1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

19 day japan itinerary

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M1sh4, Aug 29, 2019.

1. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Well.Boris didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Paradox and Mitchthewitch like this.
  2. M1sh4

M1sh4 First Runs

haha whoa.. this one derailed a bit LOL.. Driving on the left will definitely be an adjustment on the first day but I managed on our last UK trip so hopefully it comes back to me quick.. Parallel parking and backing into small parking spots on the wrong side can be a bit confusing, might look like a learner on the first few days.

Back to the itinerary.. for our final 4 nights in Sapporo is it recommended to rent a car for the duration since we want to hit up Tiene and Kiroro? Is it advisable to stay in a downtown Sapporo hotel as a base and have a rental car, parking? traffic? etc.. How is the bus service between downtown sapporo and the surrounding ski areas?

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Ooohhhh while I think of it - prepare yourself actual advice ahead - the traffic lights are a bit different with many of them on the opposite side of the intersection ( than here in Oz and IIRC also the US.). So if you stop AT the light youll be stopped in the middle of the intersection. If you’re concentrating on driving on the opposite side of the road this may trip you up the first time, especially if it’s puking with snow and visibility is low and lines are covered with snow.

The odd one in Sapporo has the red amber and green lights plus arrows left right and straight. I can’t recall now if it was a green light with 3 red arrows of a red light with 3 green arrows but PB and I were like “WTF, what do we do now?!” Thankfully we were behind someone so just followed what they did LOL

fennekeg and Tanuki like this.
  4. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Bus to Tiene was good.
    [​IMG]

We drove our hire car to Kiroro.

[​IMG]

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Here is the link for ski bus https://www.access-n.jp/winter2018/en/skibus/
    I did use it for Teine - pick up from hotel and worked fine. Takes a bit longer as it does several pickups.

6. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Check to see if your Sapporo accom provides complimentary (and close) parking, can be a bit of an issue if they don't, and a little expensive too. Having a car is definitely the most preferred option as you can be most flexible with your options. Easy as drive to Tiene and Kokasui, Kiroro is a bit more of a journey. Banksei is worth look for a night ski if you're keen :)

7. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The Napoleonic Code was definitely written by a bunch of people who wore blouses and not culottes.

Paradox likes this.
  8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

If anyone is looking for accomodation in Chitose I can recommend the Best Western. I stayed there overnight when I had to drop the boys at the airport in the afternoon and pick PB up the next morning. Plenty of parking behind the hotel. Super simple location.

The Red Cross is the airport.
    The blue dot is the Chitose Maccas that you see as you head out of town toward Niseko.
    So from the airport the hotel is pretty much a straight line with one turn. Then to head out to Hirafu/Rusutsu straight line to the light where Maccas in on the right. Easy. Also easy to get back on the expressway of headed to Furano or wherever.

Attached Files:

Tanuki likes this.
  9. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Now see that's your own fault ;), you can't leave us kids unsupervised and expect there not be a mess when you come back.....:D:D:blb:

Mitchthewitch, hotsaki and LMB like this.