2009 Falls Creek Observations/Reports/Info/Pics Thread

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Thought it might be a good idea to have a Falls Creek observations/reports/info/pics thread for the prevailing conditions this season.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
well lift tickets will be el cheap at falls this weekend!

These great prices, are only available tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday so don't miss out!
Daily Lift Pass $39 adult & $19 kids
Daily Lift & Rental Pass $49 adult & $29 kids
Daily Lift & Lesson Pass $49 adult & $29 kids
Daily Lift + Lesson + Rental $59 adult & $39 kids

sadcase

First Runs
Apr 26, 2001
melbourne, vic
The question begs to be asked what lifts will be open for that price, I had a quick look at their site and they indicate the Falls Express ( I am assuming this is the old Haley's Comet), Gully and a couple of kiddie ones. They say "hopefully" Drover's and Main St ( I know that's not the lift name, I just can't remember what is).

So we can safely assume NO Scotts, Ruined Castle, Summit and International.

How about the Eagle?

Can anyone in the know shed a bit more light on this? ASB?

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
On the news they mentioned 6 lifts, which in my experience means 3 access lifts, the ski school lift Monkey Bar (Playground),
and Drovers (Panorama). Not exactly exciting, not even Towers.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
bring your snowshoes, looks like you might have to pack it, to get to some other areas..

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
their twitter message says
Only 1 more sleep until you can ski six lifts at Falls Creek including Towers and Falls Express for $39 adults and $19 kids. Offer all w/e

I went for an xc up there today and cover is pretty good. I didn't see towers but I reckon main street at least would be pretty good.

Apresski is pretty right with the count: but I count chairs x 3, mouse trap, towers, drovers. no snowmaking on monkey bar so usually opens after towers and drovers. towers opens before drovers because of swampy ground near bottom of drovers.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
BTW, main st is skiers left beside towers lift. highway 83, the most popular run on towers (low intermediate) takes a fair bit of snow to fill in the creek, so usually opens a bit later

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
This morning's report says

Gully
FC Express
Towers
Mouse Trap

Grooming report shows main st, highway and nastar all groomed on towers.

Drovers looks groomed. maybe that's next.

(Ruined also looks like it is groomed, but they won't open that without cover on Scotts too)

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
looks like international has been nicely tracked out by locals, going by the snow cam

sadcase

First Runs
Apr 26, 2001
melbourne, vic
Be nice if they open up eagle, that would allow you to drop into the bowl and get a crack at the Ys. If falls Xpress is open then at least you will have all that area between the lift and wombat's ramble to have a play in. Too late now as I have already booked in for Saturday night, so whatever is dished up I am committed now, not that I am complaining
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dogs

First Runs
Jul 2, 2007
Is anyone up there at the moment?

If so what are the skiing conditions like (terrible yet?) and are we getting any snow out of this system tonight?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm not bothering till we get more snow, and I'm only a very short drive away and have a season pass.
AFAICT you can ski main st is probably ok, highway and drovers patchy. This is pretty much what the official report says. With school holiday crowds and pretty ordinary weather - really not worth my time.

there have been a few cm of snow, but not enough to make a difference.

but it will improve, and there is lots of time to have great skiing.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Lots and lots of much needed snow on the way around the end of this week .
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. It will certainly top up the mountain for the second week of the school holidays.

woohoo.gif

dtech

First Runs
Jun 13, 2009
Im heading up Friday thru to Sunday. By the looks of the forecast, hopefully if there is a huge dump, they open up some more lfits quick smart. I'll report back to say how things went.

dogs

First Runs
Jul 2, 2007
Im heading up Wednesday through next Tuesday. Hopefully get some snow and I'l try update conditions if get chance to

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
7pm tues, temp around 3 deg, lifts on wind hold, absolutely bucketing down (with rain)
frown.gif

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
@7.40pm temp 4.2, wind gusts 100km/hr +, power has just come back after 15 min or so blackout

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
25cm so far, I see about another 20cms in this at this stage
biggrin.gif

Looks like I may be off to Falls for the Weekend

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
28cm reported O/N and another 20 - 30cm possible over the next 48 hours to much lower levels too!
woohoo.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
My finger is about to book at hotel in Mt Beauty for the weekend
smile.gif

My first time to Falls

I hope it isn't too flat......

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
AndDee - by all means try Falls now, but be aware that at this stage only beginner and (mostly) low intermediate terrain is open. If they can get Scotts and Ruined open, that will be (mostly) mid-intermediate. Still needs a lot more to open the more challenging stuff.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thanks
smile.gif

How many cms of depth before Scotts & Ruined normally open ?

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
AndDee said:
My finger is about to book at hotel in Mt Beauty for the weekend
smile.gif

My first time to Falls

I hope it isn't too flat......

laugh.gif
Think lots and lots of say skyline
grin.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
not really sure, but I'm thinking they need about 60cm. They were close to opening (mix of natural and snowmaking) before the rain came, but they would have lost much of that.

The dump that started on QBW gave us about 45cm. This morning's report said 45cm. So best quess is we need another 15-20. Doesn't look they have got a lot totady (5cm?) OTOH they will be highly motivated to open anything they can. Next week is normally the busiest week of the season and they need some terrain (and a justification to put day tickets up to full price)

You can still have fun, but it is limited. With luck Last Hoot (very long intermediate with some interesting variations) will reopen, and some off-piste may be ok.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Hunter:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

currawong: Thanks, a discounted ticket would be nice, but perhaps full price will occur from this weekend onwards!

dtech

First Runs
Jun 13, 2009
Im heading up tomorrow. Probably wont get there until 12 so I'll see if I buy a lift ticket. Will report back if all goes well.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
last hoot open today, not sure how much snow has fallen this week but it has been almost non-stop the last 2 days

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you want to see Falls at it's best, you would be best to wait until The Maze and International are open. give it a couple of weeks.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
thumbsup.gif
thanks

this am report showed it not open. I thought it must be close. pity about the school hol crowds clogging it up.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
this week (first week of vic schoold hols) has been very quiet - today was the very first day we have had to wait more than 1 min to get on a lift - considering that there are really only 3 lifts open, this is very good (or bad) depending on your point of view

i think though that the next week will be busier as this is nsw and qld holidays

hopefully with all the new snow, other lifts will be opening

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I had a good ski this morning, just around Scotts & Ruined. Cover was very good on Ruined and father Fosters. Scotties and Racecourse each had a bit in the midsection that was pretty solid (guns running too long?). Corkscrew and Shadow Ridge were delightful, although a few obstacles on corkscrew gave you things to turn around. Off piste was a bit heavy for my unfit legs. Snow was not perfectly dry, but pretty good.

dtech

First Runs
Jun 13, 2009
Had a great day up here today. Conditions were all over, with snow, sunshine, wind and I think a little rain aswell. Plenty of snow over the resort howeve still no summit or international.
My favourite run for the day was last hoot. I had never been here before but I was getting some aggressive turns down there, aswell as fast hoot. Looking forward to another day here tomorrow then heading home late in the afternoon.

dtech

First Runs
Jun 13, 2009
here are a few photos taken on my iPhone over saturday and sunday.
3690257904_95c8d00d96.jpg
Scott (sunday)
3690257000_81e7cab20b.jpg
ruined castle (sunday)
3689451131_c689f6cf01.jpg
snowmaking at top of falls express (sunday)
3689450259_3b2de9d1af.jpg
falls express (saturday)
3689449497_587df0ff1a.jpg
falls express again (saturday)
3690253544_ba6e04a796.jpg
balcony at accomodation. (friday)
3684510316_62de7bd33e.jpg
my gorss friends in village
3690251242_c8f6fd40cf.jpg
beginners terrain park (sunday) .

great weekend at falls creek

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
I had a great weekend skiing and as currawong said it was very cold.

I rarely wear Thermals in Australia but I did this weekend, maybe its because I havent spent as much time in the snow over the past year.

Saturday was my first day out for the season and I spent the morning cruising all the runs to have a look around, I was pleased with the quality of the cover on the open areas including the Fox Trail and some side runs off the main trails.

All Home Trails were open and we had full ski in ski out making the kind of conditions I like.

Ruined Castle and Scotts were open and on saturday they were perfect but sunday very solid, lots of side slipping on Scotts. South Face was open and providing a more challenging ski.

It was good to see the continuation of the single lines on lifts, something FC had not done for many years, this certainly makes the lines move better not to mention is great when your out skiing alone.

All in all a very good weekend and great to see for the School Holidays.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
yesterday morning was very cold and windy, but sunny. it warmed up gradually. After drizzle on saturday and very cold night, the snow was pretty solid. Snowmaking area were the go, or north facing areas as they softened a bit. looks like more of the same today. I see the official report says are opening summit and have groomed inter. looks like you will have to use gully+summit to ski it though.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Since there is no graph provided by Falls Creek, I have created my own!

The season started early with a nice dump, then 2 weeks of warm and windy weather, then another dump and currently in a week of warmer and now wet weather and some snow in the next few days, no idea how much at this stage

I will update this about once or twice a week and more often if there is a dump of snow
biggrin.gif

FallsCreek.jpg

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Yeah nice one AndDee, I was worried with this rain and warm weather but I am hoping that things improve near late July. I am August 8 so I hope history repeats.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Well they hardly got any rain and it's not that warm so it's not too bad! That being said the snow will be wet and pretty poor to ski on.

They are currently reporting 59cms as of this morning, and it going to rain on/off through the night and it may turn to snow later on tonight, but only up high.

For the next week maybe 10cms of snow is my guess, but that is providing it gets a little bit colder as well which it sound around Tuesday.

Probably by next Saturday around 65cms natural snow base. I currently don't see any dumps (20cms+) of snow until possibly Early August, but I am not holding my breath yet.

The rest of July is not looking that crash hot at the moment either
frown.gif

ronny

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2006
Albury, Australia
I was up there on Saturday the 11th, around 8.30am when we got there it was lightly raining but at about 9.00 it started to snow or trying to anyway.

It was still around the Village but any higher than that it was incredibly windy. The snow was in pretty good condition bit icy in areas where it was groomed. Fox trail park was pretty awesome had the best fun in there and up on the summit. The snow on the summit was real nice and soft would sink pretty deep if you stopped (In through the trees that is)

Around 11:30 it started to snow heavily, in the Village it was slowly falling but up top it was falling horizontally almost looked like it was falling up

Pretty good day but was happy to get off the slopes at the end of the day..

On the summit, my board sunk pretty deep and we got stuck for a bit, very tiring
DSC_0016.jpg

Friend did not like it she kept getting stuck and did not have the patience or strength to hang round up there
DSC_0017.jpg

Chillaxing
DSC_0018.jpg

Eagle chair near the top chair station it was about 50m away but you can't see it, extremely cloudy
DSC_0021.jpg

Around the area where it split from being windy and cloudy to being perfectly clear and still
DSC_0022.jpg

Lake
DSC_0029.jpg

Lake again pretty cool
DSC_0030.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass