2011 Buller Reports/Info/Pics Thread

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It's that time of year again, snow has fallen, more is in the forecast and a few people are up and about on the mountain.

As in previous years it's good to have a one-stop-shop for current conditions, trip reports, photos and any discussions, rumours & info that is Buller-related.

As usual moderation will be loose at best, but for the truly off-topic stuff keep it in the Banter thread.

This thread got nearly 1 million views last year, so while much of it was bullshitting amongst the regulars, it really does seem to provide information to users of the forum, so I hope that again it aids in trip planning and making the most of your time on the hill.

P

PolePlant

And I can report that I am third to post in the 2011 season reports thread and
I have nothing to report right now.
Awaiting further news.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
As fourth poster, I feel its important to convey that I too have nothing to add. On a more serious note - the birth of the report thread is always a good indication that we aren't far off trip 1!!

Bring on trees, epic fresh to the bottom of cow camp, and apricot mogul.

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
CarveMan said:
This thread got nearly 1 million views last year, so while much of it was bullshitting amongst the regulars, it really does seem to provide information to users of the forum,

The info is always appreciated and personally, I quite enjoy all the bullshitting between the regulars!

Looking forward to getting up there soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
ok
now the 6th post of the year 2011, not much too report, a cold clear night with a full moon, current temp on buller 4.1 ( from BOM website )

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
This thread is already full of wanchors and wanchors wannabes.
rolleyes.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
P

PolePlant

Any low down on Gate tickets this year Wolly.
Who's selling them, swipe cards ? etc.

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
hey PP
as for gate passes I have limited knowledge, but my undersatnding is you buy them online and print them out, some where ( mansfield and beyond ) you swipe your ticket at a "kiosk" and then proceed to buller. Just past the gate is a reader which somehow knows you have a pre paid ticket. I could be very very wrong with my interpretation of the whole thing!!! but hey I have been wrong before.

P

PolePlant

Next step is more outlets for ski lift ticks too.
If we could purchase both skia and parking ticks online and scan through on the way that'd cut time, any saved counts for day trips.

StackMyster

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2009
Geelong Victoria
My guess 237.5

I finally bought myself a set of Rossignol skis last week and am pumped about the snow season, then I go out a play tennis and get home a my knee starts swelling up
mrbang.gif
. Going to go to a physio soon. Hopefully its only minor and i can ski this season

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Telemark Phat said:
I'll be down for the first time this winter.

Will you fix your bindings while you're at it?

P

PolePlant

PG said:
Telemark Phat said:
I'll be down for the first time this winter.

Will you fix your bindings while you're at it?

CM needs to fix his too after Lake Mountain accident.
I saw the video
He came skiing past the camere and went for a corner and suddenly snapped off both heels, stayed upright though, good effort.

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Perhaps someone can enlighten me here, is there a run called 'St Christopher' at Buller?
I've been going there for many years on and off but have never heard of this nor remember seeing it on any trail map.
Or is it one of those runs that exist but aren't public knowledge?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC

themaninblack

Hard Yards
May 10, 2009
Change of subject. Is the new Burnt Hut Chair completed, did they ever even start construction or was the project dumped?

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
the burnt hut chair has not started being built yet , all reports saying it will be in for 2012, the project definately not dumped

themaninblack

Hard Yards
May 10, 2009
Interesting. If my memory serves me correctly Buller management stated last year that the had contracted Doppelmayr to install a new fixed grip quad to run up to Baldy/ top of Tirol area somewhere, which would be ready for 2011 season. Did some problem arise?

LOL

First Runs
Aug 19, 2010
the banter has started ! so the season is just around the corner... welcome back everyone

themaninblack said:
Interesting. If my memory serves me correctly Buller management stated last year that the had contracted Doppelmayr to install a new fixed grip quad to run up to Baldy/ top of Tirol area somewhere, which would be ready for 2011 season. Did some problem arise?

DSE has not granted planning permit yet. Got it straight from the mouth of the Head Honcho last week. Let me tell you, no-one is more p-o'd than him.

timonearth

Hard Yards
Jul 20, 2010
Melbourne mostly.
2nd_String_QB said:
CarveMan said:

Any clues as to where it is CarveMan?
Hey 2nd String.

It's on the north side of the mountain, it's still very much a ski-able area when there's enough snow, it's just not individually labelled on the maps these days.

smile.gif

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
bobly said:
2nd_String_QB said:
CarveMan said:

Any clues as to where it is CarveMan?
Hey 2nd String.

It's on the north side of the mountain, it's still very much a ski-able area when there's enough snow, it's just not individually labelled on the maps these days.

smile.gif
But it is shown on the North Side trail map on the Buller website.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
CarveMan said:
I actually posted it in the relevant thread ages ago, but the blog was on hiatus so never updated it there, and just remembered that it's something timely to post about!

See the FB improvement, people can now post to your blog with their FB

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It was driven by a comment on here in the skigies thread actually, Richard mentioned that the forums aren't capturing the young 'uns largely due to Facebook, so I thought I'd give the Facebook comments a try, people might be more likely to interact with a familiar interface.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I think it's a bit different with the forums as the participation is the content.

For me the blog is the content, and the participation is a bonus.

I don't think you'd want FB to 'own' your content.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass