1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2020 / 2021 - Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 12, 2020.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

So many other ways to worship. 99% of churches are complying, but three congregations believe God wants them to lodge a civil rights complaint that the orders have infringed their Charter rights of religious freedom. FFS.

2. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

Canada just closed the country to all flights from Britain for at least 72 hours.

Anyone thinking we'd be back to normal soon should think again.

sly_karma and Ret-ro like this.
  3. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I had no idea Canada was open to the British.
    Why? I assumed being closed to the US would automatically make them closed to everyone else.

4. main street

It's not open to the British or anyone else per se.

Canada has always been open to its citizens & residents + essential services coming home by air, providing screening and quarantine protocols are observed.

This latest move closes that door as well to Britain for at least the next 72 hrs.

5. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Got it.

6. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

They've clearly never read neither the Charter nor any of the case law about the reasonable limits provision in section 1 of the Charter.

sly_karma and main street like this.
  7. sly_karma

And FWIW people can fly between Canada and US provided they have their written quarantine plan approved by CBP (US) or CBSA (Canada). No federally supervised $2000 hotel stay here. Different outlook. They don't have the quarantine island mentality shared by Aust and NZ - which given the environmental disasters of the past 200 years is perfectly understandable.

8. sly_karma

I love my neighbour.

Summit, gareth_oau, Crystal and 4 others like this.
  9. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You could probably stop after the first four words and still be correct.

sly_karma, Chalkie and main street like this.
  10. main street

Ontario ski hills to be shut down along with the rest of the state on Boxing day.....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...kdown-begins-on-boxing-day-not-christmas-eve/

People just won't learn & do the right thing...... Big White's major fu** up with now a 96 case cluster is not doing any of the BC ski hills any favors at all.

Bonnie Henry has said BC hills won't be shut down,.... Yet. .... My guess is they are a hairs breadth away now....

Chalkie likes this.
  11. main street

Figured 72 hrs was just the start....

Canada extends U.K. flight ban 2 more weeks amid COVID-19 mutations
    Canada will extend its ban on flights from the United Kingdom another two weeks in order to prevent the spread of a new coronavirus strain, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Wednesday.

12. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Some pics below from today's Christmas Eve trip to Whistler. It was pretty glorious - a mix and sun and light cloud, no wind, and temp stayed below zero all day, making for very, very nice snow:

13. sly_karma

How's the cover?

14. main street

Here we go.....

Chalkie likes this.
  15. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

Kicking horse and Fernie trip report.
    We left our home in Calgary and headed out to Golden for the first leg of our road trip. The gondola is struggling with covid restrictions, 2, 3 or 4 per cohort when a gondola should have 8 really blows the wait time. We stayed in the lower mountain quad which had 20cm anyway and was more than enough for the family to kick around on.
    Everyone is masked and mostly doing the right thing but with only 4 cases in Golden the locals are somewhat relaxed about things.
    30cm on the 22nd meant we were digging out the car from our Airbnb and joining the queue for the gondola at 845. We eventually arrived at the top at 1115 and stayed high for the remainder of the day.
    Most knee deep wind packed powder snow. A dream come true for me, and seeing kids smash through as well was truly amazing.
    On to Fernie for Christmas and mostly icy to begin with but 5 - 10cm transformed the mountain and we've had a great time. Favourite run has been under White Pass quad.

Val Desire, bomber, robbo mcs and 6 others like this.
  16. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

Kimberley ski resort.
    After Fernie the skiing was more to Mrs Gumbie's liking. A nice VRBO/airbnb condo with ski in-ski out and no other booking since 30 November made it affordable and covid safe.
    Very relaxing skiing around the whole mountain with the kids picking off the steeper sections as we cruised the greens. The night skiing was fun and off the quad. The fireworks were cancelled due to covid on New year's Eve which was a letdown, but we're used to that now.
    For those planning road trips I agree with most comments, it's worth a visit, very family friendly but two days is all you really need. The platzl downtown is nice to visit as well.
    Mostly cloudy with a few cents over corduroy was very nice early, and when the sun comes out the views are beautiful.
    The best part was heading away from the night lights and skiing under a near full moon, above the clouds with the moon lighting up everything. An amazing end to 2020.
    On to Panorama......

17. sly_karma

Good old Kimberley. There are some pretty juicy gladed areas if you know where to look.

Sage Oya likes this.
  18. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

When I was in Kimberley, no snow and no lifts.
    Had all these lifts marked on the map but didn't exist. Only a few old pylons from previous lifts.

19. main street

Chalkie likes this.
  20. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Met an older person and his wife who live in Ontario but have a place near the gondola in Whistler. He was telling me he was coming over on Jan 12 for 3 months. Sounds like his plan may be on hold. Last 2 times at Whistler met them in the line for the gondola. Great the friendships that skiing allows you to make.

Roymond likes this.
  21. main street

Well,.... Ontario is not that far behind Quebec and it's got it's own version of a lockdown currently too.....

Then there's the fact that BC has "banned" all interprovincial travel,..... I don't see how their plans will be met with much favour in BC....

22. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like it

23. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

Panorama ski resort report.
    We're still managing to avoid covid, although for every experience we say we'll see how that goes in 4 or 5 days. As to essential travel, there were a lot of Alberta plates at Panorama. We stayed in Invermere as the hill was booked out in our price range during the holidays. I imagine many people were from Calgary so we tried to be extra careful. Everyone at the ski hills is pretty much doing all they can. Stay local orders have been followed by majority, only Alberta politicians think it's ok to do a Scomo and fly to Hawaii!
    As to the skiing, first day was spent with wife exploring lower mountain. Plenty of choice of blue groomers and a day can go quite quickly.
    20cm-30cm overnight and fresh tracks could be found until about 11am even with a crowded chair in the village. I don't know where everyone went. A few runs down through fresh snow was an experience to last me a while, I don't know when I'll get back to the Rockies.
    Kiddos made it to their first double diamond run. We take this with a grain of salt at family friendly Panorama, but they were stoked (and made it down alive).
    We cold ways spend more time in each resort but on the mountain collective panorama was a great couple if days. The drive through Kootenay National Park was awesome as well, with some snow shoeing stops along the way. Lake Louise on way back to Calgary next.

24. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Early Days

Great pics.
    Just for fun, how is it you and the fam have the opportunity to travel from Aus to Canada during Chinavirus??

25. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Is that you Donald?
    In any event, Gumbie was already in Canada (Calgary) before the pandemic hit.

Captain Caveman likes this.
  26. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I know you barely got to scratch the surface, but what were your impressions of Panorama vis a vis other resorts you have visited?

27. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

We have been on teacher exchange for 2020, arriving in December 19. We went to Hawaii and Colorado on way over. I'm glad we didn't leave our USA leg till the end.

What timing eh?

We have had highs and lows. The biggest low was the march lockdown and losing our family season pass to Lake Louise. I'd waited a long time for that spring.
    The biggest high is the snow gods delivering in October, so we've skied Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. 11 resorts and my ski goals attached to the exchange have come true.
    Our last ski was at Calgary Olympic Park on Thursday night when news hit of the new restrictions announced by Scomo. We are due to fly out on Saturday morning here and arrive Monday morning Australian tune, so the journey is just about over. We should sneak in before the restrictions take place.
    It will be weird being in Australia during covid. The kids have certainly learned some resilience, which is the goal if an exchange, but Boy O Boy what a year.

Val Desire and Lady Penelope like this.
  28. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

Lake Louise.
    This resort has been our home resort and it was nice to finish here as we headed back to Calgary. Kids were pretty much beginners in Colorado and very nervous here in early January. What a difference a year makes!
    13 year old ripped the double black diamond runs in the back bowl. Miss 10 year old achieved her goal of completing Exhibition, a long black bumpy run under the Ptarmigan chair. Wife was a little overawed but made it around blue Boomerang run to enjoy back bowl in full sunshine. Just a magnificent day.
    Next day the son and I checked out the new West Bowl. Unfortunately it was cloudy and snowing, so a great adventure from the summit heading into the mist, with some fresh tracks well earned and through the treed gully well worth the effort.
    We stayed at the Mountaineer Lodge. The price, the kitchenette, the free shuttle, this place is excellent. How do we stump up for so much for accom in resort or Jindy in Australia?
    I got one week as a kid in Selwyn when I was 9. My goal was to give my kids a better snow experience and I think they've done alright.
    Huge covid warming tents are set up where a cramped Temple Lodge used to the trick.

Val Desire, Kimski, Pademelon and 3 others like this.
  29. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

11th hour calls for an 11th resort. Sorry, ski hill.

Why not finish at Lake Louise? With the expression "I've got an opportunity to ski in Canada and I'm gonna take it", we did our last few turns in Calgary before heading home.

Just a bit of fun enjoying where Eddie the Eagle flew and remembering the Jamaican bobsled team.

Val Desire, Chalkie and sly_karma like this.
  30. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

I think that Panorama has a lot to offer. But you're right, we only scratched the surface. We never ventured into "Teynton bowl". As panorama is all below the tree line there was no sense of a beautiful bowl.
    The inverted commas above sets the scene for how I would compare the resorts. For me the best resorts have a true bowl.
    I'll cherish the memory of hiking from the Stoke Chair and turning the corner for the view of The North Bowl at Revelstoke, and then waiting for my son to catch up and be equally impressed. That's why we came to The Canadian Rockies.
    Being able to drop into a bowl is even better. So comparing Fernie this way, with true large bowls, but you can't really drop in, you mostly traverse.
    So the big ones are deservedly so, Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Fernie, Kicking Horse.
    Then great ski destinations, Sun Peaks, Sunshine, Panorama are all awesome.
    Then next rung, Kimberley, Nakiska, Norquay and COP are all worth visiting.
    Despite an wonderful early some terrain wasn't open. We missed Goats Eye at Sunshine and Peak chair at Fernie.

Chalkie and absentskier like this.