1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report 2016 miniSIC Myoko / Niseko

Discussion in 'Japan' started by sara777, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

ah so they were lining up at coffee shops?

2. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sending a hug! Take care :froth:

3. Chester

Chester One of Us

Similar reason to why we had queues. Much of the resort was closed due to extreme avalanche risk hence lifts that were open were subject to larger than normal crowds.

4. Chester

Chester One of Us

I guess some resorts are lucky enough to never have the problem of long queues due to most lifts being on hold as a result of high avalanche risk.

5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

and flat ones completely eliminate avalanche risk - good planning there eh ;)

6. Chester

Chester One of Us

If you say so.

7. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Sweet pleasure only experience you will.

sara777 likes this.
  8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

ROFL
    No it was taken BEFORE they opened. We were early birds. Like today at the Gondie. Walked up the hill from the welcome centre - waved at the groomer and carved up his handiwork before joining the small queue waiting for it to open up.

(LOL, just realised I quoted the wrong post of Gareth's!! Was supposed to be the one about lift queues)

#408 LMB, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. LMB

So today was awesome - my best day yet. Yesterday's powder was unparralelled, but being guided and educated by my good mate Pete from HME meant today was full of education and fun times! I'm never disappointed when I go out with Pete (maybe in my own ability...LOL)

We started off with the big walk up hill to the Welcome Centre to climb the stairs, hike the hill and meet Pete at the Gondie to get an extra beacon and couple of packs for YK and Ozgirl. Why on earth they start the bus running at the same time as the lifts open is beyond me!!!

First run through gate 5 down to Hana3 saw us educated about cutting cornices, dropping cornices safely and slab layers (see earlier photo) - some turns were a dream and some were heavy when we hit the slab layer.

The queue for the top King lift to access the peak was insane - plenty of low hanging fruit people!!! No need to spend hours in a queue just to get off and hike! So we rode the trees working our way over to the King triple hooded, then took the Ace 4 and ran some untouched trees down to the Hilton at Niseko Village. That's where we lost Ozgirl. She took her flu and caught the bus home to a warm bath.

Then it was just the 'boys' - Pete, YK and LMB LOL :thumbs:
    Straight out gate 1 for freshies for days!! Sooooo awesome.
    We got an education on glide cracks, which is something I definitely want to avoid!

Then in for lunch to give YKs shins a rest - ski boots ARE as bad as I thought ;) Well at least when skiing powder...

After an awesome lunch, Biru for the lads and mulled wine for me we worked our way back to Hirafu finding fresh tracks pretty much all the way down - whooping it up all the way, even YK told his screaming shins to shut up and went for one more.

One more was Rob Roy - which was just a delight! We went to have a look at the waterfall and had a chat about terrain traps while my calves stopped burning from traversing the face.

Visibility was in extremes - a few games of Marco Polo required when it was totally socked in, to bluebird!

We left YK at this stage and it was just me and Pete - upper lifts had closed so we ran the King hooded on repeat a few times STILL finding outstanding lines of untracked through the trees.

A magic day for the last day of the Ski.com trip. I drop YK, Ozgirl and Kimski at the welcome centre for thier bus out in the morning.

It's been a total blast!!!
    A few more days here for me, I'll get a few runs in, but mostly gotta sort stuff out here and spend time with my non skiing friend :thumbs:

Thanks @Ian D and @Richard for bringing us together :love::cheers:

Majikthise, Kletterer, kaegee and 8 others like this.
  10. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sooo glad you guys had a great day! Sucked to miss it but knowing you guys had fun helps in some ways!

It's has been an amazingly trip!

Thanks for LMB from being a great driver in Myoko to her fabulous hospitality here in Niseko!!!

Love you to the moon and back and can't wait to do more turns with you in the not too distant future!!!!

Kimski, LMB and sara777 like this.
  11. sara777

This! I've met and made great new friends this trip: @Lady Mamabear @Sandy and enjoyed my days in Myoko with friends I have already had: so thank you for all the fun and encouragements, and how we all pulled together on/off snow! It's been the best trip.
    @Ozgirl enjoy Tokyo!
    Hoping for many turns and laughs with you guys really soon, and Japan trip once again hopefully :cheers:
    :cheers::metun:

Kimski, Sandy, Ozgirl and 1 other person like this.
  12. sara777

Wonder how is @hipo doing??

13. LMB

He would be home now? No?

14. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It was great skiing with you guys!!!! :D

Ozgirl, sara777, Kimski and 1 other person like this.
  15. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

You were awesome to ski with too Sandy. Love my new skis you picked up for me :thumbs:

Due to the two days when the mountain was closed due to the weather I feel I have unfinished business here in Hokkaido. Guess I'll just have to come back here another year :D

I feel my skiing has really improved and LMB has been a fantastic host. Once again I seem to have put on weight while on a ski trip LOL

sara777, LMB and Ramenman like this.
  16. sara777

Yes, meant to leave on Wednesday. His last post was from Monday I think..Hope all is good.

17. LMB

Perhaps a stop over? Or knee deep in laundry and unpacking :thumbs:

sara777 likes this.
  18. sara777

Just checked, last post Tuesday which I completely missed along with a few others! Don't know how :confused:

19. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I'm posting this thanks to the very handy free wi fi at Chitose airport.

My suitcase and ski bag combined weighed 20.2 kg. Handbag (minus valuables) was also in my suitcase so it should just right for the Cathay Pacific 20kg weight limit.

I hopefully have just enough yen left for a decent meal at Narita while I wait for my international flight.

Ramenman and LMB like this.
  20. Ozgirl

YK and I made it to our tokyo hotel.

Barely, this cold I have is terrible!

LMB the facemask is awesome though! With in minitues i was hacking stuff up in a good way!

I think it will def help me sleep tonight. I forgot to wear it last night.

Kimski and LMB like this.
  21. sara777

Oh god, you poor thing! At least it happened at the end of your trip :cry: Have lots of hot Miso soup..

22. LMB

Told ya! It really helps.
    And you look like you fit in ;-)
    Don't forget to take heaps of the D3.

Crazycat and I did some fast groomer laps today, met a beautiful Japanese couple from Chitose in the Gondola, took *K* for her first Gondola ride and lunch at King Bell, then did some shopping and fuelling up in Kutchan before dropping the car back. They had restocked the bake-able kit kats so I bought loads to bring home (novelty!), and they had put out their Easter KitKats, so we stocked up on those too - Easter gift shopping DONE!

Dinner at Yamanchu followed up by drinks at Gyu and we are ready for bed.

Kimski and sara777 like this.
  23. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I'm now at my hotel inHong Kong. It's Ibis Sheung Wan. Nothing fancy but it feels huge after Japan! It also has a view of The Peak so I can't complain :thumbs: It cost a grand total of 23 Hong Kong dollars to take a taxi from Hong Kong Central station to the door of the hotel.

At Narita airport I learnt that when travelling with skis trolleys are your friend :D

I had a near disaster at Narita airport. My luggage was sorted so I could put my ski boot bag straight into the overhead luggage and have everything else I needed for the trip out. The trouble was this included my IPad and in my travel day exhaustion I managed to leave it in the toilet! Luckily I realised before I boarded the plane and it was on the shelf in the toilet where I left it.

Good to hear you're feeling better Ozgirl. You didn't sound good this morning :(

24. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I got home this morning after a very bumpy flight from Hong Kong.

Stepped in the scales out of curiosity a few minutes ago and I've put on 3-4 kilos over the trip :eek:

Ramenman likes this.
  25. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

4kilos in 2 weeks or so:eek:? I guess Kimski-san likes and enjoyed foods in Japan very much:cheers:
    [​IMG]

#425 Ramenman, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Hyst, Kimski and D64133 like this.
  26. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I don't think I'm designed for degustation dining and drinking alcohol every day. Don't think my sweet tooth helps either ... Pretty sure it will be 3 kilos not four I've put on. Obviously I'm just such an efficient skiier now I'm not burning enough calories LOL

Ramenman likes this.
  27. LMB

:doh:
    Kimski!!! You NEVER weigh yourself the day you get back. You CRAZEEEE? Water retention from the flight!!! :eek:

Weigh yourself Monday morning, then assess the damage.

But don't forget to factor in muscle mass - my calves are always super pumped up for a few weeks after I get home. Muscle is heavy.

sara777 likes this.
  28. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

Good point LMB :D The scales were right there and I couldn't resist. I even asked my dad if he could get some apples for me from the supermarket.

29. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

EPA and DHA are very good for our health, and fish is very high in EPA and DHA. Soy Isoflavones are very good for our health and women's beauty. Green tea is very high in Catechin and Vitamin C. Catechin and Vitamin C are really good for anti-aging(they help us keep young:love:). Japanese people eat a lot of fish and soy products, and drink a lot of green tea(of course sugar free ones). So Japanese people have the longest life expectancy in the world:thumbs:.

Buuuuuuuuuut, Japan has many evil foods too, yes, they are high carbohydrate foods:doh:. Rice, udon, ramen, okonomiyaki, etc, they are high in carbohydrate. Especially ramen is very bad:cry:. Most yummy ramens are high in salt and oil(fat) too. High in carbohydrate, salt and oil, the worst combination :cry:. You see my name, and you know how much I love ramenROFL. I put on 5kilos or more in 2 or 3 months after I moved to an apartment next to yummy ramen restaurants;)

#429 Ramenman, Mar 6, 2016
    Chester likes this.
  30. Sandy

Carbohydrates are not bad for you, so it's not correct to say that Rice, udon & ramen are evil foods. Why are Japanese people slim, when they eat this stuff?
    You just need to understand the relationship between the GI (Glycaemic Index) of different foods, blood glucose and the type of exercise you do.
    I've recently (since June last year) researched and understood the relationship and balance of these three things, and I've lost 9kg!! Effortless.... 15min of the RIGHT type of exercise a day, and eating the right foods any time, and eating the "wrong" foods at the right time.... and never hungry!!!

Majikthise, Ramenman and sara777 like this.
  31. d15812

d15812 Guest

Karaage is ok though right?

32. Sandy

It has a carb coating and quite a bit of oil.... but if you've been skiing, it doesn't matter... just don't wash it down with a bottle of coke that has 13 teaspoons of sugar in it.

Ozgirl, Ramenman and LMB like this.
  33. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Lovely T R folks.

benchives, Ozgirl, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  34. Ozgirl

Well three days of sickness has made me drop at least a kilo!

Feeling a bit better today.

Currently sitting at Dean and Deluca ( my crush on Felicity means i can't walk pasted this place!). At Tokyo Midtown, about to wander around Roppongi before heading to Tokyo station to meet with Sandy-san!

Kimski, sara777 and LMB like this.
  35. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agreed @Kletterer. Anything covering braiding ,powder, drinking and diet gets :):thumbs:

benchives, Kletterer, Kimski and 3 others like this.
  36. LMB

ROFL
    We are allrounders!

A house full of struggle street here today. Birthday drinks, boozy dinner and 'oh it's your birthday, here have a free shot' took its toll!
    :oops::whistle:

37. blutek

blutek One of Us

putting that unseasonal weather event aside, what's the comparison between now & Jan/ Feb?
    It just seems to keep giving. And the crowd?

38. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Speaking of Central Honshu, January has the biggest snowfall and February has the deepest snowdepth. So January and February are better. In Hokkaido and northern Tohoku, it's usually cold enough in early March too, and early March (now) has the deepest snowdepth usually. So in general, I think early March is not bad if you go to Hokkaido or northern Tohoku mountains like Hakkoda.

#438 Ramenman, Mar 6, 2016
  39. LMB

Well I am a few days earlier than usual this trip and it was significantly busier than last year and the year before. Not Dec/January madness but not my private little ski hill either.

I get the feeling that some returning customers either priced out of Xmas/NY, or who missed out on bookings, or looking for a quieter time have booked for end feb/early March. Quite a few families with small children (under 12) - obviously not averse to taking the kids out of school. Loads of Americans and Brits, quite a number of Germans, Italians, Spanish. Vast majority Chinese or from HK (Chinese and expats from all over). Aussies still in a big number but less younger people than previous years (with exception of the season workers).

The snow was great.
    Had a storm event that shut the hill, but we get that in Jan/Feb too (and did!) - and the pow when it fell was just as awesome as you get in Jan and Feb.

No complaints here.

blutek and Ozgirl like this.
  40. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

How's the weather there today LMB? I saw there was some rain forecast.

41. LMB

Today it's horrid.
    Drizzle at times, no real rain.
    There was a real slush fest yesterday that's iced up today. Village is treacherous. Even LMB the mountain goat is using spikes today!
    We spent a good half hour people watching from the end bedroom window as people slid down the street - without fail those without spikes battled or fell - it was like an inclined ice rink!
    Best thousand odd yen investment.

sara777, Ozgirl, Sandy and 1 other person like this.
  42. Ozgirl

Well the party is over for me..

Writing this at my desk at work :-(

43. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

The only cure is to start planning for the next trip :D

It seems I'm not immune to the lurgy after all. I had a sore throat yesterday and more symptoms today. Managed to pick up my cat from the cattery and get some groceries but otherwise have just been watching TV and slept for four hours this afternoon. Not sure what to do about work tomorrow ...

44. sara777

But of course you go straight from the plane to the office :D My role model of toughness :)

#444 sara777, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  45. LMB

Use those sick days girl!

Kimski likes this.
  46. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I'd use the sick days plan...

Medical reason ? : SDS.

It's a terrible thing to suffer

skifree, Majikthise, Kimski and 2 others like this.
  47. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

Forgot to add before that I really enjoyed my stopover day in Hong Kong. Did a day in Dubai last year (on the way to Europe) and Hong Kong was much more enjoyable. Shame that the Middle East airlines seen to be taking over these days.

I'm already thinking I'll have to get back to ski in Japan again next year. It's addictive!

DidSurfNowSki and Ramenman like this.
  48. Ozgirl

Haha! I really does help!

My resolve is slowly wanning though. It REALLY hurt to get of bed today.

I felt pretty good on Sunday but seemed to have gone backwards since the plane :-(

49. sara777

It's the 'delay' effect. You should really rest for least a few afternoons, and drink plenty of water!

50. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

fify