1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2018/19 Europe ski trip.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sbooker, Mar 5, 2018.

1. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

$1060 pp full board doesn’t look expensive to me

2. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

Air BnB is worth a look. Also Homeaway. You’ll pay way less than that.

3. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

After watching this I think I'll have to go to Kosovo after Bulgaria.

piolet and Kopite like this.
  4. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Ok, I have found a large 2 bedroom apartment in Les Arcs 1950 for the 2nd week of January.
    It's a resort (indoor pool, spa, sauna etc...) around $2300 for 5 pax for 7 nights. It looks like a pretty safe bet snow wise. We want somewhere that isn't predominantly open bowl skiing (eg: Solden, VT or Val D)....somewhere with some variety.
    I thought about waiting it out till December but that could be risky..if it was just the two of us fine but 5...not sure.

Anyone got experience with Les Arcs at that time of year?

5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Not personaly but a mate did 6 seasons there as well as 3 Valleys and the big D - work and play It was his favourite area . Needs good cover for off piste to become skiable early but depends on the season. Generaly good piste conditions up high gauranteed by then. One comment i remember well is bad weather days are a hassle there- rule La Plagne out . Just go and discover. Its a huge area and you have a good accom price quoted.

RubberJohnson and Kimski like this.
  6. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Les Arcs 1950 2nd week of January absolutely fine. It’s high and snow sure. My dad skied there in pre-Christmas and most of the resort was open. I have skied that week in Jan at Les arcs 3 times. Great piste skiing, snow will be no problems and good location to be based. Massive ski area and even if there hasn’t been much snow there will be huge amounts of skiing open as it’s high with snow cannons. Only downside with 1950 is it’s a long way from the link lift to La Plagne but you can just head over early if you fancy a day there. If you like red runs definitely head to Vallandry/peisey near the link to La Plagne as there are great tree lined red cruisers

#106 LDJ, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. LDJ

Also the top of Les arcs above Arc 1950 the aiguille rouge is over 3000m has stunning views and the black/red down to villaroger at 1200m or so is an epic scenic leg burning decent. They also have a flying KM at Arc 2000 where you can straightline it in spandex (optional) at crazy speeds

RubberJohnson likes this.
  8. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Thanks for that. Good stuff.
    Yeah, I think I will just book and then I won't have to worry about it. We have a week before that and will be in Switzerland and Austria so we might do a day somewhere else too if it looks good.

9. ThisAlpineLife

ThisAlpineLife First Runs

Hi there,

It's a few months since you made your post, but I saw you had an enquiry about Kaltenbach. I live in Zillertal and ski in HochZillertal (Kaltenbach) every winter. It is a great choice for a few days of skiing.

Visiting in December before Christmas will give you a big bonus of having most of the pistes to yourselves but the snow will be hit and miss. The past december 2017 there was enough natural snow and the pistes were great, in December 2016 there was no natural snow, but it was cold enough all december for the snow cannons to do the job. The only minus about artificial snow making is that it can make the pistes harder and a more icy. As you mentioned there is Hintertux, yes - definately snow sure! You just need to be aware that from around Kaltenbach, Hintertux is a 45 minute drive each way. And by public transport (train to Mayrhofen, and then bus from Mayrhofen to Hintertux) it will take about 1,5 hour each way. An other option is to ski at Mayrhofen (Penken) which is a great ski area also, and if you need to get really high at Penken then you can go with the 150er Tux up to the higher plateau.

As for high and low season in January I can only offer my experience from Zillertal, but I will guess it is the same for most of Europe. As a general rule January is less busy after the Christmas and New year travellers return home, but in the winter just finished the pistes where busy all winter - there was only a busy and more-busy time. I think that this was due to easter being early in Spring and all people need to have there holiday inside a shorter season. Also more skiiers had moved their holiday to the first week in January instead of coming here between Christmas and NYE. The first peak season in Zillertal starts the first Saturday before Christmas Eve.

If you have any other questions about Zillertal feel free to send me an email - tina@thisalpinelife.com

RubberJohnson likes this.
  10. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

So we're starting to close in on our trip. We can now book train tickets. Any tips for best places to do that? We'll need Munich to Kaltenbach. Kaltenbach to Verona. Bolzano to Innsbruck and Innsbruck to Munich.
    Is there one site that is best for these?
    Thanks in advance.

11. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Jacko4650 likes this.
  12. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

13. Heinz

14. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Man, waiting to finally see some decent snow falling is killing me. Numerous times it appears in the forecasts and charts then disappears.

15. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

To satisfy @Heinz and @Kletterer we have decided to try Saalbach-Hinterglemm on a risky Christmas holiday. Don't hope mountain boots turn out better equipment than skis.

If not Chrismast at home I think Austria would be the right spot for Christmas, when going skiing (hopfully) as well.
    Daughter got exited about off piste in Fieberbrunn - but probably to early in the season for that. Anyway it's not for me.
    (To get her along - I told her it's just like Japan )

No snow to be seen so far:
    https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/livecams

And as Austria plans to issuing pasports to Italians in Südtirol we do not hope the first WW museum is going to be recommissioned and we get blown up coming down the Marmolada glacier later in the season, when going to Val Gardena.
    In the Sella area in mid February I am not concerned about the snow.

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/dantercepies-live/
    https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/marmolada/webcam

Already now I get exited -

piolet, Kimski, Kletterer and 2 others like this.
  16. Heinz

Hyst likes this.
  17. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Good stuff @Hyst . Hope you get lucky with some good conditions/ timing. Just remember that most of the offpiste in the Skicircus is on grassy alpine pastures that dont need a great deal of cover to be skiable. Saalbach- Hinterglemm basicly has 6 offpiste zones( not counting 2 that are frowned upon :oops:) within easy reach of lifts and a few more with a bit of skining.

Hyst likes this.
  18. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

It is very very early so no need to fret about lack of snow just yet.
    Start looking at webcams from December 15. If there is none then - start stressing.:)

19. LDJ

I concur. I can’t remember if it was 2 or 3 years ago and there was pretty much nothing and then it dumped about a metre or so just before we arrived in late December. Also it’s supposed to snow heavily this week

20. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

I showed the video to my daughter and she said looking forward to ski on that run when we are there :D

Hyst likes this.
  21. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi all... this coming season will be my wife and I 5th trip to Japan. My plan in FEB 2020 is to ski in Austria. My father was Austrian my mother German. Mother passed when I was a baby, I was born in Darwin, so I'm pretty true blue. Except for my name. My dad took me to Austria when I was 8, first time I skied, a few years ago..lol. Never been back and embarrassed to admit I know nothing of my parents home land. But for my 60th year Id like to ski Austria. I have been reading your posts with great interest and doing some accom, and airfare research. I was surprised to see that it wasn't that much dearer than going to Japan.
    The skiing in Austria looks huge so a bit overwhelmed on the options. I'm thinking of doing 5-7 days, that's all I have planned..
    Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Manny

22. Heinz

Where to start? Yes Austria covers a large range of budgets - from simple family run pensions (which I prefer) to luxury sport hotels. Day ticket prices are a bit more expensive than Japan, but you can save quite a bit with many different multi-day, multi-area ski passes which Japan doesn't have. Then the resorts themselves are huge and well interconnected with very modern lift facilities.

Are you planning just 1 week skiing as part of a longer trip? seems a pity to go all they way for such a short time. What region was your father from? Where did you go before? Do you have other family connections over there? What sort of experience are you after? Powder, groomers, party vibe? There are far too many good options to list without some filters.

I should add that my background is vaguely in that my parents were Austrian, but I was born in Adelaide and have always lived here. However I have a host of relatives in Austria that I have gone back to visit several times. Initially with long gaps between visits, but in more recent years it has been more regular as I have come to appreciate my Austrian heritage more, apart from the awesome skiing.

Kletterer likes this.
  23. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

My personal tip is buy the air ticket early next year like in March or April if you can. I checked the airfares now and it's 2.5 times dearer than I paid six months ago. We fly out before Xmas and back late Jan. In February from Aust not considered as school holidays period so if you plan right you would get a good deal. A work mate booked fares for Feb 2019 from Syd-LA-London-HongKong-Syd fly with Qantas and Virgin less than $1500. Other guys booked Syd-Zurich less than $1300

24. mannyk

Hi. I'm thinking of about 3 weeks away a week of skiing and some sight seeing and possibly catching up with some long lost relatives. I don't have any connections but my sister has some so I'm hoping for some connection there. Were groomer skiers I'm intermediate my wife is lower intermediate but we always ski the same areas, I'm just a bit faster ..lol Like to enjoy a dink and music but not ragers by any means. 3 star family run pensions is perfect for us. Thinking I might need to hire a car, happy to do that.
    My father was from Linz, the time I was there as a kid we visited my grandparents In a Town called Bad Hall.. I have very fond memories of that area, even as a 8 year old. My grand father worked collecting scrap as I remember. The only English words my grand mother new was "shut the door". Kid from Darwin didn't understand..lol

Kletterer likes this.
  25. mannyk

On line I'm seeing airfares for Feb 2019 for around $1200 out of Brisbane via Singapore 1 stop.to Vienna. This year I'm paying $1000 to Japan.

26. mannyk

We are spending 4 nights in Shiga Kogan for about $650 Au. We are also spending 5 nights in Hakuba for about $1200. I have seen similar prices for areas in Austria.. just don't really know what I m looking at as far as locations ect.
    We have skied, Myoko 3 times, Nozawa Onsen and Goryu in Hakuba.

27. mannyk

We are spending 4 nights in Shiga Kogan for about $650 Au. We are also spending 5 nights in Hakuba for about $1200. I have seen similar prices for areas in Austria.. just don't really know what I m looking at as far as locations ect.
    We have skied, Myoko 3 times, Nozawa Onsen and Goryu in Hakuba.

28. mannyk

I hear ya.. Jet star are the best at it..lol

Hyst likes this.
  29. Heinz

Only had a couple of brief visits to Linz and never been to Bad Hall (had to look it up), but they are well positioned between Vienna & Salzburg and you also have the very attractive Salzkammergut lakes region just to the west and south. So you have a good circuit right there, probably don't need to go any further west. Fly in to Vienna, stay a few days there, west to Linz, tour around the Salzkammergut region, then on to Salzburg, all relatively short trips.

For the skiing it sounds like somewhere like Schladming would suit well or else Saalbach, so you are still in the eastern half of the country. You should be able to get pension accommodation at quite reasonable rates, can include dinners if you want, but if you are somewhere like Schladming it is worth checking out other places for dinners.

You don't really need a car for the most part in Austria, the trains are very good and the ski resorts all have free shuttles, but it may be handy for exploring parts of the Salzkammergut region.

My favourite website for skiing in Austria: https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/

30. mannyk

Thanks heaps Heinz. Much appreciated.. Its going to be tricky with my quite German name when they find out I don't speak the language..lol

31. Heinz

Aber du hast noch viel Zeit zum lernen! :)
    In most places though you should find people will have sufficient English especially in the bigger cities and ski areas
    If you look at accommodation on the bergfex site it does list whether the owners speak english or not.
    But no doubt someone will be bound to give you some stick seeing your name when you can't speak the language. ;)

32. mannyk

Just been looking at the ski area you suggested.. looks perfect...I'm amazed at the quality of the accom and price, I would like to ski in and out if possible..might need to have a week skiing in the beginning and at the end, could be 4 weeks away... lol but its half the fun looking.. thanks again. Hows Feb for snow and crowds?

33. Heinz

If you want ski in & out then you could consider Rohrmoos which is just above Schladming. There are a few places there at around €60-70/night. The thing with those though is that it may be a bit of a walk down into the town, you may want a car if going there. I've always though preferred to stay in the town itself and either had a short walk to the Planai lift or a short trip on the shuttle bus. Then it is also easy to walk around town in the evening as well as getting to the railway station. If you do get car though you can be a bit more flexible and also stay in one of the smaller towns in the valley which may be cheaper.
    https://www.bergfex.com/schladming-planai/unterkuenfte/?searchid=1487008829

The snow should be fine in February. Even in poor snow years they do a great job snowmaking so that the valley runs are always skiable. I've normally been in March and the valley runs are still good. It can be a bit busier, but if it is you could try avoiding the Planai bahn which seems to be the main point of entry for many. Go to Hauser-Kaibling or Hochwurzen instead.

mannyk likes this.
  34. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

So our trip has been and gone and we had a wonderful time. I won’t give a detailed report but will just photo dump a few pics here. Some of you may know some of these spots.
    Thanks to all that gave advice in the planning stage.

Kletterer likes this.
  35. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

36. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us