Separate names with a comma.
If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues
NOTE: This notice may be closed.
Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by POW_hungry, Jun 30, 2019.
I kind of remember that had to do with a volcano as well..
Similar to 90 and 91 sans volcano
AXS-R is burying cars on the latest run.
West as bro
Hotham & The Main Range tips it's hat.
AXS-C settling on 30-40cm for today/ tomorrow (until 10am Thurs).
I can’t read the scale, but isn’t there red there, ie 60-80..?
50-60* in the Buller region.
When i look at the 48hr and 72hr AXS R Charts
I see red
I see red
I see red
Looks like a BIG “skid mark” from the SW...
Has their been a reduction in winds in this mornings update for NSW? Was checking Meteye 5 mins ago and it only shows 70+km/h Sunday night around the resorts, pretty sure yesterday it was 70+km/h later Saturday and Sunday and hanging round longer.
Also looking at Meteye the high winds look to be only at the higher elevations(resorts). Am I reading this right?
Very interested as I'm camping at Sawpit (1200m) Saturday to Wednesday.
35-45 knots @ ~1550m exposed reaches on Friday PM.
3 pronged attack.
Sky Weather calling for snow down to 700m on Saturday. Guessing this would be mostly VIC. Thoughts for NSW? Berridale to Jindy might be in trouble around Avonside on Saturday morning...
Updated SWW covers most of Victoria now, Melbourne included and much more of NSW.
That'll do pig.
Troughy train tracks
warm front included.
Nice big blob of moisture with warm front /front just enterig the bight.
Here he comes. looking angry.
I predict I will have trouble persuading my boys to go out and ski in the blizzard this weekend. I predict they will be persuaded and observations will be reported in the appropriate thread. I also predict we will be using the hated Skitube at Perisher to avoid road carnage. Now back on topic ….
Looking for some road weather forecasts.
Tomorrow Thursday morning.
I'm approaching from the west.
I'm aiming to get to jindabyne by 11am tomorrow.
I always go via the alpine way from khancoban. I'm used to using chains every now and then. But I've got a funny feeling that I should probably go via Wagga and snowy mountains highway.
I'm keen for the challenge via alpine way or would there be a huge risk this time?
@Adelaidometer I think you should go around the long way in all seriousness as seen in this graph the bulk of snow comes early hours on Thursday. Safe travels whatever you do choose.
AXS R is all of it.
Slow and steady wins the race - if going the alpine. the 'risk' is road closures. long way round if you get stuck at one.
A ball tearer for the MR in general.
Thanks POW slowly building my meteorology terminology so I can hang with the big guys... joking aside...just love these forums...the flow of data from some very knowledgeable members, is intriguing and is slowly making sense. And when it is tied to an event we all salivate for, double the enjoyment‼️
BOM have gone all in for Thredbo TS. I haven't checked the others yet.
Season starter ....
Bom slowly dropping snow level for southern vic, now sitting at 600m for later Friday through to Saturday morning.
Latest updates on gfs and accessr look really good with a very cold fetch and 528 thickness chugging towards the vic coast later Friday. IMO
If the charts hold similar to what they are now then I think we could possibly see flurries in the core of heavier showers maybe to 400m? IMO
Holy BOM upgrade, Batman!
Thredbo - between 95 and 150 mm by end of Sunday. Such a snow forecast is a BOM rarity.
Not often do you see an entire ten-day consecutive streak of snowfall at 36° S in Australia...I have never seen such persistently snowy conditions in my life here (July 1965 was a strong contender, but don't recall it being this persistent). The forecast looks more akin to a typical Southern Hemisphere climate at 46° S, not 36° S—remember, I'm merely elevated by 1,290 m AMSL:
Bloody oath, I'm lovin' it! My #No.1 snowiest forecast that I've ever laid gaze upon. The first flakes of snow should arrive in a matter of hours from now...wind's howling fiercely from the South-West.
4ft storm maybe?
EC Rapid based on hourly data.
Didn't hear much talk about rising snowlines until this arvo's forecast. I can see why on the charts, but any chance i won't happen?
What do you folk reckon about Buller's chances Friday? Janes EC dump estimates temps heading above 0C at 1600m. Gets cold pretty quickly later, but a fair chuck of the moisture seems to precede the drop.
Photos please, when it arrives. Love me a non-resort snowscape
I would anticipate having to possibly wait until after midday for it to change from liquid to goodness.- based on EC Rapid hourly data but perhaps eventual temp may be slightly better.
I'll wait 'til about Saturday or later for the best snow depth/conditions, then I'll take some photos.
NSW BOM now lowering to 700 M for CTs on Saturday
Some rain/mix below 1500-1600m.
Still a solid 50cm in general all up IMO. Maybe more for top. TBH I'm thinking less about low level Buller and more about Summit/Howqua/Burnt Hut/maybe more...
It'll be like 5-10mm below 1600m. 30-40cm before it, 40-50cm after it with more on Monday onwards.
It's not an awful forecast if you look at the big picture here.
Yeah on GFS the snowline is 1642 metres at its highest