1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question 2019/2020 Seasonal Accommodation Hakuba

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Fuzzynz, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Fuzzynz

Fuzzynz First Runs

We’re looking to spend the 2019/2020 season living in the Hakuba area but can’t find any long term furnished rentals (without spending large $$$). Can anyone suggest who to contact or does anyone have a (ideally) 2 bdrm property they’d be happy to rent from late Nov to around the 23rd Feb to a 50+ couple who are meticulously clean? We don’t mind being out of town as we’ll rent/buy a car.

2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Sorry to rain on your parade a little but.....

Somewhat unlikely you will be able to find a place as you describe, you may need to consider staying in staff like accomm, renting a room etc and sharing facilities.

Having said that there are the odd place winter length apartments etc that do come up. Often late in the year when someone buys a place and cant get it licensed in time for the winter. As a guide a 3 bedroom place for the winter is often Y1M plus utilities.

ON FB there is a page called Hakuba Business and Services. Would suggest you join that and post looking for a place now.

Further if you dont have a visa you wont be able to buy a car either so might be a good idea to start looking into long term rentals, maybe even a lease although once again without a visa Im not sure if that is an option.

Good luck!!! Im in Hakuba and if I can help further let me know.

#2 Lucky Pete, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Whenever I see this kind of threads, I wonder how much they can pay. Without mentioning price range, I think we can't recommend specific accommodation.

4. Fuzzynz

Fuzzynz First Runs

Thanks Lucky Pete. Interesting things you’ve pointed out there. We were looking at both Niseko and Hakuba but it seems that Hakuba is a lot harder than Niseko to find seasonal accommodation so we are going to go back to plan A (Niseko) where we know we can get a seasonal rental for a decent amount.

Regarding the visa required for a car, does that mean that we can’t buy a car on an NZ 90 day visa and we’d have to get a 3 month one?

5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That surprises me re Niseko.
    Considering how expensive it is there. With accommodation at a premium.
    That's in kutchan I guess. Rather than Hirafu.

6. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

A lot of hoops to jump through to buy a car if you are not local. It’s not that simple.

LMB likes this.
  7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Kutchan has had the highest growth in real estate prices in the whole of Japan % wise in the last year (read that somewhere, God knows where, might’ve been a post here, might’ve been a real estate email). People are venturing further out to Moiwa and Niseko town and surrounds also.

It’s tricky unless a local owns it for you, as a mate did with his years ago. When we did 5 months we just organised a seasonal long rental - monthly rate. (And Visa hopped to Korea for the Olympics to get the 2nd 90 day visa).

8. Fuzzynz

Fuzzynz First Runs

I think the difference between Hakuba and Niseko is that there are more foreigners with properties there so more visible rentals. I’m sure if I could read Japanese I’d find more places in Hakuba. And yes, Kutchan is close enough to live but not as attractive for holidaying people wanting to experience Hirafu.

There are plenty of cars for sale on the local FB page - so not easy to buy then? I will start looking into monthly lease options instead.

9. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

There are just as many foreigners with properties in Hakuba as there are in Niseko, Seasonal long lets just arent that common in japan.
    Yes you might be able to buy a car on a local FB page but you cant register it, insurance etc. Japan is the most beauracratic place on earth. not to mention getting a shaken is about a 2 day affair when a car reaches a certain age.

As LMB stated, renting a car would be a lot easier.

10. LMB

I’m even considering just hiring a car for a couple of days a week next season, rather than a full season rental.

There is a Toyota depot right next door to Lawson’s (which is a 5 minute walk from my place). Sure I won’t have the drop and go convenience I’d normally have but my plans for next season will see me busy locally (not driving) 4 days a week - and having a car parked out the front will just add workload (clearing it and moving it so the snowclearers can get in). Different if PB comes with me - he will want that car (and he can clear and move it while I’m off learning new stuff).

11. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Yeah we took one the entire time this year and when i pulled some muscles and the snow wasnt that great it just sat there!

LMB likes this.
  12. LMB

It’s one thing to have an expensive rental sitting unused in under cover parking; but a whole different animal to have it parked at the front of building that needs snow clearing regularly.

I got my money’s worth from our month rental this season just in what it saved me in transfers running people back and forth to Chitose. But for tripping to Kutchan for shopping and to nearby hills - just didn’t get the use we have previously. A) because I could get most of the groceries I wanted at Lawson’s; B) our mates were more on piste skiers and there were no epic powder days where we wanted to start early somewhere away from Hirafu Base.

FuzzyNZ,
    If the car rental thing is just too ridiculous cost wise, think about doing regular short term rentals. Unless you’re keen to start the day away from Hirafu, or do a lot of backcountry.

However, we really used the car all the time when we did the 5 months. It was rare it sat there for 2-3 days without being driven somewhere. Even if it was taking skiers up the hill for early bird lifts in January (they didn’t like the walk in ski boots).

You just need to assess what works best for you

#12 LMB, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Aren't they renting in Kutchan?

14. LMB

Not from the way I read this :emoji_arrow_down:
    I assumed they were looking for something in Hirafu...

I’m just throwing out ideas.
    They can take what they like, leave the rest.

15. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

To buy a car you need a certificate of residency which you can not get on a tourist visa, some people will rent their personal car which is crazy in IMHO as the owner can be liable for a lot of things including if the driver is drink driving.

16. Fuzzynz

Fuzzynz First Runs

We are thinking that Kutchan (or anywhere outside of Hirafu) may be an easier/cheaper option to find a property and we're not interested in the Hirafu nightlife as we've been going there for many years but if we're out of town we'll need a car. I take onboard everything you have said about buying a car and thanks for the details regarding purchasing. That's definitely scared me off!

I guess if we are fortunate enough to find a place in Hirafu township we can use the shuttles/buses and then rent a car as required. We were staying very close to the Toyota rental place in Jan - I should have popped in while there. Without the car rental/purchase that will give us a higher budget to spend on accommodation.

LMB likes this.