2019 Epic Pass $799

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by skiflat, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

Ski tube all the way for me. Less faffing about than drive and park. For me doing about 20ish days a season it’s decent value, plus the discounts for the kids tickets.

Lift upgrades are sorely needed though - pretty valley is torture. If there’s a hint of a queue you’re just as quick to run down to Telemark then to the quad! Mount Perisher another that needs sorting. Both would be higher priorities than a lift at Leichhardt for me.

skifree likes this.
  2. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

Seniors Pass went up 12% this year from 2017s price. 2019s price is only a 7% increase on this years.

BTW the Freedom Pass price stayed the same for the first 4 years only increasing when they changed the name to EPIC iirc.
    Actually I think it dropped $10 for 2015, the last of the Freedoms.

3. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass: Gold

Epic Pass all the way for me. Last year I think I did 25 days at Perisher then 11 days at Whistler (the nice people there gave me an extra day for free). No-brainer when I live 2 hours drive from Jindabyne. The crowds are, unfortunately, only getting worse. Perisher may have to look at limiting season pass sales as a result

4. MarzNC

MarzNC Addicted

Don't use the Epic Pass and don't know Perisher. Would Perisher ever consider limited day tickets? Does an "Epic Local" exist just for Perisher without N. American benefits? In addition to local Epic passes for Tahoe, also exist for the Vail "urban" ski resorts in the U.S. midwest that are a flight away from other Vail resorts.

Deer Valley and Powder Mountain in Utah limit day tickets. At least DV used to. Unclear after the purchase by Alterra and the creation of the Ikon pass. Supposedly Alta used to but haven't heard that for quite a while and it was before I started skiing there regularly. PowMow is very unusual because it limits season passes too even though it has a lot of terrain. Gives big discounts to people who live in the local area.

5. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

especially since ladder chains are still acceptable. those things are effing dangerous because they are almost impossible to fit correctly and have blind spots where no chain touches the road.
    Self tensioning diamond chains should be the standard, just like so many other car safety devices are - self tensioning seatbelts, disc brakes, ASB, etc. Ladder chains belong in the museum with drum brakes & lap seatbelts.

Back to topic - the only reason I am not considering an epic pass, even with insurance, is because this year I tore my calf muscle an hour & 20 minutes into my first day. I don't think I could face it if the same thing happened again next year after buying a season pass.

6. chicski

chicski A Local

Original was $699.

Olgreg and Zimbooo like this.
  7. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

An perisher epic local pass would be a good idea. BLackout days of July school holidays, and maybe the 2 busiest August weekends. No overseas benefits. No other local benefits, eg free first tracks, food, retail and lessons discounts etc. However, from a business perspective, I am sure if we ever saw that happen, the price point would be close to or just under the current epic pass price. The premium or full epic pass price would be higher.

I don't think it will happen, obviously it is something they would have thought through and modelled a business case etc.

The skitube price is gradually creeping up. The day epic pass ski tube rate is $32, so for those who don't intend on using it, they could purchase 3x "emergency" day passes for the cost of season pass

oldgeezer likes this.
  8. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

And still a bargain. PEople forget how radical it was when it came out. I used to pay around $1250 for the early bird season pass, full price was $1400 or something similar:eek:

9. chicski

chicski A Local

That’s a big no to all those questions.

MarzNC likes this.
  10. chicski

chicski A Local

Yep and couldn’t afford to add skitube!

Still. I’m not buying next year.

11. cornice11

cornice11 Hard Yards

Me neither. Ive cracked it with crowds.

chicski likes this.
  12. chicski

chicski A Local

Yes. This.

cornice11 likes this.
  13. person s

person s Old n' Crusty

I seem to recall the first Freedom Pass was like that

14. chicski

chicski A Local

It had a sale cutoff date that was earlier, I'm not sure they limited the numbers though.

15. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

If going mainly to Smiggs then driving to the car park there and stepping onto the snow beats the tube plus transfer but otherwise taking the tube works out better overall is my feeling. So this season we added it to our Epics even tho the car had a pass valid to Aug 15th. Won't get the pass for next year though as come early August 2019 I am dragged off to Europe until the Oct long weekend.

16. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

I think when it first came out it was limited to 10000.

17. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture

I think it's real enough.
    If it stays in stride with cpi.
    Bit different for you with distance, but I'm within reasonably short drive and club accom rarely an issue so i can do spur of the moment trips.

Zimbooo likes this.
  18. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us

I just hold 4 fingers up (the middle one + 3) and keep driving. Hope it helps those behind me :) I'm in a kluger, there are certainly 2WD versions, but ya wouldn't drive one #torquesteer

nfip and Astro66 like this.
  19. skull

skull One of Us

Shoving and pushing

Last year I had my 4 year old shoved out of the way by people rushing on to grab seats. If I hadn’t been holding his hand he would have slipped down between platform and train. So there I was holding my skis, my kids skis, and my kids hand with him hanging in the gap between the train and platform and not one grub offered to help. They all just pushed through to get in the door.

20. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them

Describes every queue at Perisher...
    Totally different in the US Vail resorts, loud obnoxious pushy yanks they are not.

skull likes this.
  21. skull

skull One of Us

in saying my hate for the tube and now a Thredbo convert, I am getting the military discount epic pass as both my wife and I are eligible. I will however still get the 365 pass for Thredbo.

22. DidSurfNowSki

I'm sitting on the fence with this one. Love Perisher, love the terrain the Perisher lifts give you access to, love skiing with the Perisher crew, fantastic value if you plan on skiing the Hakuba/US Vail/Whistler resorts, hate the weekend crowds which is when I ski the most.

The Thredbo 365 Pass worked well this year because of the mountain biking and the weekend skiing has been top to bottom this season. In leaner years, Perisher has more available terrain.

Canberra is within striking distance of the Vicco resorts, I particularly liked skiing Hotham for the first time this year.

Yeah, I'll fence sit for a while longer until I figure out what next year's skiing goals are...

BTW, unless you have a 4WD/AWD and are very comfortable driving in winter alpine conditions get the skitube option on the season pass!

cornice11 likes this.
  23. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture

yeah pretty sure you are correct.
    I remember bit of a frenzy of txts and phone calls being made around the crew to get on it..
    Was a BIG thing dropping the price to something more realistic value for money.

oldgeezer and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  24. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

Brilliant - I qualify for a student pass! #backofthenet

25. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Hard Yards

Was absolutely brilliant compared to previous season passes and as I said earlier the price stayed the same for 4 years.
    BTW last 2 years increases in the cost of the Seniors pass have substantially exceeded the CPI

26. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

More retirees skiing harder and longer. They’ve got a captive market so why not milk it?

SnowRabbit likes this.
  27. chicski

chicski A Local

Epic pass has changed the demographics IMO.

nfip and Zimbooo like this.
  28. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us

Season passes for skiing are very cheap in comparison to the cost of Sailing and or Horse riding :)

skifree likes this.
  29. Swede

Swede One of Us

Are you planning on skiing three weekends, or more?
    If Yes = Buy Pass
    If No = Don't buy Pass

30. DidSurfNowSki

And have no mates ;)

31. Swede

Swede One of Us

Mates rates only work if you plan and pay a long time ahead

SkiMountaineer likes this.
  32. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

Back in the late 70s and early 80s both Perisher and Thredbo used to have free skiing for over those aged 65 and over, recalling how we used to look forward to that. But as the baby boomer group loomed large that went by the board and it morphed into just 50% off (if 65 or above on Queen's B'day), although for 70 and over the discount is more. However Epic US passes for seniors appear to only apply to a subset of locales, e.g. not Stevens, and do not have a super seniors additional discount so it could be that if the Epic PV pass keeps the 65+ discount then the super seniors might disappear.

33. chicski

chicski A Local

I try and avoid weekends ;)

34. chicski

chicski A Local

Actually I booked early this week for my son to use one next week. When we looked earlier it was $125, this week it was showing $99. Now up to $105. Think you just have to check daily.

35. Swede

Swede One of Us

Is that weekend or mid week?

36. chicski

chicski A Local

Thursday. Weekend is more.

37. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  38. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter

Never going to happen. Vail bought Perisher to get more Australians to ski at Vail resorts.

Zeroz likes this.
  39. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty

Is that just coz they like our accents?

On the AWD thing, a post on FB a couple of weeks ago, someone got into trouble, because they thought that as their car was turbo, it meant it was also AWD! Some peopled dont even realise that tyres have air in them!

nfip, DidSurfNowSki and SnowRabbit like this.
  40. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

The same way many 4wd owners don't know how to engage 4wd.

telecrag likes this.
  41. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

They also wanted to bump up their T bar portfolio.

skifree, Telemark Phat and SnowRabbit like this.
  42. Pippenn_2K

Pippenn_2K Hard Yards

I'm pretty sure I only paid $79 for skitube add on last year. Hefty price rise

43. chicski

chicski A Local

Last year I paid $909 for Pass, tube and insurance. $509 for child. How much is total this year?

44. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us

1 Adult 1 Child $1,398.00 no insurance

45. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

$919.

chicski likes this.
  46. Lady Penelope

I try to avoid taking the Skitube as much as possible, having had experiences similar to @skull with my boys getting pushed out of the way and almost off the train in the initial melee and crush (people insist on standing in clumps near the doors and often won’t move down the carriage. God help them if they got on a London Underground or Tokyo subway train). I only used it this year when staying at Lake Crackenback during school holidays. At this stage no Skitube add-on for me next year.

Ozgirl and skull like this.
  47. kiter

kiter One of Us

good to see lots of whiners . Fewer people on the skitube and fewer on the resort is not a bad thing . Still represents good value to me .

48. Lady Penelope

So regular contributors to this forum who raise legitimate concerns about the Skitube (eg their children being shoved aside) are “whiners”? How insulting.

Ozgirl and piolet like this.
  49. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I've missed Perisher this year, doing a week in Hakuba in January, and will hop to do Perisher again for s week in August 2019.

Is it worth buying US Epic Pass????

50. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

I haven't had the experiences on the skitube that others have simply because I have never been on it. Seems to me that having that many people so close to each other enveloped in a steel can is something city people would be used to and may enjoy but not me. I get a tad startled when there is 3 people in my vehicle.
    I don't care how you cut it , add on insurance or skitube if you must , the Epic Pass is still good value. Maybe a restriction on numbers could be a good idea in the future but for now its not really needed. We all know where the choke points are for crowds on weekends and most of us know how to avoid them , plus we do most of our best work during the week when there is 2 men and a dog on the hills.

SnowRabbit and IAB like this.