System Update 2017 Snow Cams

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The annual cleaning of the snowcam 'code' cobwebs is now finished. The good ol' snow cam tour (still the no.1 most used featured on the site) has also been audited and all the obsolete cams removed.

All Aust and NZ cams are now updating every 5 minutes on this site (previously every 10min*) and image optimisation has been tweaked to increase the quality of images on both mobile & desktop without sacrificing too much page load speed.

Many images supplied by the resorts are now 'HD' in pixel size (if not always in image quality) and so the 'Expand' button (avail on desktop only) reveals a full size image for many more cams than previously.

Other improvements include code tweaks to sync fresh images from resorts faster than previously - Out of Order images now also only appear after an image has not updated for 72 hours (previously 24hr). Plus new Out of Order image.

Also - If any capable front end devs are reading this.. I'm prepared to pay good rates to get the image archives happening again. PM me.

(* Note: some resort cams still update just once every ten minutes)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Sadly the trend by resorts to 'over-pimp' the cam images with marketing messages continues to gather traction. The size of the banner on Selwyn & Charlottes is getting redunculous.

selwyn1.jpg

charlottepass-kangarooridge.jpg

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Sadly the trend by resorts to 'over-pimp' the cam images with marketing messages continues to gather traction. The size of the banner on Selwyn & Charlottes is getting redunculous.

selwyn1.jpg

charlottepass-kangarooridge.jpg

Chop the bottom of the images off while processing.

#HalfSerious

Reactions: POW Hungry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Chop the bottom of the images off while processing.

#HalfSerious

More than half seriously considered it, but it requires waaay to much mapping to spec the x and y coordinates individually across 50 plus images, maintain aspect ratio, work out which one's can handle a bit of upscaling, keeping thumbnails consistent sizes etc.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
yep,

Thought it was well time for a change.

Plus, if FB has schooled us about anything, it is that the Internet never gets tired of lol cat pics.

Yep. Like. But when I went looking for cams from a forum thread on my phone there was no obvious cams link from the burger menu. Had to go to the main ski header. Usability issue?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Yep. Like. But when I went looking for cams from a forum thread on my phone there was no obvious cams link from the burger menu. Had to go to the main ski header. Usability issue?

yes,

I've noted that a while ago for both cams and reports - and have devised a fix in my mind - its on my list - and expect to be part of this weekends massive campaign of no sleep!

gettingtooold

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2012
geelong
Good to see the Gully and car park are now aligned. What happened to the view from the top of Gebis up the gully where recent snow falls could be observed on the roof ?.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Good to see the Gully and car park are now aligned. What happened to the view from the top of Gebis up the gully where recent snow falls could be observed on the roof ?.

There is no saving this. That Pan Tilt Zoom cam has been configured poorly and the images constantly get out of sync. That is why I have renamed the series Gebi 1, 2 & 3.

This is the array, the images constantly switch so it's not possible to map them consistently to a particular view.

http://chuckasnowie.com.au/webcams/FallsGebis_000.jpg||fallscreek-gebi1.jpg||720x480||
http://chuckasnowie.com.au/webcams/FallsGebis_001.jpg||fallscreek-gebi2.jpg||720x480||
http://chuckasnowie.com.au/webcams/FallsGebis_002.jpg||fallscreek-gebi3.jpg||720x480||

I know what has been done wrong but there is no one in IT at Merlin that seems to know what they are doing, or more importantly, cares about the image quality. Falls & Hotham's cams have not had any TLC for years. In the meantime, Perisher, Buller and Thredbo have all upgraded their systems to HD 1920x1080 CCD cameras.

Mountainwatch with same problem
jIDmCL+

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
there seems to be a problem with the link to the FF live cam.

For the least weekish, every time I click on the link from here, It shows an error message "the live stream recording is not available" and yet if I access the same cam from the Thredbo site it is working fine

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011

For the least weekish, every time I click on the link from here, It shows an error message "the live stream recording is not available" and yet if I access the same cam from the Thredbo site it is working fine
I noticed it as well. I think it must be a youtube/Thredbo website link issue.

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com

Ditto. Probably been like that for at least 2-3 weeks.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@gareth_oau
@Telestrom
@Billy_Buttons

Fixed.

yes, they changed the youtube id.

Pls alert me as soon as you notice this - it will probably happen again at some stage due to the nature of YouTube streaming, my guess is if the stream out of Thredbo up to YouTube fails for extended period - when it returns it gets a new ID.

(if you have viewed the FF cam today you will need to refresh - pages have 24hr cache)

Reactions: Billy_Buttons

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
@gareth_oau
@Telestrom
@Billy_Buttons

Fixed.

yes, they changed the youtube id.

Pls alert me as soon as you notice this - it will probably happen again at some stage due to the nature of YouTube streaming, my guess is if the stream out of Thredbo up to YouTube fails for extended period - when it returns it gets a new ID.

(if you have viewed the FF cam today you will need to refresh - pages have 24hr cache)

Thankyou kind sir

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
they must I think. Prolly turn off the stream to save outbound bandwidth.

There would be enough light from groomers and spots for something to be occasionally visible.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass