1 week in central Hokkaido

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
2019 we will be limited to 1 week in Japan and looking at central HK this time. Our 2 favourite Japan trips so far have been Rusutsu (trees and slackcountry) and Okushiga Kogen 7 days hitting the gated off-piste in Okushiga and Yakebitiyama with a little piste skiing & offpiste every so often across the whole of Shiga. It will be me advanced skier and wife advanced boarder (not confident enough for crazy terrain). After reading the threads on the forum I'm thinking either Furano for a week with a day in Kamui or Tomamu for a week with a day at Sahoro. I'm a little concerned that after winter Olympic advertising Tomamu might be smashed. Probably looking late Jan or sometime in February/early march. It sounds like either would be a winner but thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts based on what we liked previously. If I had more time I would road trip around but don't want to lose too much skiing time travelling on this trip. Bigger road trip in 2020 in either central HK or Tohoku

Reactions: Tanuki

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
2019 we will be limited to 1 week in Japan and looking at central HK this time. Our 2 favourite Japan trips so far have been Rusutsu (trees and slackcountry) and Okushiga Kogen 7 days hitting the gated off-piste in Okushiga and Yakebitiyama with a little piste skiing & offpiste every so often across the whole of Shiga. It will be me advanced skier and wife advanced boarder (not confident enough for crazy terrain). After reading the threads on the forum I'm thinking either Furano for a week with a day in Kamui or Tomamu for a week with a day at Sahoro. I'm a little concerned that after winter Olympic advertising Tomamu might be smashed. Probably looking late Jan or sometime in February/early march. It sounds like either would be a winner but thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts based on what we liked previously. If I had more time I would road trip around but don't want to lose too much skiing time travelling on this trip. Bigger road trip in 2020 in either central HK or Tohoku
You like trees? Sahoro is your answer. It's not a big resort (haven't been since they opened up more terrain either), but is genuinely fun for a couple of days. Same can be said about Kamui. I think Furano is a good base to access these central resorts.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
If you’re into BC and staying around Furano do yourself a favour and get out to Tokachidake Onsen.

If you stay there be prepared for the onsen stench coming up through the drain in the overheated bedrooms, but I’d stay a night again giving you 2 days to play.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
We enjoyed Tomamu a lot, however it's even more of a bubble/stand alone resort than Rusutsu. Great riding when the snow is good, but could get boring after a few days with no fresh snow.
Beautiful part of the world.

Reactions: LDJ

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Some great skiing to be had in Central Hokkaido.

From the airport - west to east, south to north, anticlockwise loop
Mt Racey Yubari; Tomamu; Furano; Sahoro; Nukabira Gensenkyo; Asahidake; Pippu; Kamui
I like the look of this thanks for the info

Reactions: Mike Pow

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
A few yrs ago we did 4 days in each of Furano and Tumamu which felt about Right. I would be seriously bored doing a week in tumamu (and maybe Furano too).

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Some great skiing to be had in Central Hokkaido.

From the airport - west to east, south to north, anticlockwise loop
Mt Racey Yubari; Tomamu; Furano; Sahoro; Nukabira Gensenkyo; Asahidake; Pippu; Kamui

I recall that @telenomore reported that Nukabira had closed.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Yep did similar a few years back.
3 days based in Tomamu (Tomamu & Sahoro x2). Then 5 days in Furano (Furano x3, Kamui x2). Was a great time.
This is probably what we will end up doing and then head back to do a wider tour when we have more time Did you hire a car from CTS?

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
I recall that @telenomore reported that Nukabira had closed.
Yes @Heinz The top half of the Nukabira resort (i.e., the best part) closed about 3 years ago so I wouldn't go there now for the lifted skiing. But, if your kit extends to AT gear, the good thing about this closure, it now means great on piste powder
on the top half of the mountain. On that, the OP seems to be indicating a desire for sidecountry at the very least so a week here won't get boring. The gate system established about 4 years ago at the Furano resort gives access to some superb terrain, and off piste sidecountry at Tomamu is also excellent. Add in Pippu, Kamui and Asahi Dake. Plenty of options. Base can be Asahikawa or Furano. The down side of basing in Asahikawa is that it is too far from Tomamu for a day trip, or rent a car and do a road trip, staying in different places along the way.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
What a peoples thoughts on being based in Otaru?
I'm doing 3 weeks in Hokkaido next season and was planning on 1 week each Furano, Otaru & Asahikawa.

(sorry for the thread hijack LDJ!)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Yes @Heinz The top half of the Nukabira resort (i.e., the best part) closed about 3 years ago so I wouldn't go there now for the lifted skiing. But, if your kit extends to AT gear, the good thing about this closure, it now means great on piste powder
on the top half of the mountain.

Had two great days there this season.

Fresh turns on and off piste all day

Definitely going back next season

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Yep did similar a few years back.
3 days based in Tomamu (Tomamu & Sahoro x2). Then 5 days in Furano (Furano x3, Kamui x2). Was a great time.
out of these 4 resorts which resort would people recommend for sat or Sunday (assuming snow doesn’t make the choice obvious). I would rather sight see/lie in an Onsen than do some of the weekends I have skied at Happo, Niseko etc

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
What a peoples thoughts on being based in Otaru?
I'm doing 3 weeks in Hokkaido next season and was planning on 1 week each Furano, Otaru & Asahikawa.

(sorry for the thread hijack LDJ!)
I think Otaru is a secret base camp. We statyed there for a week about three years back and had (car) access to a number of hills, all within a reasonable drive from the city.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I think Otaru is a secret base camp. We statyed there for a week about three years back and had (car) access to a number of hills, all within a reasonable drive from the city.
Sounds good! It does look pretty with the canals and I am keen to check out the Nikka Whiskey distillery. Did you find there were plenty of restaurants/bars to eat out at night for the week?

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
out of these 4 resorts which resort would people recommend for sat or Sunday (assuming snow doesn’t make the choice obvious). I would rather sight see/lie in an Onsen than do some of the weekends I have skied at Happo, Niseko etc
Ahh, I'd probably lean towards Sahoro. We did it on a Sat/Sun and it was hardly even noticeable with the crowds.

If you think about weekend traffic, this is usually generated by locals coming from bigger towns. So Kamui will be hit by those coming from Asahikawa. Furano will get local influx from the town and maybe Asahikawa/Sapporo/Chitose. Tomamu is a bit more of a purpose built resort, but has other activities (such as the ice village, wave pool, etc) so might be more busy on weekends. Sahoro does have a club med, but doesn't have those extra activities so the traffic is generally those staying at the resort.

Reactions: Mike Pow and LDJ

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Sahoro definitely

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass