1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2 weeks in Mt Hutt Aug - seeking local advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Shoey, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Shoey

Shoey Early Days

So this August we have everything lined up for 2 weeks in Methven/Mt Hutt. It'd be the first time in NZ, but we scored the season pass earlybird for cheap.

We will be needing new skis this winter, so the first decision is to i) buy here in Sydney, ii) rent for 2 wks in Methven (Big Al's quotes around 48NZD/day - so not sure if they do any long term discounts? I shot them an email , or iii) Buy a pair in Methven and bring back.

I'm leaning towards the third option as it means we can hire for a few days, swap, try b4 we buy. But the downside is being a smaller town the prices might not be as competitive & size selection as the mega ski warehouses here. Question to the group: Any known shop names to recommend so that I can start pinging them emails ahead of time?

My second question is around off piste & guides. We are keen to get started with off piste there. In a Sydney ski show last week I spoke with a table called Alpine Guides that runs heli ski from Methven. Heli is a bit of a leap in terms of budget and level, but what is really alluring is they go to the surrounding crown land rather than in the resort, so its new places to explore. What is a typical (non heli) day in MH with a guide like? Where do they typically go and rough costs etc?

2. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The only comment that I can make in this regard is that you could look into claiming back the GST if you buy them here for use overseas. https://www.skiandboard.com.au/trs/

This might make a bit of difference in terms of the cost locally vs in NZ - as long as the money you save on the GST isn't lost on oversize baggage fees!

Shoey likes this.
  3. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think youre making a mistake to think that heli skiing would be too ridic as far as terrain goes.

Did two days in the chopper out of methven with @CarveMan a decade ago and the experience itself was insanely cool (being high up on the glacier, flying around some big mountains,etc) , the terrain was not nuts at all.

If I was going to be back in that part of the world again I’d be emailing the chopper crew to say i’ll be there and to keep me posted as to how things are looking. Just start it there.

Shoey and CarveMan like this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This

Shoey likes this.
  5. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Buy on-line?
    Some decent skis at Freeze Pro Shop with free shipping atm for < $500

Heli-skiing for first timers is pretty cruisy in terms of terrain.
    Can always hire some fatter skis for the day if necessary.

Shoey likes this.
  6. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

https://gnomes.co.nz/
    https://gnomes.co.nz/collections/ex-demo-skis
    Gnomes is probably one of the finest ski shops in the country and I say that never having been there! I have however bought several ex-demo skis from them which were immaculate, hardly used and beautifully tuned. Great service. Check that out I reckon. A lot of them are snapped up and sizing might be a problem but they've still got the Blizzard Rustler 10 and some other goodies.

Shoey, essjaywhy and dr80 like this.
  7. Shoey

Shoey Early Days

Thanks for the info all :) This looks really promising. I'll checkout gnomes, and Big Als have also emailed back saying they do a rent to buy program so there's a few options to explore. Just don't want to get stuck paying daily rates for random pairs for not having done upfront research..

Heli ski is sounding more & more tempting. Going to pitch it to the mrs. I guess its one of those things that looks expensive on its own, but taking everything into account you'd struggle to get better value and not doing it will result in regret and more cost to go back and do it again.

craighelo likes this.
  8. Seth

There is no question heli is expensive. It is an awesome experience though and the cost is quickly forgotten.

Shoey likes this.
  9. johnski

johnski Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Methven Heli is worth doing for a day as is skiing a a couple of powder days at one of the club fields mid week - driveable from methven, not quite heli but a fraction of the price for all day untacked.

Shoey likes this.
  10. Shoey

Shoey Early Days

Could you tell me more about club fields? Tried Google couldn't find anything. Intrigued.

11. Seth

These are what skiing in Australia should look like.

Low cost, low infrastructure operations. Absolutely awesome.

Shoey likes this.
  12. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Shoey likes this.
  13. Shoey

Shoey Early Days

14. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They go faster than a chairlift.

I learned in one as a kid. We had no choice.

However. They are a handful.

Shoey likes this.
  15. johnski

johnski Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Club fields are a lot more intimate and less commmercial.

You can stay on the snow at a cheap price they provide breakfast and dinner and basic accommodation, no stuffing around driving up the hill each day huge plus (worth doing for a couple of nights) and best of all are generally empty mid week.

Depending on your level, broken river is a good intermediate field, if you’re more advanced craigieburn is the place to be. Search craigieburn or broken river both have websites and videos of the skiing neither have grooming. If you want grooming start at porters (small commercial field) or cheeseman.

Shoey likes this.