2013 Buller Season Pass Speculation Thread

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Whether they have or haven't makes no difference to my day, but it would surprise me if they have conducted no analysis on this whatsoever. It's pretty naive to think they have been completely oblivious to the '$699' all around them.

scullee

Resident Hobbit
Jun 10, 1999
Hobbiton
Snorkler said:
Studying Visitor Days[/url] Studying Visitor days is quite an interesting affair.

Analysing on only that basis is also a little flawed, It doesnt take into account revenue per skier day.

Cheap seasons passes have the added risk of biting you in two ways, the first is that some of these people will be spending less over the season than they would have eg they may have purchased 8-10 single day passes totalling $1000 they would probably now pay $699 for a seasons pass. The other way it bites you is the extra "free" days these skiers will probably do. Loads of my friends with season passes did extra days they normally wouldnt do "cos its free", these extra days have a cost but no revenue. Is it better to have 1000 customers at $500 or 500 customers at $1000?

Having extra skier days isnt a good thing if they are not also associated with extra revenue. Just like having data to analyse isnt a good thing without the entire picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
scullee said:
Snorkler said:
Loads of my friends with season passes did extra days they normally wouldnt do "cos its free", these extra days have a cost but no revenue. Is it better to have 1000 customers at $500 or 500 customers at $1000?

If you own the hotels, bars etc, and offer value and hopefully have terrain for sp holders, those 'cos its free' skiers fill the coffers in other ways. get them back 'for free' ...and they're poorer and the resort is richer. And you'll probably find a supply chain all the way from thornbury that cuts costs and supplies 'everything' for resale to maximize every conceivable cent. they're not a charity.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
scullee said:
Snorkler said:
Studying Visitor Days[/url] Studying Visitor days is quite an interesting affair.

Analysing on only that basis is also a little flawed, It doesnt take into account revenue per skier day.

Cheap seasons passes have the added risk of biting you in two ways, the first is that some of these people will be spending less over the season than they would have eg they may have purchased 8-10 single day passes totalling $1000 they would probably now pay $699 for a seasons pass. The other way it bites you is the extra "free" days these skiers will probably do. Loads of my friends with season passes did extra days they normally wouldnt do "cos its free", these extra days have a cost but no revenue. Is it better to have 1000 customers at $500 or 500 customers at $1000?

You are quite correct in that there will be people who will be better off because they aren't spending as much on single day passes. Unfortunately we don't have a way of determining Unique Visitors and thus if there is an increase in number of days spent up there.

Secondly, if you plot a graph of amount spent on passes vs the number of people, you would find a logarithmic pattern, much like the Perato principle. Whilst there are people above the threshold who get cheaper passes, and thus the grpah comes down above that price point, you'll also get people going up on the other side who see it as value and thus tip over to that point as well. Plot the area under the graph and you should find a larger area (ie more revenue).

That all said.... what is noticeable but not mentioned in the piece is the average time spent on mountain which didn't vary all that much, this suggest one of two things happening, increase in the number of unique visitors or an increase in the number of trips made to the mountain by the same people.

Madski

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2002
Agree i feel sorry for all the non BSL businesses.

I hope BSL and RMB sooner rather than later install the infrastructure needed to increase the snow making capacity on the mountain.

What date last year did Buller release SP prices on last year?

vet

One of Us
Dec 8, 2009
www.angliss.edu.au
Madski said:
Agree i feel sorry for all the non BSL businesses.

I hope BSL and RMB sooner rather than later install the infrastructure needed to increase the snow making capacity on the mountain.

What date last year did Buller release SP prices on last year?

Around 3 October. Iirc, there was a big spike in sales of Hero Passes from 3-7 October which was when the Hero Pass price 'stopped'.

Regarding snowmaking, season pass holders and ratepayers will probably want to see dark blue terrain getting the goods, but where does the Masterplan propose adding snowmaking? Light Green areas I suspect.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Maybe that's the delay with the SP announcement?

Given it's going to be further bad news with the SP pricing they will need to 'shit sandwich' it with other announcements on spending, so they could well be working on their capital improvements so it can all be announced together.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
CarveMan said:
In terms of snowmaking, as fas as I can determine, Standard/Wood Run is imminent.

It will guarantee some of the best terrain on the mountain is open longer.
smile.gif

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
CarveMan said:
Maybe that's the delay with the SP announcement?

Given it's going to be further bad news with the SP pricing they will need to 'shit sandwich' it with other announcements on spending, so they could well be working on their capital improvements so it can all be announced together.

I wonder if the four major resorts (Hoth/FC, Buller, Thred, Perish) compare notes, prior to releasing season pass pricing and conditions?

#justsayin

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
VSG said:
I wonder if the four major resorts (Hoth/FC, Buller, Thred, Perish) compare notes, prior to releasing season pass pricing and conditions?

#justsayin

WTF ?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I've been in a conversation with one of the resorts where they say it's like a game of chicken waiting on announcing ticket prices - everybody wants the others to go first. Based on that I'm comfortable there is no collusion. Except of course Hotham/Falls as they have the same owners!

sfo

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2009
anywhere there's snow
There's knowing and then there's knowing that the car up front is about to have a skiaster.

With that in mind, P,H&FC were ready to roll out reciprocal deals with Mammoth and Japan, and buddy passes etc, whereas Buller flustered with Corcheval (which came thru) and 2 US Resorts that didn't come through as far as I recall). I'd say a lot of people use the same data and 'knew' they'd better try something like a $699 pass

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass