1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Falls Creek Snow discussions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Amelia1810, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

How well does ski-in/out usually hold up? Looking great now but is it the first to go? So excited to be up there in 13 days! Everything is just looking great in my eyes.

2. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Amelia, provided the next two weather systems are snow and not r@in (which I strongly feel they will largely be), you will have ski in/out

3. BammBamm

BammBamm Hard Yards

Hey can someone reccomend where I can park my car a few nights at bottom of hill before resort entry. My mates will already be on the hill and are going to come down and pick me up to save paying double resort entry/parking.

Thanks!

4. Stratus

Stratus A Local

My mate parked his car just around the corner from the cop shop in Mt Beauty for 3 days.

5. BammBamm

BammBamm Hard Yards

Ok that might not be a bad idea. Is there any parking near the gate at howmans gap? Similar to Mirimbah at Buller, where staff etc park their cars for awhile and get a ride up the hill.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Apparently Inter will start spinning tomorrow (Tuesday) - great to see so early in the season. I agree Karicta, being caught out in Wishing Well in a white out in fresh pow was no fun.

7. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Not sure. @Hully would know.

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

The parking directly adjacent to the ticket box at Howman's is still within the resort boundary...eg Rd 24 is used for staff parking but they need to have a permit from RMB. Your best bet would be to park in the areas either side if the bridge over the East Kiewa.

9. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty sure this has been discussed before but am I right in saying that the Toboggan slope at Windy Corner is no more? Taking the niece and nephew up in early August for their first time on snow and wondering if tobogganing is an option?

10. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Toboggan slope is open.. Have toboggan in hand hired from windy corner and awaiting little people's arrival.

11. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Could be a bit busier today.. A small queue at the gates apparently.

12. mick chopps

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll be skiing so will get there early enough and organise the toboggan before buggering off up the hill. Mrs Chopps and her sister can deal with the Tin Lids.

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I used to park sometimes near gate/road to power station below Howmans Gap on big bend but may be too much snow. or better (as stated in other post) near East Kiewa River (narrow concrete bridge) big open area and authorities will leave you alone....In fact I would create a car park in snow with shovel right against/beside gate there but out of way...

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Not sure if anyone's aware of it but one of the staff at Attunga runs a daily video blog called 'Snowrise' - here's today's linky: Snowrise - Falls Creek

Lizzay, the host, plans to do a daily video of first tracks :)

15. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

I've been watching her videos since she started; love them. Didn't even think to share on here, oops! :)

16. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Sunday isn't too long of a wait now. Pretty darn excited! Can't to go for a slide... And multiple stacks.

17. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

what the cover like in The Maze and on The Summit?

18. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Snow depth currently at 101 cm

Could top 150cm by Sunday, Amelia

19. mick chopps

Mate was over on the summit on Sunday. Good. Not sure about Maze but Inter looked good apparently. 1m is probably a little on the low side for the Maze, especially lower down.

20. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

am going this weekend

21. mick chopps

Will be good. Y's was the pick on Sunday apparently.

22. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

I think I was skiing on about 5cm at Buller last year lol. 1m and more is going to be unreal!

Chondro likes this.
  23. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

will be there july 19-25

24. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What happened to the Gully chair and car park cams ?

25. weerab

weerab One of Us

I've been thinking about Mt Beauty park as a base for Falls but the drive up is a bit of a bummer, not sure if it is really worth it compared to prices of staying on mountain. There was also a post today from ? saying that he couldn't find day parking so drove back down the hill!

26. gettingtooold

Never had a problem with parking, but usually there by 8.30.

27. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Have to get to Falls early these days for day parking.

28. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Why not catch the morning bus?

29. soza

soza One of Us

I recommend it, pitch a tent for 30 bucks dont need cooking stuff, you got a big kitchen, drying room for your gear and a warm lounge to kick back and chat to others that have been on the hill. If there was a few of you the `yurts` or cabins would be the way to go $100 split 4 ways. I dont mind the drive up, you can go mad and do it in 20 mins or kick back with some music on, cuppa tea, pull over for anyone thats in a rush and still be in the village in 30-35 mins.
    I have even managed to fit chains in about 2 minutes, got myself a nice little system after having had to put them on 6 times so far this season.

was funny watching a car go up today with chains on the wrong wheels....made it slowly to the village with a dozen or so frustrated drivers behind.

Hully likes this.
  30. weerab

weerab One of Us

I skied Lake Mountain yesterday and noticed a Mazda 2 with chains on the back wheels, definitely front wheel drive! Also a couple of Ford territorys with chains on back, not sure what they are. They were letting AWD cars thru so that was a relief as it was puking down when I got to the ticket office.

soza likes this.
  31. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

:headbang:
    I know you are joking MC, but there must be special corner of hell reserved for people who insist on calling any fresh snow "powder"

#81 currawong, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    cold wombat and dr80 like this.
  32. mick chopps

LOL
    Some of the more fruity language I've seen in snow reporting.

Reckon the social media froth has gotten out of control this year... Hotham posted a photo last week described as "chest deep pow" and was clearly just a skier laying right back on a turn and the powder they described was the entire dense storm slab sheering off the frozen base underneath. It was actually a pretty sketchy situation to be using as marketing material. I was quite shocked.

Anyway, driving up Saturday morning. Might head straight out to Mt McKay that afternoon for a couple of runs if Mrs Chopps doesn't want to ski that afternoon.

Chondro likes this.
  33. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

apparently in Japanese there's many words to describe all the different types of snow
    Maybe we need a few more in between sleet and powder

34. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Aussie slowder

mick chopps likes this.
  35. Hully

Hully One of Us

Started to post this in the reports then realised should be here.

Regarding snow marketing (mainstream and social media) this season, I have found it to be lazy, repetitive and cliched. The past couple of seasons the Sales and Marketing departments have had to be innovative and dynamic in promoting products and experience. With the good early season falls this year they have become IMHO complacent and lazy. Resort was full as a goog last week....come next week when all of the schools are back nationwide, then the test of the S&M work will begin.

Present S&M is directed to something that the organisations that they represent have no influence or impact on - natural snow fall. I would like them to be marketing and focussing on what they actually can actually influence and deliver - customer service, ease of resort access, efficient purchase systems, efficient lift queue management, lift reliability, grooming, snowsports schools, 'value' for money pricing offerings.

As for 'Wet Powder', this has been a favoured description of Mt Buller in one of the main reporting sites this season. Knowing that these fields in a snow reporting template are typically select from a drop down menu.....it is a term that should not even be available for selection.

Karicta likes this.
  36. currawong

Last week there was an appalling example of incompetent marketing. The daily morning email said it was a bluebird day and showed a photo to match. It was actually heavy fog all day, the worst visibility of the week. The weatherzone forecast certainly didn't predict any fine conditions at any time of the day. It was hard to come up with any explanation except outright lying. In our lodge we now have a new term "Falls Creek bluebird" = white out.

37. currawong

Scathing criticisms of parking, snow clearing etc continue.

The stupid decision to close manned car parking at 6pm mid week, and oversnow at 8pm mid week, has been overturned. Instead of returning to the old cut-off of 10pm I understand it is now to be 12pm.

Also heard that the old snow clearing crew had to be brought back in on the weekend because the contractor couldn't cope.

Also that the contractor decided to put over nighters in the xc day car park making it very difficult for families on the weekend, including Junior Joey competitors.

The success of the resort relies on having smooth running of parking, snow clearing, village transport etc. Stuffing this up will cost far more than any hoped for savings. FFS, define the standard that is needed then charge what you have to to deliver it and use resources that can do it, even if that means denying the privatisation-at-all-costs dogma.

38. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, I think that the now infamous 'zipee dee doo dah' email will be filed under major PR fail.

currawong likes this.
  39. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What!? You mean the cameras weren't broken all day!
    Pretty stupid trotting out tripe like that when the email contains a link to the webcams.

40. Hully

Hully One of Us

It is a universal frustration of mine that bureaucrats, economists and many senior execs do not understand.....delivering a reduced service for the same or increased cost to the consumer does not equal increased efficiency. Reduce/maintain the cost to consumer, maintain/increase delivery standard and maintain/increase return to operator equals increased efficiency.

41. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Hully you are 100% correct, and this has been my major complaint for years. All resorts are guilty, and as for service well its very hard to find

Simple rules snow marketeers should follow:
    1. don't lie
    2. tell it like it is
    3. don't attach bluebird images to a snow report when the actual conditions are raining, foggy or snowing
    4. think up new names and ideas for thing - you know like you learnt at Uni marketing 101 (snomageddon has been done, 3 times too many. Yes it was ok the first time.)
    5. a bit of snow (eg 10 or 15 cm) doesn't make it a blizzard, storm of the season/century or whatever else. Its just snow, and its the only product that the resorts have to sell.
    6. Not every snow fall produces "Powder", and wet powder, well I'm not even going to comment.
    7. be innovative, maybe change the location you shoot the vid snow report occasionally. Show more clips of actual sking and boarding...you know the product !!!
    8. Golden Rule - there is no such thing as punters, doesn't exist...full stop. There is no place for its use at the bar, in a meeting, or anywhere. They are guests/visitors and the pay the staff wages, they are not a burden on you and no question is stupid!!
    8.1 Exceptions to Golden Rule - there are no exceptions - even the drivers between Harrietville and Hotham are still visitors

soza, currawong, Karicta and 3 others like this.
  42. Hully

Hully One of Us

Great list, there was a time I think we were heading this way. I strongly hope that we can get a focus back on this...personally I am here for the long term and will be still here with a passion for our year round High Country product long after many have moved on. As for Punter, at one time use of this term by FCSL staff was close enough to grounds for instant dismissal. Hear it far too often now within our industry. It shits me how people within our industry think themselves better than the almighty Guest. Changes in parking allocation this season at Falls Creek are a great example of this disease.

FlatLander likes this.
  43. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

I wish Hotham had the same philosophy re: use of that term. When you hear senior execs use it there is not much hope!!!

And how often do you see the person behind the counter treating visitors like 2nd class citizens (because they are not mountain staff), that really irkes me. I just walk away and find a place that offers better service. 90% of the time I know the establishments owner and have a quick word in their ear re: said staff member. Always works a treat.

Hope you are well Hully, were you off snow last year with knee reco?

44. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'm doing great, knee has come up a treat. Back skiing 9 months after ACL reconstruction is pretty good for an old man in my books, surgeon did a great job and local physio for rehab has been great.

Sadie and FlatLander like this.
  45. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I'm just checking my emails now. Today's mail from FC tells me ...

"....Today should see the freeze-line continue to fall and the snow steadily improving in quality and unambiguity. This event is shaping up as another perfect storm for Falls Creek, not so much in its storminess from hereon as in its sheer perfection. We had far more snow and far less rain than we feared out of yesterday and the forecast is for another 20-30cm, possibly more, over the next two days. And once again, it’s the quality of what will fall that has the powder-hounds salivating at the gate. Snow is forecast down to 600 metres tomorrow, so what falls up here is going to be more of that super-dry VicPow we enjoyed so much last week.
    Powder day on Friday. Blue skies by the weekend...."

"VicPow" Very parochial indeed. An abbreviation I'd never heard before

It's cold, blowing a gale and pissing down now in Adelaide, and hopefully this cold blast will fulfill the predictions above.

Counting down the days 'til my pilgrimage

46. gettingtooold

And they can't even upgrade their snow / road conditions by noon today. Weak as IMO if you're heading up while staying off mountain. Surely someone can be responsible enough to get out of bed and upgrade info for the day at an early hour.
    Fail.

BilbyBill likes this.
  47. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

The snow report weren't on either skifalls or fallscreek websites until after 8am today, that should never occur. The report never seems to get updated either, unlike the statement below it

48. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Back home in Adelaide... boo. Missing Falls already! Yesterday's conditions were pretty damn good - perfect last day. Loved the resort. Photos will be posted eventually, haha.

wannaski likes this.
  49. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Tell me about it ...

50. mick chopps

Can't believe how much snow is up there at the moment. Everything is so filled in. Creek under Falls express completely gone. Could not snow for a month and we'd still be in good shape. September is on.

Chondro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.