Predictions 10th-15th July - The Long Shot

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Think big.

Snow Depths Calculator | Snowy Hydro.png
I kind of remember that had to do with a volcano as well..

Reactions: crikey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Arsas

One of Us
Feb 23, 2017
Has their been a reduction in winds in this mornings update for NSW? Was checking Meteye 5 mins ago and it only shows 70+km/h Sunday night around the resorts, pretty sure yesterday it was 70+km/h later Saturday and Sunday and hanging round longer.
Also looking at Meteye the high winds look to be only at the higher elevations(resorts). Am I reading this right?
Very interested as I'm camping at Sawpit (1200m) Saturday to Wednesday.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Has their been a reduction in winds in this mornings update for NSW? Was checking Meteye 5 mins ago and it only shows 70+km/h Sunday night around the resorts, pretty sure yesterday it was 70+km/h later Saturday and Sunday and hanging round longer.
Also looking at Meteye the high winds look to be only at the higher elevations(resorts). Am I reading this right?
Very interested as I'm camping at Sawpit (1200m) Saturday to Wednesday.
35-45 knots @ ~1550m exposed reaches on Friday PM.
stormcast.html

Reactions: crikey and Arsas

PowWow

Addicted
Aug 26, 2010
Sky Weather calling for snow down to 700m on Saturday. Guessing this would be mostly VIC. Thoughts for NSW? Berridale to Jindy might be in trouble around Avonside on Saturday morning...

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I predict I will have trouble persuading my boys to go out and ski in the blizzard this weekend. I predict they will be persuaded and observations will be reported in the appropriate thread. I also predict we will be using the hated Skitube at Perisher to avoid road carnage. Now back on topic ….

Adelaidometer

One of Us
Jun 24, 2015
Looking for some road weather forecasts.

Tomorrow Thursday morning.
I'm approaching from the west.
I'm aiming to get to jindabyne by 11am tomorrow.

I always go via the alpine way from khancoban. I'm used to using chains every now and then. But I've got a funny feeling that I should probably go via Wagga and snowy mountains highway.

I'm keen for the challenge via alpine way or would there be a huge risk this time?

Cheers

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford

I always go via the alpine way from khancoban. I'm used to using chains every now and then. But I've got a funny feeling that I should probably go via Wagga and snowy mountains highway.

I'm keen for the challenge via alpine way or would there be a huge risk this time?

Cheers
@Adelaidometer I think you should go around the long way in all seriousness as seen in this graph the bulk of snow comes early hours on Thursday. Safe travels whatever you do choose.

124048_63493347e506ff5ce378e971d3cbc245.jpg

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

Cheers
Slow and steady wins the race - if going the alpine. the 'risk' is road closures. long way round if you get stuck at one.

Reactions: SMSkier

doogasnow

One of Us
Mar 7, 2010
Moe south
Bom slowly dropping snow level for southern vic, now sitting at 600m for later Friday through to Saturday morning.
Latest updates on gfs and accessr look really good with a very cold fetch and 528 thickness chugging towards the vic coast later Friday. IMO
If the charts hold similar to what they are now then I think we could possibly see flurries in the core of heavier showers maybe to 400m? IMO

Reactions: Big_Red_60

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Not often do you see an entire ten-day consecutive streak of snowfall at 36° S in Australia...I have never seen such persistently snowy conditions in my life here (July 1965 was a strong contender, but don't recall it being this persistent). The forecast looks more akin to a typical Southern Hemisphere climate at 46° S, not 36° S—remember, I'm merely elevated by 1,290 m AMSL:

Prkbpi5.jpg

Bloody oath, I'm lovin' it! My #No.1 snowiest forecast that I've ever laid gaze upon. The first flakes of snow should arrive in a matter of hours from now...wind's howling fiercely from the South-West.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Didn't hear much talk about rising snowlines until this arvo's forecast. I can see why on the charts, but any chance i won't happen?

upload_2019-7-10_16-55-33.png

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
What do you folk reckon about Buller's chances Friday? Janes EC dump estimates temps heading above 0C at 1600m. Gets cold pretty quickly later, but a fair chuck of the moisture seems to precede the drop.

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Not often do you see an entire ten-day consecutive streak of snowfall at 36° S in Australia...I have never seen such persistently snowy conditions in my life here (July 1965 was a strong contender, but don't recall it being this persistent).

Photos please, when it arrives. Love me a non-resort snowscape

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
What do you folk reckon about Buller's chances Friday? Janes EC dump estimates temps heading above 0C at 1600m. Gets cold pretty quickly later, but a fair chuck of the moisture seems to precede the drop.
I would anticipate having to possibly wait until after midday for it to change from liquid to goodness.- based on EC Rapid hourly data but perhaps eventual temp may be slightly better.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
Some rain/mix below 1500-1600m.

Still a solid 50cm in general all up IMO. Maybe more for top. TBH I'm thinking less about low level Buller and more about Summit/Howqua/Burnt Hut/maybe more...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass