Separate names with a comma.
We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.
NOTE: This notice may be closed.
Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 12, 2020.
Anyone taking a leap of faith and booking for 2020 / 2021 season?
I put a deposit on Ikon passes just days before it all went pear shaped. I’ve made enquires about accomodation. But I’m also resigned to not skiing again until June ‘21
If nothing else, travel insurance will be useless until there’s a vaccine.
I can't imagine looking at anything until there's at least some sort of indication of a time frame for relaxtion of international travel restriction. An article in this morning's Age suggests that is unlikely before the end of the year and could be beyond that.
"Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham urged people to "see Australia first" when the curbs are eased over time but said bans on international travel would remain while the virus raged overseas.
"My message is now is the time when you can dream and plan but not execute those plans," he said in an interview."
I paid 30% deposit for Whistler accomodation in January. I'm now thinking that late August in Hotham is more likely than late January in Canada
I have some friends and acquaintances is Whistler. They are very nervous about the 20/21 season, and whether their own travel restrictions and lock downs will still be force. They have pretty much written off the summer bike and hike season
We are planning but not booking anything late Dec depart is our hope
My crew have the same hopes but realistically I can't see that happening.
We may be lucky enough to get some high altitude spring skiing in the Easter school holidays but if that's the case other options will open up. Mmmmmmm Tignes, Banff or Summit County??
I'll buy an Apex season pass once they go on sale.
I'm waiting and seeing. I'd like to see more of BC next season rather than putting most eggs in the Whistler/Blackcomb basket (did that this year as it was our first year in Vancouver and WB is, truth be told, very convenient). I've also been toying with the idea of the Ikon Pass, as it covers a decent set of US Rockies and Utah hills (and Cypress right here in Vancouver).
But I'm not prepared to make any calls right now.
I'm in Calgary for the calendar year on teachers exchange. The family was loving our investment of a Lake Louise season pass. We'd spent most Saturdays there and **just** got our money's worth, family weekend in Kicking Horse and were all systems go. Our week in Fernie for spring break is gone. Our Easter in Revelstoke is gone. Our season and value for money in LL, including the kids spring program is gone.
That's left me devastated.
LL are not refunding a portion of their season pass this year and have offered a 25% discount on next season, but that's not much good to me. I paid the deposit on the northern epic pass as it has 7 days on RCR resorts and the plan was then into Vail to stay with a friend in January.
Already being in Canada helps with next season,I just need to wait and see what restrictions and snow conditions are like in December.
I don't know whether I'll make it to Vail in the US but might have to go to Whistler as it is still in Canada, same pass but more expensive with accommodation not free.
I'm supposed to start work back in Aus after Aussie day. Will flights home be available and how much will they be?
There is so much we don't know. I know we can all say this but the virus has really mucked up my year.
At least we should be able to enjoy epic pass in southern hemisphere in 2021, or is even that to much to hope for?
I am pretty much resigned to the fact that we won't be going skiing next NH season for the first time since 2012. It's been an amazing run but I just can't see it happening.
Do you mean from a travelling abroad perspective or that the NH resorts won't open next winter either?
Travelling abroad perspective (I assume the resorts will open). Also, going to be expensive (USA) with the exchange rate and who knows about flight costs once we are permitted to fly.
In early Feb, I bought the Teleroo family tix from Syd to Munich ($7800) for a house exchange with an Austrian couple. 23rd Dec 2020 to late Jan 2021. Their house is in Kufstein, we have plans to be skiing at Skiwelt. All up in the air right now. Corona virus was just an odd thing happening in China - certainly was aware of it a little I guess but at the time couldn't have foreseen where we are now. Also droppped $1000 on an airbnb for a few days before hand. Didn't buy travel insurance at the time, was going to be next job in the queue. But then that became a bit pointless because all the travel insurance policies carved out pandemics.
One scenario is the trip isn't possible, we'll probably lose $2500 on airfare cancellation fees. Airbnb rules were no refund, but I think a polite email to the owner might be worth a try - our booking was for Xmas, so I imagine they wouldn't have trouble getting a replacement for us.
But at the moment, there is no advantage in us cancelling right now, or really anytime prior to Nov/Dec really. Just have to live in hope something becomes possible. Also keep fingers crossed our exchangees keep healthy - they are retired so in a vulnerable age group.
It's all a bit funky right now. The problem will be this austral summer was our big chance at a trip like this, as I know the Telejoeys have big scout Jamoborees they'd like to attend the following two summers. So an airfare credit voucher isn't to useful to us, we'd be better off taking the hit on the airfare cancellation fees.
They way the US are printing money the AUD may just be worth more than there $$$$.
I assume northern hemisphere resorts will be open and I'm expecting air fares to be higher than usual but not crazy. The big issue is we may have to go into quarantine when we get to our destination and go into quarantine when we get home. This makes a trip unlikely for us.
Let's see what happens.
I don't think its a certainty that the NH resorts will be open in 20/21. It's a strange world we live in, and who knows how it will play out. I think they will, but would I bet my house on it .... nah
Some resorts may not open as the businesses may go bust. Others, who knows what regulations may be in place by then. It is possible the whole world could be putting some things on hold until a vaccine is available etc.
We’ve locked out our apartment in Niseko for the entire season, but did that before it became the worldwide disaster that it currently is.
I expect Niseko to open, they’re still open now!
Whether we can fly there or not...
Whether you’d want to risk contracting the virus if Aus has it all but eradicated and the rest of the world doesn’t....
Whether we can afford it and afford to leave the business after a year of crisis ...
IF it’s safe. IF we can financially and logistically justify it. Then I’ll go for at least 2 months, and am happy to self isolate for 2 weeks upon return.
The notion of a quarantine either side of a 3 week ski trip makes things "interesting" doesn't it? 3 weeks annual leave needs to become 7 weeks. And quarantine accomodation costs won't (and shouldn't) be covered by the tax payer for these holidays, so travellers will need to budget for that as well if they decide to press on with their plans. Maybe the best hope we have is Scott and Justin sharing the Australian and Canadian medical statistics closer to the time, and allowing unrestricted travel between the two nations based on mutual agreement? So many moving parts to this.....who knows what will actually occur....
I think air fares will be attractively priced at first. After months of social distancing, people will quite reasonably be squeamish about sitting hip to hip with 200-300 strangers, plus the crowding in the airport. There's already lots of messaging going around about 'spend your money at home', 'support local business' etc, international travel for various reasons will be a tough sell at first. Flights will be cheap until society gets over its collective unease and lack of cash.
Nonetheless I can see 20/21 season being pretty quiet at most resorts in western Canada with considerably fewer international visitors in attendance. BC and Alberta between them have only 9 million people, that's not much population to support more than a hundred ski areas. I guess it will balance off somewhat, because they won't have the usual cadre of Aussie and Kiwi youngsters to fill the front line jobs.
Emails overnight from both Ikon and MC offering further incentives. I’m stuck with the Ikon. Either I cancel now and lose a $600 deposit or start paying instalments after 1 June and cross my fingers.
Paid deposit for accom. in Sun Peaks for Jan 2021 before the "thing". Was supposed to pay airfares before the end of April - dont think that will be happening. We will be playing the waiting game.
Just had an email from Kicking Horse accomodation provider asking if I still want the house we had been looking at. They offered to hold it until September for $100 until we see how this all plays out. I'm giving them my $100 and pushing this decision out to September! Hope reigning supreme.
I would have spent vast amounts "at home" ski hills after 1 March, if only I'd had the chance
Knowing my luck, next B.C. season will be a bummer after this bumper season (I stare up at Cypress and Grouse every day in this stunning spring weather and curse the bloody virus). As things currently stand, I think we'll keep on waiting and seeing. If we commit to an "explore B.C." ski season next year, I'm currently tending towards not getting a multi-resort pass and just buying what we want where we want when we want - that's of course if we get to ski at all next season.
May as well stay another year
Itvwill be interesting to see if discounted airfares are available once travel bans are relaxed.
For the airlines it will be a balancing act between encouraging punters back in the air and into questionable regions versus trying to recover lost revenue asap.
I'm hoping to do Sun Peaks, but I will wait until the international travel bans are lifted (and the discount airfares are thrown at me) before I commit to anything.
I'm also curious if SP extend their early bird season pass, with the best discount normally expiring end of June.
There are plenty of good airfares on sale right now with Air Canada for next northern hemisphere season. Just depends if you are brave enough to buy one
I have thought about that but Mrs Gumbie and Miss Gumbie (9) would be less keen. Like Teleroo above, both kids should be going to the Scout Jamboree as well in Jan 2022. We'd have to tee it up with our exchange partners as well. They're in Wollongong and are free to surf (which is still legal there, I think), so lock down isn't going so bad for them, although they had booked 2 weeks in New Zealand over the Easter two week holidays. When will NZ open up for them?
I'm due to finish work here on Dec 18. If I stay for another year I need to be back teaching on Jan 6, but if we return we have between Dec 18 and Jan 28 to play. So all I need is next season to be open and skiable........................
Unfortunately the time was now, and looking at the Lake Louise ski cams is doing me no good either. The place is loaded and fresh.
They're Hobson's choices, really. Still, better to have them, than not.
Those Lake Louise cams are just torture. A little closer to home, as are the Cypress cams, although with the weather right now, I just stare wistfully at Cypress and Grouse from my rooftop garden. And the Whistler cams are turned off!
... for humanitarian reasons...
SP turned off all their mountain cams about a week or so ago. I'm guessing they didn't want people looking at all those empty runs and either sneaking up, or committing suicide
One scenario I can possibly imagine is that by Dec 2020 overseas travel to/from Aus is permitted. But upon return to Australia, two weeks quarantine is required. But hopefully home quarantine is allowed by then if you have the govt covid19 tracking app on your phone as some sort of verfication that the home isolation is actually happening. Dunno, just kicking around ideas.
I'll be very surprised if travel other than to NZ is permitted by Dec.
The home isolation or tracking app wont work if you live in a group household with say family members who havent travelled
Agreed, but could work for some and would be preferable to mandatory hotel room lockup. Look I dunno. Just kicking around ideas to salvage the idea of my planned trip. We'd be a full family. But two week quarantine afterwards still probably wouldn't work for the kids, who'd need to return to school upon return etc.
Ikon now allowing fee free deferral to 21/22 anytime up until Dec 20. That’s a good result. Give they were getting hammered on social media, this should keep everyone happy.
And two weeks isolation at the Canadian end! Currently have to prove that you have a suitable place to isolate when arriving. Don't see Canadian authorities allowing this to happen in a ski resort!. If the quarantine restrictions are still in place that's 2 weeks self isolating before you can ski and another 2 weeks when you get home. Alright for the retired boomers........
We had booked QFF flights for 2 of 3 pax, original tickets were to have a week in NYC then onto Banff area but given the state of affairs in NYC that idea was canned. We managed to change the tickets to be to Calgary with a short transit in LAX, we have most of the accom booked with the only outlay being a $250 deposit which was made before this really set in.
Going to sit back and watch for the next 6 months to decide what to do, most likely our decision will be made for us (not going to commit to the 3rd airfare just yet..). We are resigned to the fact that we may be holidaying in own backyard for a change!
If local bans are lifted in time with all our international travel curtailed, does this mean our local hills are going to get whacked with a bigger influx of visitors this year?
98% of the ski world doesn't know Australia has skiing. If ever there was a time for them to find out, this would be it. Maybe after this, only 75% of the world won't know Australia has skiing.
We had plans for the end of this year but are not going to take the chance. Too much uncertainty around it including insurance, enforced quarantines would destroy any leave time and resort closures.
That is a very unfortunate waste of sensational snow. Uggghhhh!
Things could be worse - you could be NOT retired and pissed off about every single hour away from work cos it's eating into your leave balance, or, worse still, you could be Covid19 positive and holed up in a Coronavirus ward hoping that your current difficulty with breathing won't result in an upgrade to an ICU bed with a ventilator any time soon?
Ditto chunky. Travel insurance is the big one, not worth anything right now.
I saw a hypothetical question on FB: would I book now if offered a money back guarantee.
For all of my trips I book my own accommodation, airfares, carhire, lift tickets and I would need guarantees against all of these componenets
I would need all of these to be gauranteed and I would also need peace of mind that someone offering the money back guarantee would also not go backrupt in the meantime.
Don’t forget travel insurance.
I'm hoping insurance would be your best friend in this kind of situation.
Most insurances are useless for pandemics aren't they?
That’s the point.