2019 Canadian Ski Trip

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dpt, Jan 26, 2018.

1. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

Hi,
    how far out from the holiday would you normally suggest buying Airfare's, as a few fares in January has been released and seem quite pricey, as this is our first overseas trip I once again apologize for all my Questions.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

What dates are you looking at? Flights in the second half of January will be cheaper than those in the first half.

But set up an alert in Skyscanner or similar, and buy when prices drop to a price that suits. You can usually do $1200, and sometimes down to $900ish.

art likes this.
  3. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

We are looking at flying out of Sydney around the 7th january and skiing Sun Peaks and possibly a few days at Fernie then flying home around the 23-24th january.

4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

We are looking at a similar schedule from Perth to Sun Peaks

The airlines seem to show flights further out that a lot of the flight websites (like Zuji), for example Qantas are publishing (return) flights up to 14th January ATM so you won't be able to book your return flights for another 10 days at the earliest through them.

We are keen to book early, because there is limited accommodation to suit us, so we want to get in early to secure that.

5. Hoodie

Hoodie Early Days

I hate finishing a holiday without the next holiday being planned! We have just come home earlier this week from a month in SP our third time over the past 5 years and we had a fantastic time again. Although we really love SP we are thinking of trying somewhere else only to probably come back to SP the year after (already putting my name down for the room we want). Family of 3, 2 adults and a 13 year old, we mostly ski the blues and also ski the groomed blacks here at SP.

Flight to Canada is already booked (I get in early for points tickets), arrive YVR 18 Dec just have to book the return flight which I will do soon. Planning we will be in Canada for about a month again next time we are thinking Revelstoke first for ~13 nights then onto Banff for the balance. Hire car through Enterprise is already booked for the whole time. We will book the Revelstoke part pretty soon given it’s the Christmas week but leave the rest until the ski show in May.

What’s important for us:

- ski in ski out (at SP we stay Cahilty and we love it’s easy access)
    - need a kitchen (can only eat so much North American food, this year we brought 25kg of food with us) 100% breakfast, 85% lunch and 66% dinner we made ourselves.
    - friendly place / atmosphere
    - good spread of runs
    - ski school not needed but the girls did the 2 day race training this year at SP which they highly recommend

I last visited Banff about 20 years ago so if anyone has suggestions on where to stay we would love to hear them.

With regards to the OP question on booking flights I suggest looking for completely different dates throughout the year non holiday times that will give you an idea on the best prices you may achieve - Christmas is a different kettle of fish though as everybody wants to travel at that time and airlines don’t usually have to discount to fill the planes during the holidays. Also consider who you want to fly with if economy look at the seat configuration of the flight you are considering - I personally will never fly on a 10 seat 777 on a long haul it’s just too painful.

Good luck!

PS - planning and booking is also the exciting part!

oldgeezer likes this.
  6. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Re Banff accommodation we stayed at the Moose suites and based on the cooking history I’d give it a miss. Great hotel but we had to get really creative to eat in! We were lucky the supermarket was just around the corner and they had an in house chef who did some nice soups etc.

But the kitchen was just a sink and microwave.

7. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

Thanks for the advice, at the moment thinking of flying to Vancouver spend a few nights sightseeing, then hire a car drive to Sun Peaks ski for 4-5 days then on to lake louise and then to Calgary, catch a plane to Toronto see Niagra Falls then leave via New York, any suggestions would be great, I think there will be only the 4 of us (adults) traveling.

8. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Tip #1, search the forum ;);)
    Many threads cover the area you are looking at doing

9. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Couple of trip reports that cover the Vancouver to Calgary drive, mine and Lady Penelope.

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hiring a car in Vancouver and dropping if off at Calgary may prove to be quite a bit more than dropping it back at Vancouver so make sure you shop around

11. Harkin Banks

Harkin Banks Hard Yards

Gareth - I was listening to a travel program on a.m radio in Sydney yesterday. The guy advised that the cheapest time to purchase international air travel was 6 months before flying. He then said it's around 17 weeks for domestic travel. He said he has a put a fair bit of research into it. Interesting that he said it's just about always cheaper to purchase 6 months out as opposed to 12 months.

12. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah unfortunately our preferred accommodation would disappear by then

13. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I concur, as Frank Agagnale said.

Following Astro's return trip to SP on here I was shocked as to how quickly it was over and he was heading home again, as it is for most all vacationers, as distinct from on site crew. Nevertheless the full benefit is worth the cost when the time period is not the two or three weeks in country but extends over most of the year beforehand as the planning and anticipation builds throughout the year and the dream of what might be is a beacon at the end of the tunnel. Plus it also spools off other benefits, e.g. by way of providing motivation to spend the time to get and stay fit.

Part of the anticipationary benefit used to be the flight itself, even in cattle class as the 3-3-3 B777 was not bad. However with its 'densification' of Economy Air Canada has, for me, pulled the rug out from that aspect, making one dread the prospect rather than anticipating it. OG1, not a petite size, went to NZ recently in an Air NZ 3-4-3 B777 wedged between two largish guys and that was enough to remind her of the slave ship conditions of down the back in Air Canada's 3-4-3 B777 a bit over a year ago from YVR to SYD.

14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

My entire year is made up of holiday planning and holiday LOL.

I have soreadsheets of budgets, itineraries, key planning dates all helping to build and maintain the excitement.

Our Thredbo ‘18 trip is already locked and loaded months ago with Canada in January to be all sorted in the next few weeks.

Eatly planning also increases your probability of securing limited large SUVs if that is required, and at great rates

Chalkie likes this.
  15. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I'll admit to having a book where I write trip plans down, always fun to look back and review what we thought we may do and what we actually did. Currently I have a couple of loose trip plans for a trip to Lake Tahoe, A Japan ski trip including seeing the "highlights" and a Japan Ski trip with a side trip to China / Tibet.

For me I have to travel after Christmas / January as this is when business shut down so I actually get a holiday and don't have to spend time on the phone. So booking early means i get what I need and yeah I expect it will always cost me more to travel at this time but it costs the business less so i end up in front.

16. Hoodie

Hoodie Early Days

I’m the same, drives SWIMBO insane, air tickets booked (got FF seats prem eco both ways), car hire booked. Trying to book accom at Revelstoke

17. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I am in the early stages of planning a vacation with skiing trip for this time next year too although to the US, utilising our Epic passes. As well as that factor and OG1 likes Breck plus adding on a road trip for us the densification of Air Canada is a real put off for returning to SP even if there are workarounds. But fingers crossed for before getting too old.

18. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

My Wife and I are keen to do the Alpine Fondue and Starlight Decent at Sun Peaks, have anyone participated in this?

19. pedub

pedub Addicted

IMO very early (9-12 months) you can get a reasonable deal. But not the best deal

I prefer to keep a lookout for deals throughout the year.

20. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Some early booking is mandatory if points are used for flights in and around the Christmas/New Year period. If travelling Feb or March it can be left quite late if wanting to utilise points.
    Accomodation can be done without any bookings, if avoiding the busy times. We are booking some things for our Canada/US trip Dec18 Jan 19, but others we will see what the weather is doing and plan our moves form there.
    18 nights at Sun Peaks locked in over the New Year and early Jan period. The remainder of the trip is at our whim.

21. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

Hey just another question, do we need aVisa as I was looking and found several websites, can someone point me to the correct website please.

22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

You need an Electronic Travel Authorisation.

23. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

A couple of days ago I applied for an ETA with which I thought was the Government website only to find that it was a third party site and ANZ calls me up today somebody in NY has used my card number and they have blocked my card.
    Legs I gather the site on that link is the correct site?

dave

24. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

I make no promises, but it looks like every other Canadian government site I have seen. But scammers are getting pretty sophisticated.

25. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

did you book your flight via an airline bebsite? Udually there is a "manage your booking" type link near your booking which will direct you to the Canadian ETA website

26. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Did you pay $7 or $100?

27. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

I was going to do this in my last week there last year. I went to book a week ahead, but it was already full. I suggest you book 2 to 3 weeks ahead.

28. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

Payed $89, what do you mean book and it was full, I gather it was just an online application, I did still receive a eta Number.

29. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

The booking and full comment was related to Alpine Fondue and Starlight Decent at Sun Peaks

30. azzski

azzski Should know better

Sadly if you had to pay more than around 7-8 CAD, you were middle-manned at best, or scammed at worst. :(

31. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

You can check the status of your application (and I assume the validity of an existing ETA) here.

32. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

Oh FFS.

2 different replies to 2 different questions.

If you paid more than about $7 for an eTA you got ripped off. Big time.

The other response was to your question about the Fondue and Starlight Descent at Sun Peaks. Book 2 to 3 weeks ahead or you won't get in.

I quoted your questions in both cases so you could see what I was responding to.

If your attention to detail is that poor, I'm not surprised you got ripped off on your eTA.

Here is the website you should have used...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html

You're welcome.

KneeDeep likes this.
  33. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

That reply was a bit harsh the other question was posted a few months ago, I appreciate everyones replies.

34. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire

Marty must have missed arvo coffee :)

sly_karma likes this.
  35. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Harsh, but fair! ;)

36. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

yeah marty, lighten up LOL

(he's a nice guy really, someone must have been stealing his maltezers at the time)

37. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

SDS has started early...

Crystal likes this.