2015 Spring Surf thread

Discussion in 'Surf & Marine' started by Chowder11, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Winter 2015 has been and gone.
    Here is to seeing the end of 3/4s and booties, Warmer weather and longer days.
    Will take a bit to warm up down south but its always great to dust off the 2/3 and surf in bare feet and actually feel the wax on the board in between the toes again.

2. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't had a surf for the last 10 days (since Saturday last week - was skiing from Sunday and didn't get home this Sunday in time for a paddle; my wife is worried about me getting eaten by a shark on early and late sessions) but I noticed then that the water in Sydney was a degree or two warmer than it has been - I felt a bit over-rubbered in my 3/2 steamer. The Sydney water temperature has been reported as being back up to 19C for the last few days too - I don't think I saw/felt it below 17C this winter - so perhaps I will put my springy in the car for Saturday morning as well as the steamer. sidenote: I didn't get to try the booties I bought last month; they even got a trip to Perisher and back because I forgot about them and had left them in the car.

I talked to some nice surfing randoms last week at the snow - consensus from them seems to be that Newcastle area and the mid-north coast have had good waves and banks for the last few months, south coast has had good swell but bad banks (which is how I would categorise Sydney too).

3. William

William A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Still sitting around 12-13°C off SA beaches. Normally hit the coldest temps in first half of September. El Nino is meant to make this a warmer spring so we'll have to see how much of that gets into the ocean. Having said that I was in the water in my boardies by the Bluff in Victor Harbor a fortnight ago, was sunny with no wind and a light swell, squid weren't cooperating so a swim was in order.

Ted Harper likes this.
  4. Ted Harper

5. Chowder11

6. Chowder11

Strange events, he was riding a surf ski????
    Must have fallen off and was climbing back on.

7. Ted Harper

I had a "failure to surf" this morning, but turned into a good outcome. Drove to Palm Beach, only bank that was any good had a major grom contest, and too many out for me at Newport Peak and the pool end wasn't working.

So in process of giving up for the morning, I called in at Onboard shop at Mona Vale for a look - they have a sale on this weekend - and would you believe it they had a 6' Channel Islands "Pod" board like we discussed in the Winter Surf thread that my 18yo son wants for sale for $250 off, brand new with just a small flaw in the topside of the blank (that has been glassed over just fine and you won't see once the board is waxed) - even fitted with 5 FCS2 fin boxes.

Called him and negotiated how much he could afford to pay towards it, and I did the "reverse Father's Day present" and have covered the rest for him. So he is now the proud owner of a new board - 6' x 20.5" x 2.5" (34.1l) rounded pin. He has a Uni assignment to work on this afternoon but assures me he will be frothing for a paddle on it with me tomorrow morning. We'll see - if he stands me up I will take it down and give it a go anyway, wind is howling SE now so tomorrow morning might be a good "taste of summer surf" for it!

Nozawaman, FourSquare04 and Chowder11 like this.
  8. Chowder11

Nice, nothing better than new board day. Your a good father

9. blutek

blutek One of Us

With 13 shark attacks already this year, there's currently a two month production delay for the Surf7 shark shield ($650).
    Hopefully, they can get a fin based electrode working. How does a 2metre long electrode work when you're sitting on a bank or shallow reef in 1 metre of water?
    Sounds like the GW's could be heading back South, although Boulders had a visit today.

#9 blutek, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. Ted Harper

Had a very poor surf at kiddies' corner at Palm Beach this morning - tiny and weak waves and I just couldn't generate any power from them, needed a mal or twice as much foam (or an outboard motor) BUT my son did well on his new board, he definitely made a couple of good steps forward and was very happy so I don't really mind having had a blah session for myself. I caught a couple of dribblers on his board after he finished and it is a nice board.

I had a quick look at Warriewood after lunch and it looked pretty good and only about 6 in the water but I had a car full of kids (collecting from a camp) and no board with me - probably should have gone there yesterday when I gave up without a surf. So there were definitely waves to be had in Sydney, just not where I was. Oh well, always another day.

11. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Went out for a surf at Rye this morning early, was a punchy 4-5'. Awesome fun. One of the best I've had for a while then headed out down the back beaches again this arvo. Unfortunately the wind had gotten on it and the swell had died in the ar5e. I only lasted about an hour.

Spring is in the air!

12. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

TH - it was pumping on the home stretch on Saturday morning. Real nice 3-4 feet with a cracking left hand bank working, some nice barrels were reeling off. Unfortunately my lack of paddling fitness got the better of me. Went out on Sunday morning again but it was nowhere near as good as Saturday morning. Still a couple coming through but rippy and lumpy. Nice to be back in the water and how's this little warm up of the water temps going! Normally it's the coldest time of year right now but it's hovering around 18 or better! Gotta love that, but how long will it last.....

Ted Harper likes this.
  13. Ted Harper

...and again with the sharks: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/shark-kno...ach-on-nsw-central-coast-20150907-gjhaen.html

TL;DR summary... Central Coast NSW, 6:10am - a little dark for me this time of year but an early before work is always attractive - an estimated 2.5m shark bit a chunk off the nose of the guy's board (while he was on it when he "had just entered the water") and knocked him off it; he has cuts on his hand but otherwise ok. Beaches in the area closed for 24 hours.

14. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Took the dog for a walk at 7 this morning, light northerly and 20deg :eek:

15. parkmonkey

4 meter off the beach.

16. Ted Harper

Insane! What is a 2.5m shark doing in the shorebreak in presumably less-than-waist-deep water - other than looking for something to eat obviously...

17. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Could have run over a wobbygong.... they get pissed off if you do that. Or he snaked the shark's wave.

18. Ted Harper

Always wise to check inside for a shark taking off deeper than you, isn't it :)

A 2.5m Wobbygong would be a pretty big one - I don't think I've ever seen one anything like that size - but a normal shark-shaped-shark (ie not a flat thing on the bottom) would have had to be getting worked in a 4-m-off-shore shorebreak you'd think and would have needed a pretty good reason to be in that close.

BTW an interesting trivia point about that Surf7 shark shield mentioned a few posts above: Wobbygongs (and other similar bottom-feeding sharks) have a "diminished response" to the electrical waves from the device (see https://sharkshield.com/faq/)

19. William

Replacing the seam tape on the inside of the 3/4 steamer? All seems to have decided to peel away at the same time and despite being my oldest suit it is the only one I use in dead of winter, its well used at 10+ years but still holding up really well. Stitching is good with no loose bits so I would like to get a few more years out of it if I can. Have not done it before, but I assume it should be straightforward iron-on type job. Any tips?

20. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Looking like a fairly fun weekend of waves east of Melbourne - around 3' and sunshine. That's sure to get a few more people in the water.

I'll try head out tomorrow arvo and should manage most of the day on Sunday too.

Chowder11 likes this.
  21. Ted Harper

Sydney appears to be stricken by flatness today and even moreso for the weekend. Reckon I'll still have a surf (or two) though. Maintain the froth :)

22. Chowder11

Peninsula and Phillip Island should be fun this weekend. Ill be down WP bay way so hoping to sneak over and get a few hrs in at Gunna or St Andrews area.

23. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

You do know wetsuits are made from rubber like material ............. don't know about the iron method ??????

24. William

Well aware. The iron method I was told about was to heat fix the tape, lowest temp on iron with a thin shield material either side of seam leaving only the repair area exposed.

25. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Swellnet claiming a fun 2-3ft S swell which would be good for me except I've been struck down with a nasty flu - haven't been this sick in years - you'll have to get a few for me TH!

26. Ted Harper

I think 2-3' is wildly optimistic for where I looked this morning at least. Newport was maybe 1' at best, and Palmy just a little better - I had a session of fun grovelling just south of North Palm Beach surf club. A few cars at Bungan but I didn't check it. Water is even a bit warmer than last week (wild guess of 20C - my 3/2 steamer was definitely too much, I might go for the 2mm springy tomorrow which is very unusual for me for mid-September) and spectacularly clear, to the extent that some of the tiny late take-offs were strange/scary because I literally couldn't see the water and looked like I was taking off vertically over bare wet sand.

Was definitely a much more fun session for me than last Sunday's gutless waves, I got maybe 30 little 1-2 turn waves in about 90 minutes, bought a nice coffee then home. Eldest son came with me again, and again made another good step forward with his surfing on his new CI Pod board - he's definitely improved more in the last 2 sessions with that board than he had in maybe the last 5 years on my various cast-off boards.

This year's flu is a shocker, everyone who has had it has been really crook with it for several days, and seemingly regardless of whether they had the vaccine this year or not (so it must be a strain they missed when formulating it for this year). I have so far missed out on it - perhaps drinking large quantities of coffee keeps it away? Hope you can get rid of it and get in the water soon, the general experience at my work has been of feeling like death warmed up for 3-4 days then suddenly coming good.

27. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

First surf for me today since I tore my lateral medial ligament in late May. It's a little tender post surf, but no overt pain, which is a plus. I have to confess I was a touch anxious heading out.

I have an inkling my knee is maybe 99-95% recovered - enough to surf but still a bit tender at extremes of motion. My surf fitness was also way down generally. A couple of waves aside I was late into pretty much all of them - not kookesville but just not surfing well - to be expected. Plus I went midday so I was dodging a million swimmers swimming outside the flags.

Anyway Bondi today at 2 foot with 3 foot on the sets. No doubt on that - the sets were over head high on an average size surfer.

Angus_McCrory and Ted Harper like this.
  28. Ted Harper

Glad @Annabuzzy you are back in the water. Definitely all the beaches I checked (between say 7:30-11am) weren't anywhere near 2-3'. I would have loved some two footers but they just weren't there to be got, the swell even died a bit during my session this morning. You've given me hope though that the swell is indeed out there and maybe tomorrow morning one or other of the beaches I surf at will be scooping some in.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  29. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I feel you're pain.I came down with it and been in the fetal position for 4 days.Reports from around Cronulla was 3ft up the northern end with a 12 sec period,with a few good banks.

30. Ted Harper

Small(er) today at the beaches on the north side I checked. Ended up on the same bank at Palmie as yesterday - still fun, just tiny and super-short rides into the shorebreak. Had a bodysurf afterwards for 1/2 hour too, just because...

31. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah still 2 foot with more occasional 3 foot sets at Bondi. The kite festival had the place more crazy than sculptures by the sea. Crazy number of people, with most luckily not surfing.

I'll still be needing to nurse my knee. I think it has another month of recover in it. Mid week swimming and yoga rather than surfing at the moment.

32. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Mate, tell me about it. Knocked me on my ass for a good 48 hours, could only move from bed to sofa. Full on, weapons grade flu with the complete body aches, hot and cold flushes, 38.8 degree fever! Even now still chowing down the panadol's every 4-6 hours to keep the head from throbbing and to feel semi normal. Think the origin was from my little guy's day care. Over the past 3 months I've had a bad cold for around a month, then gastro / stomach flu and now this. Good times.

Drewboy likes this.
  33. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Just goes to show you how well Bondi sucks in the S swells even when small. The only equivalent S swell magnet on the North side is Curly and I'm sure it would have been well populated over the weekend.

34. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just a casual pic from the weekend before last. The 'new' DP Sequel acquired during the Winter Surf Thread with a lazy South Coast corner in a the background:

[​IMG]

35. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I had this for a month.
    its brutal this year.

36. Ted Harper

Not sure whether I like the foreground or the background more, but both together are definitely a winning combination!

37. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Join the club. Got hit hard. Three different doses of antibiotics late and I still feel like I'm only about 95%.

The only upside is that the surf up on the Goldy has been crap for quite a while. Still, dodging all of the dorsal fins in the water has added some excitement.

38. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

That looks to have similar dimensions to my new Black Diamond !!!!!!

39. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Looked like a little NE pulse yesterday and nice & clean with the NW wind prevailing here in SYD.

Today looks like a little surprise 2-3ft South swell with nice offshores grooming it. Enjoy while it lasts as the weather turns crap after today on the east coast. Looks like we are in for a few days of rain and onshores.

40. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

But it looks like the East Coast will light up for school holidays. The crowds north of Sydney will be interesting following the sharky winter.

I'm off in the Yorkes direction tomorrow via Broken Hill, expecting to arrive Wednesday'ish. Charts are looking pretty good for a prolonged easterly event late next week. Difficult with the dogs but hoping to score my first Pondalowie session (Nat Park). This will be my third trip there, love the Yorkes zone :)

41. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Very jealous of your Yorkes trip mate! Probably one of my favourite places to camp / surf / fish. You'll score waves for sure. Pondi is looking the goods tomorrow too actually. Light NE with some fun swell around. Take some pictures for me. I'll be doing a Yorkes trip over Christmas and have already been thinking about it lately. Always easy to score uncrowded waves.
    Unsure what the wildlife situation is like but when I went earlier in the year we had a few ticks find us.
    Make sure you stop in at Marion bay general store for the best hot dog with the lot I've ever had. The owner is always a barrel of laughs too....
    It's looking like a great weekend of waves on the peninsula here. Now if only the banks would cooperate.

42. Ted Harper

How did everyone go on the weekend just past?

I drove around a bit on Saturday morning but failed to surf. Saw a _lot_ of dolphins at North Palm Beach, not just surfing but doing that cool thing where they flip and spin in the air. One of the few guys in the water got very unlucky, more due to the continuing lack of decent banks than any particular size in the wave and snapped a board (looked pretty new from the colour) - late take-off, got hooked-up when it sucked up hard on the shallow sand and landed down foot-first in the middle of the board with the expected result :( Newport and Mona Vale weren't doing it and Warriewood was the best of a bad bunch BUT by the time I had meandered down that far it was getting close to the time I was supposed to be home, so I decided I would preserve my hard-earned brownie-points for a better day.

Yesterday morning, learning from my time-wasting driving around on Saturday (and knowing that Palmie wouldn't have suddenly learnt what it was to have decent sandbanks again overnight) I just went straight to Warriewood and had about 2 hours with only a couple of people out - smallish and intermittent with a washing machine shorebreak but fairly fun. Warning: The council work on the toilet block there is still ongoing and seemingly has a way to go, so the car parking at the beachfront is even more limited than usual (and the two porta-potties are quite gnarly).

43. parkmonkey

Paddling out at the pass and some poor bastard had stepped off his board expecting it to be deeper, clean break tib fib. Dragged him in with another bloke and spent about an hour on the beach waiting for the ambulance. Nasty stuff.

Chowder11 likes this.
  44. Chowder11

Owch

45. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Secret Spot , been cranking for days.

[​IMG]

cin, Chowder11, FourSquare04 and 2 others like this.
  46. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lerve them lazy South Coast corners...

47. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

After a wild week on the east coast, it's finally starting to abate. Swell now back into the manageable 3-4 feet range so I might get back out there! Water quality is a bit suss after all the rain and a lot of the lagoons have been opened up, so could be wise to give it a few days and wait for some (hopefully) nice banks to form.

48. Chowder11

Went for a grovel down at Fairhaven this morning.
    First surf in a while so felt a super sluggish, totally kooked my first wave like it was my first surf ever.
    Not much swell, 1-2ft but super glassy, swell was pretty broken up which meant for a few little peaks running up and down the beach.
    Sat on one little consistent 2ft peak by myself and got a nice handful of waves. Took the Baked Potato which was perfect board for the conditions. Water still is pretty cold but warmer than last surf (Late July) managed 2 hrs in a 3/2 and without booties. Toes were starting to numb a tad by the end.
    Sun was out when I got in 8am but about 10am a super thick sea fog blew in so called it a day.
    Back home on the couch for a nap and a little college football.
    Could think of many worse ways to spend a sunday and ok start of the weekend fair weather surfer season :D

Peli89 likes this.
  49. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Yew! Nice one Chowder!

I went out at Gunna yesterday morning and was a punchy 5'. I spent 2 hours getting pounded and fighting the rips and then threw in the towel.

I tried my luck again this arvo down at Gunna again and got a few great rides. The swell was a fun 3' on the low and the sun was shining. I'm loving this nicer weather!
    I haven't ditched the booties yet but I think I will next week. It's warming up. That's for sure.

Chowder11 likes this.
  50. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

New board, new boardies , Bali here I come .
    Flight boards in 30 minutes !!!!!!!