Separate names with a comma.
We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.
NOTE: This notice may be closed.
Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Snow Blowey, Sep 6, 2017.
yr/EC also looking at snow on Saturday 16th
The 2 periods of interest. First lot will see a downgrade IMO.
EC still similar to previous runs with slightly better heights . Perhaps not particularly well stacked IMO.
Quite a contrast from previous runs .
OnTheSnow Showing some potential, lets hope it plays out! Cold air needs to arrive ASAP for this to be pulled off
" Small top up on the way for ski resorts in cracker season
Rob Sharpe, Saturday September 9, 2017 - 15:14 EST
Australia's resorts are enjoying their best weekend in over a decade.
Snow is deeper than 2 metres at multiple resorts and the skies are clearing and winds abating. For those planning to turn it into a long weekend, Monday should also be great with just the chance of a couple of showers, most likely in the afternoon.
On Tuesday and early Wednesday it will be warmer, with some snow melt and patchy rain. However this is merely a precursor to a fresh snow event coming later on Wednesday and into Thursday. Another round of snowfalls is then due on Saturday, making sure that Sunday will be a great day on the slopes to round out another weekend. "
Seems we will have some nice cold temps above 1600m IMO, Can anyone bring a EC or GFC update plz
GFS Looking Good.. I think
Extended date range to the 17th
Lol this is one of the best finishes to a snow season I can remember I reckon!!
Two more solid winter blasts next week with more potential low level snow imo
EC has evolved alot over the last couple of days.
Looks like we're yet to see the season's peak depth yet. Hopefully we can sneak in few cms before SC depth is taken next week.
I think this one on Wednesday is pretty much locked in now with all models in agreement.
High over WA holds off enough to see some SW flow before the ridge sets in.
We'll see some pre-frontal rain ahead of the cold air.
I am less confident about Saturday for now, but following some rain I think we'll see 15-25cm for Wednesday/Thursday in the interim, atleast until Friday night, Saturday locks in. IMO.
GFS is for the 13th this morning. And the 18th but that's too far out for GFS. Wowee, what a September. Weather and lots of it.
Snow-Forecast is broken I think
41.6cm to Friday night.
23.3cm on Saturday.
Looks like a 30-50cm event for Perisher, if Saturday holds. Looks nice.
EC Wednesday and Thursday...
EC Friday night and Saturday....
GFS- Showing less prefrontal with the trough deepening as it reaches the coast.IMO
Weekend 1500 freeze level looks better today IMO
Baw Baw could see another very snowy period Friday night into Saturday, some strong SSW winds are on the cards!
EC and GFS loving Tassie for Friday IMO.
Corn harvest may have to wait.
Some healthy Vertical Velocity on the approach . Moisture (vapour transfer) looking ok at 700 hPa as well ( mid level cloud) Potential for some nice healthy plumes over the hills IMO.
AXS G Going for a clipper on Saturday, still not locked in IMO.
Looking cold early Thursday AM. Coupled with diurnal lows, I think Southern Vic could see snow down to 600/700m, whilst CT's and Southern Tablelands could see snow above 900m, albeit light.
Looks good for some blizzard conditions Thursday.
BOM going for possible snow In Katoomba on Thursday
Wednesday's hit on EC (00Z), pre-frontal looking a little lighter perhaps, with the colder air a few hours behind the front?
Cold shot on Saturday AM looking quick. Can't see any big falls with the 1016-1020hPa pressure IMO.
Yep doesn't look like more than 5-10mm of prefrontal rain.
Basic ingredients- Not too shabby thickness and virt temps. IMO.
Most importantly , MCG forecast for the big game
Watch this front on Wednesday night blow temps out of the water with it's passing on Wednesday night.
Towns in the BMs and Central Tablelands will feel like mid-summer Wednesday and followed mid-winter Thursday.
BoM going for snow above 800m in the CTs Thursday, I think this will increase a bit as we edge closer.
just saw that
wait for the media bs
Im seeing this (thurs) as a particularly borderline event for buller.
*but you ski hotham
Certainly for the first half.
**not on day trips
Im inclined to divide it into 5ths for buller, in the following sequence.
Snow (sweet spot while its falling)
Mizzle. Heavy, dripping trees and wet gear.
Snow then clear. (Sweet spot during and after)
*on current maps
From my learned observations. Buller has a sweet spot measured in microns
It's Australias Ruapehu... Without the epic altitude
Direct hit from the SW is the only sure thing.
I don't think those who skied Buller last Tuesday or Wednesday would agree with you.
Buller doesn't get much sweetness, but when it does it is king.
I see maybe 10cm of snow for Buller and s**tloads of r**n in between. Definitely not a season ender, but will probably end the season for the lower lifts. Not pretty at all. Glad I am up this weekend, not the next.
The other major resorts will probably get a bit of a net gain from last week's system, looking at current forecasts.
Buller has this odd parochial malaise
Tues Wed are two days from 100 day season..
Which at Buller. Is 800 days on average.
Having ridden everywhere in Australia, I'll take those 2 days at buller over 20 similar ones at perisher.
Alas, morning runs good for big 4. Buller be all buller with this system imo
OT, but I think Donnas correct.
The sweet spot for epicness is small.
Now until wednesday am 50mm -
Wednesday late morning/pm 10-15 cm-
Early Thursday am 10mm mizzle-
Friday Rain 40mm
Overnight friday/Saturday 20cm plus
just looked up work on yr.no for the week.. outdoor prac work planned for both Wed and thursday.....
four day rules looking decent.
How many of those days didn't have pea soup Buller fog.
half a day, maybe a whole day at best.
*not a concern of mine