18/19 Revelstoke Banff Silverstar

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hoodie

Hoodie Early Days

We have been enjoying white Christmas’s for the last few years and have come to love Sun Peaks so much so we have made it our destination for 3 of the last 5 trips (breaks in between) and although we really like being there we don’t want to flog it to death. That being said we already have plans to go back there in 19/20 season...

This year is one of the “break” years and ever since our honeymoon (which did not happen due to budget constraints) some 17 years ago, we wanted to spend time in Banff and in particular at the Chateau Lake Louise so this year we are finally doing it! One thing I have quickly learned is that as soon as you have more than one destination it really pushes up your budget... ouch

We are almost all locked in all apart for 2 nights which should be confirmed today, our trip is:
    - 13 nights Revelstoke
    - 6 nights Banff
    - 2 nights Lake Louise
    - 3 nights Silverstar

Decided to do several places because we have booked a car this year so getting around should be easy, albeit tough snow driving, and we want to see and do different things. The car will be mostly parked while at Revelstoke but it will be fully used the rest of the trip. Booked the car (Jeep Grand Cherokee M&S tyres) through Enterprise.

We added Silverstar in at the end to break the drive back to YVR and to also check it out for future years.

Air tickets were QF points and we used a travel agent for the accommodation all except for Banff where we booked direct. Only thing left to do is to decide how we do the ski tickets and have been considering getting Mountain Collective tickets for the 3 of us (14 year old in tow) I have to sit down and do the sums, this year we would get benefit from the Thredbo 2 days add on. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Any suggestions on things to see and do while we are traveling would be appreciated including restaurant suggestions.

oldgeezer likes this.
  2. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Frisby Ridge sushi/Asian in downtown Revelstoke.
    Walliser Stube for fondue at Chateau LL

Good plan on splitting the drive from the rockies back to Vancouver. Make sure to leave lots of time for the drive from Vernon to YVR. Plan on checking the weather the day before and leaving then if a big storm is coming in.

Hoodie likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Plan your timing at chateau lake louise around room costs.

Over xmas/ny you will need to donate a kidney

Hoodie likes this.
  4. pedub

pedub Addicted

In rev there is a beer bar with over 20 beers on tap and nice food. Never seen so many types of mac n cheese.
    https://www.craftbierhaus.com/
    Worth visiting if you like beer

The Plowking and Hoodie like this.
  5. Hoodie

Hoodie Early Days

We are at Revelstoke first from the 20th Dec for 13 nights - I have had to hand over the kidney for that one... Chateau LL funny enough is cheaper

6. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Novelty of a white Christmas has a harsh price tag.

7. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

You said dates are locked in for accom but is often easy to cancel accom in canada with no penalty. I just did pretty much 4 weeks around powder highway and similar area this year from 26th December. Rev is awesome but I would chop off 3-4 days and hit kicking horse on the way to Banff (ignore this if you aren’t decent intermediate or advanced skiers/borders)

Awesome skiing and really good/cheaper accomodation on snow than Rev including balcony hot tub etc

Crystal, sly_karma and SnowRabbit like this.
  8. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

^^ what they said

9. pedub

pedub Addicted

Totally! Still dreaming of KH....

SnowRabbit likes this.
  10. Hoodie

Hoodie Early Days

Kicking Horse is not on our agenda this year, already doing enough.

11. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

You will literally be driving right past Kickijg Horse. The runs are easily visible from the TransCanada. Even if you decide not to ski it, at least take the gondola ride and go to Eagle Eye for lunch.

Hoodie likes this.
  12. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

And then ski for the day anyway because.

sly_karma likes this.
  13. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

If you're driving right past and have the time you'd be crazy not to ski it at least for the day. It's a unique place. The top bowls are amazing

sly_karma likes this.
  14. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

15. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

Hi I'm guessing 2 days skiing at Lake Louise so suggest White Horn Bistro and Temple Lodge (the upstairs restaurant Sawyer's Nook) for lunch. White Horn the more exxy of the two. Concur re Walliser Stubbe is fabulous but high end so check the menu/price. The Chateau has lots of options. Silver Star also lots of options Silver Grill for fine dining and The Den or Long Johns for more basic options. Anywhere will be fine.

16. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

I definitely second a trip to KH too. We did the Banff-KH-Revelstoke trip last year and a Kicking Horse is too awesome a mountain to drive right past. It was my 2nd visit and I’ll be back next year too.

13 days is also a really long stint at Revvie too. We did 5 days and felt it was plenty.

Stopping at KH also breaks up the journey nicely from Banff to Revvie. I wouldn’t want to be driving through the pass from Golden to Revelstoke after a long days drive. The road can be treacherous on many levels.

Kicking horse remains our favourite resort amongst our group. The snow quality was also markedly better than Revvie, much quieter and the mountain terrain is awesome too.

Either way you’ll have an amazing time I’m sure!

SnowRabbit likes this.