Deanski

Addicted
Jun 26, 2017
Cronulla
Yesterday....

IMG_2275.JPG

Today...,,,,

IMG_2279.JPG

There's heaps up high based on what I saw till 4 pm on Eyre plus the overnight falls!!
Mate they are sensational comparison photos...perfect for us at home that can often have a hard time judgin jsut how much has fallen.....my pics of the week. Thank you ! :thumbs:

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
...........the Poma cable looked so low that you might hook your neck (would still be 3 mtrs but) so in that area I can only guess how much landed there, but a bl**dy lot.........Bob

Really enjoying sitting here in Sydney reading this NOT!!!!! That poma used to lift my child off the ground in places, I observe there must be a lot of snow there.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Kosi Express is still open, but it is blowing a gale and white out conditions are prevalent. Would say there has been at least another 15-20cm since lifts open.
so a good 40-50cm in the Eagles Nest measuring area, for the last few hours @Donzah
Smashing that storm total.;)

I observe it's chucking it down on Thredbo's Cruiser live cam RN. Like hosing it down!

Reactions: Craig B and PMG
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
so a good 40-50cm in the Eagles Nest measuring area, for the last few hours @Donzah
Smashing that storm total.;)

I observe it's chucking it down on Thredbo's Cruiser live cam RN. Like hosing it down!
I'm off to measure Perisher at the top of the sun valley T..its what 1937m asl? Victorians can only dream of such loft.

*perisher cams nuclear as well.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That pop wizz bang about to hit our SA friends looks juicy. WZ has a bunch of + showing up on the sat pics.

Reactions: mick chopps

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I observe my child picked the wrong week for school camp and I picked the wrong week to get a Hernia.

Jon snow

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2015
I spent the morning lapping the Tbars on Mt P the vis up the top was terrible but through the trees on the bottom half was magic. There was about 25cm of fresh on top of a solid sheet of ice when I dug a hole amongst the trees near the bottom of eyre. Now off to intercepter to see what it's like over there.

neck_deep

Addicted
May 10, 2011
5 hours from Hotham
First 4 hours of the day were creamy untracked goodness at thredbo if don't mind dealing with a bit of vertigo to get there. Probably got the claimed 15 but not a heap coming down through the morning. Net loss down low but everything is still game on. Gear a touch 'damp' as I retreated to the car though.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Suns out in the major Australian City...bit breezy though....:emoji_white_sun_small_cloud:

How are the motor homes riding the wind out in the backcountry settlement of Island Bend?:emoji_tiger:

Last edited:

Makazaru

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney, NSW, Aust.
Arrived at Smiggins about 12:30 to light/moderate sago, not settling on cars in the carpark. About half an hour ago turned to flakes, now falling heavily, although not pukage, and settling very well. Car beside us has picked up about a cm in the last half hour.
Wind doesn't appear to have shifted much, but the vis has dropped from a few hundred metres (bottom of smigs to top) down to about half that. Hopefully setting in for a solid afternoon

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I observe BOM are persisting with the term "snow showers" in predicting 40-70mm of precipitation at Perisher today. I'd like to see their definition of "snow".
I might be wrong but "showers" can start and end suddenly..and can get very heavy quickly.... while "rain" or "snow" has more consistant fall rates and duration.

Yeah Heavy showers sounds like a oxymoron

Vandans

Addicted
Aug 15, 2012
ACT
Correct lady Penelope. They used to use, light , medium and heavy. Where the term snow showers came from is beyond me. And while I am at it, the term fine does not seem to used anywhere else but in Oz. Fine!!! what is it supposed to mean, no mention of cloud wind but suggesting no precipitation!!!. In France they have symbols on the charts for high cloud. Here they say partly cloudy. A real problem if you are a photographer.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I observe BOM are persisting with the term "snow showers" in predicting 40-70mm of precipitation at Perisher today. I'd like to see their definition of "snow".
As per obs (and a flaky AWS site), there have been breaks in the bands hitting both Perisher & Thredbo.
As is the nature with bands hitting the Main Range the lee side of the slopes (where Thredbo & Perisher sit) there often tends to be breaks in the weather - kinda the phase before the rain shadow kicks in. From experience, Vic alps tend to get a more sustained flow of shower activity to warrant 'Snow', as opposed to 'Snow Showers'. The amount of moisture/precip doesn't really have any bearing on the definition per say.
This is evident in Falls Forecast today as it reads "Snow".

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Looks like the snow depth came in at 164cms....that's a net loss of only 15 cms. Should recover that in the next 24 hours which is not a bad result after so much r**n!

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I've found "snow" is usually associated with onshore SE systems...oddly
Kinda what I am getting at above... If it's inbound from the West you'll get some shadowing and breaks on the lee side of the MR (where Thredbo & Perisher sit). SE flow would not have nearly the shadowing as it'll be straight come straight up the guts of the main range - meaning a more sustained precip period.

Mctavish

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2003
I observe they need to remove snow from Sun Valley T Bar as Ts are hitting skiers on the head. Too much snow there; and they need to raise the Happy Valley card reader - it's now too low.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass