1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report 2020 Mt.Stirling Trip reports/chat/ XC ski news

Discussion in 'National Parks' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I just thought I would jump in early and start the ball rolling for the 2020 XC ski season at Mt. Stirling . I hope the moderators do not object.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.mtstirling.com.au/snow-report/

Update - 21 June 2020

From 11:59pm on 31 May, overnight stays and camping are again permitted. Check the details of the new guidelines here.

• The resort is open
    • The Stirling Cafe plans to open from Thursday 25 June - Sunday 28 June and operations will be reviewed pending snow conditions and visitation demands.
      • Take away options will be available and limited seating inside
    • If you are hiking/camping and generally exploring please ensure you make a trip plan and someone knows where and when you are going and when you expect to return.
    • Please follow the directions of all posted signs and closures.
    • Seasonal road closures- are in place. No vehicle access beyond Telephone Box Junction. More info>
    • Resort entry fees- anyone visiting Mt Buller and Mt Stirling from the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend MUST pre-purchase a resort entry pass online and carry wheel chains.
    • Pre-purchased ticketed entry enables the resort to effectively manage capacity in accordance with the Victorian Governments’ public health measures. It also sustains essential including snow clearing, parking and public facilities.
    • There is NO tobogganing in resort, this will be reviewed after 13 July.

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What! No coffee! Nooo! Can’t be! How can I see with no Pre trail coffee? Will Have to buy two serves at. Mansfield then? :):whistle:

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Bring a Thermos . The Huts now have a 4 humans per hut policy too. So if you do have a Mt. Stirling ski day then make it a weekday ski( or just fang it out to Howqua Gap and back , conditions permitting).
    I am glad I have well hidden a supply drop near Mt. No. 3 Refuge hut . :) . This is the year to do that BC trip .

6. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

How hidden is hidden?:whistle:

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Very well hidden. I used a GPS to log it because I will not find again otherwise . It is NOT that near the hut if you are curious. That would be very silly and obvious !

8. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

;)

9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If anyone is looking to do a weekend day trip up to Stirling and wants to drag along a novice splitboarder, I'm keen and can supply espresso to fuel the adventure.

Otherwise, I hope to be able to add to the reports here by July 11 or 12 following a trip with Let's Split.

10. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Please take snowshoes, leave the track in good condition for others. Share the mountain.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Looking at the forecast , Sat. July 4th could be skiable from TBJ to Howqua Gap hut and back. That route does not leave much scope for split boarding but for both classic and skate XC skiers it is a fine outing.

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

snowgum likes this.
  13. chriscross

But does Jane's forecast refer to the top of Stirling? (1700m) or the base? You're right, cams will tell.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ms. Bunn's Forecasting for Mt. Stirling is usually for 1600 M. at Bluff Spur Hut but you can select the 1400 M. mark for a different reading. That is still predicting 13 cms at 1400M.
    I am hopeful that skaters and classic rock hoppers will have enough cover to ski from TBJ to Howqua Gap hut and back on Sunday . Such a route requires 10 cms or more down to 1300 M. It is a 16 km. round trip , a good work out and helps get the ski fitness back up and running after a long off season.

15. chriscross

Looks xpnv. MSG for me.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will be coming from Myrtleford early on Sunday so MSG will not be feasible.
    The Forecast for Mt. Stirling has now turned around something wicked :woohoo:. It is now the pick of VIC . Locations in the prognostications.
    http://www.janebunn.net/mt-stirling
    . In fact based on a hunch, the improved forecasting and outlook for snow :ski: and the fact that I have no computer access or printer where I will be staying on The weekend ( My mob. phone is antediluvian at best ),
    I have dropped coin on a Falls Ck. gate pass for this Sat. and also for Sunday at Mt. Stirling.
    I have printed them out in advance as per the new Plague Restriction rules. Who dares wins. If it is skiable on the old classic rock hoppers then I will be happy , if it is more than merely skiable and the top shelf BC XC skis get some action then I will have won :cool::nerd::skier::party:.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Fitting chains to all vehicles at Mt.Stirling....... 3/7/20.