1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed 1st time Japan snow trip Jan 2020 where to go

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jingsu6688, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

. Daughter 8 years old and ski at level 3. We want to boost her skills as much as we can in 7-10 days continuous skiing. Whole day kid ski program.

. I am green tracker and not looking into improving. Maybe a private lesson here and there.

. Wife is worse. May want to pick up in this trip.

. We want to stay somewhere not really too expensive, AUD200-300 a day.
    . Highly preferred in or right next to the ski restore
    . Preferred somewhere has more food or things to do options - but not essential
    . Has to be close to Tokyo.

I was looking at Myoko, Hakuba, Naeba. Basically anywhere close to Nagano. Any suggestions and advice from you guys?

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I'd say Naeba. Easy from Tokyo, right on the slopes. Triple room at the Naeba Prince Hotel would cost 150,000yen for 7 nights.

Tanuki likes this.
  3. MidLifeMadman

MidLifeMadman Hard Yards

Nozawa Onsen... Plenty of runs, good eateries, and other families.

English speaking ski schools

Myoko is great also, though would suggest Nozawa based on ski ability of family, one mountain suits all.

4. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

Definitely suit my budget and the idea. I kind of quite like the idea similar to mount buller, or even better, one hotel for all. Do not really want to bother with bus moving around to catch a dinner here and there.

Hyst likes this.
  5. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

Interesting, Nozawa Onsen has not come to my list. Where should I stay and How to get to the school? Thank you.

6. Sandy

Nozawa would suit you. However, it's popular and ski in/ski out is more difficult to find, at this stage..... ski in/ski out often booked out early.

7. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

I think my top priority is a best ski school for my daughter and highly preferable not-to-walk-or-bus-like-hell place to stay. Ideally, hotel-food-ski all in one place is the best. We can kind of live without much happening and boring food options if we have to. :) in that case, I think Neaba sounds more like one stop.

8. silva

silva One of Us

If your focus is to improve your daughters skiing then I would recommend Myoko - Myoko Snowsports is awesome.

Paradox likes this.
  9. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

I was researching it whole night last night. Sounded like they allow you to leave the gear with them. Just wondering if there are plenty of accommodations within walking distance, so we do not have to catch the bus and what sort of accommodation price range $200-$300 for 2 adults 1 child.

silva likes this.
  10. silva

silva One of Us

Yes Myoko snowsports will store your gear if you rent from them and/or are doing lessons with them. Have only heard great stuff about their services. There are plenty of accommodation options. We will be there in January for a week - 2 adults, 1 child and are staying at Red Warehouse - cost is in your price range. We chose it because I like having access to a kitchen, its close to the slopes, has a kids play room, laundry etc and is more lodge style than hotel which we prefer.
    http://red-warehouse.com/ the owner also refers people to other suitable properties (and posts on here)
    This is a useful site with lots of accommodation options: https://myokokogen.net/myoko-accommodation/

M_G likes this.
  11. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Hakuba Snowsports is run by a great team with excellent staff and they will get your daughter progressing every day. Getting too and from Iimori where they are based is very simple on the shuttles. Super unlikely you will find accomm at the $200 point for 3 (exchange rate sucks atm) but at $300 you should if you book ASAP but unlikely to be ski in/out. Do NOT go with ISJ for the school if you do come to Hakuba.

12. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

What are your dates? If mid-late January your choices will start to be limited, especially in Nozawa. As suggested by @silva I can help you out in Myoko if you PM me.

Naeba is a good option location/accomm wise. There seems to be kids ski school lessons there but have no idea about how good they are.

Hakuba is also an easy option and will tick all your boxes.

13. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

We will be there mid Jan till end of Jan. Looking forward to seeing you there. :) I am checking the accommodations out. Regarding accommodation in Myoko. What is the mode of transport between the lift and the accommodation? Walking, bus or etc? Thank you so much for your support.

14. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

I will listen to you. :)

Lucky Pete likes this.
  15. Sandy

You may get ski in/ski out at Myoko, but you will need to shuttle bus it to other mountains there.

16. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

A bus seems always required in Hakuba. Am I right or missing something here?

17. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Required if you're not staying within comfortable walking distance of one of the resorts. Required even if you are, and you want to visit any of the other resorts. Or hire a car and forget about buses, completely worth it.

18. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Naeba only does private lessons in English.

Myoko snowsports is good - my son really progressed going there for a week.

19. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

Interesting, I had look at google maps. It seems the whole town is like 1km wide and long, so you can just pack up the gears and walk back to the place you stay?

20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Mostly, depending on where you stay.

Sandy is referring to other ski hills that you might like to explore. However I get the feeling that exploring far and wide is not really what you after and you’ll be happy just lapping the same close resort and working on your skiing.

21. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Akakura Kanko and Onsen are easy to get to on foot if you're staying in the main part of Akakura. Bus/car for getting to Ikenotaira, Suginohara, Seki Onsen, and anything further out.

22. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Because there is 10 resorts scattered along a valley. That is the big benefit of Hakuba, you arent stuck to one resort, something that many people who do ski in/out often fail to realise. You can stay close to one and travel to others if need be or stay central and go somewhere new every day.

23. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

With those dates you can forget about Nozawa. Stay in Akakura Onsen and put your child into Myoko Snowsports. You can easily access Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko Resorts. If you want to explore further there are shuttles you can catch.

Trying to post some links for local hotels that might suit but not working. I'll PM them to you.

24. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I would have a double think about dumping your kid in ski school all day for 7+ days . By all means book her in daily , but there is only so much an 8 year old can absorb . IMO put her in morning classes then have a bit of lunch then finish the day enjoying the slopes together .
    Worked for me .

25. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Right, or better "me too". :)

26. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

With a family ski trip I am putting in together now. Is 7 days too short or 10 days too long? :) Not hardcore skier.

27. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hardcore skier or not, 7 days total is too short for a Japan trip. 10 days is probably just sufficient.

Zimbooo likes this.
  28. skivet

skivet Addicted

10 days, ski week days and have a weekend break! You can switch ski area too! We do this and works well, you miss the weekend crowds plus give your legs a break. If you pick two ski areas close very easy. We have done Nozawa plus Shiga, Madarao plus Shiga, Myoko plus Shiga. As you maybe able to tell we love Shiga Kogen!

Hyst likes this.
  29. jingsu6688

jingsu6688 First Runs

Listen to you, 10 days. :) Daughter wants to go to Disneyland in a cold winter. It adds another few days. Plus the traveling, the whole trip is like 2.5 weeks. :)

30. Sandy

There's Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea.

31. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

No alcohol at Disneyland, but beers at Disney Sea....

32. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This.
    Not too expensive either.
    Oddly. We were the only customers in the bistro bar. At lunch

Lucky Pete likes this.
  33. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

2 weeks minimum to get into the groove. 3 weeks great........IMO
    Gotta take time to smell the roses.........see stuff as well.

LMB likes this.
  34. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Agree
    Although after 5 months I still wasn’t ready to go home.

Zimbooo likes this.
  35. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Just about to celebrate 5 years :)

fennekeg, LMB and hotsaki like this.
  36. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Got hugged I guess. LOL

37. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

This day certainly influenced that but I'm pretty sure it would have been 5 years with or without it (Apologies to Bono et al lol)

FWIW the bride to be wears that large head item to mask the horns which are almost showing prior to being married and come out once married. Not so much in my case, in fact as Im sure I did better than her out of the deal.

hatto, skivet and Hyst like this.
  38. silva

silva One of Us

Shall definitely catch up if our dates end up coinciding. Lots of places in Akakura are almost ski in or out or a short walk. If you want to explore other mountains you catch a shuttle bus to them. The advantage of Myoko/Akakura for you is that it has a excellent snowsports school and the close mountains which you will be able to walk to (Akakura kanko and Akakura onsen) suit your riding level whereas if you were at Hakuba the most popular mountain to stay closest to is Happo One (staying at Wadano) and I so not think that would suit your and your wifes riding level as much.
    I think MG has sent you some information regarding suitable accommodation so you should have some good options.
    Myoko Snowsports alpine explorers program gives you your 5th day free and you can have a rest day if you book more than days. I kind of disagree with "full days lessons are too much". The kids group programs is not intense instruction like a adult private lesson, its fun, learning through play and generally having a great time with other kids.
    My advice would be book 10 days in Myoko. Book your daughter in for 8 days of ski school. This will allow her to have a rest day to have a day off or ski a half or full day with you half way through the 10 days (you could even use this day to explore a different mountain) and have the last day you are there to spend the day telling you and your wife to hurry up as she speeds around the resort and you struggle to catch up. Lessons do not meet til 9:45 so you can also get a few warm up/look what I learnt runs in before her lesson starts. If she is getting tired or the weather is nasty you can always pull her out of lessons for a half day here or there. Being at the one hill with consistent lessons will really boost her confidence and her skill level is likely to skyrocket.

39. Sandy

There are, however, a few things wrong with full day lessons for 8 days, for kids:
    You never ski for more than just a run or two with your kids!!! One of the delights is skiing with your kids.

Melskius and Hyst like this.
  40. silva

silva One of Us

Very true. However, the OP says that the focus of their trip is to improve their daughters skiing and indicates that they are looking for a all day program for her. That's why I suggest 8 out of 10 days in lessons with a aim to be flexible and take her out of lessons if needed/wanted.