2011 Buller Reports/Info/Pics Thread

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Re: 2010 Buller Pics & Reminisce Thread

I'm at Cawarra lodge and will spending most of the day either on Bourke st, making snowballs or in bed. A combination of a noisy heating duct and a sore tummy meant I was up all night.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

bummer...

Big dump didn't happen either
frown.gif
Yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Doesn't matter. Lucas lasted half an hour on skis this morning. Partly my fault.. I thought we could pick up where we left off last year, but it is not to be. Have to get back to basics and start all over again. Made a good snowman though

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

solid snow falling outside now...

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

ok, so it lasted for about 5 minutes

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

5 or 10cms of snow of new snow on no base

Who cares

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

PG said:
Doesn't matter. Lucas lasted half an hour on skis this morning. Partly my fault.. I thought we could pick up where we left off last year, but it is not to be. Have to get back to basics and start all over again. Made a good snowman though

Perfect
woohoo.gif

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

where is the snowman, I can't see it...oh, there it is around the front with the forked arms, nice.. looking a little Alien
smile.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

The crows ate his eyes and nose though I suspect

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

so, did you bring some lego with you ?

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Yes. Lucas brought up an F18 hornet which he built himself. Where are you staying?

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Definition of ski holiday hell - being stuck in a lodge with a hyperactive 5 year old who doesn't want to ski, and a precocious two year old who treats the rickety winding stairs as a play equipment.

A late afternoon epic snow battle and some tobagganing for the two year old (who loved it) has worn them out.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy

get amongst it PG!

hit the hooha later for a few pots.

laugh.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

I'll be in bed by nine pm I reckon. I doubt I'll be able to stay up for qualifying tonight at Monza. You and skidown should get up here, the blonde bartender at Kooroora at lunchtime looked like your cup of tea.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

The first Mt Buller Short Film Festival was packed and had some great entries...

cameo role for djam in Chris HW's entry
wink.gif

great night - a few technical but had a great feel just like the old surf flick days at the Brighton Town Hall in the late 70s early 80s

only problem is the cinema was already overflowing in the first year. Not sure where they're going to put everyone next year.

Look out Sundance
biggrin.gif

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

more snow overnight, still snowing lightly outside, the radar makes the next few hours look promising.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay

This is good, hopefully they can hold some runs in decent condition through school holidays.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

We left at midday in order to co-ordinate the return trip with the sleep cycles of our two year old. Our cunning plan fell to pieces when she woke up in Mansfield when I had to return Lucas' stuff...which meant that she screamed and wailed all the way to Yea.

Compared to the fantastic succes of putting Lucas on skis last year, this year was a complete failure. D'oh. Anyway, onto some photos

Saturday morning and as enthusiastic as ever...sadly it didn't last

IMG_0219.jpg

First day in the snow for Tatjana

IMG_0228.jpg

Some handiwork

IMG_0230.jpg

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

Great work PG
biggrin.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Now, onto a rant. I haven't stayed on mountain at Buller since 1992 so I had no idea what the overnight car park costs were. When I was quoted $58 at MIrimbah... I thought that sounded about right...and perhaps $20 or so for a taxi.

When the attendant then said "I'm sorry.... that's $158 including your taxi fees" I almost exploded with incredulous rage.

The taxi prices here are absolutely mind boggling. This seems that parking itself costs $68 for the weekend. Luckily for us Tatjana gets a free ride, otherwise it would have been an extra $23.

A family of four would normally spend $120 in taxi fares for a weekend. That's a five-minute ride in a shared minibus or Land Criuser troop carrier. People jump up and down about the Falls Creek oversnow.... yet somehow the MMBL taxi has been spared the same vitriol.

Something is not quite right here. If I'm a day tripper, I can catch a bus from the Horse Hill carpark to the Village Square with a back pack and ski gear for free. Once I'm in the Village, I can catch a bus with a back pack and gear within the village itself for free.

Yet if I want to be transported from the overnight car parks to a lodge, I pay through the nose.

As a point of comparison, Hotham car parking is $39.50 a night.

I wonder why they won't run a bus service at night time from the overnight car parks to the Village Square.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

mx_boarder said:
PG said:
she screamed and wailed all the way to Yea.

was it the music?

Not even 'Go to sleep Jeff' by The Wiggles had any effect.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

I get that PG, but you of all people should have known the prices from the Mt Buller website, and many people have ranted about it before
smile.gif

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Good rant. Apparently the MMBL contract is up for tender with the RMB at the moment. My prediction - more of the same.

Much of the 'economic unsustainability' at Buller is a result of the RMB. Taxation without representation at it's finest.

the $900 we pay for our Village Parking is ridiculous, but it sure beats the taxis. The ultimate irony of our Village parking is that if we had a million dollar apartment with underground parking, our permit would be $600, but as we are members of a rickety old club lodge (that the RMB was hounding off the hill until the GFC) our permit is $300 more due to our parking being on the roadside. How does that work out?

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy

The cost does suck - and as a family it adds up bigtime! I only ever drive up with one or two others so we don't really 'notice' the expense over a long weekend away.

The actual service is terrific though.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

After chatting to djam last night, I realised something was missing from this thread. So I'll kick off with something I built Lucas in April this year

DSC02640.jpg

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02665.jpg

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

DSC02668.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

arr, good to see the Lego make a come back. A different plane from the one Lucas had with him last night I see.

I hate to break the bad news, back the skiing this afternoon was awesome. Fog lifted and the sun was out for
quite a while. The new snow is nice to ski on, fast and light.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009

CarveMan said:
the $900 we pay for our Village Parking is ridiculous, but it sure beats the taxis. The ultimate irony of our Village parking is that if we had a million dollar apartment with underground parking, our permit would be $600, but as we are members of a rickety old club lodge (that the RMB was hounding off the hill until the GFC) our permit is $300 more due to our parking being on the roadside. How does that work out?

It's either on site (on land you already pay through the nose for) or roadside, public space, which they also clear the snow off. What's hard to understand about that ?

PG said:
When the attendant then said "I'm sorry.... that's $158 including your taxi fees" I almost exploded with incredulous rage.

That's a major consideration as to why we do overnighters off-mountain. That taxi fare buys a heckuvalot of apricot moguls instead.

Good that you had a sprinkling of fresh though - it transforms the mountain completely.
smile.gif

Kids look cute in their snowsuits - any pics of them skiing, or did you not get that far? Did you get to ski yourself though?

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Lucas lasted about 20 minutes on skis. He suffered from a complete lack of enthusiasm this time around (compared to last year). I will also wear some of the blame for expecting too much. I should have gone back to basics and concentrated on balance and straight running and used the edgy-wedgy again...instead of expecting him to pick off from where we left off last year.

I didn't ski myself.

I forgot to add that the Nasi Goreng from Wox Work is the real deal and I highly recommend it. The Fried Kway Teow was ok.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy

PG said:
Lucas lasted about 20 minutes on skis. He suffered from a complete lack of enthusiasm this time around (compared to last year). I will also wear some of the blame for expecting too much. I should have gone back to basics and concentrated on balance and straight running and used the edgy-wedgy again...instead of expecting him to pick off from where we left off last year.

why not put him in a lesson?

P

PolePlant

When he realises the skiing thing is on going and the point of going to the snow he will probably focus more. Right now its probably just another thing you do when you go on holidays and optional to him.
They do it in their own time.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne

PG said:
Now, onto a rant. I haven't stayed on mountain at Buller since 1992 so I had no idea what the overnight car park costs were. When I was quoted $58 at MIrimbah... I thought that sounded about right...and perhaps $20 or so for a taxi.

The taxi prices here are absolutely mind boggling. This seems that parking itself costs $68 for the weekend. Luckily for us Tatjana gets a free ride, otherwise it would have been an extra $23.

A family of four would normally spend $120 in taxi fares for a weekend. That's a five-minute ride in a shared minibus or Land Criuser troop carrier. People jump up and down about the Falls Creek oversnow.... yet somehow the MMBL taxi has been spared the same vitriol.

Something is not quite right here. If I'm a day tripper, I can catch a bus from the Horse Hill carpark to the Village Square with a back pack and ski gear for free. Once I'm in the Village, I can catch a bus with a back pack and gear within the village itself for free.

Yet if I want to be transported from the overnight car parks to a lodge, I pay through the nose.

As a point of comparison, Hotham car parking is $39.50 a night.

I wonder why they won't run a bus service at night time from the overnight car parks to the Village Square.

With a family it is quite harsh
frown.gif

Being just the two of us, +1 and I walk it. I am not paying them any more than I have to.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

mx_boarder said:
why not put him in a lesson?

He wasn't interested.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy

What kid is ever excited about the first day of school?

Throw him in ski school and hit up Koflers for some apple pie and other associated wanchory.

PG said:

I didn't ski myself.

Ah, that's a bit disappointing then. Itty bitty kids on skis are the cutest things. Never mind, hopefully there'll be plenty of skiing opportunities next year - for all of us!
smile.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

mx_boarder said:
Throw him in ski school and hit up Koflers for some apple pie and other associated wanchory.
Yeah...because if he's not interested in skiing throwing him in a line up with a bunch of kids he doesn't know to walk up and down the green carpet for two hours is bound to increase his enthusiasm.

We had a look at the ski school and watched some of the kids..but as I said he just wasn't interested. Last year he was.

C'est la vie!

For the record I hated my first days on skis (when I was 14) primarily due to bad ski school experiences. My dad taught me to parallel ski inside four days and I could do Village Run at Falls Creek on day three....nothing like traversing over the mogul fields and doing stem christies over every 8th bump!

There is no hurry... starting skiing at 14 didn't do me any harm.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

miss_b_haven said:
Ah, that's a bit disappointing then. Itty bitty kids on skis are the cutest things. Never mind, hopefully there'll be plenty of skiing opportunities next year - for all of us!
smile.gif

I got my 'fix' at Hotham in the middle of August so I wasn't fussed about not getting turns in on the weekend.

Leaving my wife (who has bruised a disc in her back) at the lodge with two kids for the morning while I grabbed some turns is not a recipe for marital harmony.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

This was my Facebook status today last year:

Corn in the Chutes, Slush bumps on Cow Camp, Cherry Blossoms and Wattles blooming in Merrijig, Bogong Moths hitting the windscreen on a deserted road home, it must be Spring. Love it!

cry.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

CarveMan said:
This was my Facebook status today last year:

Corn in the Chutes, Slush bumps on Cow Camp, Cherry Blossoms and Wattles blooming in Merrijig, Bogong Moths hitting the windscreen on a deserted road home, it must be Spring. Love it!

cry.gif

Perfect Spring skiing right there!

PG said:
miss_b_haven said:
smile.gif

I got my 'fix' at Hotham in the middle of August so I wasn't fussed about not getting turns in on the weekend.

Well done for that at least.
thumbsup.gif

For me, I'm in mourning for a skiless winter.
frown.gif

Snorkler said:
I got my fix in February, so I wasn't fussed missing out.
laugh.gif

Well yeah, I got mine in January too. But after that, Greedy-me just wanted moremoremore.

But that's OK - the savings on the roughly 7 days I'd anticipated skiing at Buller this season - that didn't get skied - will easily get me 2 weeks up north.
smile.gif

Now, it's just the airfare. . .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass