1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

16 year old Ski Boots.....are they done ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Me+3, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Me+3

Me+3 Addicted

Had my boots for 16 years.
    They were fitted for me way back then.
    They seem to have gradually started to 'wear out'.. both in the soles and the inners.
    My feet are starting to get a bit sorer in places that haven't in the past.

Shall I just bight the bullet and get some new ones ?

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

3. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Depends how old you are ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mine are 14 years old, I've just "life-extended" them (back in Feb anyway) by putting new liners in. They've had new soles too - still performing well.

Chaeron and rowdyflat like this.
  5. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

They’re done!

Spence likes this.
  6. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What Buzzy said . Plastic tech has come along in 16 yrs . Have had the whole toe separate on brittle old boots . Dangerous

whether, BoofHead, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  7. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Same here.

kaegee likes this.
  8. rowdyflat

My tourers are 14yo have done over 150 days ,still are fine.
    The inner are the bit that needs attention , I just take off tiny bits off pressure points = 1mm as my feet spread slightly with age.
    If you are young you will get 15 years out of the next pair .
    I doubt that plastic tech has changed for Scarpa T4 s.
    Its a bit like politics whatever you ask, 90 % of the posters on here are predictable.
    If you ask them they will say boots and skis have changed radically in the last 5 years and help make you better . If you are a decent skier it makes no difference.
    My philosophy is to consume less , some dont understand that.
    Get out the umbrella, duck, the shitstorm is coming .!!!!

Fozzie Bear, crackson, Sago and 2 others like this.
  9. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Your boots are the most important bit of kit, so as others have said yes it sounds like they're well done. If the shells are fine you might get away with replacing the soles and liners, but as others here have said the shell tech has changed, plus the flex or style of the boot may no longer suit you as well. And they're already 16 years old, even if you do invest in fixing them up they could wear out the very next day - the shells only have so much life in them no matter how careful you've been with them.

10. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

New boot time

Annabuzzy likes this.
  11. rowdyflat

Nah she'll be right.Use duct tape .
    shell tech has changed,told you someone would say that, please tell us Carve Man how has it changed ?

12. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Why don't you buy (insert brand / model here) they're the best boots everrrrr. These boots are so rad and comfortable and allow me to ski like the true god that I am.

Just thought I'd save some keystrokes for the team. Use the above template for your recommendations and just insert the brand and model where indicated. Go for it.

13. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Nice of you to cherry-pick. I wasn't saying get new boots because the tech has advanced. I said that boot shells have a finite life and even if they have life in them now, it may not last long. If it was a 6 year old boot - sure get new liners, that's sensible. 16 years old... not worth it in my opinion, just get new boots.

Get whatever your boot fitter tells you is right for you.

Chaeron likes this.
  14. fenrir

fenrir One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Haha while I agree that general advice isn't helpful I can say that intuition liners are incredibly comfy, and often available as an after market option if the old ones are starting to pack out. New liners can make it feel like you have a whole new boot, as long as the plastic isn't messed up from hundreds of freeze and thaw cycles.

Chaeron and DPS Driver like this.
  15. Philpug

Philpug Hard Yards

A 16 year old boot is probably a variation of a 20-25 year old design. Are we still skiing the same way as were roughly two decades ago? At the turn of the century, we were still trying to figure this whole lateral skiing/carving out. The only boot that has survived is an anomaly, the Full Tilt and that has just a limited appeal with park kids and Bode Miller. I was in a Flexon for over 20 years so I am familiar with the boot and I am aware of it's limitations, note that even I abandoned the boot too,

Stance of a modern boot is also dramatically different with having a much more upright cuff and less delta in the footbed. Plastics have also come a long way with much lighter and more durable options.

So, I would say if you want to move into the modern era of skiing, invest in a new boot, if you are happy where you are in your skiing, put new liners in. But you are not doing yourself any favors by doing the latter.

Arne, Aractus, climberman and 4 others like this.
  16. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I’ll preface everything Im about to say with “what the hell would I know I’m s snowboarder, the boots are a bit different”...
    But:
    FIFTEEN YEARS!! Really? I’m lucky if my (snowboard) boots do two seasons! But I guess it’s about hours in the saddle so to speak less so than hours in the cupboard. If you’re a 2 week a year skier maybe they’ll last that long, no way skiing 3-6 months a year they’ll make it much more than a couple of seasons.
    That has to be rubbish. Even in boarding where the boot plays less of a role a slack ill fitting old boot isn’t going to give you the same performance as a newer well fitting stiffer boot.
    Great philosophy. But sometimes you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face.

We have a friend, he’s a bit older than us, was with PB in Zermatt and was complaining about his Helly Hanson Jacket not being waterproof anymore and how he was getting wet and cold while everyone else wasn’t. He actually took the jacket into the store and tried to get a free replacement on his FOURTEEN year old jacket as it had a lifetime warranty when he bought it. Ahhh righto- lifetime of the jacket, not YOUR lifetime lol. And water proofing is so far advanced on so long ago it’s not funny. Kicker is the guy is a multi millionaire... just buy a new jacket mate...

Im all for consuming less or handing down items with good life left in them. But if your 16yr old ski boots are giving you trouble then it’s probably well past time to replace them.

crackson likes this.
  17. rowdyflat

Pointless commenting on here .
    We have everyone from snowboarders in snowboots from 3-6 months a year , egg beaters who ski at perisher 3 days a year from the Australian Bight and me and stating that T4 telemark boots havent changed in 15 years , so compare apples with apples please.
    So yeah you definitely need new boots , A 16 year old boot is probably a variation of a 20-25 year old design and they are dangerous, the toes might fall off .
    Lucky it hasnt been reported to Worksafe.

18. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Uv stabilsation has greatly improved in modern plastics.

16 yr old boots are way more prone to total shell failure than current models will be at the same age.

What is your life worth?

climberman and CarveMan like this.
  19. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This.

Not unusual to see an old boot disintegrate, I’ve seen a boot sole still in the binding come away from the rest of the boot and slide down the lsope.

climberman and Chaeron like this.
  20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

So because I board I can’t offer an opinion?

FYI I also have ski boots. They’re in near perfect condition and don’t give me any trouble at 5 years old. I can’t see me replacing them for a while but they are in the days per year use range.

The issue here is the OPs boots ARE giving him issues. At 16yrs old you’d be mad to try to extend the life of them given the horror stories about plastics separating. The worst a boarder will get is wet feet from a seam failure, blisters and reduced performance.

I understand the opinion on reducing consumption, but I don’t understand the lashing out at those who have the opposite opinion.

crackson likes this.
  21. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

BoofJnr has the whole front end come off one of his boots. Thankfully on the way to lifts. Could of been messy if on the way down.

22. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if a spelling mistake or you have invented to new word to describe empty Covid slopes?

23. CarveMan

lol

Slope.

And it’s true, I’ve seen it a few times.

Onlybackscratchers likes this.
  24. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You did get some nice turns on the Isopes back in May..

25. CarveMan

And thank christ I did!

26. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A few years ago I was still using boots that were in the ~15 year age group. The heel pieces completely disintegrated and I managed to find a guy in the UK that had replacements and I thought I would just keep using them forever.

However, it wasn't too long afterwards, that the plastic around the buckles on one boot developed a "rip" and I ended up getting new ones, as it became obvious they were completely done by then.

I didn't fancy the thought of catastrophic disintegration somewhere, or walking home in wet socks...

rowdyflat and crackson like this.
  27. rowdyflat

Didnt say that .
    Definist fallacy.

28. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Chuckle .. mine was at the top of Funnel Web . Fun trip down on one ski .

BoofHead likes this.
  29. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Risk death/disability to you or a 3rd party to save $800?

#darwinawardcandidates

30. rowdyflat

$800 is $ 800

fenrir likes this.
  31. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

What a great reply - I couldn't agree more. @rowdyflat - spend the 800 bucks on the boots first, not the skis. Worry about the skis later.

crackson and Philpug like this.
  32. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My Nordica Speedmachines from 04/05 are still in solid shape, albeit on their fourth set of liners (Intuition). They were modded when new to stand me more upright in the ankle and a beefier power strap, and have had zero shell work since. I keep them in a slopeside building so it would be very rare for me to walk on anything but snow. Unsurprisingly the toe and heel pads are still in good condition. All buckles are still original. Overall a well made piece of kit.

I love the way they ski, very stiff laterally but only medium stiff forward. That and the upright stance allows for smooth progressive flexion and pressure control. Great boot for me, and I plan to keep them until bits start falling off them.

kaegee, rowdyflat and Annabuzzy like this.
  33. Philpug

Philpug Hard Yards

How many days a season to you ski? 30, 40...50? Say it's the low, 30...times that by the 15 years...thats 450 days in the shells. The plastic is tired and fatigued..you might not feel the gradual decline in performance but it is there. Again, your call but I am not sure if you are trying to convince everyone else or yourself but I do know you are not doing your skiing any favors.

crackson likes this.
  34. sly_karma

I'm a weekend skier so the 30-40 days a season range, and you're probably right about the slow degradation of the shells. I did way more for my skiing by losing 60 lb last year, a new pair of boots could never make that much difference. I buy one new equipment item each season, and this year the most pressing was a new jacket since the old one is way too big for me now. So maybe boots next season. I see that Nordica still makes Speedmachine so maybe I'll update. Maybe.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  35. jgm

jgm Addicted

The biggest issue with keeping them may be getting replacement heel and toe inserts.

36. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Don’t make the mistake I made some years ago when you update. I decided at the end of our Japan trip that my 10 year old boots had come to their end. So after last day skiing I offered them to our lodge owners (as their rentals looked as old as my boots LOL). They happily took them, so less luggage to take home. Months later, I went to buy some new boots and realised I had forgotten to take the custom footbeds out of the old ones. Dick!

Roymond, Philpug, Born2skii and 2 others like this.
  37. Philpug

Philpug Hard Yards

The new Speedmachine is a different boot than yours and if you lost 60lb...you will need a different boot, but go into the fit process with an open mind, there are a lot of very good boots out there that fit different ways.

Roymond likes this.
  38. sly_karma

Yeah I had to get new liners, I was slopping around badly the first couple days until the light bulb went on. Fat be everywhere.

39. CarveMan

When you get new boots you will kick yourself for not doing it earlier

climberman and Telemark Phat like this.
  40. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

You answered your own question :p:p:p:p:p

DPS Driver likes this.
  41. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Day 1 of my France ski trip a couple of years ago: Take various lifts and gondolas to the top of Courcheval. Head off down the first run and about 300m into it my 11 year old ski boot split right across. It was a looooong ski down to town on a single ski.

Plastic is great until it's not.

kaegee, climberman and BoofHead like this.
  42. sly_karma

Yeah yer prolly right, but there's a lot of shell work to be done to get that initial fit so I procrastinate. Liners perk things up for a while and they only take a morning to dial in.

I'll keep the old slippers for race days though, the thought of sitting in a timing shack for hours in stiff new boots makes my feet ache even now. I already have a pair of obsolete GS race skis i keep as course access boards, I'll just keep their bindings set for the old boots.

kaegee, Dave6 and Annabuzzy like this.
  43. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Solved !
    High end boots don't seem to have that plastic "old age" disintegration.
    I have seen both boots blow on the same day, but always when the shells have a matt finish.
    My rear entries now have the flex set to minimum but are still favourites.

44. rowdyflat

Just had a thought that maybe the plastic in tele boots ,my sole reference point for my long lasting claim , are designed to be more flexible and therefore better resist the rigors of time .