2010 Buller Reports/Info/Pics Thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Jameski said:
Tirol is listed as running today on the Buller report...

Indeed it is
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
One night I am going to go back through my last 3 years of snow reports and graph the Family Run snow depth I think
smile.gif

But yes, 90cms for mid September is pretty darn good

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
im amazed at how well the old girl has held up...great tail end to the season
smile.gif

P

PolePlant

greyskibunny said:
Just another thought, are they taking out the T-bars because they are hard for boarders to ride?

Most likely Environmental reasons.

Read the ARMB regulations.
A person may not get on or off a ski lift from anywhere but the loading station.
This is specific to drags lifts.
Anyone that skis knows being able to get of a drag lift is the major good thing about them.
Beneficial to the design.

It is not a rule about ski lift safety that is a Work Safe standard, it is about what you cannot do in the resort area.
The reason for it is they dont want people treading off the lift lines and on to precious shrubbery and PP, and confine people on the ground to the runs only.
But that is not enough for some who say they remove drag lifts because they limit habitat corridors like a roadway does too. Dr Ian Manserg et al
Chair lifts not.

And they provide greater lifting capacity (without convienience).
Some peanut decided if you go up the Chair faster you wont mind having to ski back down to another lift or point you may have accessed by getting off the drag lift.
Great till the chair stops every 4th chair for some slacker to crawl on or off it.
Great thing about drag lifts is if they can stop the lift by failing they just fall to side normally, better luck next time.

LOL

First Runs
Aug 19, 2010
been snowing steadily all day. just got home from dinner and the road, whichwas clear at 8pm, has round 2-3cm on it ! fresh and dry. true story.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
5cms of dust on top of the frozen base should be good this morning, could probably go untracked in certain places all day as there wouldnt be many people up the hill.

Good times.

skidown said:
A few out in singlets and t-shirts but no talent worth snapping a photo
frown.gif
Where was miss_b_teasin ?

I probably would have been packing my ski gear in preparation. . .

skidown said:
Morning tea, for you miss_b_teasin & mx_boarder and others:
9e90aa6d.jpg

Thankyou. I had some for arvo tea on Wed & Thurs too.
Mega slabs from the cute guy behind the counter.
biggrin.gif

It’s mid-September, wattles are blooming and blossoms are blossoming, whilst snow was falling on the hill. I got back from 2 days at Buller last night - thanks zizzle & Buller for providing the opportunity with the ½ price tix
thumbsup.gif
without which I wouldn’t have been there.

Sadly though, it’s probably my last ski for the season.
frown.gif

(Unless there's another megadump I can't resist, or I get more halfprice tix of course!)

First lifts, first tracks each day, and yesterday was freshies all day before last lifts then too. Yesterday was even better than Wed with the snow falling all day, whilst Wednesday's snowfalls weren't as dry or as much. The fog and wet snow in the middle of the day made hard work - that's when it was time to stop for lunch, but the afternoon cleared sensationally, and we were even rewarded with a few patches of blue sky and moments of sun.
smile.gif

Yesterday was even better. There was no icy corduroy juddering under skis, just that soft swish of fresh whispering sweetly in our ears. Bliss.

There were very few people yesterday, whilst Wednesday was only slightly busier, but there still weren’t many at all, and no waiting for lifts with chairs to ourselves both days.

After lunch at Koflers yesterday, we went down Boomerang back to Howqua Chair and either ours were the first tracks there for the day around 1pm or others’ tracks were getting filled in fast with plenty of fluffy stuff.

The bottom portion of Boomerang & Chute is thin with roped off grass patches, but you can pick your way down nonetheless.
Cross Cut is closed.
Family is pristine white, even at the bottom which is usually getting brown by now.
Standard and nearby areas were getting slightly brown in areas, and heavy by lunchtime Wednesday, but better yesterday.
Wombat/LBS and surrounding terrain; sensational.
No-one on Summit chair; a bit windy up there.

The snow is in excellent shape, and groomed areas are in superb condition. Even alot of non-groomed are in terrific condition particularly for this time of the season, with great cover and heaps of fun terrain & trails through trees (given a hard time sometimes for being being just a li’l thang, it comes in handy as I have no problems with overhanging branches or narrow tracks
biggrin.gif
).

Snow fell much of the day yesterday, sometimes the pretty floatie flakes, other times they were miniature ball-bearings.
Wind-shmind. Yeah, God was having a chuckle with those ball-bearings pounding uncovered cheeks into mince-meat at the top of the mountain at times, but it’s Alpine region - dress accordingly. That’s what beanies and bandanas/neckrolls are for.

God was also shaking out his dandruff, so no complaints from me. The day is what you make of it - ours was uber-fun.

The southern slopes were out of the wind, so no issue except at the very tops. Sometimes visibility was down to 20m, other times you could see the complete runs top to bottom, and even across the sun-kissed mountains to the south and slight patches of blue sky through thin cloud.

Oh, and I don’t even remember when I last saw that much water at Bonnie Doon – yeah, it’s usually dark when I drive through there too skidown, but with Spring and the longer daylight hours, you could see it pretty well.

To lifties & groomers
thumbsup.gif

And upon the recommendations of some here, I tried Tirol for the first time. Their chicken burgers & chips also get a thumbs up.
Nice hot choccies too – Apres bar could use some lessons on hot chocs, and non-soggy chips. We didn’t even bother with Apres this time.
Koflers kranskys & focaccias were yum too. Their salad is nice and fresh, no wilty brown lettuce there.
Afternoon tea goes without saying, though brief pauses only as skiing was too much fun.
Still, I can’t pass the last opportunities for apricot moguls. The guy asked, which piece would you like? I replied; the ones with the most cholesterol inducing calories. He kindly obliged. In fact, the apple was a slab the size of two slices, and the cream was about falling off the plate.

The only disappointing thing for the day was hearing “last liftâ€. Nooooo! I felt I could ski on for hours, as strong as 100 gladiators.
. . . Today, maybe not so much. I think the lions might have won a round or two.

I much prefer Horse Hill chair, and loathe choking on the diesel fumes of the bus and rolling around the corners, which is even worse when having to stand (had seats this time though). Sitting there by the end of the day though, I realised my legs were so wrecked that, mx, had you been in the carpark I’d have about taken you up on your offer! However, the bus drove right up through the carpark which had only a few remaining cars scattered about, and it stopped almost right beside my lonesome little car. Bonus.

My advice for anyone thinking about going up this weekend; Do it, do it now!

Photos to follow soon.
Need a hot tub and Baileys first. . .

Good Moooooooorning Buller - second last weekend for me. A few beers at Grimus was a nice way to start the weekend, maybe a ski with CM today and then friends over tonight for cassoulet. Cloud in the valley, nice and cold. Bit of cloud passing through the Village atm but think we should get a pretty clear day.

Bring it on!

IMG_0434.jpg

Organising these photos, I realised why we enjoyed Thursday even more than Wednesday, despite Thursday being slightly windier, colder and more snow pellets - it's the scenery.

Looking at the forlorn little snowgums all burned to a crisp now always makes me feel a little sad for them.
But wow, how they transform into such beauty after a day of snow!
It was this scenery that provided even more beauty and enjoyment on Thursday.

(and notice the almost-empty chairs again too)

Wednesday, before snow (although you can see snow falling at the time):

09-2010a-LookingupWombat.jpg

Thursday, after snow:

09-2010b-RidingupWombatChair.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
miss_b_haven said:
Have to chuckle at ski.com today with their "Visiblity: Excellent" claim, and then their twitter;
Tweet tweet! What's that I hear? Bluebird day at Buller!

Hmm, don't think there's too many bluebirds tweeting today.

In fairness, it was bluebird first thing.

Snow got pretty glue-y later today. Still had fun!

CarveMan said:
In fairness, it was bluebird first thing.

Snow got pretty glue-y later today. Still had fun!

Yeah, it just looked odd to read that and see the snowcams late morning when I did. It's a pity it didn't stay that way - although today looks pretty sweet.

Still, the fog helps reduce the snowmelt a bit. We had fog most of Wednesday and Thursday, and had a blast. I'd still rather be there in the fog, than not be there. I'd go up there again like that in a heart beat.
smile.gif

The forecast over the next week doesn't look real kind to the snow depth, so I hope everyone makes the most of it while they can.
smile.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Kofler's prices are incredibly reasonable, they are almost Melbourne CBD prices.

Quality is good too.

We don't just crap on and on and on about it for no good reason.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
I've never understood why people feel the need to down enough food & drink for 10 grown men at lunchtime in the snow!

I'm not a breakfast person, but I shove a handful of almonds in a pocket for when I do start to get a bit peckish, usually around 11am. I always ski right through the recognised lunch period as this time generally offers almost deserted slopes across entire mountains.

Around 2:00 I'll cruise to a stop at one of the slope-side "snacketerias", down two jam donuts and a can of something fizzy, reapply the sunscren and have my skis pointed back downhill again inside 15 minutes.

The dollars I didn't squander at lunchtime then go towards a nice restaurant dinner on the mountain that evening.

I would never knock Miss_B for her apple/apricot delights, but the prodigious quantities of food, (not to mention the equally prodigious dollar amounts), that I hear people mentioning when they're discussing what they spent on lunch just blows me away.

VSG said:
are you really saying that you don't mind paying $20 plus for a bit of apple slice and a coffee?

I wouldn't be paying $20. But $10 for a good hot chocolate & slab of freshly baked pie? Yeah, I'm OK with that. (I didn't inhale both drinks & pies myself, only one!)
smile.gif

I think in general, Kofler's prices are much what you'd pay for similar food anywhere in Melbourne.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
kimberlee81 said:
I would never knock Miss_B for her apple/apricot delights, but the prodigious quantities of food, (not to mention the equally prodigious dollar amounts), that I hear people mentioning when they're discussing what they spent on lunch just blows me away.

who goes to buller in search of a culinary bargain? that said, apple pie & coffee at koflers is an $11 proposition - top value!

kimberlee81 said:
I've never understood why people feel the need to down enough food & drink for 10 grown men at lunchtime in the snow!

I'm not a breakfast person, but I shove a handful of almonds in a pocket for when I do start to get a bit peckish, usually around 11am. I always ski right through the recognised lunch period as this time generally offers almost deserted slopes across entire mountains.

Around 2:00 I'll cruise to a stop at one of the slope-side "snacketerias", down two jam donuts and a can of something fizzy, reapply the sunscren and have my skis pointed back downhill again inside 15 minutes.

The dollars I didn't squander at lunchtime then go towards a nice restaurant dinner on the mountain that evening.

I had a chicken burger & chips for lunch at Tirol on Wednesday (around $15), and the afternoon tea ($10). Not enough for 10 grown men, for sure.

I don't buy/eat it every day, so don't think that's unreasonable for a day out. I'm up at 4.30am on day trips (or Day 1), and don't eat much for breakfast then. Usually just a hot choc & muesli bar in the car. So we have an earlier lunch when we get hungry, probably around 11.30, and it's nice to have something warm, especially on colder days like Wed & Thursday were.

The focaccia & salad at Kofler's for lunch on Thursday was about $15 from memory too. So it's not like it's going to break the bank (it's the gate entry & lift tickets that can do that!!
eek.gif
). And I like the fact that the cafes are there, they're reasonably priced & convenient, and so I'm happy to give them my custom when they're serving good, fresh food, and the staff are always friendly and nice. They're only there for such a limited time, they need to make a living too, and they're employing people, it keeps things spinning nicely for all.
smile.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
kimberlee81 said:

I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to survive a day skiing on:

No breakfast
Handfull of almonds
2 Jam donuts and a can of Coke

puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif

Standard routine for me:
5:15am - Breakfast before leaving home, bowl of cereal + slice of toast & glass of juice
7:15am - Bacon & Egg pie from Bertalli's Mansfield & another orange juice or similar drink
11:00am - Apple Pie & Hot Chocolate stop
1:45pm - Lunch - Lasagna & drink (Kofflers) OR Chicken burger and fries + Hot Chocolate $20 approx either weay.
4:45pm - Leave the hill
6:15pm - Dinner in Yea.

mx_boarder said:
who goes to buller the snow in search of a culinary bargain? that said, apple pie & coffee at koflers is an $11 proposition - top value!

Nothing in the snow is cheap, you are right!

But Apple pie and a hot chocy is GOLD, and quite cheap really!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass