Advice needed 2018 Japan Trip

haydos1

Hard Yards
May 19, 2017
Hey Guys

Planning a trip with mates around early-mid Feb next year. For our first trip to Japan. We are looking to keep it quite cost effective. 3 of us are advanced skiers while the rest will be beginners who will need lessons. Looking to spend 14 days in total in Japan and preferably around 10 days skiing. Any advice on a good resort to ski, accommodation, travel and ski hire/lessons would be greatly appreciated. We will all be flying out from Brisbane.

Cheers

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
There are plenty of threads already on this exact question, best to read and research them. Ski lessons are not cheap in Japan.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
Mid February is Chinese New Year and also the Sapporo Snow Festival - the big Hokkaido resorts will have peak crowds. Stay on Honshu - usually Hakuba, Myoko Kogen, Nozawa Onsen, Shiga Kogen.
Use Google to find accomodation options. Buy airfares when Jetstar (or others) have a sale. Use fee free debit and credit cards (like Citibank Plus & 28Degrees).

Last edited:

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
^ this but also:
Lessons in English would be the most limiting factor. Then the choice comes down to
  • cost - Niseko most expensive so probably count that one out
  • ease of access to and from the other places you want to visit
  • how much English is spoken - first time to Japan you need some. Later trips you cope with places with less English.
Then think about the other things that are important to you. It is different for everyone.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I would look at Hakuba - it's a big place with lots of accomodation options and relatively inexpensive lifts.

Reactions: blowfin

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
3 of us are advanced skiers while the rest will be beginners who will need lessons.
How many in total in your group? Makes a difference with accom options in Japan, self catered apartments are not a option in Japan if you are on a budget, as they didn't exist until westerners started to provide them for westerners...............and those westerner owners are after the higher end of the market. However there is a number of lodges in Hakuba and Myoku with english speakers and lodge supplied supermarket runs, communal kitchens etc etc.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
6-8 people = 2 rooms in lodge style accommodation at Hakuba or Myoko. Both areas have english speaking lessons.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
If you just start randomly googling I'm sure you'll find some great places. I suspect some of the accomodation up toward Goryu in Hakuba would be a bit cheaper, particularly if you look at a backpackers style place. I can think of two or three places that way fitting that criteria, but can't remember the names. They'd suit a large group looking to maximise $$$$ well.

It's been a while and I only visited for dinner, but a place I think it was called "Snowbird" in Goryu looked really quite nice. Based on my one visit I'd definitely stay there. More a B&B/small hotel that one though.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Lessons can't be any worse than at thredbo/perisher?
The point about the lessons is that it limits where you go as only a few places have lessons given in English. So on Honshu it would be Hakuba, Myoko, Madarao, I assume Nozawa Onsen has some and then there is someone somewhere at Yuzawa. They may be others but you would have to hunt around to find them.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Alright, thanks guys. We are willing to put money into accommodation, as long as it doesnt go above 150 a night pp

If you are going over that you'd be wanting to get the best of best service, or a western accom. that has an Aussie bogan leeching you for the convenience. I have stayed in the top top onsen hotel in a famous onsen town including breakfast and dinner and it was $300.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using