1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2014 BC Conditions

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Untele-whippet, Jun 22, 2014.

1. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

definitely not......make the call on the way back

Rimey likes this.
  2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Friend here does MSF work and is about to head to Liberia for a stint. Told him he's not coming anywhere near us for months after he gets back.

Warning for saturday night. Brian Wilson is cooking hotdogs. Apparently he gets off watching other blokes placing penis shaped objects in their mouths.

3. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

They're doing frankfurters ... little boys ;)
    Hope he's easy on the special sauce.

4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Should be a fun night!

5. chokenchickin

chokenchickin One of Us

Still a little bit of snow on Feathertop.

Had a run off North Feathertop:
    [​IMG]

Walked up from the bottom of that run to the ridgeline where the pic was taken from and dropped into the gully on the southern side, that got me to below the junction of Avi Gully (I think..):
    [​IMG]

Walked up another chute that was skiable almost from the top of the ridge. Bit of a maze in there.

[​IMG]

Runs on the Southern side skied (no idea of any of the names..):
    [​IMG]
    The Blue coloured run ended up being no where near as steep as I thought it was going to be. The red one was somewhat steeper and had an uneven surface that sometimes knocked you off balance at the end of each turn.

It took me almost twice as long as Boodwah's time to get along the razorback. I don't know how he does it. Fit man.Tried jogging for all of the first 15 mins, then dropped back to my usual steady plod. No sign of Ebola, nor little boys down the gullies.

Ziggy, piolet, Majikthise and 4 others like this.
  6. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nice work CC, we should get together next year and map out all those chutes. I dont imagine they have names. Must admit that having eyed off that blue one for a while, I was too chicken to ski it solo, mostly for the entry and exits. Love the first shot - shows just how much we will milk an Oz end of season drift (after having navigated the first 12 km just to get there!). I skied that SE drift last year on Melb Cup WE, but its been meltier this year.

7. weerab

weerab One of Us

[QUOTE="Snow Blowey, post: 2429112, member:

Warning for saturday night. Brian Wilson is cooking hotdogs. Apparently he gets off watching other blokes placing penis shaped objects in their mouths.[/QUOTE]

Wish,you,would keep,this puerile shit to yourself, I thought this was a family forum after all.

8. chokenchickin

chokenchickin One of Us

It would be good to catch up with you next season Boodwah to ski Feathertop. I would probably need a two hour head start so that I wouldn't slow you down too much! That blue coloured gully I had wanted to ski for a long time, but avoided it as I thought that it might be a bit steep. But with nice spring snow, it was a relaxing ski. I could not believe how far it descended (until I started walking out...). I wanted to ski the gully between the marked red and blue gullies but got confused and skied the red one instead. I nearly got the Darwin award yesterday. After my final climb out, I reached the ridgeline and changed from ski boot/crampons to hiking boots for the walk home. I was walking along the ridge to regain the Feathertop summit, and kept looking over the edge to check out what was below. Above one really steep narrow chute I slipped on some wet vegetation and started sliding rapidly into a steep chute. Managed to grab some scrub/rocks to stop myself just as I hit the snow. Almost a human toboggan...

The Plowking likes this.
  9. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Still some snow out back, pics taken 11 October 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chokenchickin and Majikthise like this.
  10. RichT

RichT First Runs

skifree, thanks for the photo updates. I'm planning on dropping by Charlotte Pass this Wednesday for a short 5-10km tour but have never skied from the Pass before, only Dead Horse. Any chance you, or anyone else, could help me out with a few questions please?

Roughly how far do you have to walk to get to skiable snow from the turning circle at the moment? It's getting cold again so hopefully it won't change much in the next few days. Can I park at the turning circle or do I need to leave the car somewhere else?

Do you have to cross the Snowy (and if so where/what's the crossing like?) or are there alternative routes at the moment that don't require getting wet?

I'd like to head over to Blue Lake to check out the rock climbing (and ice for next year), then Club Lake, and back down the Snowy catchment to the car - would that be a viable tour at the moment or have I left it too late in the year?

Thanks a lot!
    Rich

11. Mercyrx3

Mercyrx3 Hard Yards

I went for a hike yesterday. A bit less now!
    [​IMG]

chokenchickin likes this.
  12. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Check out @sbm 's trip report from the long weekend. Most of your questions are answered there.

13. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

At the moment you'll be walking for about 1 to 1.5 hours before hitting the snow at Soil Con Ck at Blue Lake. You can tour from there to Club Lake with a similar walk back to CP. Certainly a doable day depending on what the weather throws at you.

14. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah the walking killed my back with the split on the back!! Had to bail on the bigger plans of Brian Wilson and co, still managed Little Austria (bit too firm at 1030 drop), NE Lee (almost too soft corn at 1130) and Clubbie (probably done every line other than Elevator, not any more :), best snow of the day with a 1300 drop).
    Thankfully for everyone there'll be no footage of me coming out this week ;) :)

15. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

Ummm, and I thought I struggled over the last few days. Glad to see others with much more experience and lighter gear did it tough too. I had big plans Thursday to make it to the Avalanche Face but ended up dropping Mt.Lee once, the steeper nth east face of Northcote (which I found strange to see still holding so much snow) once and a couple of nice sneaky drainage gullies down the south side of Northcote. All up I calculated about 900m vert. Then mostly hiking back, I think I managed another 100m of vert near the Tors down below Mt.Clarke and falling into a couple of massive sink holes and a wet boot crossing of the snowy saw me eventually at the Charlottes turn around at 7.00pm!

Friday, with many aching parts and still wet boot inners I spent the day sitting beside Lake Jindy trying to catch a trout but to no avail. Its alright because the few boats that cruised past all reported the fish to be sleeping at the bottom too!

Saturday I rode the Kosi Chair and boot packed out to the Ramshead to recon the area with little snow after having skiied The Couloir in August. I marvelled at the steepness of the gully/chute at the top of The Corrie with no snow and then skiied down the south side of the Ramshead to just below the Southerly Ramshead and then marvelled at the steepness of the gully/chute at the top of the Golden Gully with no snow. This is when I found the love and had four very tasty runs down the Southerly Ramshead valley to Bogong Creek (never saw another soul) and was amazed at how much snow this valley was still holding from up very high to down to the creek. Finished with missing the last Kosi Chair and boot packing down the grass super trail which was a 1st! TRIP REPORT WITH PHOTOS AND VIDEO TO COME. :cheers:

16. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

How was the cover on Little Austria? Was eyeing it off on Saturday but someone told me there were some big drops opening up into the creek?

17. Belly

Fine - The Gimp, Scrap & I just dropped the standard south facing aspect and stayed pretty high, the drainage was almost fully covered for an easy(ish) skin out. As long as you stay above that steepish face on skiers right it's fine.

jonathanc likes this.
  18. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

cheers - it might be looking good this weekend...

Ozgirl likes this.
  19. nthnbeachesguy

nthnbeachesguy Hard Yards

Went out with the girlfriend over the weekend, took a quick vid of the first line down Carruthers. Only the second time I've been out there but enjoyed it a lot, did Carruthers, Little Austria, Mt Lee and then the Eastern side of Carruthers back down to our campsite.

I have a lot more pics if anyone wants to see them I'll post them up, just let me know.

20. Belly

I think you were heading up for your Carruthers east face run as I popped down from my clubbie run and had a break at the head of the snowy ;) - nice work!!

21. Majikthise

you can never post too many pics...

22. nthnbeachesguy

Did you have a yellow tent down near the creek? We headed up the south east face along the side of the depression that I was going to camp in two years ago with a mate till we freaked out about getting avalanched while we slept. Got back to our tent a bit after 2:30pm I think from memory. I could probably have done another run down Carruthers but the girlfriend was pretty tired, she did well as she's been dealing with a slipped disc so we chilled out for a bit and decided to head back to Jindy for a nice comfy bed at the caravan park.

23. nthnbeachesguy

Some more pics.

Crossing the creeks
    [​IMG]

Heading up E side of Carruthers area
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning, me outside the 14 yr old Kmart tent, I won't mention the unPC nickname it acquired due to the incredibly close quarters one is required to keep with the other occupant of this so called two man tent. On this occasion it was me and the girlfriend sharing so the sleeping proximity wasn't a problem!
    [​IMG]

Top of Carruthers looking down to CLub Lake
    [​IMG]

I think this is whats the top of Little Austria with The Sentinel and Watsons Crags in the background, does that look about right?
    [​IMG]

Looking down the top of Little Austria
    [​IMG]

Halfway down, walking out of this was hard.
    [​IMG]

Lunch down the bottom
    [​IMG]

Was pretty warm so I decided to have a snowbake.
    [​IMG]

This is probably my favourite frame grab from the trip
    [​IMG]

sara777, Sydlouise, DJM and 4 others like this.
  24. Majikthise

More mobc calendar content xlnt

NewTurns and Snow Blowey like this.
  25. nthnbeachesguy

I kept the really racy stuff in the private collection in case I ever want to ruin my life and run for office lol.

Sydlouise and Ozgirl like this.
  26. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Saw you guys take off from camp as the gaggle came out from CP and then again as you topped out on the ridge coming up from Clubby. That board and jacket could be seen in a snowstorm

Ozgirl likes this.
  27. Belly

Nah I was day tripping nthnbeaches

28. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

nice tour NBG !

yesterday ~
    [​IMG]

29. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

30. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing is too PC in this joint!

sara777 likes this.
  31. nthnbeachesguy

I think I've told you and Dylan previously what the nickname for the tent is Oz!

32. Ozgirl

i know it which is why I am saying you can share it here!

33. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Friday sigga, sat snigga snigga

34. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

jesus and i thought i took a lot of gear. is your main pack just really small?

[​IMG]

35. Ozgirl

haha my thoughts exactly when I saw the pic.

Suspect since the GF has back issue he took the bulk of the gear.

36. nthnbeachesguy

Not a seasoned snow hiker/camper so need a little more experience witu what to take anf how to best pack. The kmart tent AKA the fagdome (for you Oz ha ha) isnt small or light so took up a fair portion of the 75L pack I bought.i had prepacked 2days of food in the bottom slot, two thermarests, billy and propane burner and 400gram canister of propane. I then strapped my snowboard to the pack and then strapped a 40L travis rice backpack to the board with snowboard jacket, pants, towel, two tshirts and socks. Therrs a bunch of other stuff im forgetting but I think up and go's, small long life milk poppers and 4 cc and dry cans didnt help either. Tye girlfriend had her clothes, sleeping bag and both foam rolls in hers.

37. Greybeard

Greybeard Addicted

TWO tshirts and towel - the downside of going with your girlfriend.

38. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good work mate, love to see people loading up and bonus points for getting out with the missus.
    If you cant fit all your gear in...get a larger pack.

NewTurns likes this.
  39. Ozgirl

I debated both of these in my head...

40. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Kitchen sink points ;)

41. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Colder = longer in the one outfit.

I just did a week but no intimacy was involved.

42. nthnbeachesguy

I have a massive outerwear purchasing problem, I have 5 jackets and 5 sets of pants and will probably add to that I the US next year. I guess on the plus side if I get into trouble out there I can just wave my board around to attract attention!

43. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Struggling to work out why people are going boots off for the crossing. Do em up tight and get into it. They will stay water tight to around 10cm under water. If they get wet no difference to the sweat thats about to form in them on the slog out. Much better than going bare foot IMO.

44. nthnbeachesguy

I reckon a better lighter tent wouldn't go astray, the propane and burner I liked for a hot pasta meal at night so would keep that. Wouldn't take the second pack again though, probably have the amount of up and go's I took but will keep the cc and dry. Clothes might be restricted to what's on my back and a pair of thermals for sleeping. I had a thermarest and a yoga style mat for sleeping, do u really need both, I'm just going off what my mate I went with first time told me.

The towel was handy after the creek dip, not sure a hiking "towel" would be quite so good. Few other things I might change as well I spose, might go back this Friday and test out some changes.

45. nthnbeachesguy

My boots were totally dry after Saturday, would much prefer to go boots off for the crossing. I walked all the way down from the turning circle in bare feet no dramas. The first time I went out I wore them on the way back and even just the hill up to the turning circle sucked in wet boots.

jonathanc likes this.
  46. firstlight

firstlight Addicted

I can you show you how to get all you need into a 37lt pack for a couple of days (solo). This include a tent and cooker with some mod cons too.
    [​IMG]

The best I've seen is Kyle Miller's pack size on 15 day traverse. Insane what he gets away with in a 42lt pack.
    Just ask

Cheers

NewTurns and sara777 like this.
  47. Ozgirl

Will you stay out Friday night? Am pretty sure we are heading down Friday. Day trip on Saturday night.

48. Ozgirl

Just realised I will see you tonight so, we can chat then!

49. Majikthise

Diving booties, light compact comfortable and double as camp booties. For a day trip I wear my sandals until the boots go on for skiing...no need for a towel the feet will dry and warm up quick enough.

50. Ozgirl

great idea about the booties.

Am pretty sure he went for a complete dip - so can understand the towel, but for weight reasons i wouldn't go for the dip then don't need the towel (yeah thats what i tell myself... weight reason nothing about the bloody cold water!)!. I should embarrass him and share the wolverine pic from a couple of weeks ago in the river at Perisher.