1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2016 advice for family with young kids

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Ludaning, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Hey guys I've bought a season pass for my whole family, 2 adults and a 5 and 8 yr. old, for next season and just after peoples opinion on logistics.

This season we spent a week at Thredbo and a weekend at Perisher. Loved Thredbo for the ease of just jumping on the transfer bus with the kids but preferred skiing at Perisher.

The problem was the bloody walk from the very busy car park with 2 kids in ski boots , whinging, and my wife and I carrying 2 sets of skis each while trying to get there on time for kids ski school. The walk back at the end of the day was worse.

This year I'm thinking of grabbing a season locker to put at least the skis. Do the lockers at the Perisher ski tube terminal fit 4 sets of skis? Would boots dry overnight in them or should we just leave the skis? Does 1 locker accommodate a whole family?

Also thinking of adding a season ski tube pass. How long is the trip up. I've only driven up. Keeping in mind we need to be there by 8.30-9.00 for ski school. Or should I just drive up but still hire the locker.

Looking forward to next season but trying to organise a less stressful start and finish to each day. My kids do fine with the skiing its just walking and lugging gear around.

Cheers

Daniel

2. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Ski at smiggs.....
    Or.....

few tips

lockers aren't for boots.... they won't dry... but wear your normal shoes to locker and carry boots in a pack.
    swap over at locker..start of day, end of day.

ski tube pass is a great idea...especially if you take the lessons at Blue Cow.
    Its 20 mins to Bullocks and then 15 on train.
    If you time it right... It can be nearly as fast on a sunny day. While better on a snowy day.

rocketboy likes this.
  3. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is no such thing as a stress free morning start with kids at the snow. Even trying to minimise the stress can be more stressful than the initial stress in the first place.

Generally speaking boots will not dry or be warm in the morning.

Ski tube add on for season passes is always a good idea. Especially on weekends. Others will say differently - but it just makes the uphill process way less stressful for the driver IMO.

But just always keep in mind that the stress ends at apx 9.20 when the dear ones are handed over to other caring adults and is out of sight out of mind for a whole 6 six hours until pick up time.

Cheers
    RB Snr

Ted Harper, Ludaning and Donza like this.
  4. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Any issues with security if leaving skis in lockers. I mean is it a regular thing for things to get stolen from the lockers.

Happy to be based at Perisher then explore. Kids go well at perishers program.

5. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

Ski lockers are single. One pair of skis each. However they will keep kids skis behind the counter for free.

At least they did a couple of years ago when I last hired a locker.

They have ski lockers and ordinary lockers. Each rented separately. An ordinary locker will hold 2 pairs of adult boots easily. You might squeeze the kids' boots in too if they are small. Ours dried overnight reliably.

To keep the whole family's gear you would be paying for 2 ski lockers and one or two ordinary lockers.

Edit: Just re-read OP. My experience is with lockers at the Perisher Centre. I've never tried the lockers at the Skitube terminal.

6. rocketboy

You should be fine with security. I have 1cover insurance (domestic ski add on) which should any equipment that is properly secure ie in a locker. You only pay for the adult with kids free

7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Stay on snow in Perisher, ideally somewhere that you can ski in/out. There are not many of them.

In the real world, parking at Smiggins is a great trick. You are much closer to the snow from your car and (assuming decent cover) Link and Piper Ts get you to and from the rest of the resort if you don't want to stay in Smiggins.

IMO, lockers are for storing street shoes during the day. Carry your boots up and down.

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thanks $$$$$$$

9. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Would love to legs but 5-6 k vs 2k. Not prepared to pay that. My kids are actually pretty good down the snow. But they are still little so..

10. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

The picture of the lockers at the tube terminal seem large enough to house a few sets of skis but can't confirm. I'll email Perisher and ask.

Just not carrying skis to and from car would be a great help.

11. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

If you hire the kids gear from Perisher will the store them for you overnight.

12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

screw hiring gear.. a set of kids skis at the ski show in June will set you back the same price as two days of hire.
    Then you can on sell them.

telecrag likes this.
  13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What is the extra cost of staying on snow versus jindy plus skitube tix for a family every day?

14. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Approx 2k for jindy accommodation and driving $200 national park season pass or add season tube tix to epic pass and that's an extra $300.

So about $2500 vs $5-6000. Could also add $350 for season locker so 3k v 5-6k

15. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have never seen such misery as descheveled parents and totally cooked kids getting on the bus at end of a sunny Thredbo day. Parent tantrums bigger than the kids

16. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I have stored 4 sets of skis in the blue lockers on the platform during the season. Plus 2 boot bags! Not easy, but do-able.
    The biggest problem with those lockers is that when you go to open them the skis tend to tip forward.
    And another thing, it gets wet in those lockers. NEVER, EVER leave boots there overnight as the snow melt from the skis will find its way into the boots. I had a hard brush in the locker to brush away excess snow before storing them. That helped.
    So, in short, they're not the best designed lockers but convenient.

17. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We usually just hire a small locker in the Perisher centre, enough room for 2 sets of boots, the skis come home with us each night and never had a problem with damp boots, although mine do stay really dry.
    I had a look inside the season lockers for maybe next year??? and as Tonester has said the setup is all wrong, the boot compartment should be at the top, not underneath the skis, and their is plenty of room for skis/boards.

18. WaitAwhile

If you want to make it really easy with children have you considered using the ski tube and going straight up to blue cow.
    Hop on the skitube , get of at Blue Cow, walk 20 metres into locker room and then another 20 metres to the snow, strap on skis and downhill you go .
    Reverse at end of day.

19. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Thredbo was good with the bus. Plus we were aloud to leave the kids skis at thredboland. Cant leave the kids skis at Perisher school.

20. sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29 One of Us

I got some velcro straps for carrying skis on your back from France. You can get them in child sizes too. Shares the load!

21. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Haha don't think my kids would go for that. Anyway got a year to figure it out. Think I just need to talk about skiing due to the fact the seasons over and im now hooked.

22. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

Other ski carrying options at http://www.ski-walker.com if interested.

23. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

sn0wbunny29 and Ludaning like this.
  24. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher Center locker room tests your patience like nothing else. Usually way too crowded by far. One look at everyone's faces and you can see everyone with kids is desperately trying to hold it together till they can get out of there. Not a good way to start or finish the day, but sometimes its still the best option there is.

And I'd never get a season pass without ski tube. It only takes two (?) trips up on pukage days till you're in front.

25. skichic

skichic A Local

Get some of these ski carriers [​IMG] At the very least it will make it easier for adults to carry an extra set of kiddy skis. 8yr old - old enough to carry their own skis. 5yr old - carries your poles if they can't do skis. Get to the carpark early so you have a front row park, bribe with hot chocolate on arrival to compensate for the early wake up. Or park at Smiggs where it's only a short walk from car to snow. Do lessons at Smiggs.

26. Swede

Swede One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Start putting a bit of concrete in the kid’s cereal every morning and they should be fine by next winter ;)

piolet and skichic like this.
  27. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you don't have to get the kids to a lesson then consider parking at Smigs. You can park much closer to the lifts than at Perisher. Warm up at smigs, then ski of to P or Blue Cow. Obviously if the kids are booked in at lessons at Perisher this is not going to work

Ted Harper likes this.
  28. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

OK yes the lockers easily fit 4 pairs of skis, get some magnetic hooks, like the ones in this pic, and you can secure the skis so they won't fall out of the locker.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm assuming your new to the snow, so lets get one thing out of the way. You never ever leave boots in the car or a locker overnight. Boots should be warm and dry overnight, and put on warm (soft) in the morning, so they are more likely to conform to the shape of your feet. My daughters boots sit in front of a fan heater before she puts them on.

The best thing you can do for your kids is make lessons mandatory in the mornings and ski with them in the afternoon. You have children, its not about you anymore.

Ski tube and Blue Cow lessons are much better than front valley, (there are lockers at blue cow too.

Personally for the little kids I like to have a spare set of everything (Aldi?) for them on a rainy day, so they can get changed at lunchtime.

Ted Harper and Marty_McSly like this.
  29. Ultra

Ultra One of Us

Shhhhhhhhhh, dont tell everyone the secrets..

30. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Definitely consider skitube. So glad I don't need to put chains on anymore if I have the "wrong" car.

Take you boots home rather than leaving them in a locker. Use the locker so you can wear ordinary shoes and keep them in the locker during the day.

Get the kids carrying their own skis ASAP. Ski school usually teach them this as an instructor cannot carry the skis for all the kids in the group. Worst case is youngest carries everyone elses stocks.

31. rocketboy

Yes it's good that kids carry their own skis - as long as they don't swing one of them into the window of a parked car or slip on the ice. Either event can ruin the day.

32. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Teach them to carry them vertically with the arm half wrapped around the ski, the hand under the top binding and the ski leaning against the shoulder. Do not let them follow the bad example set by many ski instructors :axe: of carrying them over their shoulder. Yep turn around and see how many innocent victims you can get. Main reason I wear a helmet is to protect myself from these "professionals".

33. Ludaning

Ludaning Hard Yards

Bought 2 cheap sets of theses off eBay. So at least my wife and I can sling them over our shoulders. And will get a back pack big enough of kids ski boots. So they can do car park walk in normal shoes. Plus locker hire. Hopefully this will ease some early morning pain.

34. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

2016 advice for family with young kids
    sell the kids!

I know nothing about Perisher, but if you wish to continue enjoying the snow with kids, teach them to carry their own gear
    ie, they don't carry, they don't ski!
    This from a parent of 5 skiing kids!

Ludaning likes this.
  35. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Some advice about the Perisher Centre Locker room - it's the most disgraceful facility to be found on any mountain.:headbang:
    Even mid-week it's damp and congested with peeps forced to sit on the floor to put on boots, blocking narrow aisles while others try to push past or get gear out of adjoining lockers. It's just such a bad start to the day with so many bad vibes around.
    If you must use it to store shoes during the day, do not take your kids inside. Change into ski boots outside or up in the centre then 1 person take the shoes down to the locker room. Do the reverse at the end of the day.
    As others have said - never leave your boots in the dungeon overnight - they will be cold and so stiff your kids will be in tears before the boots are done up.
    I'll often put my boots on at the Bullocks car park as there is really little walking from there.when catching the tube.

Unless you can get to the Perisher car park by 7.30 every morning, the ski tube is more convenient with the shortest walk regardless of weather and gives the option of starting at Perisher or Blue Cow depending on lessons and conditions.
    The big lockers in the tube stations are good if your doing multiple trips up and down from Sydney or interstate and don't want to carry your skies every trip or if you have a couple of sets of skies for different conditions. Doubt if it would save much effort by putting them in the locker as against the car for trip up and down from Jindy.
    Enjoy the season when it comes.:)

36. Snowfi

Snowfi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The ski straps that go over both shoulders like a backpack are common on the kids using the tube. Mine use them and its a godsend. Tell them they can be like the big kids and make a special trip to mid station to get some (they were the only place selling them last year).
    It might seem a horror in the first few trips but get a routine and stick to it.

Ludaning likes this.
  37. WaitAwhile

The locker room within the Perisher centre can be a challenging place during busy periods.
    Its not unusual to see the rest of the family standing around the lockers while mum struggles with getting little johnny's boots on and everyone else is trying to get past, or the inconsiderate ones that that decide they want to take up an entire bench seat with their shoes and clothing while everyone else is scratching their heads trying to find a seat.
    Sometimes the easiest way is to just flick your shoes/boots into the locker, slip on your skiboots and go fit then outside.