WA 14 day forecast - WA coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Hey Guys, is there any merit at all trying to predict how precip and wind may be looking for November 1 - 3rd on WA coast? (around Green head area). Was originally going to head south but want to minimise chances of camping in rain.

I look at some sites like WINDY which do up to 10 days out, and there's the "myweather" (http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Australia/Western-Australia/Yanchep/14-Day-Forecast.aspx ) which show a 14 day forecast - but i'm curous where the models / predictions actually derive from and how I may access them?

I know the weather is to be taken with a pinch of salt, but hey its basically gambling without the spend so why not

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Cheers T, Windy only shows 10 days , so i wondered where this other mob are getting data for 14 days out.

Precip is main concern, camped in 20mm of rain last weekend (music festival)... not keen on that again ha ha (not when its' WA and we're generally spoilt)

the 14 day shows on MyWeather shows fronts - so i figured i'll head north a few hrs, instead of south a few hrs (was going to take the wife n sprogs down to Fontys pool).

Reactions: POW Hungry

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
the 14 day shows on MyWeather shows fronts - so i figured i'll head north a few hrs, instead of south a few hrs (was going to take the wife n sprogs down to Fontys pool).
I'd imagine that would be Long Range GFS.

Reactions: Darb

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Hey Guys, is there any merit at all trying to predict how precip and wind may be looking for November 1 - 3rd on WA coast? (around Green head area). Was originally going to head south but want to minimise chances of camping in rain.

I look at some sites like WINDY which do up to 10 days out, and there's the "myweather" (http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Australia/Western-Australia/Yanchep/14-Day-Forecast.aspx ) which show a 14 day forecast - but i'm curous where the models / predictions actually derive from and how I may access them?

I know the weather is to be taken with a pinch of salt, but hey its basically gambling without the spend so why not
Hmmm, Green Head, November ... Windy! Schedule all outdoor activities for before 10am. Or better still, head for somewhere in the forest.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I can’t get WA weather right one day out, let alone a 14 day forecast o_O

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Hmmm, Green Head, November ... Windy! Schedule all outdoor activities for before 10am. Or better still, head for somewhere in the forest.

Yeah, it's a gamble. There are a couple of beach nooks / bays which are decent for hiding from the southerly in though.

We were going to head south toward Manjimup and forests, but at this stage it looks like there might be some precip around, so I want to avoid rain as best can be - and thus I want to head north. It's a shake down trip for some new gear, new trailer, and a new camper for a mate .... so if we get a windy couple of days that's OK - we'll make do.

there's no forest or inland stuff North .... all the forests are south as you know, and likely be wet.

Can zip out and check out the stockyard gully caves again too, worst case we can drink and watch the kids fight each other.

Manjimup / Fonty's I'll save for hotter weather when its 40c in Perth and 33c down there :)

GreenHead-Jan-2018--1032.jpg
GreenHead-Jan-2018--1033.jpg
GreenHead-Jan-2018--1034.jpg
GreenHead-Jan-2018--1036.jpg

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yeah, probably GFS for that far out as pointed out above, but they publish that it's an aggregate of different sources (which is good IF it's interpreted consistently).
All Weather2 services are driven by continuous high speed access to a wide variety of both observational and forecast model data. Various atmospheric and oceanographic models are run to provide unique and timely output tailored to our customer's requirements and are reviewed by experienced meteorologists to deliver clients and Website users with the best information available to make decisions.

Weather2 services are also derived from data gathered from:

• World Meteorological Organization GTS land, ship and data buoy observations
  • Global weather satellite imagery from both polar orbiting and geostationary satellites
  • NCEP Global Forecast System (GFS) atmospheric mode output (to 16 days)
  • ECMWF atmospheric model output
  • Japan Meteorological Agency atmospheric model for northern Asia
Weather2 are headquartered in Glasgow, Scotland and have offices in London, England and Zagreb, Croatia.
As I say I haven't used MyWX2 so can't remark on it's cred. The problem is they publish LR in a meteogram format. Meteograms are great for 'mesoscale' forecasts 1-7 days out. Beyond this you'll see alot of swinging run to run...
A bit like watching the footy with binoculars, you might see the play but not the field.

IMO Synoptic scale charts are gonna give you a broader picture of trends, adjustments and most synoptic features.

RE: Green Head - it loves a deepening trough at this time of year. So whilst rain isn't your biggest threat I think 20 knots out of the NW might be one to watch, as GFS takes a punt at here:
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_aus_45.png

Reactions: nfip and Jellybeans

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Yeah, probably GFS for that far out as pointed out above, but they publish that it's an aggregate of different sources (which is good IF it's interpreted consistently).

As I say I haven't used MyWX2 so can't remark on it's cred. The problem is they publish LR in a meteogram format. Meteograms are great for 'mesoscale' forecasts 1-7 days out. Beyond this you'll see things alot of swinging run to run...
A bit like watching the footy with binoculars, you might see the play but not the field.

IMO Synoptic scale charts are gonna give you a broader picture of trends, adjustments and most of synoptic features.

RE: Green Head - it loves a deepening trough at this time of year. So whilst rain isn't your biggest threat I think 20 knots out of the NW might be one to watch, as GFS shoots for:
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_aus_45.png

Cheers!
NORTH west you reckon! I thought the kite-surfing-season southerlies would be smashing through at that time of year.

Think i'll take wind over rain though.

Knowing our luck the rain won't eventuate for the south. Mainly making a decision as we had to pay for booking by today if we wanted to keep our south plan, and i really CBF with a downpour lol.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
ps those pics above were all in a 25 knot southerly (hence there's a lot of peanuts on the beach - we're heading outside of peak period , not shcool hols, should get lucky).

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Cheers!
NORTH west you reckon! I thought the kite-surfing-season southerlies would be smashing through at that time of year.

Think i'll take wind over rain though.

Knowing our luck the rain won't eventuate for the south. Mainly making a decision as we had to pay for booking by today if we wanted to keep our south plan, and i really CBF with a downpour lol.
IMG_5435.PNG

And EPS agrees with what POW is saying, NW winds along that part of Coast, less strong than the deterministic GFS. Perhaps the chance of some rain as the trough heads towards the coast on the 1-3 Nov.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
IMG_5435.PNG

And EPS agrees with what POW is saying, NW winds along that part of Coast, less strong than the deterministic GFS. Perhaps the chance of some rain as the trough heads towards the coast on the 1-3 Nov.

In terms of rain though, it'll be a lot less than the south west down around Manjimup - surely? that's usually the case with our cold fronts

Reactions: POW Hungry

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Ironically a NW wind I could put up with - it's almost always a SSW I'm getting shitty at - so a NW , there's other bays that are protected in those too :)

Direct West tends to suck immensely.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Ironically a NW wind I could put up with - it's almost always a SSW I'm getting shitty at - so a NW , there's other bays that are protected in those too :)

Direct West tends to suck immensely.
I hear you mate. Gotta roll the dice this far out. Stay positive etc.

Right now, FWIW, it's kinda the scenario that means winds outta the north at Sunrise, freo doctor southerly by midday... There's enough heat inland to flick the seabreeze in those LR charts.

Stay with us mate, I can throw my two cents worth in every few days.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
So yesterday the MyWeather 14 day had it all as sunny and 25c with easterlies in morning, now it's back to rain and onshore as shit.. models must be flapping wildly

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Can't see much in the way of rain in this range (1-3rd Nov), Brad.
There's a decent (ridged) front passing through (~2nd Nov) but looks to move through quickly with bugger all moisture in it. Variable Easterlies to begin with, Southerlies thereafter IMO.

Reactions: Darb
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass