2010 Buller Reports/Info/Pics Thread

CarveMan said:
I'm going to the GF but heading up straight after, see you on said slush bumps on Sunday.

or maybe at Grimus
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
CarveMan said:
Yes - the self-confessed Buller Wanchor that actually drives up in a 1.3L Suzuki Sierra to a draughty 1965 vintage club lodge build by his dad and his mates!

Says the man with a palatial Armadale residence, hot Euro hatch, and executive position with large pharmaceutical company...
biggrin.gif

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Vermillion said:
Get out.

Although MX does like to go over the top. Or on top i dont know ask PG.

its not enough that my aluminium masterpiece/bream fetcher is spoken ill of - i am then accused of....god knows what...in the above post.

your both off the xmas card list.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Heading up tomorrow. Missus has packed a book for her post-lunch spending time in a cafe (probably Koflers) session...so I'll get some playtime for myself.

Hope its a reasonable day tomorrow, wife has never seen Mt Buller summit.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Claude Cat said:
CarveMan said:
Yes - the self-confessed Buller Wanchor that actually drives up in a 1.3L Suzuki Sierra to a draughty 1965 vintage club lodge build by his dad and his mates!

Says the man with a palatial Armadale residence, hot Euro hatch, and executive position with large pharmaceutical company...
biggrin.gif

You obviously haven't seen the state of my front gate! 20' of street frontage does not a palace make:p

skixracer

Addicted
Sep 19, 2009
CarveMan said:
I've avoided the Hoo Ha for ages now, and am all the better for it.
I swear i've seen you there a few times this season.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
And some nice blonde ladies at the hoo haa, in front and behind the counter.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

fx 140 ski freek

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2001
portarlington victoria
was up skiing on monday
it was quite a warm day so i stored my jacket in a locker and skied in my t shirt, silly me it was my geelong t and boy did i cop crap from those oh so humble in victory collywobble supporters
even the liftie at southside had go pies etched into the snow at the bottom of mens downhill
at least he was respectfull
probably because he was working though
laugh.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Report for yesterday.

We left at 7:00 am Friday morning as we didn't think it was fair for the nanny to have to start work at 6 am! (#1 child stayed overnight with his Grandparents). There is nothing better than watching all the poor slaves line up at the train station to catch the train to work while you're loading you skis into the back of your station wagon.

We didn't get on snow until 11:30 am. Partly due to the missus having to hire gear, partly having to wait 15 minutes for a shuttle bus. By that time Bourke St had already turned to slush. After a few runs of Wombat I decided to head back to the car. It was warm and sunny in the car park, and I had decided to leave my jacket behind. On the hill though, there was a rather crisp breeze so while the missus went into the hoo hah to have a quick bite to eat I caught the bus back to the car park (also picked up the wife's ear flaps for her helmet).

After lunch we did a run of Standard which was slushy rubbish and had really poor cover. 'Good skiing' my arse! Truth be told, I wanted to do Standardjust to see what sort of condition the Bull Run bowl is in. Funnel and Wood Run are holding up well, the top two thirds have perfect cover, the bottom third has some shrubs sticking through the cover. There is only one line down Sun Valley left. Hoggs Back is skiable, but there are only a few lines through the rock bands.

Its funny viewing the hill through the eyes of an intermediate. If all you've skied all day is Wombat and Standard, the Bull Run bowl looks death defying!

We then headed to Summit - Howqua. My wife rode a T-bar for the first time in two years..unsuccessfully at first. Big probs to the blond towie with pig-tails, a black singlet and a big shovel...even my wife was impressed. Wife then headed into Koflers for a Brownie and to read a book, so I did a run of Summit-Fast One...nice slushy bumps and perfect cover. The next run I skied Slalom Gully and had a look into Fanny's... coverage not so good there. I did see an ice climber heading up chute 2.

Overall a lovely day out. It's very rare that we get to spend the entire day to ourselves without any kids!

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

schmick

First Runs
Jul 10, 2010
luvthabumps said:
don't take 'em down Wood Run or Sun Valley if you like your new bases.....

Hmm, thanks for the tip... So what runs still have good cover that won't do too much damage to my new toys? =)

P

PolePlant

Put up the closed image (worth looking at till next year IMO)

CM is working on another cam at some stage.
(I can do the hardware mount and fitting / connecting up if they need or any part thereof)

As for other new 24hr cams, comes down to the site.
They are not very costly to buy, all up about $1,000 completed and that's a decent Sony cam.
But you need to find a site before getting a camera.

A static cam is best for comparison of cover over time but if you can get a high point then it makes sense to use a cam that can move around and get multiple views if they are usefull.
And for static cams overnight a well lit area (like VS cam is fortunate to have) is a must.

I dont find it adds to the usefullness a lot by having real time other than some amusement seeing people moving on it or some snow falling.

I like the Hotham method having the camera move around but do static images of each view.
You get the best of both, comparative images of the same view and many views a PTZ cam can provide.
That requires some control scripting for the PTZ that is done by the folks who run the cam there and not so simple to do. But not impossible to replicate.
I still suspect a spot on top of Twin Towers would be a prime spot for that.

Odd timing right now as we closed the VS cam I am setting up a new cam for another purpose that will run for the next 6 months taking pics daily from a DSLR camera.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The cam's a winner. Look forward to having it back for 2011
smile.gif

Today was a great spring day, the sun was out most the day and the
snow is holding up very well.

cheapie

First Runs
Jul 23, 2007
Had a great time at Buller today, got in at about 9 and was surprised to find it all very soft and sugary already. Snow was great throughout the day on what was open, heaps of fun. Best $50 I've spent for a while.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Good to hear some nice turns are being had late into the season! I took the MTB out for a run yesterday, and with bright sun/22deg it was funny to think that theres still plenty of snow.

We are only 6 pages away from the magical 200 mark, so keep the reports/pics/banter coming folks.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

The late dump towards the end of the week should kick the page count along...

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
djam said:
The late dump towards the end of the week should kick the page count along...
Can't see a dump this week. 5cm at Buller if we're really, really lucky.
Just nice to make it Elephant snot by the weekend!
laugh.gif

Archy

First Runs
Aug 25, 2010
Hey All

Im heading up to buller for a day trip tomorrow. Any thoughts on where I should head to run wise? Im capable of skiing anything at buller however its been nearly 10yrs since I have been to the resort so any tips would be great. Im not a massive fan of day trips but I thought would last slide for the season should be done before Japan in Feb!

Thanks Guys
Adam

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Bull Run area is getting a bit patchy - if you know the area backwards it's fine but wouldn't be much fun if you're stumbling through it.

Southside inc top half of Women's Downhill, Wombat Bowl and Fast One area have the best advanced skiing on the hill. Still plently of snow on the groomers of Summit, Wombat & LBS & Men's Downhill. I didn't ski Shakey Knees on the weekend but I hear it's still fine on the RHS under the snow guns.

Archy

First Runs
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the info CarveMan, if you see someone dressed in a white jacket, green pants and sporting a beaming smile flash past you on Fast One, feel free to give a thumbs up
thumbsup.gif

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
CarveMan said:
Brilliant Spring skiing again today. CG just counted, we did about 25 runs, best were Hog's, Women's and Chute 1.

Yea I saw you ski 1 a couple of times. I was going to do it on Monday but +1 decided not to ski and I wasn't going to do it by myself.
frown.gif

snorkstar

First Runs
Aug 8, 2008
melbourne, australia
Thats it. all over for me for the season. a pretty good days boarding with some mates for this late in september. Couldnt complain about the snow cover.plenty of fun had with little crowds. dare say there will be a few sore bodies by the time we get back to melbourne tonight with everyone trying that one last time to stomp a trick or 2 you been practising all season. all in all its been a pretty good season i have found. time now to put the gear away and start getting some spending money together before hitting Revelstoke for a month in the new year. and keep an eye on the work being done on the mountain in the off season.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Had another great skiing on Saturday. The hill was empty.

This has been the best spring skiing for aaaaages.
biggrin.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass