2009 Falls Creek Observations/Reports/Info/Pics Thread

h2oskier

One of Us
Apr 24, 2008
vic
I would say i know falls pretty well, but I have no idea where you mean when you say 'vertigo valley'
confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i went xc to avoid it.

I came back through the resort at lunchtime. it looked pretty soft. I had a run on playground (gumby xc skier) and it was soft but bearable. days end was elephant snot.

scotties didn't look much fun.
saw some people on ruined castle steeps making it look nice. darkside looked prettygood too when we skied past this morning.

in other words - spring

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
As Curra says, it is real spring skiing.

Cover is quite soft by 11, really starting to turn into elephant snot by 12.

As I said in one of my posts above, there are places where the snow has differing speeds and you can find 1 ski going faster than the other.

There have been quite a few ppl taken off the hill in the last couple of days, which isn't surprising considering there is a lot of base (rocks, undergrowth, creeks, soil) starting to show through in many places, even on those slopes with snow making.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Disappointed to hear
frown.gif
but expected given the current Weather.

Early July was the time to hit the slopes, now it's just Spring skiing with Peak time prices!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Auska, it would be really good if you and other guys who post conditions here would also post in the comments section of the snow reports, here You have to register but then you can rate the extent of cover and the quality of the surface and leave your comments.

a lot more people see those reports than this thread.

it shouldn't just be my opinion in there. i tend not to bother going up when it's cr@p, so my reports tend just to be for good days. help balance it up a bit

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
well i have another week booked at falls for the last week of aug. I prefer to be at Falls with marginal cover than at Hotham. fingers crossed we get some sort of new cover.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
What about the Hoppet course? Are the xc trails holding up, or have they been hammered? Will they have to move the course up the top, as in 06? Is there enough snow up there? Currawong? Anyone?
It has to snow tonight and Thursday and...

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
currawong said:
Auska, it would be really good if you and other guys who post conditions here would also post in the comments section of the snow reports, here You have to register but then you can rate the extent of cover and the quality of the surface and leave your comments.

a lot more people see those reports than this thread.

it shouldn't just be my opinion in there. i tend not to bother going up when it's cr@p, so my reports tend just to be for good days. help balance it up a bit

Curra,
I'll keep that in mind for next season.
Saturday, was probably my last day skiing this season.
A

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
CC

As I was leaving FC yesterday, I gave a lift to a Mt Beauty local xc skier, she was telling me that the Hoppet organisers are already planning to move the course higher up towards Mt McKay to ensure adequate cover.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
they would be reluctantly considering that option, but my (very reliable) sources tell me that they are still hoping it won't come to that.

the high course was last used in 2006. It is a last resort.

i think the lake circuit part of the hoppet is pretty much an impossibility, but the sun valley and birky segments of the course are still ok.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I was supposed to work, but client called to say he was going skiing instead. so yes, I did ski. lovely sunny day, first time this season that I've worn spring clothes. the snow wasn't as good as Tuesday (when it was fantastic), but still a good day

gotta love clients who have their priorities right
biggrin.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
had to work today (instead of yesterday). talking to people who went it up, it was pretty heavy today, but the expected rain hasn't happened

Snowsharkie

First Runs
Aug 20, 2009
Hi I'm coming up on Sunday the 23rd for 5 days!

The Snow is looking epic on Tuesday!!!
I have a question! What speed do the winds need to be for the lifts to go on wind hold?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
30 kts or 60 kph is usually enough to shut most lifts at falls.

thunderstorms are also a lift stopper, although not usually for a full day

Snowsharkie

First Runs
Aug 20, 2009
What do you think about this week coming?

50km to 60km Mon, Tue, Wed!

Will we get much sking in or will it be Drink Time!!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
not sure what your source for those forecasts is.
Often the wind is not as bad as the forecast.
Weatherzone have
Monday Gale
Tuesday Strong
Wednesday Fresh

That is for whole of Australian alpine area, not so very specific. On that basis, Monday is a worry for windhold, but not necessarily so. Other days are probably ok for most lefts. On very windy days, and bad visibility days, Ruined Castle and Scotts aren't much fun even if they are open. There is some sheltered skiing off Scotts, but the lift ride is very exposed.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
In the valley this morning it's absolutely p1ssing down. Temp up top is 2.5C.
frown.gif

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Miserable up on the mountain today.

Entire place is on wind hold but it is raining and has been all night. Cover was soft and heavy last night so this will give it a beating.

Maze is shut, inter should be, summit will struggle after this rain unless they get >20cm out of the followup snow.

Home trails into the bowl were OK but a bit patchy into the lower village, streets are cleared.

Snowsharkie

First Runs
Aug 20, 2009
Looks like the front is close!

Temp should start to drop within the next hour and hopefully snow around 1:30pm!!!

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
I have never encountered a day when all lifts have been on windhold.

On the strongest of gales I've seen at Falls, the Lift Co. still have operated the Tube Lift for all riders.

There will always be some who are desperate enough to brave the wind and rain !

snowobsessedgirl

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2007
Adelaide
snowduck said:
I have never encountered a day when all lifts have been on windhold.

On the strongest of gales I've seen at Falls, the Lift Co. still have operated the Tube Lift for all riders.

There will always be some who are desperate enough to brave the wind and rain !
The snow report says gully lift and tube park running. On the cams this morning gully doesnt look that skiable though. I agree I haven't seen a wind hold day where those two lifts arent running either!

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Snowing heavily now.

Started puking down at about 2pm and snowed for about 2 hours and probably dropped 3-4cm but the wind was huge. It then stopped for the next few hours and just started again about 15 minutes ago. The wind has eased up and it is snowing heavily now but the radars indicate it will only be for about an hour.

They need 20cm+ to repair the damage from the rain and the last couple of days. That will bring them back to where they were a week ago, 30cm+ to be back before the last rain event last Sunday.

Fingers crossed for a decent amount overnight.

Lift Co were crediting lift tickets with replacements for tomorrow without a question today.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
so you're telling me not to sleep in the morning and to skip my bakery coffee

damn, I knew I shoulda waxed the skis today (in the carport with a river running through it)

Cliff-jumper_2000

First Runs
Mar 24, 2000
Vic, Australia
decided to bit the bullet and get upto Falls yesterday(never been before) really wasnt expecting much considering all the rain but was hoping for it to dump overnight! Anyway got to the carpark greeted with a bule sky and zero breeze was stoked! Could see all the guns blazing and about 5cm of fresh dry snow. Head up and was surprised how good the cover held up pretty much everything was open and skiing was great till about 11 where the wind can up and the cloud rolled in iceing everything up so just had a ball in the park. Started snowing about 3.30 we left at 4 was still snowing. Overall expecting a pretty average cover things where looking great up there still
smile.gif

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Then turned to rain after that and drizzled all night and was still drizzle when I left at 9:30 this morning.

11 hours later and I am watching the F1 GP.

Fest

Hard Yards
May 11, 2006
Sydney
I'm heading down on Thursday for 5 days... fingers crossed there will be some reasonable snow left by then! I'm not to worried if it's a bit slushy, so long as it isn't sheets of ice I'm happy.

Time for a sacrifice to the snow gods I think...

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
Good news chaps and chicks,

From my abode in Adelaide I can tell you a storm has just rolled in over this city. Temps are down around 10, with plenty of rain. This intense front should cross Falls later tonight.

Blowing a gale too.

Prepare for fresh powder !

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Well got into Falls this afternoon, looks pretty miserable out there, most lifts were closed this morning, international looks horrid. I am hoping that we get fresh snowfalls tonight.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
been trying to decide whether to go up and see if the wind is bearable and if the fresh has accumulated nicely in the right places. They are claiming 9cm fresh but predicting more high winds.

this pic tells a lot. just look at the bare ice uncovered by the wind. and this is top of towers, not scotts

fallscreek-drovers6.jpg

tempting none-the-less, but maybe I should stay home and attack a few chores I've been avoiding.

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
Ruined Castle and Scotts are now on wind-hold for the rest of the day. The forecast wind speeds are extreme. Probably a good time to leave the hill, secure all loose outdoor items and consider some indoor pastimes.

Update: Eagle Chair and Monkey Bar now on wind-hold.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
It was smashing this morning great coverage on the backside lots of powder stashes, got first tracks and very happy.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Just got back from my afternoon session and damn that wind is brutal, lots of wind blown stashes about, however its uncovering lots of icy patches.
There was nothing on last hoot yesterday, and literally just grass and dirt, today it was skiable. Powderkeg always has some great coverage and wind blown when conditions are like this. Stuck to the cover of the trees in and about wombat and last hoot and fast hoot.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
we have just had our power go out at falls creek, after a huge wind gust. Looking around at the other building near by nothing but emergency exit lights are on, so power seems to be out. Anyone else at falls experiencing this?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass