1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2018 Epic Pass

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Ozgirl, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

What is the difference between an 'epic pass' and a 'full perisher season pass'? From an aussie snow perspective, not so worried about the OS stuff at this stage. Aren't they both 7 days a week full season Perisher passes? Don't understand the apparent inverse price relationship ;)

Sorry I haven't done any research other than peruse this and similar threads in the past. Season passes might be an area of interest for me 2020+ (shudder :) )

2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't believe there is a full season pass. Epic is it.

3. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah right, comments on last page seem to differentiate between 2 passes, 1 <$1k another >$1k ;)

4. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

last August I was in the Smiggins ticket office, and a couple had just arrived and were talking about buying passes
    I think they were there for about 10 days, and the person behind the counter offered them a 'season pass' as the best value
    I guess that might have been Epic

Belly likes this.
  5. Ozgirl

USA pass and Aussie pass. Cost difference is the exchange rate?

I know someone who bought the epic pass a week before season opened last year

skivet and Belly like this.
  6. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

reading this has made me panic about my Epic pass
    I knew I was getting a discount for being old and wretched, but being old and wretched I couldn't remember whether I'd paid my deposit
    have now confirmed that - phew!

oldgeezer, IAB, Ted Harper and 2 others like this.
  7. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba Valley is in!

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  8. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

9. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

despot721 and Belly like this.
  10. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba has joined the epic pass

11. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

only for 5 consecutive complimentary days.

12. Donzah

Yeah.... but its a start... still over 300 bucks value

mick chopps likes this.
  13. mick chopps

absolutely. And if you're going to Hakuba you'd probably only want 5 days resort skiing before jamming it for the BC... ;)

14. Donzah

#familyintow

mick chopps likes this.
  15. mick chopps

exactly.
    "alright, I've going to do real skiing now. goodbye."

16. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

I got the Hakuba email and went YES!, then read only 5 days ... oh, then thought lift tickets in Japan are usually quite cheap and often there are deals with meals included, so after accounting for lunch the saving could be as little as $30 per day. Better than nothing, but not enough incentive to affect a purchasing decision.

Japan is an odd fit for Vail, who like to own the whole mountain, cause the lift companies have no stake in the accommodation, who also have no stake in the ski school, who also have no stake in equipment hire or retail. Meanwhile a few less Aussies may head to the states where Vail's share of the ski dollar is much higher ... not sure I understand the tactics.

17. mick chopps

is it just an arms race to add value given the expansion of that other pass in the States?

18. Donzah

Yeah I think so.
    Vail is now offering deals at places like Telluride, which they don't own. So the model is evolving.

19. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They will sell more Epic Australia passes. For those who already ski perisher 3-4 days a year, and go to Japan, this could tip them into buying the pass. Likewise for thredbo, and Vic customers, could tip them to buy epic pass.

Vail would have researched this fairly well one thinks.

20. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not sure, the kind of rapid expansion Vail is going through at the moment could be fantastic for the industry, but if they collapse...

21. Ralf_Plow

Ralf_Plow One of Us

The big winner is Thredbo 365 holders.

22. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Presumably pulling Telluride and Hakuba away from the Mountain Collective Pass is considered a good move for Vail Corp.

Telluride locals aren't particularly happy with the change to the Epic Pass. They thought being able to get a discount at MCP resorts was more useful than being able to save 50% on Vail resort prices in Colorado. They aren't like to bother to drive to Tahoe. But from what I saw last week during my first look, what Telluride has to offer matches well with people who like other Vail resorts. Pretty clear locals recognize it's probably a smart business move. The announcements all emphasize that the agreement is long term.

23. Donzah

I wonder what other resorts will move towards this? I've got a feeling a NZ ski hill or two may be on the agenda for this kinda arrangement.

24. despot721

despot721 One of Us

25. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The resorts that are added as a perk or as a "partner" to a multi-resort pass seem to come in two flavors. The first type are destination resorts like Telluride that can be a draw and an incentive for someone shell out a few hundred dollars for a pass well before snow conditions are predictable. The Ikon pass Partners such as Snowbird, Alta, Jackson Hole are also the first type. The second type are smaller ski areas that might have enough people who don't buy a local season pass but would be interested in some days locally in addition to a trip or two to big mountains on the multi-resort pass. For instance Vail bought three small ski areas near the Chicago and Detroit markets a few years ago.

Not sure how NZ hills would fit in as a perk or potential market.

There are a few reciprocal agreements in the U.S. where a season pass holder gets a few days free at other ski areas. The locations are pretty widely scattered geographically, but usually a few are within a day's drive.

All the cooperative agreements came after Vail created the Epic pass concept.

26. chicski

There is a FAQ on it, retired and family are more expensive, closer to child prices.

27. despot721

despot721 One of Us

Is that on the Perisher site ?

28. chicski

No I think I read it on the USA site. It may be that you have to buy it via Epic and it’s valid for USA 2018/19 and Perisher 2019.

despot721 likes this.
  29. Donzah

That's correct.
    Six march.

despot721 likes this.
  30. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

this is link

https://www.epicpass.com/info/military.aspx

31. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Retired in US context means recieving a pension, normally served more than 20 years. Veteran means left before 20 years service with an "honourable" discharge. In Australia there is no such thing, there is just discharge or transfer to reserves.

Retired still get the $99 pass, Veteran is the more expansive one. So if Despot721 is collecting a service pension (DFRDB or similar) then he and his dependents (spouse and under 18 kids) might be eligble for the $99.00 pass. However reading the FAQ it suggests that will be only current ADF members and their dependents will be eligble.

From the FAQ

What if I am a service member or dependent in Australia or Canada?
    Service members and their dependents from Australia and Canada will be eligible for the Military Epic Pass offering. They are not included in the Liberty Pass offering. Details on military eligibility for Australian and Canadian service members will be announced in full later this spring.

So for me it works out at $99 for my pass and then $99 for each of the family. Not too bad I'll be up 396usd or 510aud (+transaction fees).

32. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

33. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Holy shit things are really heating up now.

• The iconic Resorts of the Canadian RockiesFernie Alpine Resort, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort and Kimberley Alpine Resort in British Columbia, Nakiska in Alberta, and Mont Sainte Anne and Stoneham in Quebec—join the Epic Pass beginning with the 2018-19 winter season in a long-term alliance.
    • Epic and Epic 7-Day pass holders will receive seven days and Epic 4-Day pass holders will receive four days of skiing or snowboarding with no blackout dates at the Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, and 50 percent off lift tickets after the seven days have been redeemed.
    • Epic Pass holders can go direct to the lift with their pass at Resorts of the Canadian Rockies and bypass the ticket window.
    • RCR season pass holders, including RCR Rockies Pass, Fernie Season Pass, Kicking Horse Season Pass, Kimberley Season Pass, Mont Saint Anne and Stoneham Season Pass holders will receive 50 percent off lift tickets at all Vail Resorts owned mountain resorts.

34. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I expect further partnerships to be announced for the Ikon Pass too.

And it's good to say ski resort owners spending money on resort improvements.

Copper Mountain Transforms Center Village Guest Experience with the Replacement of Two Chairlifts for the 2018-19 Season

• The Resort Plans to Replace American Eagle with Combination Gondola and Chairlift and Upgrade American Flyer with 6-Person High-Speed Bubble Chair
    • Copper Mountain Season Passes Go On Sale March 6 with Prices Starting at $459
    COPPER MOUNTAIN, Colo. - March 5, 2018 - Copper Mountain, and its parent company, POWDR, today announced continued enhancements to the way guests access the mountain's world-class, naturally-divided terrain. The planned upgrades to replace the American Eagle and American Flyer lifts with high-speed combination and bubble-style lift service are slated to debut for the 2018-19 ski season. Plans to replace the two lifts are subject to U.S. Forest Service approval, and further details will be available in the coming days.

"Replacing our most popular mountain-access lifts will significantly improve how our guests experience some of the best skiing and riding on Copper Mountain," said Gary Rodgers, president and general manager of Copper Mountain Resort. "More guests will be able to get up the mountain quicker to enjoy a variety of easy, intermediate and advanced terrain."

The American Eagle lift, a high-speed quad, will be replaced with a high-speed lift that includes a combination of both 6-person chairs and 8-person gondola cabins. The new lift will increase uphill capacity by over 40 percent, allowing more skiers and snowboarders access to an abundance of Copper's intermediate terrain.

A high-speed 6-person chair with bubble enclosures is set to replace the high-speed quad known as the American Flyer lift, offering a more comfortable ride and greatly increasing uphill capacity. The new lift will primarily serve the easy and intermediate side of the resort's unique naturally-divided terrain and also will provide expedited access to Copper's advanced high alpine bowls.

This announcement is a continuation of Copper Mountain's demonstrated commitment to providing its guests with local experiences and easy access to authentic Colorado adventure.

"New-to-Copper guests and returning passholders have been wowed by what we've been up to over the past season," said Rodgers. "From cultivating regionally-influenced dining concepts like Toast & Co., to opening the new Rocky Mountain Coaster, to revamping our beginner area with the new Kokomo Express Lift, guests now have more reasons than ever to visit, and to stay and play. We look forward to continuing to make Copper the best version of itself for our locals and visitors."

2018-19 Season Passes
    Beginning on March 6, Copper Mountain will once again offer resort season passes starting at $459 with Kids Ski Free. Season passes include unlimited access to Copper Mountain along with three free days at Monarch, Purgatory, Powder Mountain in Utah and Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico. Passholders can also enjoy free skiing and riding at Grand Targhee with the purchase of lodging. To learn more about Copper Season Passes and to purchase, visit CopperColorado.com/passes.

Copper Mountain will also be offering the Copper Four Pack for the 2018-19 ski season. More details will be released in the coming weeks.

Copper Mountain is a proud partner on the Ikon Pass. For Ikon Pass details, visit IkonPass.com.

35. chicski

Nothing yet on what Aussies pass holders get..

36. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I just rang Perisher regarding another matter and asked about the Canadian resorts potentially being added. The lady I spoke to knew nothing about this and thinks it may be the US Epic pass only. Stay tuned, I say ...

Edit: she just called me back to confirm: US only

IAB and chicski like this.
  37. Ozgirl

so the Service mans pass works?

I get confused. the US epic pass works for Australia though doesn't it? So if planning a trip to the US you can buy the US one?

38. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Things are getting ridiculously complex in the Bunningsisation of skiing.

39. chicski

The full US Epic pass gets you Perisher in 2019. I'm on my last Epic Aus pass, so I'm looking for options covered for USA 2018/19. Doesn't look Canada is covered.

40. Ozgirl

But isn't Canada covered in the full US pass?

Not that it sounds like it suits you for next season.

We don't have a Aussie epic pass this season. But if we went to the US 18/19 we could just buy a US Full pass and use it here in 19? and then we could get Canada.

chicski likes this.
  41. chicski

Yes. But I'm trying to get the most use out of my last Aus pass.

Ozgirl likes this.
  42. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

For Canada, I think the deal is :

Australian Epic pass : 10 days at Whistler, then 50% discount on further tickets, some blackout dates. No coverage at RCR resorts. Covers perisher and the following North American season, ie last years 2017 australian pass covers 17/18 NA season

Full USA Epic pass (bought in USA): Unlimited coverage at Whistler. Total of 7 days combined from RCR. Covers North American season, and following Australian season, ie current 17/18 Epic pass covers 2018 Aussie season

However, when you buy the Aussie Epic pass, there is the option to "upgrade" to full Epic pass. I believe this gives the full benefits of the USA epic pass, but with the same dates as the Aussie Epic pass, ie current 2017 pass covers 17/18 NA season.

Think thats is correct, but confusing!

Ted Harper likes this.
  43. Ozgirl

Yes actually I thought i saw that you could upgrade your Epic Australia pass now that you mention it.

@chicski would be good if you could upgrade the 2018 Epic Australia pass and use it in Canada next Nth Hem winter!

44. Donzah

Aisle 18 is tartan ski wear

Zimbooo likes this.
  45. chicski

Or I'll just go back to Colorado when it has snow :)

Ozgirl likes this.
  46. Ozgirl

Well yes I did think that!

You have your whole ski life ahead of you! Canada can wait another season!

chicski likes this.
  47. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Mate of mine who lives in US (Breckenridge to be exact) but is RAN Reservist, got his epic military pass today for him and his kids for the $99 USD price. Has to drop by the office and show his ID card tomorrow to verify it. He is only going to check if they will accept scanned ID cards.

48. chicski

So awesome for you guys!

49. Mils

Mils One of Us

Has anyone not paid for their epic pass after doing the $49 deposit?

On their site they claim they will pull collection agencies on you! Has this actually happened to anyone?

Thanks

50. Donzah

If you never want to buy a multiple day pass again.. . .
    Your name. X