2009 Falls Creek Observations/Reports/Info/Pics Thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Disappointing they didn't pick up as much snow as Hotham in last nights snowfalls

Nice pics !

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
AndDee said:
Probably by next Saturday around 65cms natural snow base.

We're already past that.

I reckon we'll be on or above 80cms by Saturday. If we're lucky and its just a little more they'll be considering grooming runs on the Summit.

Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
66cms was reported on this mornings snow report!

Also allowing for a few cms more then a few cms of loss, 65cms by Saturday is about right

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
HotHam is getting dumped on still

Falls creek is high and dry basically
frown.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
falls has been a mix of sleet, r@#n and a bit of snow. I didn't bother going for a ski. Other people staying here ventured out and had some fun, but they looked pretty wet when they came in

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thanks for the update

Temps are just not quite cold enough for good snow at the moment

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
snow is looking lovely this morning. gotta get moving and get out there
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
DeesOnSkis said:
AndDee said:
Probably by next Saturday around 65cms natural snow base.

We're already past that.

I reckon we'll be on or above 80cms by Saturday. If we're lucky and its just a little more they'll be considering grooming runs on the Summit.

I reckon your right
outtahere.gif

Does anyone actually get a daily snow report from Falls Creek ? I have subscribed three times, with three different email addreses and get nothing.

I get the Vic Snow Reporter snow report which is nice, but I like the ones that come from the resorts directly.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
been out all morning and had very varied conditions. mostly poor visibility, but occasionally the sun almost breaks through. early runs on (ungroomed) corkscrew were magic, but mostly the visibility was too dodgy to venture off the groom much. A few runs on rapunzels during brief visibility improvement were challenging but good. We've had mizzle, sleet, r#@n, wet snow, good snow. Currently snowing lightly, looks fairly dry.

Lehmo

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone know what depth of snow or conditions are required to get International Poma open? Also when abouts the Ruined Castle terrain parks would be up and running. Heading to Falls the end of this month so would be good to see this all happening! Fingers Crossed!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm not sure what's stopping them opening the inter poma. probably want more snow on the poma track. Inter itself was very skiable last week.

The maze needs 1.5 metres to be good, but can open on about 1 m.

nfi about ruined castle park because i just don't care. I guess they could do beginner features pretty soon but I don't know if they do them at RC since they started doing a beginner park at Drovers. The expert features will need a heap more snow. guessing a metre or so would let them do intermediate features

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I am keeping my eye on the weather around the 20th-25th, if we get another 20-30cms I'll be up at Falls the Monday-Thursday after that weekend
biggrin.gif

Looking good around this date for at least 15cms
biggrin.gif

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just arranged to stay at a friends beautiful Woodsmoke apartment 9th to 13th of August, surely Inter should be running by then!

Lehmo

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
Cheers for the reply currawong! Hopefully inter poma will open soon then. Yeah saw that there was a park open on drovers just hopefully something a bit bigger will open up soon.

Mono

First Runs
Jun 23, 2009
Byron Bay-Brunswick Heads
Looks good. I'm heading to Falls this Sunday for 5 days. Its a training camp with Michael Milton. Please say hi if you see us. I guess we will be the guys getting around with one ski! Just keep that snow falling.
Cheers

sawtell

First Runs
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
having not been to falls for a bit, international poma, sits to the skiers right (when going up the poma), to this cam yes, so that groomed section on the right of the cam is accesible only by international poma?

Why have they been grooming it? is it expecting to be open?

Ill be up there this weekend, any news on some larger terrain park features? or still just not enough base to be pushing up any medium/large booters?

cej

Hard Yards
Jul 9, 1999
Adelaide, SA, Aus
Yes it's to the right when going up Gully and Summit lifts.

From the top of Summit, 1 to 2 minutes skating (or a little walking for the boarders) and you get to pretty much any of the runs (unless you like the flat bit at the top of International or the off piste there that goes among the snowgums). Adventurous people will have already tried those areas in the last few days! Some parts may have no snow, but that is not unusual.

sawtell

First Runs
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
that was a worth while post, i complety forgot to put the picture in!

here is the pic i was meant to chuck in.
fallscreek-gebi2.jpg

im pretty sure that, that will update (just stole the link from image properties)

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Pretty much following last years pattern!

FallsCreek15thJuly.jpg
[/img]

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Inter run has been open for over a week. They also groomed zipper today.You need to use both gully and summit to ski it.

I heard a rumour today that lakeside and inter will open for the weekend.

There are 3 boxes in ruined castle park, but no other features.

Absolutely fantastic day today. Summit and inter were very firm this morning, so headed over back fairly soon. Mainly skied off-piste. If you know where to find untarched, it was marvellous. Skied out crud was pretty good too, not too heavy. Skier packed stuff was hero snow at it's best, and glassy cr@p at it's worst. The few groomers I did were very nice to. Hometrails softening in the sun and getting glassy.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i noticed 3 rails going in on rc park today too.

another great day with excellent dry surface but variable visibility and cold wind. some of the village roads/trails are getting patchy (eg Orry's, Koki corner) but all the main runs are looking very good.

Dodgy

Hard Yards
May 8, 2008
Brisbane
Thanks for the obs currawong keep em comming. In your opinion how much more snow is needed to open up the rest of the maze etc... Heading down in a week and not that I can ski black runs yet but I reckon it'd be good to spread the people further and thin out the runs I can ski.

Cheers

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I think the maze is officially open now, but most people I respect think it is not worth the bother until we get more snow. Really, the maze needs 1 metre, preferably 1.5 metres.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
any idea why it has taken them this long to get 3 boxes in the ruined castle park?! I know the lift only opened recently but surely they could get a couple of jumps and a bit more than just 3 features going?
Look at Perisher and Thredbo - they have had parks up and going for weeks now with plenty of features....

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
anyone got photos of the maze at the moment or in any previous years? wouldent mind seeing the difference.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Next 5-7 days is looking VERY interesting/good for snow!

Could easily pick up 20-40cms during this period
biggrin.gif
WINDY though!

Where is somewhere good to grab a bit to eat for dinner between Falls and Melbourne while driving home?

Preferably a pub/bistro and not fast food unless its good
biggrin.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
King River Cafe in Oxley

Happy Valley pub in Ovens, just before Myrtleford
Carlos Pizza in Myrtleford used to be ok

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thank you
biggrin.gif

Should have known it would be you who would have the answers
biggrin.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
great day up there yesterday. I only skied a few hours till about 1:30 and the back was still firm then. The front was softening nicely by mid morning. Cover was holding up very well, but on this morning's cams it's not looking so good at summit and bottom of FC Express.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Dumping at the moment according to the weather station

6cms in the last hour & 10cms so far this evening!

Should ease up in the next 30 mins or so but will be very nice in the morning, a guess would be 15-20cms!

Friday will be a nice day to be out in some sun even!

Another 10-20cms Sunday - Tuesday as well, with a 77cm natural snow depth this morning, should be 90cms by morning!

The magic metre will be hit by Monday I think
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Bring on 1.5 metres!

ssar

One of Us
Jul 17, 2005
Newcastle, NSW
Cams at FC around 7am Thurs 23 July show a bit of new snow - not a huge amount, but enough to put a grin on our faces.

This looks, again, to be topping up a reasonable base there.. A couple more good snowfalls and the entire skiable terrain cover would be lookin pretty good eh!

Oh, and skidown: that FC snow depth graph you post is fantastic - thanks!!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Falls reporting 17cms this morning
biggrin.gif

You rang ?

Falls3.jpg
[/img]

Falls4.jpg
[/img]

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Very interesting how we have pretty much followed exactly last year in both snow depth and accumulate snowfall!

Considering a trip up early next week but due to yet another big storm coming through I may postpone it for a few days

How busy does Falls get on a weekend in August ? How long are the lift lines ?

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
I think the big difference between 2008 and 2009 is, if I remember correctly, that it stayed cold after the big dump arrived in early July. Temps seem to be higher this year. Last weekend, for example, the snow coming down on Sunday was barely that - it was so wet that it was almost sleet.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The weekends in August are busy, but you can usually avoid long queues if you are prepared to move around.

Ruined Castle and Towers can be pretty busy from 10:00 - 12:30 and again after lunch till 3:30. Lakeside can be insanely long queue, especially at the end of lesson times: do not go down there near 11:30. (You can check the queue length from towers or scotts chair before heading down). Scotts is very rarely busy. Summit is rarely very long, except if it's a freshy day. Inter can be pretty bad, especially if snow is good. FC Express will be bad early when it is being used for access, but thins out mid morning.

all this can change depending on prevailing weather.

Having said all that, I think if you are used to Thredbo or Hotham, you will think that queues are not really an issue at Falls.

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
skidown said:
How busy does Falls get on a weekend in August ? How long are the lift lines ?

Falls Express, Towers, and sometimes Lakeside and Inter can get quite busy. Ruined rarely so, and Scotts and Summit almost never. Just need to be be prepared to move around the mountain.

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
Snap!

The queue at Lakeside is often made worse by beginner boarders - especially if the towie is patient and gives them multiple goes (others are less patient and tell those falling off to go to Towers).

The queue at RC can be a movable feast - it is there for a few rides, then seemingly disappears, only to re-appear a little while later.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I am used to Buller and Hotham lines!

currawong & Ulmerhutte - Thanks for the very detailed responses and ways to avoid the crowds
smile.gif

When you say long queues do you mean 20 mins lines like Wombat at Buller ?
laugh.gif
- That being said there are many ways to avoid lines at Buller as well
smile.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
if ruined is bad but you'd quite like to ski there ski scotts and watch the queue, duck over there when it's ok

20 min queues at fc don't happen often. The most important thing is to avoid Lakeside & Towers at end of lessons. Don't do laps of FC Express till after lessons are underway.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thanks again -
biggrin.gif

International mustn't be too far off now I would say

The Falls Creek snow report blames a lack of snow under the lift line as the Poma needs a certain amount of snow blah blah blah...

Wonder when she will open
biggrin.gif

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Yep stay away from Towers. Lakeside is not too bad, but again it depends on the day / time. I've never had too much of a problem on Ruined Castle....oh and unless you always like getting blasted with ice cold wind, Scott's should only be considered on your way back.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
skidown said:
Thanks again -
biggrin.gif

International mustn't be too far off now I would say

The Falls Creek snow report blames a lack of snow under the lift line as the Poma needs a certain amount of snow blah blah blah...

Wonder when she will open
biggrin.gif

You could always do Gully > Summit instead if you were keen enough
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thanks!

Peak Hour!

BusyAtFalls.jpg
[/img]

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
daaaammnnn... what a lift line.. arghhh hahaha!!

Typical everyone seeking first tracks.. hehehe

Is it school holidays at the moment or something???

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass