Predictions 10th-15th July - The Long Shot

Rat trap bindings

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2017
The BOM Beta Site for Perisher Valley is a thing of Beauty for Wed to Sunday !
Huh? Why on that site it shows rain and snow? Each way bet typical of BOM?
D6F80609-68E8-4D8D-AB8F-3CE6DDC5010A.jpeg

doogasnow

One of Us
Mar 7, 2010
Moe south
Latest access r and gfs still have 528 line barreling towards the south vic coast by lunch on Friday. But it’s not there again by 10am Saturday lol
So I’m guessing it’s all pushes through overnight Friday night and coldest has moved on by later Saturday morning imo

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Quite nice. EC still has a considerable amount of additional clear stuff so its not all perfect but it will do.
xx_model-en-304-0_modez_2019070812_150_41597_294.png

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Sorry, 90 k. Hmm, 90 k from west/norwest. What's Thredbo limit hitting flush on. 80 k?
Edit. Wait and see.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
BOM have issued a SWW for dangerous winds

upload_2019-7-9_17-7-31.png

upload_2019-7-9_17-4-26.png

A cold front will move over Victoria on WEDNESDAY, reaching the west of the state mid-late afternoon, central parts in the evening and clearing the east Thursday morning.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts to 100 km/h are expected to develop about elevated areas (above 800 metres) and coastal parts of western Victoria WEDNESDAY afternoon, extending to central and eastern parts of the warning area late WEDNESDAY afternoon and evening.

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to 90 km/h are also possible about remaining parts of the Southwest district and southwestern parts of the Wimmera district WEDNESDAY afternoon near the front, more likely associated with showers or thunderstorms.

Damaging winds are expected to gradually ease and contract to coastal parts following the passage of the front.

Locations which may be affected include Hamilton, Warrnambool, Portland, Kyneton, Ballarat, Mt Buller, Mt Hotham and Falls Creek.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-9_17-7-13.png
    upload_2019-7-9_17-7-13.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 10

Gototakahashi

Addicted
Sep 26, 2017
Hey All!
I’ve been on a holiday in the Fiji islands. Sorry!
This is the 60-80cm dump of snow I was talking about. A week ago, an small occluded front passed about 300nm south of Tasmania. This has catapulted a series of cold fronts our way over the next few days. Next week looks good too! There should be more cold fronts on their way. There were those who cast doubt among my forecasts. I do use a different method but I find it is typically pretty accurate.

See you in the powder this weekend. I’ll be at Buller.

Goto

Reactions: cornice11

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Hey All!
This is the 60-80cm dump of snow I was talking about. A week ago, an small occluded front passed about 300nm south of Tasmania. This has catapulted a series of cold fronts our way over the next few days. Next week looks good too! There should be more cold fronts on their way. There were those who cast doubt among my forecasts. I do use a different method but I find it is typically pretty accurate.

Goto
#ClaimingTheStorm

Max2000

Hard Yards
Feb 15, 2018
Do you think Buller will still get all snow on Friday? Temps looming a little bit more marginal!

Freeze levels 2 am Thursday- Model Comparison
xx_model-en-304-0_modusa_2019070806_58_13491_304.png
xx_model-en-304-0_modez_2019070800_64_13491_304.png
I appreciate you putting the date and time on the top of those charts #kletterer.
The writing is soooo small on the date bar and often written in fancy complicated meteorological terminology.
I have never seen that freezing level chart before. So cool..and very handy.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
This is looking really good. OCF tends to slightly understate precip in the mountains and it's showing a solid 50cm+ of snow settling at NSW resort level.
The thing with OCF is that it favours models which have previously performed well in that region, problem is... not all models have the topography resolution of each other. Use it to weigh falls against EC/AXS-R and you'll find it pretty freaking accurate.

U

User has resigned

The thing with OCF is that it favours models which have previously performed well in that region, problem is... not all models have the topography resolution of each other. Use it to weigh falls against EC/AXS-R and you'll find it pretty freaking accurate.

Access-r is a good resoulution model, not sure if its ocean coupled yet like the top global models..

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Yep that's exactly what I use it for - a sense check on EC numbers and a guide on where in the BOM human-moderated forecast precip range (which I assume is based on AXSR) it's likely to land. Between the three you can get a pretty good idea.

Always assumed it was something to do with orographic effects, because OCF tends to be spot on for easier areas to forecast e.g. Canberra.

Reactions: POW Hungry

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Hey All!

Goto
I believe your method model is Albino Whale influenced more than occluded fronts ?

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Hey All!

Goto
Can you go back to FIJI?????

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass