1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2018/19 Europe ski trip.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sbooker, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ha, Are has been flogged fossicking. And a mate has a print business in Byron so no better

LilaGris likes this.
  2. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

thanks for this
    I may be going there early 2019, so I’m casting around for info
    do you go there from Stockholm or via Norway?

3. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I fly into Stockholm as I meet my partner there. We either drive from there, staying over a night in one of the towns about 3 hrs from Åre or fly up to Östersund Airport and take a car from there. There are trains from both Stockholm and Östersund though. I try to fly SAS from Manchester for this journey as I don't have to worry about checking my luggage in and out at Stockholm. The connecting flight from Stockholm to Östersund is with SAS also.
    There are international flights to Trondheim Airport in Norway. It is about a 2hr drive from there.
    If you go in January, I would recommend going midway through either weekend of the 12th or 19th. The season starts around November till the beginning of May. They have plenty of snow cannons too.

4. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

But speed in Germany if you get on the Autobahn!

Whiteman and piolet like this.
  5. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

One thing to add about European skiing. This year was an extraordinary year for skiing in France, Switzerland etc. It has been the best skiing for over 10 years. Some European resorts have been experiencing no snow right into January up until this year. If early season skiing in the Alps, pick resorts that are at altitude: Cervinia (Italy), Val Thorens (France) etc or with a Glacier; Sölden (Austria), Val d'Isère, Tignes (France) are a couple of examples.

piolet likes this.
  6. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I was in Trysil over New years once. The days were short.
    I do want to ski åre though it does look gorgeous

LilaGris likes this.
  7. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

If you liked Tyrsil, you will like Åre. The North of Sweden is a beautiful place. Much more laid back than Stockholm. I would happily live there.

Hyst likes this.
  8. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

They are amazing pics, so beautiful. The light is so different to Perth! Yeah, the snow quality looks pretty good. I have read that the wind can really whip up there in January and that it can close the top half of the mountain for days on end. Did you experience that?

9. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

What's driving like in Sweden/Norway? I have very little snow/ice experience.

10. piolet

Fun on the back roads!
    Main roads are well cleared for the most part

11. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

I imagine it’s similar to Iceland in winter.
    Hire a 4WD with studded tyres.

LilaGris likes this.
  12. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That happened when they hosted the World cup finals a few weeks ago. Temps were cold (around -20C) which was actually perfect for racing - keeps the course icy. But the week was plagued by high winds. They actually had to cancel the GS slalom races on the last day. Wind regularly disrupts speed events as they start higher but I can't recall a slalom ever being cancelled due to wind.

13. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I'm going to Pampovoro in Bulgaria for interski in March. Then I'll make a trip to Montebelluna to visit the Andrew Factory and get measured up for a pair of Leather Telemark Boots in a style which hasn't been mass produced since the 90's.

[​IMG]

Then probably a dash north into the Dolomites for a bit of a tour.

Kletterer and piolet like this.
  14. driz

driz Hard Yards

I went to Åre in 2014 (review here). It was alright, but I certainly wouldn't fly all the way from Australia for it. Lots of drags, lots of wind, not that much snow.

Mains roads are well cleared and you'll get a car with studded winters probably. You don't need a 4WD.

15. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Nice weird retroweirdness!

Kletterer likes this.
  16. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks for the review. I have had a look at their snowfall stats. Not great...and it is quite expensive to get there too. We are spending a week or so in Norway but getting from say Bergen to Åre is two flights and a drive and costs heaps. I am concerned about booking Les Arcs or somewhere in Austria and skiing strips of man made surrounded by dirt and rocks. I wish I could go later in the season but alas its not possible.

17. piolet

They get less snow than the Alps but it stays in better nick due temps, usually.

Studded tyres are becoming less of a thing, perhaps not in the true north. They really shred the roads.

LilaGris likes this.
  18. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I experienced bad fog one day that closed one lift that side of the mountain. As you can see from some of the pics, the other side is sunny :) Depending on which side you are on, if it is foggy or windy one side it should be ok the other. I have never experienced any problems for days on end though. Of the 9 days in January the main lift on the Sadelvägen side was closed for a few hours in the afternoon but the lifts on the village side were working.
    If that lift does close they have a t-bar that can take you half way up.
    The lift that takes you to the top of the mountain on the main village side where the FIS world cup race was this year, was open every day as far as I could see from looking over.

19. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

If you have a volvo 4 wheel drive it sticks to the road like glue. I had a Skoda superb this time round and it was fun going round the corners from the main road into the resort. Back end went all over the place. I will post some pics of the main road and the resort roads.

20. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I had a XC90 with winter tyres last year and it was fine but this year, I had a Skoda with winter tyres and studs in the tyres. Back end still went on corners up to the resort but I was trying to do that :cool:

21. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Plent of people drive there with 2 wheel drive but they are locals to that kind of weather. They wont give necessarily give you studded tyres unless you ask for them.
    You must not have stayed in the main village then because there are minimal drags there?
    You can get around without using one drag lift in the village area. And from Bjornen to the main village area can be done without drags too. Duved and Tegefjäll have a lot.
    As I said, January this year the wind was not a biggie. There was plenty of snow as you can see from my pics. I skied every day in January this year and march last year. Åre does get hit by 4 weather fronts though.

However, if you are looking for powder like Japan or knee deep, (unless off piste, although the snow is more dense), Åre is not the place to go. If you want some nice skiing and a great vibe, apres ski if you want it, you will like it.

#71 LilaGris, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  22. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Find a High Altitude resort or a Glacier resort

23. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

They have studded tyres on cars in Stockholm but the snow is not as reliable there. Sometimes in Starts snowing in Stockholm in October other years later. It snowed over half a meter in Stockholm March this year.

Attached Files:

24. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

5th pic is the resort road where we stayed. One of the pics of them is the main E14 dual carriageway, that is the most cleared road. Back roads can be just pure ice but they have plows go out ore than twice a day (locals get paid a fortune to do it) and lay small gravel type stones on the roads for grip.
    The next couple are views where we stopped on the road between Östersund and Åre.
    The pic of me lying in the snow is March last year.

Attached Files:

RubberJohnson and person s like this.
  25. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

When we got to our apartment there was over a meter of snow on the balcony. Couldn't get out. But they really look after the pistes. Nice and compact. Norway is expensive in general. I can fly from Manchester to Stockholm, Stockholm to Östersund return for around $400 AUD return.

If you are concerned about snow in Austria, hit somewhere like Solden which is a Glacier resort. They get quite a bit of sun there though and when we went to Obergurgl in January 2018, some of their slopes were bulletproof yet at Solden, down at the village it was a bit slushy.

26. driz

driz Hard Yards

I was in the main village, but from there you've got... VM6, VM8 as the only two decent lifts? The Sadeln area is pretty flat and not particularly big, the high zone is infrequently open and when I was there at least, suffering from very poor snow coverage, and rodkullen is all drags and flat again.

Arguably I got very unlucky with snow in 2014, so YMMV.

I would probably describe it as a bit like perisher, if you stuck Mt Perisher on top of Blue Cow, and then only opened Mt P 40% of the time because of the wind and ice.

27. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

"Are" in Sweden.. Are you serious? what's with the Swedish hijack in this thread? If you want snowfall/depths similar to Buller but with 3h less daylight and 10-20 deg colder go for it. There's a reason Swedes sit on a bus for 24h en masse to get to the Alps....

Sensible advice: Flying from Aus so why not just go from the smallest resort in Aus to the biggest resort in the world (i.e. the 3 valleys in France). Get a chalet in Meribel (which is for the accom not per person) and go nuts. It has every facility, ski in ski out, plenty of snow at the bottom (1400m), long season etc. It even has *free* beginner ski lifts and runs.

Whiteman, Zeroz and piolet like this.
  28. piolet

And less Stockholmers! LOL

29. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I've not skied in Europe yet but I can't help but feel the same. So many iconic options in France, Austria, Italy.

LilaGris likes this.
  30. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

It is not for everyone and people are right about Europe. A lot of places in Europe now are linking resorts together so they are huge.
    Go to Solden if you want to ski where Spectre was filmed. Going to Cervinia in Italy will allow you to get across to Zeermat in Switzerland by Gondola.
    The Arlberg pass gives you access to Lech and Zurs as well as St Anton.

If I was coming all the way from Australia, I would most likely head for somewhere in Europe before Åre. For me, Åre is cheaper by far than the alps resorts, convenient and less hassle.

31. Hermannator

This is because you live in Sweden or are there anyway?

32. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

No, I am in the UK

33. Telemark Phat

Bad Life Choice.

34. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

it’s a thread about Europe next northern winter

shabu_shabu and LilaGris like this.
  35. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

I wish I could blame it on a life choice. Unfortunately I did not have the choice. I blame my mum LOL My dad had the chance to move to Australia when we were wee. She did not want to go :mad:

Telemark Phat likes this.
  36. Telemark Phat

Use that Schengen Passport while you can!

Hyst, piolet and LilaGris like this.
  37. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

I only contemplated Åre because we are going to be in Norway and it often pops up in the "sh*t, you really wanna ski that early in the season? Ok, then you should look at these resorts..." articles. It would kill me more than anything to book somewhere in the alps and be doing this:

ttn likes this.
  38. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

haha! Nice.
    I have dual nationality :thumbs:

39. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

And in English? :D

40. Hermannator

Yes, agreed early season in the alps can be sketchy. Hence recommendation of a high-altitude resort like the 3V (esp the Val Thorens end). Personally I'd not bother whilst in Norway or if really itching just do a daytrip and then wait till you get to the alps.

LilaGris likes this.
  41. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks for that. Yeah, I am thinking we might just book in one of the smaller resorts in Norway for a few days over Xmas and enjoy a White Christmas and then look at the Alps for that 2nd week in Jan. We will be in Bergen the week leading up to Xmas anyway.

42. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Well I hope you have a great trip whatever you choose to do :)

43. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks mate. Still a little up in the air but I'll keep looking around.

LilaGris likes this.
  44. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You could maybe look at Geilo. It is roughly halfway between Bergen and Oslo and the train stops there so easy to access. In 1994 after the Olympics and a visit to Bergen I hopped off the train on the nway back to Oslo for a few hours skiing there. Nothing outstanding, but ok for a quick trip. You can also go cross country skiing in Bergen itself.

45. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

One of them will be useless next year :p Thank god for the irish.
    And thank you, the name means purple pig in Swedish LOL which it seems like you knew?

46. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Always lived there or how did you end up there?

47. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

Booking VT again for mid Jan next year. I'd wait and book the skiing a week before we go (we're in the UK for 2 weeks before hand so would do it then), but wife doesn't like uncertainty, so VT it is. Altitude means snow is usually OK even on bad years, plenty for the kids to do outside of skiing and good value.

48. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Yeah, I have looked at VT too.
    I am torn between booking now and waiting. Have decided to just do a day trip or two in Norway in December then save it up 5th-12th of Jan. The main issue I have is that we have 3 teenage daughters, so finding accommodation last minute might be a problem. The "free cancellation" policies generally run out at in Nov/early Dec so, its even tricky to book them and know whether to cancel at that time.

49. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

You’ll generally be pretty safe with VT - the altitude means you’re in a good spot. Also decent value. Your dates aren’t bad - UK and France school holidays will be pretty much done by then so better options and value to be had! We’ll be getting in on the 12 so might pass you on our way up!

If you do go VT the guys at Zenith are unbeatable for ski hire and service. I can also recommend a great guide/instructor. Let me know.

50. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks. I have had a couple of quotes from Obergurgl too. One was for $5300 for 5 if us and included breakfast and what looks like a pretty amazing buffet dinner. Bl00dy expensive though.