1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Falls Creek Snow discussions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Amelia1810, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Mod's Note: As per Ian's request, please post chatter about this year's snow falls here. The sticky thread at the top is for Snow Reports (with pics) and Observations - it is mined automatically by the forum software to display as forum users' snow report. Over time, mods will transfer chatter type posts from the Snow Report thread to here.

Today I commenced taking daily screenshots of some cams around Falls. Come the end of season I am going to compile them into a .gif to see how the season progressed. My observations are in the making...

Also, look forward to my trip report when I go in July! Planning on taking a lot of photos and GoPro videos.

2. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds great, Amelia - let's hope your .gif is more white than green!!

3. Dr_Phil

Dr_Phil Hard Yards

Sounds great, it would be great at the end of the season seeing how Summit changed compared to Towers.

4. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Looks like Falls completely missed out on the system just passed? Bugger.

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

patience grasshopper. it's only June.

6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Same old story with cut off lows - 80% time they either drop rain in Vic hills or turn cold and dry while dumping in NSW. :confused:

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Arlo to all in Falls Ck.......

Can somebody tell me if Rd24 from Howmans Gap is still open past McKay Portal and over Ruined Castle/Mt Mckay Saddle and down to Pretty Valley....
    And is Pretty Valley Rd from BHP Rd open from near Dam under tows/thro down hill runs to Ruined Castle??
    Is BHP RD locked actually padlocked on Dam Wall so all access around Rocky Valley to Cope Hut is now restricted???

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

Call RMB on 57581200

9. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Received confirmation this morning that the cam atop Gebi's has failed completely. No more images from that cam until further notice. We have removed those images from the cam navigation.

kirk_lazarus and Untele-whippet like this.
  10. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Fatal cam sorrow at lack of snow?

:(

11. Aradica

Aradica Early Days

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Going by the "Chair-o-meter" the snow is still very wet and sticky but it's been a long long time since I saw powder snow at Falls, I'd like to see another 1981 before I die

13. currawong

At this time of the season quantity > quality. Just get some cover down. Wet snow makes a good base.

BTW I've seen some pretty fine dry snow at Falls as recently as last season

14. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Are freezing temperatures likely all day over the next week or so??
    The ground was pretty wet over the last few weeks

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Looking forward to a few more cold days/nights for snow making opportunities. Although we have had better starts to the season, I have been at FC for school holidays for many years - it buckets down either the week before or the first week of the hols. 2 seasons ago we were bussed between lifts or walked.

16. Aradica

Aradica Early Days

We have 2 more cold fronts on the way with Mountainwatch predicting 60cm+ this weekend! Hopefully there should be heaps of snow for the 13th of July!

17. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Its very likely all of the south side will have an average 1m base or more by this time next week. Another 50cm is likely over the weekend, and its going to be very cold next week so the guns will be going too.

Unless there is a monsoon, 13th July will be great!

18. Aradica

Aradica Early Days

So would we be looking for all the lifts/tows and runs to be operating by July or at least most of them to be open with the odd few that are closed?

19. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Having been going to Falls for more years than I will admit to, something I've been thinking about for a while. TBH I rarely bother unless Summit and Inter are running and my trips over the other side are infrequent. With the introduction of the new card with scanning system I'm interested in data which shows what percentage of punters are using which part of what I've considered for some time to be basically two seperate ski areas linked by a slow and time consuming link up via snow covered roads. With lack of infrastructure spending for many years for the Summit/Bowl areas, is it a fair assumption that these areas are low priority because of lack of numbers? Just asking.

20. currawong

IMHO the lift company put a fair bit of priority on getting Summit open for marketing reasons. They are then pretty diligent about grooming Village, Apres Vous, Slot and Oest Wand and even making a bit of snow to patch up bare spots near the race line.

They are often slow to get inter running. they usually say that this is because of how much effort, and snow, is needed to make the tow track. I sometimes think that they are also delaying for financial reasons. That said, once it is open they try to keep it open, even when the runs are unskiable by all but the desperate. This is so that ski patrol can easily get akjas back up to top of summit. Grooming around inter has been less diligent in recent years. Inter itself is usually done. Grand Coeur is not groomed often enough. Wishing Well is about the only thing in the maze that gets groomed with any frequency. I know they need good cover to groom, but I still think they should do better. Once a week is good to keep moguls and ruts from getting too unfriendly IMHO.

I don't how much data they get on what you are asking. There are no scanners over the back, only express, eagle, summit and handheld on inter.

it's sad that the runs they cut a long time ago parallel to Eagle were not maintained. There was even snowmaking on Eagle Rock. Adrenalin & Stilletto were black runs between Eagler Rock. and the Ys.

I'm not sure what infrastructure you would like to see improved on summit - other than snowmaking. AIUI the decision to hand scan on inter is based on the typical number of days it can open, not on popularity. Personally I would prefer to see more done on summer grooming ,and winter grooming, on summit & inter rather than investment in infrastructure.

my pipedream for the area is a detach chair from bottom of gully that overlaps a chair on summit so you can easily ski from one to the other but walkers are still catered for. not holding my breath.

21. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Indeed. Summer grooming on the summit would allow it to open with much less snow.

22. gettingtooold

Thanks Curra for your thoughts. Your pipedream is the same as mine and has been for years. (It would make my favourite areas more busy 'though) I think Falls has sadly neglected the original hub of the resort for too long. The Village bowl area seems so underdone to me. Can't even buy a day pass now the ticket office shut without a further walk. With regard to the Gully chair, Aaaarghhh.

23. soza

soza One of Us

was quite nice up at falls today. Arrived in time for the first lift as snow was still falling in the village. only towers and express running but they have done a great job of getting a decent solid base on the main runs fed by these lifts. Added bonus was the fresh stuff this morning and with only about 50 of us (mostly staff n locals) it was fresh tracks and powder pockets until i left at 1300 to do the school pick up.
    Had to put chains on at the toll gate...felt more like late July/Aug with snow right down past Bogong village.
    Visibility was good...as in you could see the lake from top of main street and not much wind.
    Snow flakes turned a bit sleety by 1000 and the sun almost broke through at times....was quite a blissful, mellow morning boarding....looking forward to another great season.
    Oh and last/fast hoot was just that...like been back in Japan!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stratus likes this.
  24. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I remember fondly the Adrenalin and Stilletto black runs near to the Eagle lift.

Another run to 'close' recently was the short blue run named Bypass (or was the name Underpass ?) , which roughly paralleled the Shortcut run through the trees between Eagle and FC express. I can only speculate there must have been safety issues (read collisions) at the bottom end of Bypass, which formed a junction with Shortcut and Broadway.

There was also the 'Surprise' run in the same vicinity

No great loss to skiers, but yet another trail disappearing from the map

25. gettingtooold

Used to do a lot of runs around the Y's and down the Eagle area. Can't get near it now.

26. currawong

Ys is still good on the right day

and Bypass was closed for safety reasons, pity.

we also lost another nice little section near Bypass quite a few years ago, and the tank trail. they are now skidoo only

27. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

They closed the tank trail ??

Is that the one used by skiers to ski into the back door of Shusski ??

28. currawong

Tank trail went from the junction to the tanks. Broadway still does. Then orry's trail goes down to the acquaduct and parallel st and schuss st. So I don't think that tank not being there makes any difference to getting to any lodge. Maybe you are thinking of the little extension to parallel st that comes down from the acquaduct near last hoot.
    It's quite a long time since they closed tank, over a decade.

main street likes this.
  29. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My aunt used to own a flat at Schusski. I have such great memories of Falls. Haven't been there for 20 years.

main street likes this.
  30. middy

middy Hard Yards

Ski'd falls for first time last year after moving from NSW Thredbo/Perisher, so not too in the know with what the need numbers wise for runs and lifts:

Whats the average depth and quality before summit and international can open in particular some of the 'blacks' to the left of international? Would we be on the mark with next snow fall + grooming if it's as predicted?

31. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Middy, i would be rather hopeful of summit opening after this weekend. Inter a maybe.
    Hully probably has the best idea given his knowledge of the mountain and he's actually there.....

32. Stratus

Stratus A Local

If this weekends system delivers we will certainly see the Summit open early next week.

I wouldn't hold my breath with International lift , they usually take a while to get that one spinning.

33. currawong

summit needs about 70 to be much good, but that's packed not fresh.

the main groomed runs on inter don't need much more and often they are open for skiing (using gully + summit) before the poma is running. it takes a fair bit of snow to build the poma track and it's not usually a high priority - or so it seems to me.

IMHO the maze needs 1.5 metres to be good, 1m to be doable.

34. Hully

Hully One of Us

I would be calling Summit for early next week if the forecast snow eventuates, particularly if it North Westerly and loads the bowl....it is an important press release for the Marketing team when it opens and gets locals off the Lift Co's back ;). IMHO the perceived reluctance to open International Poma is a little overstated. It also has great press release status as it gives a definite 'Falls is open for business and has great coverage' message. It does take a bit of work to get the track right if the snow depth isn't there and when it is too low it creates a significant safety risk for small/light riders and also greatly increases risk and incidence of derails. She's an old but much loved piece of kit. If it is running well, minimum derails which is probably the main breakdown, it is not too costly to run....one towie and a ticket checker.

35. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Iconic, if i recall correctly.

36. currawong

actually just saw this that I missed earlier

37. middy

middy Hard Yards

Sweet. Looking at going next weekend so fingers crossed we get a nice top up on that base

38. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Recent changes.

There's also a guy stationed at the top of the poma during operation now. Same with Lakeside, now they have staff attendance at the unload.

39. currawong

Interesting. So few people stay on inter to the top. Most get off above the corner or near the maze entry. Not sure what they achieve by putting someone at the top

40. Karicta

Summit to open tomorrow

:woohoo:

OzSkier and currawong like this.
  41. currawong

not till 1pm though according to the notice I've seen

but :woohoo: anyway

and

OzSkier and Auska like this.
  42. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Ohh, International announcement.

I dare say they'll at least get LakeSide going soon for the school holidays.

Praying for lots more snow still to come!

43. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

If they open Lakeside all of the advanced areas over the back will be open :woohoo:

How has St Elmos been with all the recent snow? Looking to go out wide as well if the cover's OK.

44. Nordic Skier

Nordic Skier Hard Yards

BHP road is locked on the Falls Creek end and was locked on the arvo of day before the first snowfall. (Got a nice message left on the windscreen by FCManagement as our car was parked at Watchbed on 22 June 2014.

45. Hully

Hully One of Us

International on Tuesday!!!

46. middy

middy Hard Yards

Anyone skied out out past jigsaw/roller/wishing well? Are they even open / decent cover?
    On a general note do Falls not have a trail status page? Can't seem to find it anywhere and so used to it with thredbo and perisher

47. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

I love it when International is open :D :thumbs:

48. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Do these areas even open without the International running?

49. middy

middy Hard Yards

Not sure, new to Falls after moving from NSW.
    I'm pretty sure last season thought I trecked over to these runs from Summit not just poma

50. Karicta

You can access all those runs from summit (or even by skating across the top from ruined). That doesn't mean they are open though and whilst I would never endorse ducking under ropes ;), this is particularly so for this area if you don't know it well. The cover can be variable, and....

In white out conditions even those that know the mountain very very well have been known to find themselves well and truly OOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.