1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2018/19 Europe ski trip.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sbooker, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Exciting times.
    I've booked flights to get into Munich just before Christmas. Plan on checking out the christmas markets before heading for a few days in Kaltenbach in the Ziller Valley. I understand it's very early season so I've got very low snow expectations. Hopefully it will be cool enough to get some skiing on man made as a minimum. If things are really dire there's always the Hintertux glacier to make some turns on. any hints or tips from those that may have visited this area?
    We haven't booked anything from then on but plan to take the train to check out Venice or Milan before staying a four or five days in the town of Aosta or even Chamonix. We'll have a car for that period.
    Our main ski week will be the week commencing Saturday the 5th of January which I believe is low season. I intend on waiting to see what the conditions are before committing to an area but possible contenders are Dolomites (preference if there is snow), Ischgl, Arlberg, Saalbach.
    I understand this will seem too busy for a lot of people but we're used to a holiday that involved moving around. We very much enjoy it that way.
    Any glaring deficiencies or omissions in this rough itinerary? We're confident intermediates who have skied quite a bit in North America but we've never been to Europe so dealing with language barriers will be interesting.
    Super pumped that it's locked in. Only 9 months to wait now.

Ozgirl and piolet like this.
  2. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Don't speed in suisse

CarveMan likes this.
  3. driz

driz Hard Yards

It sounds like you're planning to rent a car from Italy: getting a car with winter tyres is non-trivial (or not possible) in Italy afaik. If you're going to get a car and head into the mountains it's usually better to rent from Munich, Austria, or Switzerland where they are effectively a legal requirement during winter months. No need for 4wd etc or stuffing about with chains.

Language barriers are usually non-existent, making half an effort at the local 'hello' and being slightly apologetic is usually enough

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Kaltenbach in the Zillertal is a good choice. I stayed in nearby Ried a few years ago. From there you have direct access to Hochzillertal which is groomer paradise. Don't be too concerned about possible lack of natural snow - snowmaking in Austria is excellent so pistes will be in good shape. If there is a bit of fresh about though definitely cross over by skilift to the Hochfügen side which is largely ungroomed. Or else get on the Zillertalbahn train (included in ski pass) and ski other areas in the valley eg. Zillertal Arena, Mayrhofen or Hintertux.

Ischgl, Arlberg, Saalbach are all good options for January.

These are all major international ski resorts so language will not a big problem, although having a bit of knowledge of German will certainly help.

Kletterer likes this.
  5. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I could be wrong but I believe it is now law in Italy (fairly recent) when hiring from certain locations that winter tyres are standard.

6. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Is anyone able to advise which car rental company to look at?
    Generally speaking is it more reasonable to hire from an airport or another branch?

7. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sixt but beware the deal doesn't include insurance. As stated, from Germany you get winter tyres. Beware the vignette outside Germany. If you want snow sure, omit Ischgl. However it can't be beat for nightlife. Schatzi!

8. driz

driz Hard Yards

I usually book with Hertz because of Hertz Gold (free) membership which means it's usually a bit faster at the pickup desk. Looking at the hertz site, I wonder if that law is 'winter equipped' which they might solve using chains rather than tyres, although there are some specific and slightly more expensive models available which they claim will have winters.

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/misc/index.jsp?targetPage=winter-driving-italy.jsp

My girlfriend booked a small car with winter tyres from Europcar in Clermont-Ferrand and on arriving was told - 'I don't know why they let you book this, we don't have any cars with winter tyres here'. So if this were a democracy I would vote not europcar. Although to be honest this is what I expect you'll get with any of them in Italy.

9. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Can confirm that hiring a car at Munich Airport is very expensive.

10. Kletterer

Asfinag Austrian Toll stickers online

11. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Is Euro train travel as easy as it seems? Buy ticket, get on train, store luggage, get off train? Do all trains accept passengers with suitcases? Or only certain routes?

12. Kletterer

Never had a problem with cases and ski bags on any trains Austria, Italy, Swiss.

Whiteman and Zeroz like this.
  13. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, was about to ask why you wanted a car. Like all major Euro airports, there's a train station at Munich airport.

Car need varies on the ski area you pick, but if you want a car, get a train to a nearby city, rent from there.

Euro train travel is fast, easy and convenient. Bags/ski gear no problem. The vistas from the trains are spectacular.
    Cars are a hassle in Europe with snow, $$ tolls, routes, parking, etc. The trade-off is the flexibility.

14. Heinz

Short answer - yes.

Only a few Intercity trains require seat reservation. Most times you can just rock up, buy ticket from vending machine or counter. You can also get quite good discounts pre-booking online. eg. Austria

The regional trains are very easy. They usually have special baggage sections for bikes where there are racks to store skis vertically. Oddly though some of the newer intercity express trains eg. Railjets in Austria can be a bit more challenging - normal luggage space is fine, but they tend not to have racks for skis, so I usually put them in overhead rack.

Kletterer likes this.
  15. Kletterer

The Lokalbahn we took from Zell am See and Zillertal bahn had better space and easier to move about. Probably evolved this way to facilitate the skiing visitor. Some of the Railjets have quite a narrow corridor to get through with luggage and skis simultaneously. Usually need to do 2 laps to seating area. The social aspect can be quite pleasant as well. A pity that the Eurail pass is not as economical as it was years back.

Whiteman, Kimski and Heinz like this.
  16. Heinz

Eurail pass was good if you were doing several long haul trip. Doesn't really work with a ski trip. Also it is only for first class travel, so you normally save by just getting 2nd class tickets which is fine in most parts of Europe. The old Eurail youth (u26) for 2nd class travel was great value (but that was a very long time ago).

You can get various multi-country passes which could work ok if you are skiing & sightseeing. But these days for ski trips it is pretty easy to save by pre-booking individual trips online or phone app. There are also some bus companies eg Flixbus that do some very cheap fares and have wifi, but I still prefer train.

17. Heinz

Railjets once you are in are very comfortable. Have good info screens with next destination and speed etc.

Whiteman and Kletterer like this.
  18. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would concur with others in that car rental is not required unless you really need it and have plenty of cash. The trains are just sensational in all winter sports countries, so too are the major bus companies and prices are great. If you are travelling in a group of 4 or similar, perhaps car rental is better? Rome2Rio app or on-line has always proved spot on in terms of timetables and approximate costs, so you can 'wing it' as long as you don't want to travel on public holidays, friday afternoon, monday morning etc when the locals are maxxing out the service. Due to variable snow conditions, I rarely book anything other than first night and last nights - everything else is mood and weather dependent, though I do avoid holiday periods.

19. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
    We are a family of four so the cost of the car will be negated slightly.
    I would prefer not to have to hire a vehicle but we want to spend some time in Aosta and try various ski hills and check out some points of interest in that vicinity. Unless I've got it wrong the car is the only way to go?

20. Kletterer

Saturday is changeover day. Can get quite busy on the roads. There are Lorry restrictions also. In Austria - infocentre-item-action

Whiteman likes this.
  21. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

We will not be driving in Austria if all goes to plan. We will catch the train to Milan railway station and collect a car and drive the couple of hours to Aosta town. We will have the car for 5 or 6 days. That should give some options depending on weather. Pila is the backup should the weather be terrible but Courmayuer, La Thuille, Cervinia, Champoluc are all within about an hours drive. Am I simplifying this too much? We've done the drive from Jackson to Targhee in snowy conditions as a day trip for example. Also driven Vancouver to Whistler, South Lake Tahoe to Squaw, Salt Lake City up Little Cottonwood Canyon, Banff to Sunshine/Lake Louise, 395 to Mammoth etc in snowy conditions.
    Does the driving in Europe (Aosta region) have any big differences to driving in North America? Am I underestimating the degree of difficulty?
    Thanks again.

22. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Can anyone offer some advice on insurance for car rental in Europe please?
    The insurance the car hire mobs offer are ridiculously expensive. Do the policies you can buy online (for a fraction of the cost) cover you in the event of an accident?
    I can handle having to pay an excess of $5000 if it's possible for that excess to refunded by insurance some day/weeks later.
    The most important thing is cover in the event that I run over some poor pedestrian. I don't want to have a court rule that I have to pay $1000000 of my hard earned to the family of the poor victim.
    Thanks in advance.

23. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We recently used a service called 'mydaytrip.com' from Munich Airport to Saalbach. A very good service. Picked up at the airport, driven through heavy Saturday traffic and dropped off right at the hotel door. The Saturday change over traffic was painful because of the Dutch school holidays and sooo many NL cars on the road.

We also went back to Munich the same way from Zell am See. Saves a lot of hassles with car parking restrictions etc. etc.

Kletterer and piolet like this.
  24. piolet

Some of those are only excess reduction policies. Read carefully

25. andrew7

andrew7 Hard Yards

We rented with Europcar out of Venice: rate for a mid size was very reasonable particularly as I refuse to pay extortionate insurance excess (I paid with Gold/Plantinum Visa which reduces excess to ? $1,500). Of interest to you guys, we drove from Venice to Courmeyer where we spent a few days skiing at the tail end of our trip (had 10 days in Zermatt at the beginning). Courmeyeur is a charming little Village with some good bars/restaurants and a compact but enjoyable ski area with stunning views of Monte Bianco (compact v Zermatt and other big euro resorts). We enjoyed having a car as we also drove to Chamonix for a day skiing, and on our return to Milan (where we flew home from) we stopped off at Aosta and wondered around the town/Roman ruins and had lunch. I'd prefer to stay in a ski town versus say a city such as Aosta which whilst lovely in the old town was but a bit shabby from mid town and lacked the charm of Courmeyer/Chamonix etc..

26. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

That's what we're planning to do basically. We'll train it to Milan and collect a car from there though. Thanks for the tip on staying at Courmayeur. I guess we could also consider La Thuille too. Did you find the tolls on the highways expensive?
    I'd still like to know that I'm covered for public liability though. Having to pay $5000 excess is not nice but having to defend a couple of million dollar claim is life changing bad.

27. Kletterer

We did the same. Well worth it.

Whiteman likes this.
  28. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

Never too early to start planning :D

In fact, I’m currently looking at options for what will probably be a 2020 trip. As I’m on a budget I’m considering staying in a cute little 2 star hotel in Bourg St Maurice for a week instead of staying on snow. I’ve stayed there before and it’s pretty close to the funicular to Les Arcs. I can also take the bus to La Roserie, Tignes or Val D for the day.

Kletterer likes this.
  29. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I like that idea. Any chance you could shoot a link to the accomodation? I'm planning a twenty year (2020) anniversary trip sans kids and it will be in March. Either the area you're talking about or Epic resorts in Colorado are the options.

30. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

Not sure it’s anniversary trip worthy but the place is called ‘Hotel Arolla’ in Bourg St Maurice. Close to the train station and also to a number of good restaurants. I often eat my main meal for the day at lunch while skiing so I really don’t need a 3-4 course dinner. The funicular up to Les Arcs is included in the lift ticket and doesn’t take too long.

Love France but Colorado would be awesome as well. I haven’t made it to North America yet.

31. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Yeah, I am in the middle of planning the same thing with my wife and 3 teenage daughters. Middle daughter is pumped about the skiing, the others could take it or leave it. (The kids have only skied Baw Baw for 2 days...they don't know what they are in for!) We are flying into London mid Dec and are looking to ski that same weekend Sbooker. 5th-12th Jan. After hours of research I am looking at Les Arcs 1950, Val D, Alberg Austria and Åre in Sweden. Really we want the best chance of snow and ski-in-ski-out accommodation. Any further suggestions would be more than welcome. This is it for us. First and last big O/S trip for the family.

32. Heinz

That is trying to cover a fair bit of ground. How long are you going for all up? Any particular season for heading up to Sweden? I think you'd be better off sticking to the Alps. If they have only skied Baw Baw they are in for a massive shock. There are plenty other good options, but would need to know what sort of things you prefer.

33. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Hi Heinz,
    That should've read "Val D ......or....Sweden instead of....and...." I am looking at one of those options for the week starting 5th of January. I was looking at Åre in Sweden because we plan on spending a week in Norway at some point. Would prefer a good layer of snow in the village (ski-inski-out) and options for tree skiing. The wife and I have skied Big White, Sun Peaks and Saas-Fee and prefer skiing in trees where possible. The girls only have 2 days under their belts so somewhere with some easy pistes would be a must. We only booked Europe instead of N.America because of the cheap airfares. $1100 return in December/January is crazy.

34. piolet

Very dark in åre in Jan
    How flexible are you?

35. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I have skied in Åre most years and really enjoy it. The place is great, nice village type feel. The people are amazing and speak better english than well...english people. :D It is about a 30 minute drive from the Norwegian border so you can invade Norway quite easily!
    Last year we went around the 9th of march. The weather was about -10 in the early mornings, rising to 8-9 in the afternoon. It snowed most days. One minute bluebird, the next snowing like crazy to the extent I could not see anything, then back to bluebird. But the skiing was really nice. When the weather warmed up, the snow was really nice but when it got colder in the evening, It never froze to bullet proof.
    This year we went in January on the 12th for 10 days. The average temp was -22. It is a different type of cold though, you only really feel it really on exposed skin. The cold weather keeps the slopes in really nice condition.

Åre is made up of several ski hills with the terrain mainly what they class as red slopes. There is also green, blue and black slopes with off piste available.
    Duved - 9km from Åre By (main village area). It has one main chairlift and is linked to Tegefjäll by t-bar lifts. These can be quiet tiring towards the end of the day as some of them are quite long. the terrain is quite fun though when you get over the other side. Not much ski in/out accommodation there but accommodation is close to the slopes.
    Tegefjäll - One main chairlift lots of t-bars fun terrain. Ski-in/out accommodation.
    Åre By - main ski area. Lots of chairs here not as many t-bars and you can get around there without using them unless the close the lifts due to high wind. This area links to Åre Björnen. - plenty of ski in/out accommodation but it is the most expensive part to stay in due to it being the main village. You can however pick quite decent accommodation for a bargain. Swedes have no issues with walking around here and will gladly walk 10 minutes to get to a lift.
    Åre Björnen - Nice area to be as a family if going out a lot is not a necessity. Chair lifts to get around except to some of the residential areas and then it is not a tiring t-bar ride. There are several residential areas here. Sadelvägen, Örnen, copperhill, Övre Hermelinen etc.
    We stayed in Sadelvägen for 10 days from 12th January. great ski in/out here.

Most of the accommodation is self catering. Eating out can be expensive depending what you want and drinking definitely is.

Do not go there expecting a similar thing to the Alps here though or anything like Big white. There are plenty of places to ski, around 103 runs but it only has a peak of 1420m and a max vertical of around 890 meters. I love the place and it has enough for me to keep coming back.
    There is plenty of tree skiing but the snow is more dense than in say Japan and North America plus the trees are more densely packed. That does not put the crazy swedes off from flying through them though.
    Plenty of places to dabble off piste in most of the ski areas. You are able to go off piste from the back of the mountain and ski all the way back round to the village at the front.

https://www.skistar.com/ - main accommodation booking for Sweden and Norway. Also do lift passes & ski rental.

#35 LilaGris, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Hyst, person s and RubberJohnson like this.
  36. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

9am the lifts open it is light, it starts to get dark around 3:30pm. If i remember, the main lifts close around then.
    I forgot to add, avoid February 5th-17th in 2019. The FIS Alpine World Ski Championships are being held there on these dates.

37. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks LilaGris, that's a great review of Åre. I have watched a few youtube clips of the skiing there. It looks like seriously hard packed snow most of the time. Coming from Perth that cold does worry me a bit. I have tentatively booked somewhere there but have until Dec 5th to cancel it without penalty.

38. piolet

"Light" at 9am

Twilight at best, right?

39. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Your welcome.
    Hard packed but not icy :) They have serious piste machining there. They even go out in the morning sometimes before the slopes open.
    As for the cold, as long as you layer up you don't feel it. I wear a base layer a goose down liner and a shell jacket, with mid layer leggings and shell trousers. I am never cold there in January. It is a dry cold so as long as you layer up, you don't really feel it. It feels colder in the UK at 3 degrees than it does there at -25.
    When it snows in January it does not really dump. But the weather system up there can be a bit crazy at times.

person s likes this.
  40. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

No, it is actually light.
    You may be thinking further North like Kiruna. In summertime, it does not get dark there at all but winters can be dark for around 3 months.
    The Swedes up North call anything local as 'within a wolfs shout' :D
    The further north you go, the darker it gets. I ordered a jacket from Peak Performance in Åre. They said it was in the next main town (Luleå) and would have to be delivered. I offered to go and pick it up and was told it was an 8 hour drive. From there it is another 7 to 8 hours to Kiruna. The furthest North skiing resort is called Riksgränsen I think. That is in the arctic circle.

piolet and person s like this.
  41. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Why do you choose it over the Alps?

42. Heinz

There isn't much North American type tree skiing in Europe. Forest areas areas are largely protected for the wildlife particularly in Austria.

43. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

The people mainly. Cost etc. Over in Sweden you pay for the accommodation not per person. if a house costs 800 euros to rent and sleeps 10, it is 800 euros whether you have 1 person staying there or 10. Åre has a great vibe to it.
    The swedes are born on skis. Some of the 6 yr olds can run rings round you. You don't get as many beginner skiers to crash into :D They are a great people too. In my trips to the Alps mainly Austria I found that it was a bit pretentious. How you looked was a big thing. I loved the skiing don't get me wrong and the length of some runs are crazy. but If I can go to Åre for 7 days, with flights accom, passes, ski rental and car rental for around $3200 AUD it beats the alps hands down.
    The snow quality in Åre is normally better than the alps in January. I have not experienced bullet proof slopes in Sweden but I have the alps. However, I cannot speak for the resorts I have not been to :). I know people who go to the alps year in year out and have a great time

#43 LilaGris, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  44. Heinz

I was thinking that also. Narvik in Norway doesn't start lifts until10am all season even though by April the daylight hours are long, but in January it would be dark. But then Narvik is a fair way north. Temps can be quite cold up that way though mid winter.

45. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

True. I meant places like vermont etc Swedish ski treeing is mainly dodging dense pine trees in places:D You can pick paths through though.

46. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Some pics from January this year. The more twighlight ones are around 3:30pm. This is the Sadelvägen area. 2 views from the apartment we stayed in and one picture with snow piled around the houses from the outside of the apartments.

Attached Files:

Whiteman, 2ESki and person s like this.
  47. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I
    They do a good quality T shirt, thrashed but still a fav

Hyst and LilaGris like this.
  48. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

haha I bet that has seen some apres ski!

Gimp likes this.
  49. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Better confess, I swapped a Byron Bay T with a Swede in Japow years ago.

piolet and LilaGris like this.
  50. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

was the Byron Bay T in just as good condition?