1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Freedom Pass $699

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by skiflat, Aug 22, 2013.

1. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

Does anyone know the process for transferring the bonus September day to others?

2. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Very easy!

Just go to a ticket counter, preferably with your Freedom Pass, tell them you want the free September day for whoever you want and they will assign it

Takes a few mins!

3. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

Does anyone want to part ways with their free day? Offering good company/riding buddy

4. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Buy your 2014 Freedom Pass before midnight Saturday 14 September to beat the first of the price rises!

Ski and snowboard when you want, as much as you want, all season long from only $699 for adults and $399 for seniors and students.

Secure your Freedom Pass for just $199 adults and $99 students/seniors NOW with the balance due next year.

HURRY! Buy now, the first of the price rises will happen at midnight this Saturday, 14 September.

Add Skitube and save! Over 60% of 2014 Freedom Pass purchasers also purchased season-long Skitube access. Smart thinking! Skitube is the most cost-effective, convenient and safest passage to Perisher!

Add Skitube for just $69 adults and $25 for students for the entire season and save having to purchase the $190 National Park Annual Pass for your car.

How about Freedom Pass Protection? Pass Protection guarantees that you will receive a full or partial refund in the case of an unforeseen "season ending" injury, illness, pregnancy or relocation overseas or interstate. Peace of mind for only $59 for adults and $34 seniors and students!

HURRY! Buy now, the first of the price rises will happen at midnight this Saturday, 14 September.

5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Thought it was meant to go up after Tower 1..........

6. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

Anyone know how much it will go up?

7. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

prolly wont, wonder how many they have sold this year, id recon after the crap season they cant have sold too many

8. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

Pretty crappy marketing, using the fear of the unknown mystical price rises. If they actually used a real scale and showed how many passes had been sold as the chair moved up I'd feel a little bit better. But knowing the whole exercise is there to scare people into purchases with the constant bombardment of 'hurry up to beat any price rises' without saying how much or when just shows me how out of touch they are.

9. Hacski

Hacski Guest

The email urging me to beat the price rise made up my mind for me.

10. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

I shunned it, took some internal strength but I did it.
    If I ride in oz next year it will be BC or nothing.

11. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

3 years ago a perisher season pass cost about $1200+
    So to complain about a season pass that costs $699 seems pretty silly
    You either want one and are dedicated enough to make it work or your not really that dedicated and should stick with day/week tickets.
    For those that love skiing/boarding and are regularly able to get to Perisher it represents fantastic value

#61 WaitAwhile, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  12. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

The price has never gone up, if it does this year I would be very surprised, pass sales woule be approaching 50% of last years IMO

13. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Skitube component goes up in price

14. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

Yea I remember forking out around $1500 for a pass with skitube.

My point is, seeing how the resort functions and the actions of most levels of management, they're doing a pretty crappy job.

#64 davidjames, Sep 14, 2013
  15. WaitAwhile

Why don't you elaborate on the specifics of what you mean by most levels of management doing a crappy job.
    I thought they done a pretty reasonable job at running the resort.
    In the last few years they have been offering cheap season passes and for a extra $49 you get to use the skitube for the whole season and saving yourself about another $199.
    You get various discounts for food,first tracks and free 1 day tickets for use in September for friends and family and they are now offering 1 day tickets for season pass holders of other resorts that want to try Perisher.
    Are all the other resorts offering day tickets for Perisher Freedom pass holders ???.
    During the beginning and mid season they done a fantastic job at keeping a lot of the runs open with extensive snowmaking and I am pretty certain they have been firing up the cannons lately to try and keep runs open, which is pretty unheard of this late in the season.

P.S
    I don't work for the Perisher lift Company or anyone associated with it and I am not related to anyone that does.

#65 WaitAwhile, Sep 14, 2013
  16. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo offered a day of skiing to Perisher Pass holders a few years ago.

17. WaitAwhile

Freedom pass or Full paying pass holders

They used to do it years ago with thredbo and perisher pass holders but I have not heard of Thredbo doing it in the last couple of years

#67 WaitAwhile, Sep 14, 2013
  18. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

It's the mentality caused by the level of demand. Not only in guests purchasing products but across the resort.
    The annual staff turnover rate at Perisher is a disgrace. Perisher will argue that they operate in an industry where people are only looking at investing themselves for a single season or possible two. The reality is that people see the daily operations and lack of effort Perisher puts in and see no reason to come back.

The cost of training each season far outweighs the cost of staff incentive's to keep them around. Season pass holders get the same discounts as staff, however that isn't the problem. There's no real incentive for staff to return and develop skills within the resort.

A lot of the infrastructure within the resort is getting to an age where in the near future the cost of maintaining and repairing it won't be viable.

I give Perisher points for implementing the Freedom Pass, but it just took too dam long. It's a great step forward in identifying the changing demographic and boosting participant rates. It's launch was a bit of a joke though, holding a 20 minute paid meeting with all instructors one morning in the pub so they could be told go sell sell sell and giving badges was just silly. Surely that $10,000 could have been spent for constructively.

Instead of developing the concept of the Freedom pass as a basis for building loyalty to the resort and building participation rates within key demo's, it sits there flopping like a fish. Yes it sells to a degree and give the resort an nice hefty amount of cash to play with over summer, but it's far from it's full potential.

I know people with disagree with this and I don't want to hijack this thread into a slamming Perisher.

tl;dr - Perisher needs to invest in their staff and infrastructure in the near future

19. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Last chance to SAVE! Hurry and beat the first of the price rises!

Ski and snowboard when you want, as much as you want, all season long from only $699 for adults and $399 for seniors and students.

Secure your Freedom Pass for just $199 for adults and $99 for students/seniors with the balance due next year.

But you must hurry! The first of the price rises will happen at midnight tonight!

Skitube is the most cost-effective, convenient and safest passage to Perisher. Include the Skitube Add-on for just $69 for adults and $25 for students for the entire season and save having to purchase the $190 National Park Annual Pass for your car.

And don’t forget about Pass Protection! This guarantees that you will receive a full or partial refund in the case of an unforeseen "season ending" injury, illness, pregnancy or relocation overseas or interstate ensuring peace of mind for only $59 for adults and $34 for seniors and students!

But HURRY! You must get in before midnight tonight to beat the first of the price rises!

20. WaitAwhile

I can"t comment to much on infrastructure but at the end of the day they have to make money to spend it.
    Lots of resorts around the world have ageing infrastructure which looks tired,I noticed it a bit on our trips to Japan but if they are not making a lot of money they can"t really spend to much.
    With all the debate going on about climate change they are not going to spend bucketloads of money replacing all the old and slow lifts,and there are a few at Perisher that fall into this category.
    Suggestive selling is pushed in lots of Industries,and it annoys the crap out of me.
    The banks and finance are probably right up there with cross selling products and the pressure was really put on Bank staff years ago to sell products and if you wanted to get up the food chain you had to sell lots of other products.
    "Do you want fries with that or upgrade to a large meal" its all about generating more business.
    Your point about retaining seasonal staff is one of the pitfalls of doing seasonal work.
    It was the same when I done it in the 90s and there is no guarantee of work next year with the same company ,sooner or later most people tire of moving around all the time and get a "real job", Some make it work.
    Most ski resorts are in a unique position where they can really pick and chose who they want and for every position their is probably a stack full of applicants chasing the same job.

21. WaitAwhile

The emails can be a little bit annoying,especially when you have already bought one for next year.

#71 WaitAwhile, Sep 14, 2013
  22. Hacski

Hacski Guest

I was uming and ahing but hoping to be able to do a 2nd trip to Sun Peaks late Feb into March means the credit card may have a bit on it when the $500 falls due in May so the email meant I decided to stop uming and ahing and not to go ahead. I'll wait a couple of years and get the totally geriatric price hoping by then I'll be winding back from 5+ days a week at work too.

23. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

yep, I emailed them about it last year, can't quite recall the response but it was something along the lines of our system can't differentiate between those who have bought one and those who haven't.

Hopefully they can do something about it next year.

#73 D-eye, Sep 14, 2013
  24. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

tower 2

#74 D-eye, Sep 14, 2013
  25. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Soooooooooooooo its after midnight and no change in the price yet on the website... quick get in now!! PS Is someone saving a full set of the terms and conditions this year for when we need to refer to it next year?

26. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Although there seems to be a number of complaints on Perisher's Facebook over the past few hours about their e store crashing when you get to the payment section...

27. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I tried buying at about 11.00pm and there was an error message until after midnight. Ended up getting through about 12.30pm and had to pay an extra $20 for the ski tube pass. Don't now whether it is worth complaining over $20........

28. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

now heading to tower 3 and no price rise, how surprising, i recon if they did actually put the price up $50 at each tower they would sell more quicker as people would panic buy

29. Donza

Donza Pool Room

umm the price did go up

#79 Donza, Sep 15, 2013
  30. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

It's like Xmas.

Shop early and miss the crashing queue.

31. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, I should've known better.

#81 Slalom, Sep 15, 2013
  32. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

The pass price is still $699, the ski tube went up $20 hardly a worry.

33. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Tell Your Friends: Freedom Pass Price Rises to $799 next Sunday!

Thanks for your 2014 Freedom Pass purchase! You now get to ski and snowboard when you want, as much as you want, all season long in 2014 and ride the new $4 million Freedom Quad Chairlift.

Freedom Pass prices will increase from midnight Sunday, 29 September to $799 for adults and $449 for students.

Tell your friends to secure their 2014 Freedom Pass now and beat the price rise.

Pay just $199 up front now for adults and $99 for students and seniors with the balance due next year!

Add Skitube and save! Over 60% of 2014 Freedom Pass purchasers also bought season long Skitube access. Smart thinking as Skitube is the most cost-effective, convenient and safest passage to Perisher. Buy the Skitube add-on for just $89 adults and $39 for students for the entire season and save having to purchase the $190 National Park Annual Pass for your car.

How about Freedom Pass Protection? This guarantees that you will receive a full or partial refund in the case of an unforeseen "season ending" injury, illness, pregnancy or relocation overseas or interstate ensuring peace of mind for only $59 for adults and $34 for seniors and students!

Hurry! Buy now and beat the price rise!

34. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Most interesting part is that 60% of people are opting for the skitube

It's simply great value!

35. Ultra

Ultra One of Us

after staying 10 days on snow this year, the ski tube addon was a wise investment. needed a few food and grog trip back to Jindy.

36. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

But not nearly half as annoying as the full-window popup promoting the pass that comes up every time you click on something on the Perisher site. Like snow cams. Or snow report. grrrrrr!

As a side observation, the "daily" snow report emails have been very erratic for me this year. Sometimes more than a week went past between emails and I thought I'd been unsubscribed. They have only been coming regularly every day this month, since most of the snow melted...

#86 Marty_McSly, Sep 19, 2013
  37. Hacski

Hacski Guest

The ski tube option is the go: past break even on the third day.

I've already decided not to get one though, mainly because our situation meant to reach break even on the pass I had to juggle work and domestic expecations to get in day trips and ended up feeling more tired and stressed than I'd prefer and the funds saved means I can entertain the thought of a possible short trip to Sun Peaks in late Feb/Mar.

I'll hang out for the oldtimers half price Freedom Pass in a few years when I might also cut back on work to take advantage of it.

#87 Hacski, Sep 19, 2013
  38. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

and about time too - beats putting on chains

#88 person s, Sep 19, 2013
  39. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep for 99% of the season it's a very easy drive to/from Bullocks FLAT to the skitube

Driving up/down the mountain, fighting with mini-vans, buses and punters is a pain in the arse and then fitting chains and/or being behind people with chains.

I had to laugh when I did drive up/down the mountain a few times, and there was a tiny bit of slush/snow on the road, they were making people fit chains and screaming at 4WD's to ENGAGE 4WD.

Skitube FTW as long as you are on it before 8am or after 9:40am........

40. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't mind the tube being a bit full.
    I always get a seat
    being old and mean I just elbow those whippersnappers out of the way - they don't put up much of a fight.

41. kiter

kiter One of Us

I have bought the 2014
    Freedom pass but didn't get the 2013 spring pass at the time I bought it.i can get away for a few days and was wondering if I can get it now or did I need to get it when I bought the pass last week

42. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I really wanted to get a freedom pass, but the reality is i can no longer afford multiple trips, even getting cheap accommodation and food.

Last year I got the pass and ended up, in total, spending more than 2.5 times what I did this year only having 1 trip.
    Sure the average cost per day was low (only 2/3 of the cost per day this year) but I just don't have the spare money any more to justify the extra total costs.

43. Zappa

Zappa Hard Yards

Ok, so my fans would have noticed I've gone all ninja recently. Didn't know what else to do...!!

Just been told by Perisher that one of the new Guthega Freedom Lift chairs will carry our surname. Yippee-yi-yay..!! [​IMG]

So stoked Perisher - thank you. Feeling giddy with happiness...... [​IMG]

Cant wait for next season.

#93 Zappa, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  44. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The Zappa chair will be rocking

45. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

But be careful of yellow snow.

Go Manly.

#95 climberman, Sep 29, 2013
  46. Zappa

Zappa Hard Yards

Rockin'n rollin baby, rockin' rollin.....

#96 Zappa, Sep 29, 2013
  47. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I hope them flakes don't

Ram it, ram it, ram it
    Ram it up yer poop chute

48. Zappa

Zappa Hard Yards

Old, crusty and sour.....

#98 Zappa, Sep 30, 2013