1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2020 / 2021 - Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Here's the first snow on the coastal mountain range at Vancouver:

Grouse Mountain:

The Lions:

The snow line was pretty low for October! To the far left in this shot is Cypress, one of the three Vancouver local ski hills. Looking west to east, it goes Cypress, Grouse and then Seymour. The first two we can see from our place, but not Seymour (tucked behind a hill).

2. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

West Kelowna yesterday when out shopping.

Still plenty on the ground now but it will be gone by the end of the week in the valley.

Lady Penelope, Chalkie and Roymond like this.
  3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I'm watching the Chiefs and Broncos play in Denver. It's snowing.

Chalkie, main street and Roymond like this.
  4. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I plan on a career break next northern hemisphere winter assuming covid has settled down. How late can I leave it to sample the last part of the autumn colours in British Columbia. The trees are ablaze in those shots. Will the leaves hang around until the end of November?

5. Schwarzer Mann

Schwarzer Mann Addicted

Lake Louise.......

Chalkie and Roymond like this.
  6. main street

End of November for all the color ?? ...... The odds are very much against that.

This snow we have just had is early by a few weeks and it won't last in the valley as we are looking at +10 by the end of the week but it means that all the trees will be full steam ahead to divest themselves of foliage.

Beginning of October would be better timing...... We tend to pull the boat from our dock by the last week of September as the season has turned by then.

Chalkie likes this.
  7. Sbooker

I had no idea. Hence the question.
    I would ideally like to get in for the end of fall - just before the first snow but that will probably be too early for my plans.

8. main street

Mid to late October should still see some color about if you can time it for that.

sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  9. Chalkie

For how long are you planning your career break? Are you under 30? These are immigration-related questions. If you're planning on more than a six month stay (for over 30s as they're not eligible to get the under-30 working visa) you may want to look into the options for staying for a longer period. If you're planning on staying six months or less, that's the standard entry visa for Australians coming to Canada.

10. Sbooker

I’m thinking early December to mid April. Won’t definitely be BC but I think it may be the most likely for next winter. I can’t see Europe or USA being an option by then.
    I’m over 30. My kids and wife would be with me for the Oz school holidays.

11. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Varies with elevation and species, but mid to late October for BC fall colours.

main street likes this.
  12. Chalkie

That'll be a regular tourist entry, so no immigration dramas. Just make sure you have very solid travel insurance!

Sbooker likes this.
  13. main street

Second wave is well and truly here....

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today he understands that Canadians are increasingly frustrated by "annoying" measures designed to curb the spread of COVID-19, but he's urging people to stay the course as cases continue to climb in some parts of the country.

Canada is in the grips of a second pandemic wave. Some provinces — notably Alberta, B.C., Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec — are now seeing case counts larger than those reported in the spring, at the onset of the pandemic.

"This sucks, it really, really does," Trudeau told a COVID-19 press briefing this morning. "It's going to be a tough winter. It's easy for us to want to throw up our hands ... it's frustrating to have to go through this situation.

"Nobody wanted 2020 to be this way, but we do get to control how bad it gets by all of us doing our part."

After a summer lull, the death count in Canada has also started to climb. Hospitalizations and the number of people in intensive care units (ICUs) remain at manageable levels in most regions, despite the cresting caseload.

Some Toronto-area hospitals are nearing 100 per cent capacity as they grapple with both COVID-19 cases and other patients.

Data indicates that younger, healthier people — who are more likely to recover without medical intervention — are driving the COVID-19 spike during this round of the pandemic.

Dr. Howard Njoo, the deputy chief public health officer, said there's no doubt that Canadians are tired of the restrictions that have upended their social and economic lives for the better part of eight months.

"What we're seeing around the world is people are suffering from COVID fatigue," Njoo said.

Another full lockdown is not necessary at this point, he said.

"We want to get back to as normal as possible, the functioning of society," he said, adding Canada needs to find the "sweet spot" where new cases of COVID-19 don't threaten to overwhelm the health care system.

Asked if governments bear any responsibility for conflicting messages from federal and provincial leaders and local public health officials about how Canadians should go about their daily lives during the pandemic, Trudeau said the situation on the ground in the provinces and territories varies greatly and does not demand national uniformity.

Trudeau said Ottawa is not intent on plunging the country into another shutdown — and the country is better equipped to handle this wave than it was in March and April.

"We have a better understanding of COVID-19. We have better tools to deal with COVID-19 and we can be a little more targeted but, yeah, that means a little more complication in our messages," Trudeau said.

"It's frustrating to see friends at the other end of the country doing things you'd love to be able to do but you can't."

Trudeau said that when his six-year-old son Hadrien recently asked him if COVID-19 would with us "forever," he assured him the pandemic would end — but its impact will depend on Canadians doing their part in the short term by wearing masks wherever possible, keeping a two-metre distance from others and avoiding large social gatherings altogether.

"We need to do the right thing, we need to lean on each other, we need to use all the tools that we can," he said.

Trudeau sounded a positive note today, too, saying that Canada has placed orders for tens of millions of possible vaccine candidates. He said pharmaceutical companies are developing promising treatments.

"Vaccines are on the horizon. Spring and summer will come and they will be better than this winter," he said.

All told, the federal government has secured 358 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines — an insurance policy if some of the vaccines in development prove to be ineffective in clinical trials.

Val Desire, MarzNC and Lady Penelope like this.
  14. main street

15. sly_karma

Dr Bonnie has said repeatedly no international tourism until we have widely distributed effective vaccine or treatment. Agreed, spring seems earliest likely reopening.

Chalkie likes this.
  16. main street

Chalkie likes this.
  17. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

fingers crossed it does not happen for you ...someone has to ski it :)

main street likes this.
  18. main street

Hell,..... I'm counting down the days until we can get the boat back in the water.... ;)

Crystal likes this.
  19. Chalkie

At the rate things are going, that's currently my expectation. The data is showing though that the bulk of new infections are coming from close social contacts - people are just not following the advice to stay apart. Grrhhh.

20. main street

These graphs are well into "ugly" territory and they will only get worse.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

I see the possibility of full on travel restrictions within the province on the radar & that is going to be devastating for ski resorts.

Chalkie likes this.
  21. toxicfox

toxicfox Hard Yards

My son in whistler has said that restaurants are only doing delivery or take out. Must be to try and limit the spread before season starts. The case numbers have been minimal over summer.
    The flights from the USA are full as well and that could be importing cases. ?
    And lots more snow at village level than last season.

Chalkie likes this.
  22. Chalkie

23. sly_karma

In the south Okanagan we seem to be in some kind of bubble. The hospital in Penticton services a catchment area with a population slightly over 100,000, yet in the eight months of the pandemic so far not one confirmed COVID patient has been sick enough to be admitted. Statistics suggest that means we've had fewer than 200-300 cases in the region over that time. They have a shiny new patient care tower only 18 months old with an entire floor available, complete with negative pressure capability for infectious diseases, but no takers. I guess this is the power of decentralization, largest single community in the region is Penticton at 35,000 people. The health authorities keep telling everyone to spread out, these figures prove it works!

24. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Canada is still allowing visitors from the USA????

25. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

^^ really ??

26. main street

Sorry,..... This statement is NOT true.

No..... It is NOT.

Flights from the US,... The very few that there are,.... DO NOT have US holidaymakers on them.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...-and-updates/2020/new-entry-requirements.html

&

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...s-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

27. main street

Crystal, sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  28. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Certainly worked in Australia. with 70 cases left, mostly from overseas travellers

29. sly_karma

Yes but this has occurred without any kind of travel restrictions, curfews or mandatory mask rules. In fact the recent summer was crazy busy for the Okanagan with everything running wide open and zillions of visitors from all over Canada. Many hotels and tourist related businesses reported records broken.

Things are ratcheting up fast now though as MS reported. The case counts in QC and ON, while large numbers, have to be taken in the context of them having the largest and most sophisticated medical systems in the country. The real ugliness is unfolding in the three prairie provinces where conservative governments spent the federal money on boosting the economy instead of preparing for the second wave. Now they have exponential case growth, lab backlogs, insufficient contact tracing and overfull hospitals.

Val Desire, Chalkie and main street like this.
  30. sly_karma

The only short term hope is for widely available fast testing. With the crazy Irregularities in spread by asymptomatic people, everyone has to be restricted in the meantime. Some so called 'super spreaders' can infect dozens of people yet others infect only one or two - or even zero - despite similar degrees of interaction prior to positive test. Instant testing would change things for the better, and I don't mean those silly thermometers. Those prove/disprove nothing.

Chalkie and main street like this.
  31. main street

And now,..... What is likely to be the leading edge of a wave from East to West if things do not settle down.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...ks-like-isn-t-clear/ar-BB1b0A1C?ocid=msedgntp

"We're staring down the barrel of another lockdown," Ontario Premier Doug Ford said on Friday. "And I will not hesitate for a second if we have to go further."

It was a blunt statement about a blunt instrument: some combination of widespread restrictions, closures and a potential declaration of emergency.

It's a situation few Ontarians want to see again, Ford among them — but some warn it may now be unavoidable as the province's COVID-19 cases keep surging to new heights, with more people filling hospital beds week after week.

Chalkie likes this.
  32. Chalkie

I read @MarzNC 's reports of the Epic reservation system in the US thread. Just thought I should add a few lines on my own experience.

I was up bright and early on the first morning of reservations - 6am BC time on 6 November. I logged into the Epic system and was placed in the virtual queue, which worked perfectly. Once I was in the queue, I went and made my breakfast and coffee and came back about 15 mins out from my estimated service time.

At about 6.30am, I was in the reservation system and did not have any difficulty reserving 5 days at Whistler in January on my Epic 10 day limited (big holidays excluded) Edge pass.

Separately to the ski reservation system, I'd already booked our accommodation. This week I had an email from the front desk at the Pan Pacific Mountainside in Whistler (we are lazy and don't like to walk more than a few steps to lifts...) noting that the address they had on file for me was my Australian address. I'd not updated the Pan Pacific Loyalty programme, through which I'd made my reservation. They said ever so politely that foreigners weren't welcome (this wasn't the first time we'd encountered this - at The Wickaninnish Inn at the end of October we had to show local ID to be allowed on property). I swiftly replied I was now a local and would [assuming the season goes ahead] be driving from Vancouver.

33. main street

Crystal, sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  34. Sbooker

This is related somewhat to the travel prospects for Aussies. I like many hope to visit BC in December 21/January 22. I’m thinking the Australian government is less likely to allow travel to Canada if it has it’s border open to the US. Would I be right in that assessment?
    On the same train of thought if we’re allowed to travel to Canada and they are open to the US would it be likely we’re allowed to travel to the USA too?

35. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

How long is a piece of string? Who knows.

sly_karma likes this.
  36. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect covid numbers in the US will continue to rise for a few months after Biden is bedded in.
    There will remain a huge chuck of 75 million trump voter who will refuse to wear masks or do what biden tells them

37. Chalkie

I think @main street meant 21 December 2020.

Dec 2021 / January 2022 is all going to depend on vaccine roll out and take up. It is pretty much just a wait and see game now.

main street likes this.
  38. Sbooker

Yes. But it would seem that if we are permitted to travel to Canada we would also be permitted to travel to the US given that their borders should be open by then? There would be no point permitting Aussies to travel to Canada and not the US if it is effectively a open continent.

39. main street

For as long as the CAN / US border is closed, other tourists won't be getting in either.

The US border will most likely need to be open for several months before other international "borders" open.

Chalkie likes this.
  40. Chalkie

I guess that's right.

41. sly_karma

Moot point at the moment anyway with the numbers spiking all across the western and central provinces.

main street likes this.
  42. gareth_oau

i think December 2021 is peobably accurate

until the US has a massive improvement I’m hoping Canada keeps their US border closed and we will look to fly direct to Vancouver via Oz, HK or Auckland

43. Sbooker

I agree with Main Street that it will be likely that the US border is open first.

44. gareth_oau

so you think the Canadian government would block a travel bubble with Australia until after a border with a rampantly infected nation is opened first?

45. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

US is Canadas number 1 trading partner by a long way. Outnumbers China by a massive margin. A enormous amount of people, goods and services both commerial and recreational cross that border everyday. It is way more importance to Canada than opening up for ski tourism from other countries.

So yes, it will be their number 1 priority

main street likes this.
  46. Sbooker

Yes. So we'll have the choice of going to Canada or the USA. Both borders should open to us at the same time.

47. gareth_oau

of course, except that if the US is still seen to be an unacceptable risk that delays opening, why would you narrow-minedly delay other zero risk opporyunities

48. main street

49. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Early Days

Loving the optimism.
    I have a feeling we will be still having this same discussion this time next year :(

50. Sbooker

:nono:

Crystal likes this.