Last edited by a moderator:

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Today's snow conditions were, where it was sheltered, some of the best skiers and boarders have had this winter.

Seems pretty clear there - only in sheltered runs. The statement is probably absolutely spot on.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Got back in from morn session snowed all of today pretty much, found some amazing powder stashes this morn first lift was in ankle deep and in some sections almost knee deep.

P

PolePlant

Hows tommorow looking ?
Be windy by better vis possible.
Buller is a bit shakey on lifts. (no Sth Side or Grimus will suck)
Dont want to be at Hotham for a howler = no orchard.
Falls sounds pretty good for Thursday.
But since I aint been there for about 10 years I'd rather get it from someone in the know.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Everything was closed today on windhold except gully summit and tube. The maze was open. Hope that thurs is not a repeat of today. Having said that there is sheltered runs through last hoot, the maze if it opens and thus a lot of the trails through that area. Then there is quartzed and shadow ridge for more sheltered runs.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
weatherzone said:
Partly cloudy. Winds northwesterly averaging 45 to 55 km/h, reaching 60 km/h at times.

The snow & ski forecast section also says "improving" visibility.

60kph is wind hold territory at falls. strange as it may seem, Hotham copes with high wind better than Falls. Some lifts at Hotham keep turning when Falls has closed everything (assuming you don't count Gully)

Even if it's not wind hold, Scotts is pretty unbearable to ride when the wind is strong. Ruined can be pretty nasty too. These are the first lifts to go on hold. They would be risky for tomorrow. On the other hand, if visibility is ok, there could be some fantastic skiing in this area

Lakeside is good in wind because it's a drag lift - closer to ground, and you can get off early if you want to. They often leave afair bit ungroomed that is accessible from Lakeside. Towers is mainly pretty tame, but Rapunzels and Quartz ridge can be a lot of fun. Drovers is tame but if they leave the side ungroomed it can be very pleasant. Last Hoot could also be good. Summit is probably not consistently good cover but I heard that it was fun yesterday.

In summary - less chance of complete wind hold at Hotham, but potential for some good times at Falls

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
currawong said:
Lakeside is good in wind because it's a drag lift - closer to ground, and you can get off early if you want to.

I thought this was a no-no on Lakeside. I remember threads from (probably) years back with people saying offloading half way up was the cause of problems with the Poma going offline.
confused.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
no problem with unloading part way - just don't do it near a tower, and don't swing out. ski school does it all the time. The lower pitch is perfect for practising all sorts of things, but the top is pretty flat. People who swing out or get off close to towers should be hung drawn quartered and made to lick the floor clean in fryers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
If it gets caught on the tower it is ugly. Just after a tower is fine, just before is not.

Monkeybar was stopped for half an hour while we were there when a kid unloaded at the track to cloud 9 just before a tower and it swung up and caught on the tower and forced an emergency stop. Maintenance had to come in and unravel it - roping up to climb the tower, tying off, unwraping it from the cable and top of the tower etc. Quite a job.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
currawong said:
no problem with unloading part way - just don't do it near a tower, and don't swing out. ski school does it all the time. The lower pitch is perfect for practising all sorts of things, but the top is pretty flat. People who swing out or get off close to towers should be hung drawn quartered and made to lick the floor clean in fryers

That's funny, Alan Pay would probably like it, save on cleaning
smile.gif

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
Alimentary self-preservation has meant that I have studiously avoided the 'Frying Pan' for many years, despite staying within about 200 metres of it. Do I take it from previous posts that it might still have some issues?

I'd probably be just as happy with some medieval stocks in the Village Bowl as the punishment for de-railing drag lifts by premature disembarkation.

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
foxhound said:
I'd probably be just as happy with some medieval stocks in the Village Bowl as the punishment for de-railing drag lifts by premature disembarkation.

I was just saying yesterday there is nowhere near enough stocks action these days.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
going by the cams/reports falls got a nice lot of fresh this morning, have fun for those that are out there!

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
9am today shows nice accumulation on the rock wall, above the car park/turnaround... v the situation just yesterday morn.

fallscreek1_2009_08_30_09.jpg

fallscreek1_2009_08_29_09.jpg

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
2 forum members (somebody else and Snow Princess) were at FC yesterday, and did themselves very very proud. They came second in the Joey Hoppet (international XC races) mens and womens respectively. See the Hoppet thread in the Competition, Racing & Events forum.

Just heading into Mt Beauty after being at Falls today....two words really, Ice & Wind...but in saying that was still a good day and with winds predicted to drop tomorow it should be another good day.

We mainly stayed around Main St as Ruined Castle area was way too windy for us. you had to pick your lines as there was only about 5cm covering the icy base.

Only one incident today, stopped to see if a young guy who had fallen over was ok and he was crying and showed me his hand and he had dislocated his little finger and also popped the joint through the skin...so we called for ski patrol and they carted him off with his green pen for pain relief...poor bugger

So to sum it up...Icy patches due to wind blowing what new snow there is off the mountain...Im sure Thredbo got some of the snow they were pumping out of the guns this morning..hehe

Lifties were great today despite the conditions and making sure the chairs were full...Top job Guys!!

Lets see what tomorow brings...
woohoo.gif

Fest

Hard Yards
May 11, 2006
Sydney
Just got back from our trip, on the mountain from Friday to Tuesday - never before have I seen more varied conditions!

Friday wasn't bad, the snow was a little slushy and the visibility was poor, but perfectly fine for a few turns. I'd been watching the rain event predicted for the saturday for weeks, and it was [auto-censor] down in Mt Beauty where we were staying, so we sat around the house and played poker instead. Sunday you could REALLY see the rain damage - there was some fresh snow but LOTS of icy patches. Good snow in the sheltered tree runs but not great overall. Monday was cold and it varied between drizzling and snowing, the tradeoff was that the snow was excellent. There were several places where you could find some nice fresh patches, the downside was that many of the lifts were really exposed to high winds and rain. Tuesday had a little bit more snow, but it was nice and sunny - still a bit cool, but even still the sun turned the snow a bit soft by the end of the day. Still fun, but the areas around the summit chair were very tracked out and hard to ride at the end of the day. A few less hacked up runs over past Widowmaker capped off the weekend.

All in all a good trip - and the food only came to $32 a head!

dickyknees63

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
My family from Adelaide and very good friends now in Melb were up from Sun 30th - Thurs 3rd inclusive. Stayed at Diana (3rd visit for some of us). Thanks again to Lisa and her team for their terrific hospitality. Parents and kids love Diana! As reported above, Sunday was pretty misty but good skiing to be had for those of us who took advantage of the free arvo ski session. Nice to drive up the hill to be greeted by snow falling. 10cm reported overnight, so freshies to be had in the morning. Monday was wet and cold with snow continuing - must have been just around 0C as it was damp stuff - albeit base repairing. had to get a change of gloves at lunchtime - soaked! 11cm was reported this day and best runs IMO were between the trees on Quartz and Shadow Ridges. Summit was good but had to ski by feel (vis down to <40m at times). Very windy at top of Scotts/Ruined. Village was ski in/out at this stage. Tuesday and Wednesday were glorious. I'm told that these 2 days were the 10th & 11th sunny days of the season
shocked.gif
Maze was shut but still ok to ski Zipper and bits of Chainsaw. Inter poma did not run all week. Ski patrol told me there were simply too many creeks to negotiate out Wishing Well way. The groomed North facing runs off Summit were all a lot of fun between 10am (bit too icy before) & 1pm (bit too chopped and soft after). Afternoon skiing was mainly over the back both Tues & Wed around Vertigo Valley/Scotts/Ruined/South Side. Best snow was on South Side over the back. Could still get back home on all the village return trails (except Last Hoot: dirt at the bottom). Village roads very marginal, and vere cleared on the day of our departure i.e. Thurs. This was pretty handy for us as we could drive our cars up to the lodge, throw the bags in and away! 4.5hrs back to Melb beets the heck out of 12hr + drive to Adelaide. All things considered another great trip to Falls Creek!

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
yeah i think falls has done exceptionally well his season, for the marginal snow falls that we have had this years, most runs have been skiable throughout the majority of the season.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Falls is always a great mountain in a bad snow season. Seems to hold its cover really well (not to mention the fantastic snow making network).

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
dickyknees63 said:
My family from Adelaide and very good friends now in Melb were up from Sun 30th - Thurs 3rd inclusive. Stayed at Diana (3rd visit for some of us). Thanks again to Lisa and her team for their terrific hospitality. Parents and kids love Diana!

Yep, we loved Diana Lodge too, will be trying to book there next time we go to Falls. Good ski in/ski out when there is snow on the roads.

Alibar-bar

First Runs
Aug 22, 2002
Melbourne
What's the terrain park like at Falls? Is it much better than the one at Hotham? I'm looking to go skiing at Falls or Hotham from September 23rd - 27th and wanting to pretty much just do park (coz I'm guessing there's not gonna be much else to do...) - is the park usually still up and running around this time?

stackcheddar

First Runs
Jul 2, 2008
I'm interested to know what conditions will be like as well. Heading up around same time... 21st to 30th of sept.

I have been to falls for the last couple of years late in the season - slopes are pretty empty and snow cover has been pretty good on the beginner and intermediate runs however it has been very warm as of late...
frown.gif

Will the snow melt during the day turning it into unridable puddles??

I am looking to ride park as well but a group of friends want to go and not all of them are park rats.

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
I'd imagine drovers, towers, wombats ramble should be holding up ok its been cold, so fingers crossed they have been making snow.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
late sept is always a gamble. This is not an above average year. don't expect great late season conditions

unless there are freak weather conditions you can't expect to have a decent surface after midday (or even smoko).

i'd be very surprised if wombats is still open on 30th, let alone worth skiing/boarding by then.

there is a reasonable chance that towers will still be good cover at the end. I haven't been to drovers for 2 weeks, so won't speculate on that.

cover on scotts, ruined, lakeside is still good, but i wouldn't bet either way on whether it lasts enough to keep the lifts turning in late Sept . (actually they would probably close lakeside when visitation falls off)

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Hopefully this week will prevail good snowmaking conditions. Just from looking at the cams it appears Falls has held up pretty well compared to most of the other resorts.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If the temps and the humidity in Melbourne are anything to go by, I doubt they will be making much snow.

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
Went up last weekend. Saturday was pretty good for a spring day - not quite a freeze overnight, but reasonably firm in the morning, but quite soft in the afternoon. Felt sorry for the kids trying to race in the Interschools. Scotts and RC went on windhold just after lunch.

Saturday night was warm and windy, and that did the damage. Very soft from the start.

Summit - some good lines still possible through Cabbage Patch on Saturday. Did not go over on Sunday, but Knolls and Slot looked pretty much trashed.

RC, Scots, and Dark Side - still plenty of snow, but getting thin in spots. Given a reasonably cold night, the early morning session should be good for a while yet. All bets off if it rains.

Spring has definitely sprung - dark patches appearing on Spion Kopje, birds playing on bare patches on the runs, blow flies out, big sink holes appearing... time to think about the Northern winter or summer pursuits, depending on your preferences and means.

atlas

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2008
Fri 18 Light N-NNW winds increasing. Cloudy early with some light scattered showers at times.
Sat 19 Moderate W-WNW winds. Cloudy periods with some light drizzle at times.
Sun 20 Moderate WNW winds increasing. Cloudy with the chance of some light showers at times.

With these kinds of conditions, would anyone bother going this weekend?

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
Yes, possibly spinning just a little bit too hard again, especially when the Summit actually looks like this. I think you would be rather disappointed if you expected to encounter conditions at Falls Creek anything like those pictured.

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
Falls Creek has since removed the apparently pre-2007 Ruined Castle pic and substituted this one.
500_Springtowers.jpg

Towers wasn't that good at the weekend, but I understand that it froze on Sunday night.

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
Falls Creek is working very hard with limited snow resources. Falls Creek gets some collateral damage from a 'Mt Buller effect' in that if Victorians think that Mt Buller conditions are terrible, they typically believe that it applies universally to all resorts.

South-facing slopes with snow-making such as Scotts, Towers and Drovers should see the season out, Ruined Castle was getting very patchy. Wombats was closed on Sunday, but the Home Trail still operated. Conditions aren't too bad if you want to experiment with something new (e.g. try a different snowsport in the softer Spring conditions).

All the same, I think I'll be parting with some Yen for my next lift ticket (in Niseko).

foxhound

First Runs
Apr 19, 2007
It is apparently 'epic' (in both NSW and Vic) if you can believe this 'spin'.
I hope it will be this weekend, but I rather fear it won't.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
And if you believe their reports this "is suited to beginners who want to test out their snow legs"

thredbo3_2009_09_24_10.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass