kimberlee81 said:
Bring on the Sawmill Gondola!

bitch-please_o_308611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Snorkler said:
I hear the average depth was well over a metre at Buller??

Oh that.. Yes that was Mt Buller a week or so ago trying to make themselves sound like they had as much snow as the other resorts.

They were using the snow-making areas as a reference, while the other resorts were using natural depth.

It's Mt Buller, you should know they like to use misleading figures to confuse people

surferchris

Hard Yards
Apr 30, 2009
skidown said:
Snorkler said:

Oh that.. Yes that was Mt Buller a week or so ago trying to make themselves sound like they had as much snow as the other resorts.

They were using the snow-making areas as a reference, while the other resorts were using natural depth.

It's Mt Buller, you should know they like to use misleading figures to confuse people

I notice the natural average base today for Buller is still at 94 cm which is what they were reporting yesterday, but falls and Hotham report a lost of about 5 cm from yesterday. Buller needs to start been honest with there customers.

Buller better @ talking bulls*it

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Well, I actually had a ski at Buller yesterday. Things are looking ugly at work, so this might be my last chance for quite a while.

I drove up on Sunday night, left about 6.30pm, arrived Merrijig 9.10pm with a fuel stop and Maccas on the way. I have to say that I have never ever seen traffic like the convoy of cars returning from Buller. From Victoria Road all the way to almost Yea, there were so many cars I couldn't believe it.

When I arrived at Buller at about 8.00am yesterday morning, the guy at Northside / Horse Hill said it was completely manic on Sunday, car parks full, road closed etc. Explains the traffic coming back.

Just on the B-Tag issue, I ordered mine online a couple of weeks ago and asked that it be mailed out. It arrived two days later. Then on Saturday morning, I loaded a day pass and had no problems at all getting on Horse Hill. So luckily for me, it worked a treat.

As to the conditions, one of the reasons I went up is that I anticipated a bluebird day. However, on the drive up there was very light snow falling from White Bridge. By the time I was at the top of Horse Hill, it was sunny with a few clouds.

ED05A4AC-8092-4066-AC6A-1B4949D027CA-2091-000002093E182A76.jpg

I did a couple of warm up runs on Burnt Hut, where snow had been made the night before. Good cover there obviously.

I then went over to Grimus and skied Summit Slide. Nice snow up high, but already getting very thin down low. Crowds on the weekend had taking their toll. I then skied the top part of Hut Run, but that is only open to about half way.

Then it was a couple of Summit loops down to Howqua. Good cover there.

Can't remember exactly where I went next, but I think it was Mens Downhill (icy) and Yurrelda (not as icy). Decent cover. Looking down Rough Cut from the base of Southside was not pretty though.

By that stage I was hungry, so off to Koflers for a hot dog and apple pie. Delicious as always. And it was clear and sunny at that stage.

18077848-67C9-4BA4-926B-DC37E1148802-2091-0000020957D068D4.jpg

I then went over to Skyline and Standard for a while. Sadly the Bull Run bowl doesn't have great cover yet. Sun Valley was ok up high, but it was all pretty sketchy.
0A78FC55-99CA-4AE6-A17C-41F382D8EA60-2091-000002094C040CCE.jpg

Then I had my second hot dog at Koflers! By that stage, it was basically a white out and stayed like that for most of the day.
CB796AD9-7D30-4C9B-AF44-48676C14A1FE-2091-0000020963227A9A.jpg

Other runs I did were Boomerang and Chute (probably the best snow all day!), and the top half of Robins (ok, not great). I also went over to Shakey Knees (good cover) and Tirol (getting thin).

Lift queues were non-existent all day. Longest I waited was about 30 seconds on Holden. I only

All in all, I had a ball. But it is going to take A LOT of snow to make the non-snowmaking areas decent.

Finished off with an easy 3 hour trip home.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
surferchris said:
I notice the natural average base today for Buller is still at 94 cm which is what they were reporting yesterday, but falls and Hotham report a lost of about 5 cm from yesterday. Buller needs to start been honest with there customers.

Buller better @ talking bulls*it

Yep Buller has had several times this year where snowdepth would fall by 5-10cms at other resorts and not change at all at Buller...

However, Buller measure from 4 locations and average it out others only 1 I think....

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
absentskier said:
Well, I actually had a ski at Buller yesterday. Things are looking ugly at work, so this might be my last chance for quite a while.

I drove up on Sunday night, left about 6.30pm, arrived Merrijig 9.10pm with a fuel stop and Maccas on the way. I have to say that I have never ever seen traffic like the convoy of cars returning from Buller. From Victoria Road all the way to almost Yea, there were so many cars I couldn't believe it.

When I arrived at Buller at about 8.00am yesterday morning, the guy at Northside / Horse Hill said it was completely manic on Sunday, car parks full, road closed etc. Explains the traffic coming back.

Just on the B-Tag issue, I ordered mine online a couple of weeks ago and asked that it be mailed out. It arrived two days later. Then on Saturday morning, I loaded a day pass and had no problems at all getting on Horse Hill. So luckily for me, it worked a treat.

As to the conditions, one of the reasons I went up is that I anticipated a bluebird day. However, on the drive up there was very light snow falling from White Bridge. By the time I was at the top of Horse Hill, it was sunny with a few clouds.

ED05A4AC-8092-4066-AC6A-1B4949D027CA-2091-000002093E182A76.jpg

I did a couple of warm up runs on Burnt Hut, where snow had been made the night before. Good cover there obviously.

I then went over to Grimus and skied Summit Slide. Nice snow up high, but already getting very thin down low. Crowds on the weekend had taking their toll. I then skied the top part of Hut Run, but that is only open to about half way.

Then it was a couple of Summit loops down to Howqua. Good cover there.

Can't remember exactly where I went next, but I think it was Mens Downhill (icy) and Yurrelda (not as icy). Decent cover. Looking down Rough Cut from the base of Southside was not pretty though.

By that stage I was hungry, so off to Koflers for a hot dog and apple pie. Delicious as always. And it was clear and sunny at that stage.

Other runs I did were Boomerang and Chute (probably the best snow all day!), and the top half of Robins (ok, not great). I also went over to Shakey Knees (good cover) and Tirol (getting thin).

Lift queues were non-existent all day. Longest I waited was about 30 seconds on Holden. I only

All in all, I had a ball. But it is going to take A LOT of snow to make the non-snowmaking areas decent.

Finished off with an easy 3 hour trip home.
Good honest report.
To Hotham for me this weekend if off-piste is still as described at buller.
This cominf fall should hopefully set Buller up well.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
absentskier - Great report thank you!!!!!

I do find it a little hard to believe 94cms with Bull Run bowl still not being skiable..

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
skidown said:

I do find it a little hard to believe 94cms with Bull Run bowl still not being skiable..
Snow level has been high this year at Buller. The rain on BK St days have been snow around the summit according to the Lift Ops Manager

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Snorkler said:

Average of snow making and natural.

Yesterday.

PGsnowdepth.jpg

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
The Plowking said:
skidown said:

Snow level has been high this year at Buller. The rain on BK St days have been snow around the summit according to the Lift Ops Manager
Makes sense. Photos in that report and from the weekend suggest the top of Sun Valley/Hogg's Back is skiing well. No doubt the bottom third is turning into a bit of a bushwack.

kasto

First Runs
Nov 8, 2006
Melbourne
This was my first trip to buller this season and its been a long time since i've posted so i thought i would add some photos from saturday:

MEBULLERCLIFF190812.png

photo.png

photo2.png

photo3.png

Darksidepoints

Hard Yards
Apr 21, 2009
Winter
VSG said:
At Perisher they have staff with a tablet computer looking thingy on a harness in front of them, with a pen/stylus to operate I think. To sort out RFID issues. And many helpful staff at the scanning gate to help the noobies and confused.

The tablet rockers are there, usually two on a Saturday morning at BB.

This weekend, what a zoo. No further comments.

I'm glad to see someone came up Monday and had a good experience, the HH staff have all been traumatised due to massive crowds in that area and getting a lot of abuse from people.

kasto

First Runs
Nov 8, 2006
Melbourne
I had a terrible drive up though!! I hit a roo just after the Eildon turnoff! The worst part is my poor subby only got out of the panel shop exactly a week earlier
frown.gif

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
I hit one on an unposted section of the Hotham to Omeo road, years back, at Cobungra. They put signs up a few months later, but just it hopped up onto the road from a completely blind area near a culvert. Very close to a write-off - and the roo just hopped away into the night!

kasto

First Runs
Nov 8, 2006
Melbourne
The roo i hit certainly didn't run off!! I hit it at 100kmh and didnt even see it coming as it was still dark! Surprisingly only the bumber, grille and impact bar are damaged. Thankfully the impact bar stopped just before piercing the radiator.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
kimberlee81 said:
Very close to a write-off - and the roo just hopped away into the night!

What were you driving - a paper mache billy cart??

o_0

Doo

Hard Yards
May 20, 2003
Melbourne
Doo said:
djam said:
VSG said:
Surely there is a bit of tech where the premises owner could be given a remote login, to cycle the power? There are consumer items now where you can remotely shut down powerpoints, with a cordless remote. The next step would be to hook that up to the internetty?

yep there are, all it takes is money, PP has already spent plenty.

Or the cheap low tech option

assume that the freeze problem will happen from time to time - so install one of those cheapish GPO outlet timers and program it to have the power on for 23 hours 59 minutes each day.

e.g power off at 1 AM and on at 1:01 AM

bump! (get one with a battery backup!)

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
luvthabumps said:
Sorry folks VS cam has locked up again. I'm not up there until Sat morning so if you want to see the storm accumulation someone's going to have to get on the balcony and reboot the power. We seem to have a problem with it hanging whenever there is a power failure.

I'll see if I can get someone in our building to do it but no guarantees.

Piss poor effort mate.

sent someone out on the balcony to repower but doesn't appear to have worked. She said the power was off(which doesn't make any sense) and so she had turned it on but maybe the light was fading and she's just turned it off altogether. I'll see if she can have another go tomorrow before the fun starts.

oh and Verm...........
tongue.gif

001.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass