$11 fee after 1000 posts???

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Actually there is so much affiliate marketing you could do. Would make me much happier to see you guys making money from some of that rather than the others that tout for business on here.

we gave affiliate a red hot poke in the period 2008-2012.

only accom affiliate worked in any meaningful way with wotif. Insurance was nothing.

And since then, google has downgraded any site that’s driven by affiliate revenue, the rationale being that affiliate sites get in their way when it comes to cutting a slice of the action.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Jesus, that's one sure way to make me feel sick to the guts. Maybe I'm on my own there.

<shrug>
Why? If it is a good product? Not overdone. What about all the questions that come up about cars hire in Japan? Someone else is making money out it of by getting their site clicked through to from here.

And Travel insurance? There would be lots of other things.

Reactions: Born2skii

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Organic results are now way less than 50% of searches and even then Google has all but removed forum threads from search results. Certainly they have very little ranking these days and only show up if absolutely no other content matches the query.
That's interesting. If that's the case, it won't take long for the revolt to mount. Someone will come out with another search engine, another algorithm, with another purity, with ideals of NEVER selling out, that will deliver organic results. And it will grow, and it will revolt against "the man". And we will have a new search engine to enter into the vernacular. And balance will be restored.

And then they'll sell out...

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
That's interesting. If that's the case, it won't take long for the revolt to mount. Someone will come out with another search engine, another algorithm, with another purity, with ideals of NEVER selling out, that will deliver organic results. And it will grow, and it will revolt against "the man". And we will have a new search engine to enter into the vernacular. And balance will be restored.

"Don't be evil" LOL

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
The big one that many people want on this forum is ski specific travel insurance. Year after year there seems to be a never ending discussion looking for policies that cover skiing, off piste, Heli skiing, and back country skiing. You could even have a top level membership that included an annual policy. Has that ever been seriously looked into ?
world nomads
And in this pandemic climate, COVID specific insurance:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/coronavirus-travel-during-and-after-covid.88247/#post-4412090

Reactions: piolet

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Why? If it is a good product? Not overdone. What about all the questions that come up about cars hire in Japan? Someone else is making money out it of by getting their site clicked through to from here.

I helped redesign a site (in 2018) that is entirely affiliate revenue. It produces thousands of click-bait articles a month. The entire slew of incentives is to funnel folk to just two products that generate an earn.

Affiliate was a good earn in the mid to late 2000’s for certain segments until Google figured they were passing value to sites that made an earn from other downstream e-commerce sites - i.e. the very ecommerce sites that should just be advertising with Google instead of paying out affiliates. So they tweaked their algorithms.

@CarveMan can likely expand

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

If I feel like I'm being advertised to, I'm on the defensive. That is incongruous with community. It's not what I come here for. I like to relax amongst friends. If you're here to sell me something, you're not here as my friend who's company I can enjoy. If that was the case I would drop in when I needed to know something but not hang out. I might go several years without putting in a appearance. Maybe that's just me, but while I might be a more extreme example than most in this regard, I don't think I'm alone.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
we gave affiliate a red hot poke in the period 2008-2012.

only accom affiliate worked in any meaningful way with wotif. Insurance was nothing.

And since then, google has downgraded any site that’s driven by affiliate revenue, the rationale being that affiliate sites get in their way when it comes to cutting a slice of the action.
Before my time on here.

Shame as I think selective affiliate marketing is fine. But sites where there is more than other content, just no.

I was seeing some sites with a lot of affiliate marketing still appear on page 1. I might have to go and check that. And quite often I go straight to page 2 on searches because I know page 1 is .... well influenced by who pays google money.

FYI when I searched Perisher earlier here appeared on page 2, above some of the other players in the snow industry as well.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
If I feel like I'm being advertised to, I'm on the defensive. That is incongruous with community. It's not what I come here for. I like to relax amongst friends. If you're here to sell me something, you're not here as my friend who's company I can enjoy. If that was the case I would drop in when I needed to know something but not hang out. I might go several years without putting in a appearance. Maybe that's just me, but while I might be a more extreme example than most in this regard, I don't think I'm alone.
I understand. I wasn't really thinking hard advertising, more something like - If you are looking for a car in Japan look here, And being open that it is affiliate marketing. But somehow giving value such as book after the winter specials come out.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Affiliate was a good earn in the mid to late 2000’s for certain segments until Google figured they were passing value to sites that made an earn from other downstream e-commerce sites - i.e. the very ecommerce sites that should just be advertising with Google instead of paying out affiliates. So they tweaked their algorithms.

@CarveMan can likely expand

Pretty much.

I don’t offer affiliates, I don’t pay influencers, I don’t do offline advertising, I don’t do sponsorships etc - I pay Google, and I pay Facebook. They’re the only game in town and in both cases if you don’t pay, you’re nowhere.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Ski copper! Via Fiji

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Pretty much.

I don’t offer affiliates, I don’t pay influencers, I don’t do offline advertising, I don’t do sponsorships etc - I pay Google, and I pay Facebook. They’re the only game in town and in both cases if you don’t pay, you’re nowhere.
Remember when we had a convo about one of my "suppliers" spending 20million USD on adwords alone.
Their business. Purely built on adwords and pixels.
Yet no substance. At all.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Before my time on here.

Shame as I think selective affiliate marketing is fine. But sites where there is more than other content, just no.

I was seeing some sites with a lot of affiliate marketing still appear on page 1. I might have to go and check that. And quite often I go straight to page 2 on searches because I know page 1 is .... well influenced by who pays google money.

FYI when I searched Perisher earlier here appeared on page 2, above some of the other players in the snow industry as well.

If you’re not 1 or 2 for a search result there is no economic volume of traffic (not as a business) Page 2 is to be invisible.

We all occasionally look past the top results and maybe move to page two. But statistically, less than 45% of google searches even leave google now.

Google have won the internet (in the west) Back in 1997, every man and their dog wanted to be THE ONE PORTAL to the internet, so as to be the gatekeeper, the ferryman who clipped a ticket on all who passed.

They all wanted it. Yahoo, Lycos, AOL, Looksmart, Infoseek, HotBot, Prodigy, Excite, MSN, Alta Vista, etc etc.

Google won, they are now that one portal that clips a ticket on all who pass.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
If you’re not 1 or 2 for a search result there is no economic volume of traffic (not as a business) Page 2 is to be invisible.

We all occasionally look past the top results and maybe move to page two. But statistically, less than 45% of google searches even leave google.

Google have won the internet (in the west) Back in 1997, every man and their dog wanted to be THE ONE PORTAL to the internet, so as to be the gatekeeper, the ferryman who clipped a ticket on all who passed.

They all wanted it. Yahoo, Lycos, AOL, Looksmart, Infoseek, HotBot, Prodigy, Excite, MSN, Alta Vista, etc etc.

Google won, they are now that one portal that clips a ticket on all who pass.
Are you telling me that using ‘ask Jeeves’ is not the best experience I could be having?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I understand. I wasn't really thinking hard advertising, more something like - If you are looking for a car in Japan look here, And being open that it is affiliate marketing. But somehow giving value such as book after the winter specials come out.
That would be enough to do it to me. I'd be out of here.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
The value in the information that can be gleaned from ski.com.au is that it is from nobodies, minor players, individuals and it is subject to significant peer review.
That dynamic is completely destroyed by affiliate marketing. Advice is delivered based on who is paying to give you advice. I hate that, as much as I accept it's a pervasive reality in society. Maybe that's part of why I often don't engage freely in society.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Reminds me of an ex colleague. Every morning he would start up internet explorer and the first thing he did was to type "google" into bing.
And then type a fully qualified domain name into "google".

I've never understood what mental model peeps are working on with that.

Reactions: piolet

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
And then type a fully qualified domain name into "google".

I've never understood what mental model peeps are working on with that.
:headbang:
teaching an adult class and having one "student" telling those next to him that that is what they were supposed to do when they had been doing it right before that. pig headed, arrogant git

Reactions: cold wombat

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I understand what you are saying. And I really dislike aggressive advertising. Well apart from on my computer I see or hear few ads. But I like information and I am not adverse to supporting those that provide me with good information. But it needs to be transparent. So I would not be adverse to say, the annual where to hire cars in Japan thread, having a page header with something saying if you are hiring from these guys support us by using our affiliate link to go to the car hire website.

I am not actually suggesting that should happen as it probably isn’t worth the effort. I am just saying that I think that sort of an advertisement is ok.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Forget advertising. Sell value add services. What that means will change with context and where you divide the line between free and paid premium services is a delicate balancing act. It's been around for a good few years now. Goes by the name "freemium". Is difficult. Requires scale well beyond the size of this place as a rule unless you're in a high value niche.

If we want this place, we have to throw a few Bob into the kitty because the stark reality is nobody else will pay anything like enough to support our playground. Even then there is a big chunk of professional charity on the part of the admins. If this place didn't already exist, it wouldn't be built from scratch. The value proposition simply isn't there.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
No, you use it as adds.
Wrt the last few years, I think you have me confused with someone else. I would have to check, but from memory it is a long time since anyone from here has stayed with me. I stopped posting for 18 months because of the bullying.

And as I said in an early post, the use of “we” was meant collectively and more a reference to people who give information freely with no commercial benefit.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW

Duck duck go...

:goose::goose::out:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass