1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2020 / 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 12, 2020.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect an older policy might have a "pandemics" clause, which is like theoir FM.

Newer policies have since added a COVID clause.

If I was traveling, I would expect that the policy remains valid for lost luggage, broken legs etc, that aren't COVID related, but if you end up in a foreign ICU with respiratory issues then bad luck.

I'm wondering if for a hefty premium add-on you can purchase COVID cover - I'm sure someone like Berkshire Hathoway will be looking into that as we speak.

2. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Out of curiosity, I checked my annual travel insurance policy (bought from Allianz Canada last August). It does not have a pandemic exclusion clause. BUT it has this:

Benefits are not payable for loss or costs
    incurred due to, contributed to by, or
    resulting from any sickness or injury when
    such sickness or injury occurs in a city,
    region, or country for which Global Affairs
    Canada issued a travel advisory before the
    effective date to avoid all travel, or to avoid
    non-essential travel, to that city, region, or
    country, and such sickness or injury is due
    to, contributed to by, or resulting from the
    reason for the warning​

Global Affairs Canada issued a "avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice" global travel advisory on 13 March 2020. Any trips commenced after that date would not have been covered under this policy.

3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

DFAT also has do not travel advice for the entire world. Voids any insurance with just that.

Chalkie likes this.
  4. teleroo

teleroo Lincoln Terns Ski Pass: Gold

Are we even allowed to leave the country ATM?

5. chicski

Nope.
    7 April 2020: All overseas travel is currently banned, with few exceptions. If you’re overseas and want to return, we urge you to do so as soon as possible while flights are available. Where there aren’t options, we’re working to make flights available for you.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au

6. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Apparently some travel insurances are paying out, I have a client booked for the states and they were told that that they will get refunds but have to accept any “credits” offered. Some of the credits are undated so they are happy, others have a two year date which still works but I think one accommodation offered a six month credit which they won’t be able to use.

The Airbnb have said that the refund is up to the owner so they got some money back from one owner and not from others.

Fwiw I have also heard on the grapevine that international travel will be blocked until after Christmas as a way to boost Aussie tourism. They will then release the bans in January to help with Uni admissions.

Chalkie likes this.
  7. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Okay so we are being optimistic and started planning so when the times comes we can pull the trigger. Eastern side of the Rockies for us out of Calgary.....road trippin' :)

Slalom and Chalkie like this.
  8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Mountain Collective again? Now with Pano!
    I’m looking at Easter 2021. Have to work around kids schooling.

9. Crystal

yeah probably not.....wait and see what pans out. We are doing Dec/Jan ...bloody expensive time but has to fit with school holidays (for me, not necessarily the kids ;) )

10. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You are obviously willing to risk landing in a Canadian hospital with Covid19 without travel insurance. Big call?

11. gareth_oau

just like ski cover it won't be long before the insurance companies start offering optional (expensive) covid cover

12. Crystal

No not at all...... I am being optimistic and planning my holiday. Planning the trip is 50% of the fun for me.

Joe and Roymond like this.
  13. absentskier

I get it! Just wondering how we are all going to get over the insurance hurdle.

Crystal likes this.
  14. Crystal

yeah.... I think huge premiums are going to be likely :( we'll have to pool our ski.com.au resources and scour the world for the best value and coverage insurance policy :)

15. gareth_oau

I agree, the planning is what I'm really missing now - hunting al the optimal deals and pricing, planning the
    schedule and creating an excel busget to track costs versus estimates.

And creating the countdown...

Joe likes this.
  16. Crystal

nnnaaaahhhhh just start it I have. Spreadsheet already in draft

Roymond likes this.
  17. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Zeroz likes this.
  18. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Ironic that the “best case scenario” includes welcoming US visitors from September onwards (I’d have a huge “keep out” sign at the border if I was a Canadian given the state of play with COVID in the USA).

zac150 and skichanger like this.
  19. absentskier

I'm thinking later 2021 is looking more likely.
    vaccine could take years to develop and be released in bulk.

20. Chalkie

Under British Columbia's "restart plan" published today, "international tourism" is a "stage 4" activity, and "conditional on at least one of the following; wide vaccination, 'community' immunity, broad successful treatments". If at least one of these conditions isn't satisfied by season 20-21, as things currently stand it looks like we won't be welcoming foreigners to BC. Probably not as big an issue for smaller more local hills than it is for somewhere like Whistler.

21. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It cuts both ways Chalkie. Fewer international tourists is certainly a problem, but there'll also be fewer Aussie/Kiwi youngsters on working holiday visas to do the front line jobs. Domestic unemployment will make those jobs somewhat more appealing to Canadians, maybe. Still lots of concern in the Okanagan over labour shortages in the orchards and vineyards due to most temporary foreign workers being unable to travel to Canada. Not yet seeing locals stepping up and getting into farm life.

Chalkie likes this.
  22. Chalkie

Seasonal labour movement concern in lots of places - the UK too, with little evidence there that locals have grabbed the seasonal farm jobs.

I wonder what it will take for there to be a shift to local labour?

23. sly_karma

In BC at least, the farmers are really hoping local labour will show up because those temp workers are unlikely to be seen this year. In the Okanagan we usually get an influx of youngsters from Quebec, they hitch across country after uni exams finish and start showing up here mid May. Doesn't seem likely that many of them will come this year, and given the mess of infection they have in Montreal, most westerners are hoping they do stay home. But the orchardists and tree planting contractors will sorely miss them.

24. Crystal

I know of one that would happily come over to work outside if he can live in your basement :)

25. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I unfortunately can’t see Australia letting anyone out for a holiday to Canada or USA till we have a medical breakthrough and this could be years away.
    I’m writing off 20/21 with low chances of even getting over in 21/22.

zac150 likes this.
  26. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That paints a disturbing picture for our general economy if correct. 1930’s style.

Apresski likes this.
  27. absentskier

Yeah from a selfish perspective, I am devastated about what's happening in the USA. It is an extremely bitter pill to swallow but we are not expecting travel to there to be feasible for a couple of years. I really hope I'm wrong.

28. sly_karma

Not to mention Canadian border closures and inbound travel regs. Just the notion of 14 day quarantine upon arrival will make most prospective visitors say "pass". BC has a very conservative Public Health Officer who is revered for her adept handling of the pandemic thus far. We are on the brink of moving to Phase 3 conditions, unrestricted international tourism is Phase 5 and she has repeatedly said phase 5 doesnt happen until there is a widely distributed effective vaccine or herd immunity. Washington state, our nearest neighbour, is having a savage second wave at the moment so there is considerable resolve to keep the borders closed. BC premier regularly in the PMs ear on this issue and the success of BCs pandemic efforts gives him additional weight.

29. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I was in BC feb/mar and the Washington aged care outbreak was terrible, They were extremely worried about ferry passengers bringing cases into BC.
    I was lucky our flight home was just days before everything was locked down.
    Yes this will be a big blow to everyone’s economy so we are unfortunately going to have to rely on an increase in domestic tourism.

30. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Qantas just announced it will be grounding it’s long range A380 planes for 3 years.
    They are now all being stored in the Mojave dessert.
    I think the writing is on the wall right there for international long range travel for qantas.
    Air NZ announced a similar outlook recently too.

zac150 likes this.
  31. chicski

:cry:

32. zac150

just like Mexico does, who would have thought, Trump has managed to keep Mexicans out without building a wall.....

Lady Penelope likes this.
  33. zac150

Joyce also stated that international travel was unlikely until mid 2021 at best.

34. sly_karma

1. The Americans already had a wall. Sections in key locations like San Diego/Tijuana have been there for decades.
    2. Trump has built more wall during his term, all US funded.
    3. Huge expanses of border remain unwalled and the illegal crossings continue. But the old white people feel safer because the wall is getting longer.

35. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I have a family ski trip booked for the 2020 Xmas period to Whistler (with QFF points). This was booked back in April when i 'hoped' this would be a distant memory by December but unfortunately that is not going to be the case. I can cancel with no penalty by 31 October but i will probably do that sooner rather than later now :( I'm considering other options within the US (accessible with EPIC Pass) for the same period. I'm thinking Vail/BC is the best option in terms of snow at that time & will be watching closely to see how Vail operates Perisher this season. Many of the US resorts are just opening for their summer season this week too

36. zac150

you missed the sarcasm in my post, with the rate of infection in the US sky rocketing the Mexicans are happier to stay home.

30,000 new infections and it is now rampant in Florida a retirement state which isn’t good. I am now questioning 21/22. I think it will be vaccine or stay home for us (personally) and I imagine the government will have a similar view.

37. zac150

I don’t mean to sound rude but your considering ditching Canada for the US? There were nearly 40,000 new cases in the US yesterday so I doubt Aussie’s will be allowed to travel there.

Also consider vail are a very Red company when it comes to political donations, (they support nominees who will protect there water rights over longer term investments in climate change), whilst donations don’t always represent political bias It’s a good indicator. Point is I don’t think in the US they would operate in the same manner as vail are forced to here.

38. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

You're not being rude - you just missed my location (i'm already in the US). I wholeheartedly agree that Canada is a lower risk destination but it looks like it will be off-limits for tourists, particularly from US for the next few months and possibly part of 2021 too.
    I agree that Vail is likely to push hard to fully reopen for the 2020/21 northern hemisphere season - most businesses in the US are already screaming at their local/state representatives to reopen.

Crystal, gareth_oau and zac150 like this.
  39. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Just wondering what others think I've got accommodation booked for late January to early February 2021 at Silver Star deposit goes non -refundable end August it's looking increasingly unlikely travel from Australia will be possible so do I cancel now or wait 2 more months?

40. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What's the opportunity cost of waiting until the last minute to cancel? What else can't you do with that cash by not cancelling now?

GlendaN and zac150 like this.
  41. Doonks

I think you've got 2 questions to ask yourself
    1. Do I think I will be allowed/able to travel to Canada? If I am,
    2. Do I want to travel to Canada?

I was supposed to fly to the USA on 01/08. I decided in late April that even if I could I almost certainly wouldn't want to.

GlendaN and zac150 like this.
  42. sly_karma

Clearly stated position of BC provincial health officer is no international tourism until w have at least one of the following in place and functioning:
    • Vaccine
    • Treatment for virus
    • Herd immunity
    Take your best guess on the first two, the third won't happen by winter as we are right now at less than 0.1% of population has had the virus, 60% is needed.

GlendaN likes this.
  43. Doonks

1 & 3 could literally be years away. 2 could mean anything, or nothing

GlendaN likes this.
  44. gareth_oau

Are you aware that travel insurance will exclude covid cover. So if you end up in hospital with covid, you will bear that cost by yourself (I'd suggest about $50k)

GlendaN likes this.
  45. GlendaN

Good point a few things including I guess an alternative trip in Australia

46. GlendaN

Yes that was my husband's thoughts discussing it yesterday he wouldn't want to go even if we could. Looking at the following on comments all valid points so thank you I think I was just still hoping something would turn up but it looks like times run out. Hopefully 2022 will be better and at least we can ski in Australia.

Doonks likes this.
  47. WaistDeep

WaistDeep Hard Yards

I have asked for refund of deposit (under the booking terms) for accomodation in Whistler we had booked in late January. I have until September to decide whether I will do the same at Kicking Horse - and it's looking like a 99% chance of no-go.

If we make a last minute decision to travel, I'm sure that there will be plenty of accomodation options (if not flights?).

GlendaN likes this.
  48. GlendaN

Yes we can always rebook as you say if it's feasible. Hanging out for a vaccine. Don't know how you ski Kicking Horse way to steep for me we visited in summer to get a shot glass and they had sold out the day before! Runs from the Top were impressive.

WaistDeep likes this.
  49. teleroo

teleroo Lincoln Terns Ski Pass: Gold

I found one mob who'll cover you for US $100k of covid health costs. Company was called Seven Countries or something like that. Cost was reasonable. So not impossible.

GlendaN likes this.
  50. Crystal

I am waiting right up to the wire to cancel....but have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we won't be skiing next Northern Hemi season :(

Roymond and GlendaN like this.