2018 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Alex Antipas, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Alex Antipas

Alex Antipas First Runs

I am looking at heading to the 2018 olympics. I was wondering if anyone has any experience from previous olympics or any advise in regards to planning sch a trip.

Is anyone else thinking of going? It would be nice to know some other people over there as it looks like I will probably be travelling by myself!

Thanks in advance⛷

craighelo likes this.
  2. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream
    Ski Pass - Gold

It's in South Korea. I am not that interested in the Olympics myself, but if you are it can be fun! But definitely hop over the Sea of Japan to Honshu or Hokkaido for any skiing.

3. blowfin

blowfin One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I worked for Acer at the 2010 Vancouver games, but I was also living there at the time. I pretty much left Australia with my working VISA (in the middle of the GFC) knowing that the Olympics would provide work in Vancouver, and that was exactly how it turned out. Would you be going as a tourist or as someone trying to work there? I'd probably suggest the latter if you really want to immerse yourself in it. You can wind up at posted at some of the prime venues for the duration of the games, you can also wind up on IT helpdesk at HQ... But, It's a pretty cool thing knowing you've been a part of the whole event.

4. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

@Heinz has attended previous Olympics, I believe.

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I did go to 3 games in the 80's & 90's - Calgary 1988, Lillehammer 1994 & Nagano 1998. Did them as part of ski trips. Enjoyed them all but having seem what I wanted to see, have since preferred to concentrate on my ski trips and haven't really felt the need to go to another.

Can offer a few tips, much will have changed since those days but much I imagine will also still be much the same.

First things for you to consider to start with. I can offer a bit more once you answer some of those.

1. Do you want to dedicate a whole trip to it or combine it with a ski trip?
    I did mine in conjunction with some skiing (not in the games area). You can ski in Korea as well if you want to mark that off, but I would agree with jellybeans, for any serious skiing head across to Japan before or after the games.

2. Do you want to spend the whole 2 weeks or just 1 week? First week or second week?
    I just went for 1 week. First week once, second week twice. This can depends on what events you want to see as per q3. eq. I wanted to watch a downhill race so that meant week 1, but if you want hockey finals then needs to be week 2.

3. What events are you particularly interested in?
    Alpine skiing, x-country, Ice hockey, freestyle, skating etc.
    From that you can work out a rough schedule. Then apply for tickets. keep in mind commute times, so don't try and schedule more than 2 even ts in any one day. Also good idea to have free days to do other things.

4. What other things Korean are you interested in?
    You can do these in between event days.

5. What sort of budget?
    Unless you have a big one you will most likely be staying in a city away from the games area and commuting. I commuted to Lillehammer ftom Oslo and Nagano from Tokyo.

6. Specicalised group tour or independent?
    I booked Lillehammer through a sports tour company and that was good. looked at similar for Nagano and found it very expensive so did it independently with a rail pass much cheaper.

#5 Heinz, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    coolair likes this.
  6. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Stories I've heard from visitors to many olympics over the years is the runs at the host resorts are all but deserted whilst the alpine events are running. Except for the race course/s area itself. Speed events (DH & SG) need a long track, so depending on the layout of the resort you could find there's limited access to some parts of the mountain.

7. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

8. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Hockey will be interesting at this olympics. We are going to see a class of player never seen in the olympics before. The NHL - unquestionably the world's best professional league - is not releasing its players, but this is not a simple return to the all-amateur teams that contested for medals in the pre-Nagano era. The teams will be a mix of unsigned college and junior players along with NHL veterans who are now free agents. Canada has longtime NHLers Rene Bourque, Mason Raymond, Max Lapierre, Gilbert Brule, Chris Kelly and Lindon Vey. These guys have played a total of 5500 NHL games between them, some have won Stanley Cups, World Junior, Spengler Cup. Average team age is 31, reflecting the desire to go with some experienced players. This scene will be played out amongst the various hockey nations as the national federations seek out players who are on waivers from the NHL to add variety to a list of up and coming talent.

I'm looking forward to a blank sheet at this tournament. I think the traditional 'big four' countries (Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia) will be nowhere as dominant over the rest of the field as they have been in the last few Games. For starters, no Team Russia at all. Second, the absence of the NHL turns the spotlight on countries with thriving national pro leagues of their own, since they have fewer players away in the north american big league. Look for big performances from the second tier: Finland, Czech, Slovakia, Switzerland.

The time zone is awful with most games times landing around 3 or 4 am for us on the west coast, but I'll watch as much as I can. PVR is my friend!

essjaywhy and Chaeron like this.
  9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

I have just seen how many of the local businesses in the South Korean Olympic area (snow zone) are protesting at the loss of revenue while the Olympics is being prepared. I empathize with them. It's a bit like when the Federal or State governments carry on about how much money they spend in "the regions" but then use city based contractors, along with their own caterers, on-site accommodation and so on. Of the "millions" being spent, bugger all ends up in the regions. Things are not always as they seem.
    On the brighter side, a good Olympic coverage and favourable weather should translate to increased business in future ski seasons? Fingers crossed?

teckel and Chaeron like this.
  10. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I hope we get some decent ice hockey coverage here - not optimistic

11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

I’ll be at at least 1 game. Will photograph and update if I can get interwebz.

Ozgirl likes this.
  12. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

No doubt there will be plenty of figure skating to make up for lack of hockey...

13. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Curling was the big buzz in town this week. Penticton hosted the Canadian women's nationals and by all accounts did a fine job. Curling is serious business in Canada, with all the big tournaments like nationals, worlds and Olympic trials all covered live. Much pressure on the shoulders of the curlers who will represent at the Olympics, gold is expected. It's an intricate game with amazingly complex tactics and skills, and one of those rare sports where the women's game is just as entertaining to watch as the men's.

Kletterer likes this.
  14. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

There's always a flip side. Calgary's games in 1988 left behind such a wealth of venues for training that most winter sport governing bodies moved their national HQ out west and haven't left since. The speed skating oval is still such a good venue (and the site of dozens of world records) that the oval built for Vancouver 2010 was designed to be only a temporary skating facility. There was no need for a second oval in the west, but the local council wanted a large indoor sport centre, so the freezing plant and grandstand seating were removed shortly after the games. These days, it's doing its intended job as a home for indoor soccer, volleyball and tennis. Calgary Olympic Park, site of sliding sports and freestyle events, is going strong as a multi-sport year-round venue. The bobsleigh and luge teams train there, as do mogul and aerials skiers. There's public night skiing seven days a week. Mountain bikers and BMXers occupy it through summer.

If it's done right, Korea will come out of these games with venues that will help build athletes and teams for a couple of generations to come.

15. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I just came across this story about an abandoned ski resort (seemingly of a fair size) only 60km from where the Winter Olympics are. The photos are great/creepy, and the story is basically about the potential of these newly built venues turning into a white elephant too.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/inside-eer...ar-demilitarised-zone-dmz-south-korea-1658916

Chaeron likes this.
  16. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Good heavens- it looks like it was abandoned in a hurry, too. What a waste ....

17. cookieman

cookieman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Should be a great experience for you to watch our athletes compete at the highest level.
    I suggest you try to get involved in some way.
    I have been part of summer games before and the experience is there for life.

18. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

There was all the usual controversy and apathy blend coming into Vancouver 2010. Media was obsessed with stories about opposition to the games, people who were renting their homes and getting as far away as possible, dire predictions of traffic insanity, lots of negativity. And of course the actual experience was the opposite, the city partied in the streets for a fortnight and the locals were deliriously happy by the end of it all. I suspect most Olympic cities can relate, with very similar trajectories of suspicion-->resistance-->acceptance-->support-->participation-->pride.

19. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I’m looking forward to the Olympics... but...

Snow sports must be one of the only sports where the competitive stuff is actually fairly dull compared to the fun that can be had doing it

20. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

21. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

crackson and Ted Harper like this.
  22. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

23. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Donzah likes this.
  24. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

this might depend on what you like
    I find half-pipe fairly limited but I love downhill, SG, GS and slalom
    the new cross type events are a great new thing but moguls just makes me worry about the competitors’ knees

25. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Had anyone got a trail map or course map that shows the downhill course? I can't find it snanywhe

26. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

I have had the conversation about the relevance of mogul skiing every second time I ride the Ridge Quad Chairlift looking over Accelerator (Perisher) where many international teams practice moguls. The number of 'punters' now skiing moguls gets lower and lower each year and it's in fact easier to access the half pipe at front valley. Both these snow sports require huge bucks to set up properly and based on the small number of participants, they are probably going to disappear? Compare this to the interest in some of the 'racing' sports - jumps, crashes, speed, turns, tactics etc etc and I think this is where the future lies. It's fun. Why not compete? Just look at the number of people that use the track built on North Perisher once it is opened up to the public. Little tackers are being trained on the small course at the bottom of Goats Gully, yet I rarely see kids on the moguls course.
    PS: I will watch the moguls at the Olympics because I've met many of them here at Perisher and they are all very nice people.

27. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I met Toppa once - a very nice guy
    at a post Salt Lake event, my daughter got autographs from a few other stars of a previous generation eg Alice Jones, Rowena Bright
    I will watch women’s moguls because I want to see Britt, whether she wins or not
    Lydia, same
    also every other event with an Australian
    I’ll watch women’s slalom to see whether Mikaela’s life really is a fairytale, and downhill because I want Lindsey to finish her career gloriously but if she doesn’t that’s fine too, because she’s already fantastic
    non-skier spouse will probably want to see some sledding in whichever form is on at that time but my favourite is probably the four person bob
    speed skating, even ice dancing - why not?

28. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

29. cookieman

cookieman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I disagree.
    Mogul courses and events are no more expensive to run, relatively speaking.
    As a spectator sport , they attract larger crowds and are more exciting to watch the whole race than say GS.
    Competitor numbers in Australia are growing for moguls and shrinking in Alpine.
    No bias here as I have kids that compete in both disciplines.

luvthabumps likes this.
  30. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I think his point was Toppas is never open to the public.

Ski cross is eventually

And racing is converted quick smart back to a normal groomed and open run that afternoon

31. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

To change the topic a little, I was interested to see that South Korea has brought in 900 military personnel to replace the civilian security staff after 40 of them apparently came down with Norovirus. Now I'm a cynical old bugger I know, but does it strike anyone else as a very convenient way to get a thousand extra soldiers on the job, when those pesky North Koreans are around?

Chaeron likes this.
  32. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

Dunno but I’m packing hand sanitiser and hand warmers (apparently it’s the coldest Olympics ever). I have visions of me doing a ‘Cool Runnings’ and putting on every clothing item I take the minute I step outside!

33. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

The run in to every olympics has bad press events, whether it be protests from locals using the games as a media stage for their specific protest, or dysfunctional organising committee stories, nightmare traffic, poverty amid the Olympic glitter, or that old classic: "the venues won't be ready in time". Vancouver had a horror event, the death of a luge athlete in a training run the day before the games. This happens at every games, I think the media arrive a few days too early, get bored and have to write about something, anything.

CarveMan and cookieman like this.
  34. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Freestyle skiing/boarding ( which incorporates moguls, aerials, slopestyle, halfpipe and skier / boarder X ) isn't going anywhere in Australia. The number of participants is rising each year, the funding is there and that's where we win medals - both WC and Olympics .

Just yesterday photos were posted on social media of the earthworks that are being done on Chamois at Buller to shape the hill for a full length FIS mogul course as part of a new Olympic training venue for moguls and aerials. Extra snow guns as well to get the course up and running early in the season. Perisher / Toppas will always exist and it's not really as if many punters would actually want to try and ski it ( have you ever stood at the top of it and looked down :eek: ) but now we will have two great facilities. Eventually they'll find a venue for the pool to set up the water jumping facility as well. As far as spectators go ABOM Mogul challenge always draws a big ( relatively speaking ) crowd, more than any other (non Interschools) event in the snow calendar, perhaps only the Cattlemans rail jam gets more due to location and timing.

Can't wait for moguls this afternoon (5pm Vancouver time)

cookieman likes this.
  35. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Freestyle suits Australia really well. The venues are much more compact than alpine and need proportionately less snowmaking and grooming as a result. Played out across a full season of training and competition, this makes freestyle less expensive and allows a longer season for meaningful training. I think the die was cast a few years ago by the national snow sports body to focus on freestyle over alpine. It's better bang for the buck.

36. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Alright - the games have started!

With Aussie on course in mer minutes!

Which one is the official thread for chatter?

37. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

- loving the moguls coverage on J TV... commentary in Nihongo of course, but the footage is excellent!
    Skillzzzz!

Don’t like the Columbia made uniforms of Canada and USA - a snow camo? They just look like they’re dirty.

38. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Lets close this thread

LMB likes this.
  39. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I actually think this is perfect for LMB TR?

40. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

Errr...
    I’ll only be there a few days...

41. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Why? Olympic thread is Olympic.

42. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

So it will still be a TR!!

sara777 likes this.
  43. sly_karma

Ski Pass - Gold

Moguls going well so far. Nice weather, melt-freeze course. Lots of Aussie and Canadian skiers through to finals. I have to cheer that little bit more for Andi Naude because she's an Apex kid.

Chaeron likes this.
  44. 2nd_String_QB

2nd_String_QB Hard Yards

If anyone is keen, we're running an Olympic tipping comp over in the Events and FIS forum. All welcome.

45. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

**** the FIS

46. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Watching this prologue...

You know where channel sevens focus will be

47. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream
    Ski Pass - Gold

Straya. At least not figure skating.

48. vibe++

vibe++ One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Channel 7 focus will be cramming as many ads as possible into the telecast.

49. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

so unbelievably many ads!

50. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

I'm actually impressed so far.

They could have bought better Scotty James footage. .
    But no bruce