1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2020 Kendo and Mantra V Werks reviews

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FatBoyDave, Sep 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So my old Brahmas are starting to de layer.
    Well at least the top sheet on both skis is coming off in a number of locations and there's only so much re gluing I'm prepared to do.

As a potential replacement for something in the all mountain 85-90mm underfoot.
    I skied the Mantra M5's last year and liked that they were manageable at low speed, had a manageable turn radius for Aus resorts and didn't just want to go mach 10 all the time (like the previous version Mantras). So based on this I was interested in the "new" 2020 Volkl Kendos that use the same construction but are just that little bit thinner underfoot.
    Has anyone demoed this years Kendo's and want to comment?

Additionally...
    While researching I saw the Mantra V Werks (which looks to be a very different ski) and modelled on the 100eight skis rather than the M5 titanal construction. These look to be a good (but maybe expensive?) backcountry/powder ski.
    Anyone tried them or care to comment??
    I saw a pair in Ausski and they are super light. They guy at Ausski said he demoed them and they were really "precise". I have no idea what that means.. I watch the ski essentials youtube demo and they said pretty much the same thing, maybe that's where he got hte term from?
    I saw this review on BLISTER for the Katana V werks, which while not the same ski does seem to be from the same construction.
    https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-volkl-v-werks-katana/1

2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

My mate in Queenstown had the Mantra Vwerks. While he liked the way they skied they delaminated really easy and Volkl would not fix them under warranty because he had bought them while on holiday in Whistler.
    Left a very bad taste in his mouth. I must point out that this was the NZ distributor not Aust.
    He now skis on the DPS Cassiar 95. He,s a big unit over 100kg and loves the performance.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  3. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

V-works is a full carbon layer lightweight ski more designed for touring purpose.
    If it gets skied hard in resorts it will probably break down significantly quicker than a Brahma, M5 mantra, kendo that has Titanal laminates built in to the ski.

The Kendo is a great ski, skis like the Mantra’s thinner brother. Has a very similar construction but in a narrower profile.
    Check out the enforcer 88 also, is a tad more forgiving than your Brahma, which would be nice in spring Aus conditions

FatBoyDave likes this.