2009 Falls Creek Observations/Reports/Info/Pics Thread

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Getting to Cloud 9 for lessons. Depends where you are staying, but you could use the Eagle chair and ski across, if you need to get to Cloud 9 that is.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Falls Express lift wasn't even loading people on at that time (I think it was just about to open...maybe running late?), hence the line. No not school holidays either.

Looking at the cams it seems the majority of the south side has a great cover. (Infact it looks like they've hit the 1M mark in snowmaking areas).

I can see International opening this time next week ;).

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yay! We'll be there on the 9th of August for 5 days, can't wait. My request is 1.5 meters of snow and beautiful bluebird days.... I don't ask much
thumbsup.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
afaict said:
Falls Express lift wasn't even loading people on at that time (I think it was just about to open...maybe running late?), hence the line. No not school holidays either.

Yes it was people wanting freshies!

The line did die down pretty quick

I am off to Falls next week for 4 days
biggrin.gif

Again in Mid August and will do the heli to Hotham as well if the weather holds up!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
and it is nsw school hols still

I was never is a queue for more than a few minutes today, but I did get there late and I avoided hotspots

BTW it was a great day
biggrin.gif

ronny

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2006
Albury, Australia
Was up there with mates on Sun Mon Tues, had a pretty good time.. just some pics I took

Sunday: It was very windy and very wet and very cold. Was not the best of days .. pretty miserable..
On the way from Albury to Beauty
DSC_0001.jpg

Some of the hills, verry foggy morning
DSC_0003.jpg

Snowing on the way there
DSC_0010.jpg

The Sign
DSC_0011.jpg

Bit of build up from the wind
DSC_0019.jpg

Wind blown trees
DSC_0021.jpg

Scotty's Chair
DSC_0028.jpg

Monday: An improvement from Sunday but still extremely windy and cold.. Power failure around 3pm I think so headed down the mountain to Beauty.
Going up Drovers Chair
DSC_0040.jpg

Looking down to Towers Chair from Drovers Chair with Lake behind
DSC_0042.jpg

Had a kick of the footy in the car park after the power outage..
DSC_0044.jpg

Went for a bit of a walk to the Falls..
DSC_0092.jpg

Fainter Falls
DSC_0100.jpg

Tuesday: Probably the best weather I've seen in my years at Falls Creek not a cloud in the sky all day.. only thing was the snow was becoming icy as rock in shaded areas in the afternoon.. not pleasant.
Sunrise From Mt Beauty
DSC_0007.jpg

Mt Bogong from Mt Beauty
DSC_0010-1.jpg

Mates
DSC_0036.jpg

Up on the summit
DSC_0057.jpg

Ruined Castle
DSC_0078.jpg

This was all they had out at the Ruined terrain park
DSC_0086.jpg

Me doin a jump at the summit
DSC_0104.jpg

Mate doin the same jump + a grab
DSC_0107.jpg

Pretty good days will be back there next Thurs for a slide and then MTV Snow Jam

sawtell

First Runs
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
zhenjie said:
I loved Sunday, the crowds left the entire mountain to us. Tree runs were pretty good-great with the fresh top-up.

was good on sunday, but would have been better if the interpoma was running, as the maze area was excelent! except for the 30-40min turn around per run with having to ride the slowest chair in the world!

the weather over scotts side was pretty full on, rode maze for half a day, and then the tree's under falls express and eagle chairs.. was good fun, alot funner then the satdy! fresh snow FTW..

on a different note...

report says international poma isnt running, but on the cams.. there is people on it????

i seen them de-icing it on Sunday last week, but they said it wasn't going to be open for atleast a fortnight. and its not like they have had THAT much more snow?

is it just running some test's orrrr is it here to stay, if it is looks like an early morning drive tomorrow to falls instead of buller...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Great pics

Just got an email from Falls

INTERNATIONAL POMA IS NOW OPEN!

This morning International Poma opened for the first time in the 09 snow season. The great news is that now all of Falls Creek's lifts and terrain are now open!

Plus there are only six sleeps left until MTV's Snow Jam at Falls Creek.

Happy Skiing!

The Falls Creek Team.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Looking great for my trip next week
biggrin.gif

I will be posting lots of pics and a trip report (Yes Triple B, Holo and main street) a trip report
tongue.gif

Snow_Boarder07

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2009

Hi All,

Just spent the weekend at Falls and thought I would let everyone know my thoughts!

We had a small group Saturday, mainly beginners, driving up the weather was nice, no traffic, car parks a plenty.
Bought lift passes at the chair in the top car park, no queues at about 9am

Beautiful morning, first 2 hours clear and sunny, then it whited out.

Snow was dry and very cold and soft, not many people, we had a great day out!

Sunday was nice as well, near 100% vis all day, not sunny but clear and nice. Not much wind either it was very nice day.

Snow was lovely and dry again, no ice on any runs I could find (Only under the snowmakers!) It did get pretty warm on the hill after about lunch, snow was melting slowly on clothes and board.

Overall we had a great weekend, stoked with the calm and dry conditions.

Thank you Falls! You never fail to give us a good time!

Cheers!

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
When we woke up this morning in Mount Beauty it was 9c and the drizzle was running off the roof of the
motel as we left the room. Although it was still dark, the signs didn't bode well. Parking at Halleys, the
temperature was 2c and the mountain was shrouded in cloud. The snow was clearly rain-affected and we
were prepared for a short day.

A first run down Towers and the snow was quite firm. Not too bad at all. So we zipped over to Summit to
get some runs around there and on Inter. Soft but nice on the groomers. Zipper is nearly gone, and lots of
vegetation poking through on lower International. But Village Run was nice.

We got soaked and thought we'd try a bit more over the back before heading home. Corkscrew Gully was
an enjoyable run. But the wind and rain while sitting on the lifts on Scott and Ruined was bitter.

After a break for hot chocolate it seemed the rain had stopped..The cloud lifted slightly and the sun even
came out from time to time. This opened up some lovely skiing around Quartz Ridge/Rapunzels and Dark
Side/Powderkeg. A lot of fun, on softening but not too heavy or sticky snow. The mood could not even be
spoiled by some idiot who not only decided to disembark the Lakeside poma only half way up, but
afterwards stood surveying Powderkeg without moving from the poma track.

The improved visibility tempted us to do some more runs around Summit, including the Ys. Very soft but
not too heavy. Well worth the effort. And a rewarding morning at the iconic Falls Creek, despite the early
signs of a shocker!

sno cowboy

First Runs
Jul 26, 2007
Kilmore, Victoria
hahaha dees on skis!
that idiot who fell off lakeside poma was most likely my mate, a bit of a newb at pomas. I was up for saturday and sunday and the conditions only got worse. Sunday morning was horrible, driving rain and sleet, strong winds and minimum visibility. Winds and rain died down a little on sunday afternoon around 3.00 and we got a view over the lake (the only one all day) for about 5 minutes or so. snow was becoming incredibly soft, and they even closed the terrain park on ruined castle. i retreated to jumps in the morning on drovers and then spent most of the rest of the day pracitising my skills on the jumps next to the rails on ruined castle (even after they closed it :D). being my first experience at falls creek, even the weather couldnt put me off, and i think i'll definately go back.

sawtell

First Runs
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
any one in the know, know if they will be attempting to build a pipe this year (snow dependent obvioulsy).

do they even have a pipe cutter any more? i havnt seen them even attempt a pipe since... well last one i remember was in 2002 i think?
but every year they keep it on their trail map!

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
sno cowboy said:
hahaha dees on skis!
that idiot who fell off lakeside poma was most likely my mate, a bit of a newb at pomas.

Nah doubt it. This clown didn't fall off. He disembarked on purpose. Newbs are OK. I have patience for newbs on Lakeside as everyone messes up now and again.

Good on ya for making the most of the poor conditions. The good thing about Falls is that you can find some fun even in the most horrible of conditions.

kasto

First Runs
Nov 8, 2006
Melbourne
I was up at Falls from Friday to Monday and thought I would post a few pics from Monday 3rd August as it was easily the best day we had.

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Photo0130.jpg

Photo0131.jpg

Photo0129.jpg

Photo0132.jpg

Photo0133.jpg

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
another awful looking day according to cams and reports. Monday was a ripper but I couldn't ski that day. I'm getting really sick of foggy drizzly days. haven't skied for over a week
frown.gif

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Looking at the Frogs' forecast, Saturday is looking good, unfortunately we're coming up on Sunday
tantrum.gif
Oh well the kids'll ski in anything.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Jeez, one whole week, must have been agony!!

Saturday is looking the goods and I reckon Sunday might even be worth suffering through! Perfect timing!

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
Apresski said:
Looking at the Frogs' forecast, Saturday is looking good, unfortunately we're coming up on Sunday
tantrum.gif
Oh well the kids'll ski in anything.

yes, but, yeah, the Frog's forecast for Sunday and Monday are looking good for some freshies all day

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
AAAARGH
mrbang.gif

the cams and reports tell another tragic story: no freeze, no visibility, prospect of more rain and the possibility of a wind hold

and not skiing for a week is agony. I've arranged my life around getting max ski time and this is just so frustrating

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
Curra, if I'm in the same boat as you I will not be a happy camper
tantrum.gif

h2oskier

One of Us
Apr 24, 2008
vic
yep, not real nice up here today. Went down scotts once and couldnt see ruined load so buggered off to summit and inter area it could have been on wind hold for all i know. No where near a freeze last night. Snow seems like its holdin up pretty well considering imo. towers and scotts was running pretty slow.

andy222009

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2009
woohoo i am up there next week
i have heard it has been raining.
the place i am staying called me for other reasons abuot an hour ago and said it is snowing heavily

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I was told it snowed very heavily for a while. don't think it lasted all that long. there is snow much lower on nearby hills that we hve seen for many weeks.

hopefully more still on the way.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Fingers crossed. Although I hope it snows after Sunday morning, chains are hard to fit on my car!

ssar

One of Us
Jul 17, 2005
Newcastle, NSW
Whilst I don't think there's much chance of needing to put chains on anytime soon, I am really hoping we do on that road up to FC this Sunday
wink.gif

Good to see that snow on the cams this morning - it was settling into some good coverage here and there.
Lookin' forward to it!
smile.gif

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Headed up to Falls for the first time in 2 years today and what can I say... Bluebirds, light winds and lovely dry fresh snow ontop of hard packed base.

Picks of the groomers where Powderkeg, South Face, The Knolls, Oest Wand and Exibition although most of the Inter area got pretty soft after lunch.

Good dry, untracked powder to be had even in the late afternoon over off South Face, where most other areas were well and trully tracked out yesterday, let alone this afternoon.

Another top up over the next week and falls will be looking good.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
another good day today. not as sunny as yesterday, but visibility stayed good and snow was in great shape still over the back.

BTW I mainly do condition reports in the report section (comments) of the website, so look there for more info

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
Today was superb in Sun Valley, the snow is holding up really well and the ice is only coming through in some places, generally where exposed.

The cover is starting to get thin in a number of places and the undergrowth and streams are starting to make an appearance in a number of places.

Snow guns were running all day, so temperatures must have been hovering around 0.

ians 158

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 15, 2006
melbourne
Had a great weekend,Saturday out to Mt Mckay on the splitboard,today rode in the resort.
I second the report above.
P8090368.jpg

Hoppo

First Runs
Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
Anyone been out there today? Has it been raining? Snow cams looked a bit suss when I managed to see them today.
frown.gif

Would love an up-to-date report.
clap.gif

We are heading up on Sunday - to get away from the madding crowd in Melbourne
outtahere.gif
- they're predicting high winds and snow (also for Monday).

Cheers
beer.gif

H

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i haven't been up since monday because it's been foggy with rain affected snow and often drizzle or rain. cams at lunchtime showed that the fog had cleared, at least for a while.

plenty of snow over the back. summit was still good when i skied it on the weekend. so we just need a freeze and preferably a bit of fresh or showmaking to put a nice finish on it. the forecast is for negative overnight temps on fri and sat, and again on monday. sunday forecast is confusing, but it looks warm, windy and wet

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I was up there from Sunday until yesterday and they had a lot of rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. I gather there has been rain up there today aswell, but as Currawong says there is still plenty of snow over the back. My kids skied yesterday in pretty wet conditions, the good thing was that there were very few people out. Hope you have a good time .

beau

First Runs
Jul 1, 2009
Sydney
We just got back today, quite wet, but still went out every day, altough at least the rain looks to be gone by the time you get there.

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
The snow off piste is really badly rain affected, it is sticky and has variable speed.

The snow on piste is in fairly good condition but becomes quite heavy in the afternoon.

There hasn't been any rain to speak of today, a couple of spits while going up Ruined, but nothing like the last 2 days when it absolutely p@#$%^& down
tantrum.gif

As Beau states below, the snow is quite wet but is still very skiable.

The light was dropping in and out today as the cloud/fog came through, but it was glorious when the sun was out.

Hoppo

First Runs
Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
Thanks to all for very informative posts. We normally try to ski this week each year - a couple of years ago, in brilliant sunshine (though there wasn't a lot of snow), we were talking to a couple who had skiied Falls the same time (ie week of 14th of August) for 25 years and said they had rarely had a crap day. That's been our experience too, so I'm sorry you all got a bit of rain. Last year at this time was sensational!
woohoo.gif

I'm hoping that that the snow gods will look favourably on us and it'll just dump down all Sunday night - don't want much do I?
smile.gif

They're still talking about wind on Sunday, so I hope no trees come down over the road..... I'm not packing the chain saw!

Thanks again to all and hope your skiing/boarding/slipping&sliding goes well.

Cheers
beer.gif

H.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
[rant]
Part the First
mrbang.gif

on Monday, for various reasons that I won't bore you with, I skied down wombats in very flat light bordering on whiteout. I probably hadn't been down there for over a month because it's a boring run full of beginners and usually poor quality snow. suddenly I found myself almost on top of a jump in the middle of the run (followed closely by lying on the ground close to the jump). this was completely unmarked.

There were a few more jumps further down the run. WTF? this is a beginners run. what are they doing putting unmarked jumps there. they were only small, but they would be considerable obstacles for many of the people using the run

(I wondered if they were actually mini snowmaking whales, but that didn't sound like much of an explanation either)

Part the 2nd
mrbang.gif
mrbang.gif

One of my favourite places to play is around vertigo valley. There are lots of lines, but a nice one starts off with a wide shallow gully. I noticed today that they have built a @#$%^ border cross course through the middle of it.

once again WTF? Ruining a really nice little run

[/rant]

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass