Bushfire 2020-2021 fire season

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
The declaration of "fire season "I would hazard a guess as having it's origin in one enquiry or the other be it a direct recommendation or regulatory response . This is pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise.

Artisan

Hard Yards
Dec 8, 2020
North West of Brisbane
In NSW the fire season is the time of year when you need a permit to have a fire, and it runs from the start of October to the end of March. If conditions dictate, this can be extended, but requires government approval. Extensions are done on a shire basis, so if the northern Monaro is in the middle of a drought and a hot windy September is predicted the season is extended for the whole Snowy Monaro shire, even if we are under a metre of snow. The same applies to the daily fire danger ratings, if it is hot and windy at Bredbo they may call a High Fire Danger even though it could be pouring rain here. It seems to me that these area boundaries should have stayed as they were before the merger, but that horse has long bolted.

Around South East QLD, unless there is a total fire ban, you need a permit at any time of the year to light a fire bigger then two square metres from memory. For me farm I’ve had three permits this year.

Artisan

Hard Yards
Dec 8, 2020
North West of Brisbane
The declaration of "fire season "I would hazard a guess as having it's origin in one enquiry or the other be it a direct recommendation or regulatory response . This is pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise.

Majikthise, I’d say yer right there. Government departments need some sort of set guidelines to do anything so setting an annual date as to the official start allows them to plan and make lots of pretty charts. Unfortunately a set date do not take into account fuel load apart from a vague association with seasonal vegetation growth rates and die-off. With the media the term would have gradually come to predominate because everybody knows the seasons and the met is reported daily but where is the fuel load report that they can easily report on. Also a bit hard to incorporate an interpretation of timber types and fuel load mosaic into a brief bit of hysterical reporting.

I’d say a big factor in the evolution towards deciding that a fire ‘season’ is the answer to our fire problems would of had a lot to do with the input of one of Australia’s large bureaucratic organisations - our beloved BoM. They deal in weather - not fuel load.

In Australia fires have burnt at any time of the year and it is a bit stupid to say “one of the earliest starts of the season”

From newspaper, 19th July 1888:

“...STANTHORPE.
The weather is bitterly cold. Some small flakes of snow fell this morning.
The country is very dry and bush fires are prevalent...”
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/171523346

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
So while all the other nonsense is getting us down, a few reminders coming through of one of the worst days from last year. All the feels today. Hope those impacted last year are recovering well
upload_2020-12-21_10-22-48.png

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
No discussion on all the WA activity over the past week or 2, though it's kinda standard stuff.

Emergency Warning just came through for Merrijig and Mt Buller

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
A couple of fires are causing grief near Heathcote and Graytown in Vic today.
Heard at least one strike team heading there. Seemed they were sent to one job, then another kicked off but the second was kept to something smaller and allowed them to keep going to the original request. Drove Halls Gap to Daylesford today and whilst the temp wasn’t too high, it was clear and real windy. Grasses are all looking fully cured too

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Early burnoff season underway already?! We didn't know until we walked outside tonight and could smell smoke strongly. Hey @teckel can you blow your Narby burnoff smoke back the other way please? It's thick as anything here. Between Narby and Glenburn burnoffs, we were ready to call 000 about an hour ago :confused:

Reactions: Untele-whippet

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Early burnoff season underway already?! We didn't know until we walked outside tonight and could smell smoke strongly. Hey @teckel can you blow your Narby burnoff smoke back the other way please? It's thick as anything here. Between Narby and Glenburn burnoffs, we were ready to call 000 about an hour ago :confused:
Yep. 2 burnoffs around here today. One in south Narby (45 ha) and one at Castella-Marginal Rd in the Black Range (allegedly 600 ha). The latter is possibly closer to you than me? And the probable cause of your smoke. Was smoky here all afternoon too.
Another 5 burnoffs are planned. I'll let you know when they plan to light those ones.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Yep. 2 burnoffs around here today. One in south Narby (45 ha) and one at Castella-Marginal Rd in the Black Range (allegedly 600 ha). The latter is possibly closer to you than me? And the probable cause of your smoke. Was smoky here all afternoon too.
Another 5 burnoffs are planned. I'll let you know when they plan to light those ones.
Apparently there was one last night at Nagambie too, though the wind was blowing south so it was from down your way. Cool burns are fine, stubble burners should be shot (we heard the Naggers burn was stubble).

It was amazing how quickly the smoke came through last night, when I fed the dog and returned her to the orchard at 8 there was nothing. When we locked the chooks up at 9.30 we were worried there were fires close by!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Apparently there was one last night at Nagambie too, though the wind was blowing south so it was from down your way. Cool burns are fine, stubble burners should be shot (we heard the Naggers burn was stubble).

It was amazing how quickly the smoke came through last night, when I fed the dog and returned her to the orchard at 8 there was nothing. When we locked the chooks up at 9.30 we were worried there were fires close by!
Conditions atm are ideal for planned burns - not hot, wet bush, little if any wind etc.
Go to https://plannedburns.ffm.vic.gov.au/ for info about planned burns in your area.
The legend is:
Magenta: Within 10 Days
The burn site is expected to be ignited within the next 10 days if conditions are suitable
Pink: Next 24 hours
The burn may begin at any time within the next 24 hours if conditions are suitable.

Red: Now
The burn is currently being ignited.

Blue: Patrolled
Lighting of the burn is complete and it is now being patrolled. Smoke and flames may still be visible.

Green: Safe
No active fire in burn and no need to patrol. Burn may be re-ignited later.

Aqua: Planned burns
Burns planned over the next three years

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
still pretty crispy grass up our way eh @sastrugi ?
No! We're pretty green up here actually. Drove to Yarrawonga today and upon returning home I'd say we're really green, especially for Feb. Shocking cropping techniques up that way - all brown and dusty, no cover cropping.
Sure, we have some long dry grass but lots of green underneath. This small bush paddock had a mob of about 50 sheep eat/trample/wee/poo on it for 5 days about 5 weeks ago and been resting since. Stoked with how it's come back. How crispy is it your way?

IMG_8975.JPG

Reactions: Majikthise and mr

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yeah i havent been for a couple of weeks but it was still pretty crispy....we arent grazing (other than kangaroos, wallabies and wombats) so we probably didnt get the warm season grass freshen up with the rain, or with the re-shoot after an intensive graze like yours. ill be up on the weekend, ill see how its looking. We tend not to go over summer, but now autumn is here is expect we will be up more often as autumn-winter are our fave times up there, not having dams or a permanent house.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass