1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2020 / 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hoodie, Apr 12, 2020.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

good stuff. Who was ut? What sort of premiums ? Do they cover on-snow as well?

GlendaN likes this.
  2. teleroo

teleroo Ignored Member Ski Pass: Gold

www.sevencorners.com

I used their online estimator, and got a manual quote too, which came in cheaper, so explore that option. Refundable too, prior to departure. Yes to snow options.

Crystal, GlendaN and gareth_oau like this.
  3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah fair call on the meaning of "treatment". Govt of Canada and especially BC are very sensitive about borders and incoming tourists ATM as you can imagine given the gong show happening south of the border. BC Premier and Health Minister actively and vocally urging the PM to extend the US border closure another month, that would take it out to Aug 21. Given her adept handling of things so far, Dr Henry's position on anything covid-related will be adopted by govt for the foreseeable future. They backed her up all the way in saying no to the NHL using Vancouver as a hub city because she felt their contingency plans for players testing positive during the playoffs wasn't in line with public safety. She's clearly and repeatedly said any purported treatments will be observed in other jurisdictions for efficacy and possible harms over considerable time before any possible implementation in BC. With very low transmission rates in the community and ample resources available for contact tracing and outbreak suppression, BC can afford to wait a while before moving ahead with a treatment. I still think treatment is most likely to be the first condition met of the three possibles listed as criteria for phase 4. Australia is in a similarly strong position, and no pesky land border with the US likely to bleed a few cases across. Seems unlikely we'll see travel between our two countries without quarantine in both directions for quite a few months.

Joe, Chalkie and GlendaN like this.
  4. GlendaN

GlendaN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Seems unlikely we'll see travel between our two countries without quarantine in both directions for quite a few months.[/QUOTE]
    Yes agreed perhaps if no reliable vaccine or treatment in forseeable future then safer areas will allow travel between themselves as Europe has done but this is probably a fair way off.

Joe likes this.
  5. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I would sit tight - if you don't need to cancel yet then don't do it yet. Flights to the US from Australia are probably six-months away (at best) but i see no reason why the direct SYD - YVR flights couldn't return in time for the northern hemisphere ski season. We have been immersed in the pandemic for 17 weeks now & there's 20 weeks until Christmas. A lot can change in that timeframe.

Joe and GlendaN like this.
  6. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

But bear in mind that the B.C. Chief Health Officer (who is running things here) has said no international travel until an effective vaccine and/or treatment. 80% of Canadians want to keep the US land border closed indefinitely. And right now those who can come lawfully to B.C. have to quarantine (which is monitored) for 14 days after arrival.

I agree don't cancel flights (and generally speaking it is better to wait until the airline cancels the flights as that may open up better refund or rebooking options), but I'd not be too confident of being able to come. As things currently stand, the 20-21 season may be a B.C. locals season only - unless there's some sort of breakthrough with a vaccine or treatment, and as @summit_32 says, a lot might happen in 20 weeks.

GlendaN and zac150 like this.
  7. Chalkie

I just got notice that Qantas has cancelled all international flights from October out to March 2021. While this just reflects the IATA northern hemisphere winter season, and theoretically if international travel opens up again QF flights could resume, I don't think QF would have done this without good cause (which could include advance warning of the extension of the jobkeeper programme for airline staff for example).

The signs are inching ever closer to a locals only season in B.C. (which could of course change if there was some sort of treatment / prevention breakthrough on the Covid-19 front).

GlendaN likes this.
  8. GlendaN

Thanks Chalkie fo r the update. Luckily for me it's just an accommodation deposit but I just can't see it happening and even if possible to get there not sure we would risk it given we are entering our golden years. I think I'll just reschedule to 2022 and hope for a vaccine in meantime. Others are in much tougher situations than worrying about a holiday so plenty to be thankful for.

Roymond, sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  9. GlendaN

Bit the bullet and cancelled in light of recent events in Australia. Only one happy was the credit card :(

gareth_oau and Chalkie like this.
  10. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Wise decision. The other thing to consider if flights did proceed is whether there would be any travel cover for catching COVID overseas. Pretty confident it would be a very expensive exercise should you need hospital treatment.

GlendaN likes this.
  11. GlendaN

Yes agreed probably no cover at all. It's disappointing but hopefully situation will improve next year.

12. gareth_oau

Someone mentioned earlier that there are nolicies that cover Covid.
    Not sure how expensive, what limits are in play, nor how reliable the company is.

However its safe to assume that insurance is a commercial opportunity waiting to be serviced so the longer we wait the greater number of insurance products will hit the market

GlendaN and Roymond like this.
  13. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I'm going to have to bite the bullet I think...end of the month will be the date for me :(

GlendaN likes this.
  14. GlendaN

I understand your disappointment totally. I just can't see it being possible unfortunately.

15. sly_karma

BC is having a mild surge in cases at the moment. Nothing too extreme, we've gone from single digits daily to 20-30 a day due mostly to a party group in Kelowna back at the beginning of the month. But the valley is swarming with tourists like I haven't seen in years, and they're partying it up like normal summer. Seems inevitable there will be further outbreaks. The province has the resources to chase down the contacts because there are very few cases being treated, so it shouldn't amount to anything much, but the guards are back up. The US border closure has again been renewed for another month. The next big step is restart of schools in early Sept and it's really important to the govt to get them all back in normal class sizes and hours. With those factors in mind, I'd say there is zero chance of any relaxation at all on the 14 day quarantine for incoming visitors anytime soon.

Chalkie and GlendaN like this.
  16. GlendaN

Thanks for the update. Australia also having an upsurge apparently due to some poor behavior by a few sadly resulting in increased hospitalisations and deaths.

17. Chalkie

We've been talking about our forthcoming trip to the Valley. We think we can still travel responsibly - we aren't planning on participating in any "party houses", and are totally devoted to mask wearing and other Covid safety protocols. We also aren't planning on doing any "massed" activities - everything we're planning on doing is small, Covid-safe, stuff and won't involve Covid unsafe crowds.

We have however decided to postpone a trip to Alberta until next year. The remainder of this year's travel is confined to B.C. and the great outdoors.

18. sly_karma

Took this pic yesterday waiting at a light in Penticton. How did he get let in?

19. Crystal

Probably been in for a while... you know Canada is better than the US...he is a smart one

20. retread

retread Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Sadly cancelled our Sun Peaks accomodation for January 2021 last night. Onwards and upwards to 2022.

21. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hopefully we'll join you in 2022.
    I'm still holding out feint hope for some spring skiing in the Easter school holidays next year though.
    Vaccine people please do your thing.

Roymond, retread and Crystal like this.
  22. sly_karma

Seems apparent that we will have a ski season 20/21, but without international visitors. Some tough questions to ponder for many resorts - will they be viable with only rubber tyre traffic?

dawooduck and Roymond like this.
  23. Chalkie

Well, Whistler-Blackcomb is offering a season. I got an email today explaining how things would work (and I'd bought our passes yesterday - we opted for a ten day restricted (excluded the main holidays, which we've learned to avoid, although if Americans and Australians are absent, I wonder if the crowds will be too unbearable then) Edge card. This included a summer ride (which we used today), some resort discounts and additional days at discounted rates. We chose this as we are planning to do some Powder Highway stuff this season and bought the Mountain Collective pass to cover most of that.

So, in summary (and there's lot of fine print I still have to wade through), to ski at Whistler this season requires a reservation in advance. Pass holders can start making priority reservations from 6 November, and can reserve up to seven days (for the "core season", 8 December to 4 April) at any one time.

"Week of" advance reservations are permitted (eg, if conditions are looking good), but you can't go over the seven day maximum.

Subject to reading the fine print, I think what we will do is book a week up here (say Sunday to Saturday, and reserve 4 skiing days - Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri), and keep a rotating 3 days up our sleeve for "week of" reservations, depending on conditions. I imagine it's going to be a bit of bunfight and careful watching of weather forecasts and taking some punts will be necessary.

24. sly_karma

Sounds like business mostly as usual at Apex. Crowds not really an issue, no talk of reservations. Worst I've ever seen is a 10 minute wait for the quad on Presidents Day weekend (and the locals were spewing).

Chalkie likes this.
  25. Chalkie

Fascinating report on the news tonight about Big White's challenges in staffing the ski hill this season. It was reported that BW takes on 600 foreign staff. This year that labour pool is effectively closed.

The plea for local labour has gone out, but it appears it is not attracting the desired numbers. One of the Covid challenges is housing staff in physically distanced circumstances. The resort cannot offer this, and acknowledges staff will have to travel to work. The report did not say what "travel to work" means!

26. sly_karma

That will change once the CERB ends.

Chalkie likes this.
  27. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaps time to pay staff a little better? That may attract more kids and even mature angers lacking employment? I guess BW could organise buses from Kelowna for staff as many young folks won’t have cars. Time to be innovative?

Chalkie likes this.
  28. Crystal

I think a staff bus would be an ideal fix.

29. gareth_oau

up to 600 staff is a lot of buses, especially if they socially distance on the buses

dawooduck likes this.
  30. Crystal

true..... some could stay on the hill though, I think they will need less staff this year due to no international guests. here's hoping some local young ones get a look in.

31. toxicfox

toxicfox Hard Yards

Good for the young locals if they want the jobs. The other side is all the IEC that headed over last winter. 3 months in they all lost their jobs and came back home. If they don’t get back 20/21 then what ?
    No IEC being processed this year and no talk of extensions either.
    Personally biased here.

32. sly_karma

The employment market is messed up at present. BC is sitting at 10% unemployment but recovering quickly. Most of the full time jobs are back, the hotel and hospitality sector is worst affected. What is making it worse is the Canada Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB). It's a flat 2000 per month and requires zero documentation of loss of job or active work search. For people on minimum wage or just above it, that 2K is close enough to their normal earnings that they'd rather stay home and collect rather than go to work and face the hazards of service or retail work in the time of the virus. No doubt some are topping up with some under the table part time and generally enjoying the holiday on Justin's tab.

Employers are frustrated because there's no one answering help wanted ads, and longtime employees continue to stay home, claiming fear of illness or child care challenges. CERB is supposed to run out at end of October and then revert back to the normal Employment Insurance system, but it has been extended twice already so who knows. It's definitely distorting the job market in the front line worker sector.

The ski resorts are targeting the central Canada market to replace the lost US and Australian visitors, and it will probably work. Canadians fly or drive to sunshine destinations in droves all winter, but if these remain closed off then a Canadian staycation is the only alternative. Domestic flights are ticking along at reduced levels but still flying and volume is slowly creeping up as people learn to live with the pandemic. January will be a problem as only the hard-core powder chasers book trips in the coldest, brokest month of the year, but expect very healthy numbers at Christmas and February onward. The big destination resorts definitely have a problem brewing filling all those frontline jobs. Orchards and vineyards in the valley have been crying out for people to pick fruit and winter will be more of the same.

33. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

G'day,
    We're fortunate enough to already be in Canada and looking forward to the season ahead, returning home after a year on teacher exchange on 7 January (assuming we don't get bumped off our flight).
    Sorry to hear of everyone having to cancel their plans for this northern winter.
    Our family of 4 has the Mountain Collective pass and Epic which gives us 7 days at RCR (plus 2021 Perisher, FC and Hotham).
    So we plan on weekends at Fernie, Sunshine and Lake Louise during school term, then a road trip.

Where is the best place for Christmas? I'm thinking Panorama but could also do Revelstoke.
    Advice please, what is the best way to book accom, what are the best value for money lodges/apartments?
    Golden - have a airbnb booked just out of town.
    Fernie - we have credit at Slopeside lodge.
    Lake Louise - we've used Mountaineer lodge this year.
    Sunshine - is there anywhere else on snow apart from the main lodge?
    Panorama, Sun Peaks and Revelstoke - all on snow tips appreciated, we would like to mix eating in and visiting restaurants.

Thanks

34. sly_karma

Revy if you can get rooms. Anything within cooee of Calgary or Vancouver will be slammed at Christmas. Also try Red, although it's a longer drive.

35. gareth_oau

ig you stsy on-snow over christmas new year week, you will need a second mortgage.

Pricing starts to creep up the week before christmas, and then takes a mssive hike on Boxing Day (??) and then drop again on the monday after new years

36. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

Canada's borders will remain closed for quite some time yet.

My estimate is sometime after the end of March 2021..... Winter will see an uphill battle against CV19 here I'm thinking.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau indicated he plans to keep Canada’s borders closed as long as coronavirus cases remain elevated in the U.S.

“We have committed to keeping Canadians safe and we keep extending the border closures because the States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders,” the prime minister said Wednesday morning in an interview with a radio station in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

“We will continue to make sure that Canadian safety is top of mind when we move forward. We see the cases in the United States and elsewhere around the world, and we need to continue to keep these border controls in place,” he added.

Trudeau closed Canada’s international borders to non-essential travel in March when the Covid-19 pandemic hit. Similar restrictions went into effect along the U.S.-Canada border with exemptions for trade.

The U.S. and Canadian governments have renewed the closure on a monthly basis, with non-essential travel currently restricted until Oct. 21.

Facing pressure to ramp up relief efforts for hard-hit airlines and the tourism sector, Trudeau has resisted industry calls to loosen travel restrictions. His government is planning to promote Canada as a safe destination for international travel once the pandemic subsides.

retread and Chalkie like this.
  37. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Can we just start a 2021/22 thread already?

38. Sbooker

Yep. I like most have written off 20/21. I'm starting to really get concerned about 21/22 actually.

retread and chicski like this.
  39. main street

Considering both of the leading vaccine trials have been immediately suspended, 21/22 is not off the table yet by any means.

Chalkie likes this.
  40. main street

More on potential border openings,..... Don't hold your breath...... The US border will be the first one to open and then more OS "borders" will be opened after that.... It certainly won't be in 2020.....

Pay no attention to that idiot trump,..... He wouldn't know his ass from his elbow.

When it comes to reopening the Canada-U.S. border next week, Trudeau and Trump appear to be sending mixed messages.

Per their latest agreement, borders between the two countries are to remain shut until October 21, although this could change once again.

Speaking on the issue earlier this week, the Canadian PM described being concerned about easing the current restrictions on non-essential travel.

The United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders.

"We have committed to keeping Canadians safe and we keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders," Trudeau explained on October 14.

Conversely, the American president has implied that travel restrictions between the two countries could end sooner, rather than later.

Speaking in September, Donald Trump said, "We're looking at the border with Canada — Canada would like it open."

"We're gonna be opening the borders pretty soon," he said at the time, adding, "We want to get back to normal business."

This isn't the first time they've appeared to disagree over border closures, either.

In April, Trump said that these borders would be some of the first to reopen, a comment that Trudeau later refuted.

41. sly_karma

Closing the border back in March seemed momentous, it has never happened in modern times. But almost seven months in, it seems of little import. Trucks are moving commercial shipments across, you can fly in between the two countries with a good reason and a quarantine plan. Citizens who have genuine reasons to cross like essential work can do so. Most people accept that travel to/from the US is discretionary, not necessary. Canada can handle the loss of tourist revenue, especially now that the busiest season for that has ended. Justin will continue to press for the borders to remain closed.

MarzNC, Chalkie, Roymond and 2 others like this.
  42. sly_karma

... and they just extended closure another month to Nov 21. As predicted.

MarzNC and Roymond like this.
  43. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As in 21st of November 2020, not November 2021 I presume;)

44. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Just means more snow for the locals!

45. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How much does Red depend on travelers from the U.S. I'm thinking about the people who would fly into Spokane and drive across the border from there?

Jay Peak in northern Vermont normally has half their business from Canada. Jay has announced no lift access reservations required. They just joined the Indy Pass to try to entice Americans to make the long drive north. On top of a closed USA/Canada border, Vermont has some of the most restrictive travel restrictions even for New England.

46. gareth_oau

just saw this clip of Raft Mountain, located near Clearwater, about 120km north of Kamloops.

The scenery is amazing, but there's a lake at the 1m mark and its stunning, lookd like a scene from a fantasy moview

Attached Files:

sly_karma likes this.
  47. sly_karma

Lots of those little pot lakes scattered across the interior BC plateaus. Classic late spring/early summer fishing destinations.

48. Sbooker

Fishing for what species?

49. main street

Trout mostly.

50. sly_karma

Most lakes have a deeper basin that provides a sufficiently oxygenated environment for rainbows to survive the winter below the ice. Plus in the spring most lakes are restocked with hatchery fish.