Travel Life 2021/2022 - Canada Plans

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Place to start dreaming....

Me a bit of a road trip, incorporating Fernie, Kimberly and Panorama....hopefully also a detour inland to Apex :) Nothing booked as yet just working out dates. probably book the cattery first :)

I am crossing fingers that with the vaccine roll out travel will be okay next season.

Reactions: Roymond

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
Place to start dreaming....

Me a bit of a road trip, incorporating Fernie, Kimberly and Panorama....hopefully also a detour inland to Apex :) Nothing booked as yet just working out dates. probably book the cattery first :)

I am crossing fingers that with the vaccine roll out travel will be okay next season.

Sounds like a good plan Crystal. Wouldn't spend too many days at Kimberly. Not a whole lot there, just an opinion before people stomp on me :)

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I currently have a plan mapped out - the only question is whether is starts in December 21.

We have a group of Me and Nikki, 3 sons, one daughter in law and 2 girtfriends

The evolving plan is for a week or so at SP, followed by a flight yo Calgary and a road trip back to SP for another 2 weeks.

My difficulty with my deteriorating eyrsight is car hire/driving, and also if it continues to deteriorate whether I will be able to ski/board at all.

For this I'm keen to travel sooner rather than later

Reactions: Roymond

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Just so hard to even consider booking anything. I guess booking accommodation that can be cancelled very late in the piece can’t really hurt.

Reactions: Crystal

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Just so hard to even consider booking anything. I guess booking accommodation that can be cancelled very late in the piece can’t really hurt.

That depends on the size of the deposit you pay, and if the owner doesnt go bankrupt when you want your refund

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
Did Kimberly and Panorama January this year.
Would cut Kimberly to 4 days and spend more time at either Panorama or Fernie.
Would have enjoyed stomping on you @Captain Caveman but fully agree.

Much prefer it when you slaughter me @northsail.
Something about Kimberly which is my least fav resort in Canada not considering the local mountains in Vancouver. Just wasn't for me I guess. We were done with it in about half a day.

Reactions: northsail

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
There's been lots of chatter in our household with children saying rather than road trip they may be more interested in putting down roots in a couple of fave resorts and just skiing like mad.
I only ever went to 2 resorts each trip, but the daughter and I sat down during planning for a trip and decided we would rather lob in one place for a couple of weeks with some travel either side. We perfected it by finding a service that would ship snow gear back to Australia from the resort.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
There's been lots of chatter in our household with children saying rather than road trip they may be more interested in putting down roots in a couple of fave resorts and just skiing like mad.
road trips arent for everyone and can be very boring for kids.

The upsides in staying in one or two places:
  • you can justify a season pass and reduce your daily costs
  • longer stays earn bigger accommodation discounts
  • you can afford to take days off just to relax, go hiking whatever - you dont have to hammer every day
  • build a great relationship with the locals
  • starts to feel like you are at home (this is dangerous -you will want to live there!!!)

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
We’ve always done the road trip style - even when the kids were 3 and 5. They’re now going on 14 and 16 and I’m wondering if they would be bored by staying put in one place? The idea does has certain appeal though.
Maybe we could cut it down to two destinations plus a city break?

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We've also dine the road trip every so many years with our kids and they are fine and have thrived on it...I guess next season they will be anticipating the need to just ski like crazy people.

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
We've also dine the road trip every so many years with our kids and they are fine and have thrived on it...I guess next season they will be anticipating the need to just ski like crazy people.

I very much enjoyed skiing with those crazy kids, bet they are a lot faster now :).

Reactions: Crystal

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
I would like to be optimistic about 2021/2022 but with all the craziness still happening will we be able to travel? I think after this Christmas (northern beaches resident) we will book 3 different holidays next Christmas, one to Canada, one interstate and one local just to be on the safe side!

Reactions: Roymond and Crystal

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Yeah I am also hopeful that we can travel but looking at the world it's still a bit crazy. We'll plan and book regardless and hope for the best.

You know where I live. There will be salmon.

You know where we live too,.... Currently weighing up a short term focus shift that could result in us being in Canada for at least part of winter..... ;)

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
995FCE2E-4FB9-4D37-B1BE-7309105E2268.png
Canmore looking great at the moment

Reactions: Chalkie

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hold on to your butts......

The federal government has confirmed that Canada’s international travel restrictions are to be extended even further.

Sharing the announcement via Twitter, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said officials will “never hesitate to take the strong action needed to keep Canadians safe from emerging variants of #COVID19.”

April 21

The new end-date for the restrictions

Before the update, the restrictions on non-U.S. international travel were set to end on February 21, 2021.

However, due in part to emerging COVID-19 variants, the date has been extended once again.

The rule means that Canada’s borders will remain closed to all non-essential travellers from other countries.

The regulation excludes visitors from the United States, but ongoing travel restrictions at the Canada-U.S. border have also been extended.

Blair confirmed that Canada’s land and air borders would also stay shut to discretionary travel from the States, until at least March 21, 2021.

This date will mark one year since a non-essential travel ban was first implemented between the two countries.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-22_7-49-52.png
    upload_2021-2-22_7-49-52.png
    68 bytes · Views: 3

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
H
I currently have a plan mapped out - the only question is whether is starts in December 21.

We have a group of Me and Nikki, 3 sons, one daughter in law and 2 girtfriends

The evolving plan is for a week or so at SP, followed by a flight yo Calgary and a road trip back to SP for another 2 weeks.

My difficulty with my deteriorating eyrsight is car hire/driving, and also if it continues to deteriorate whether I will be able to ski/board at all.

For this I'm keen to travel sooner rather than later
How is this developing.. ?? I see July being talked about as the OS start , We will plan SP in January.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
H

How is this developing.. ?? I see July being talked about as the OS start , We will plan SP in January.

I'm not holding my breath. I will get my jabs earlier than most because of my diabetes, but others in my group will take longer.

My big concern is that holiday costs are likely to be significanlty higher in the first roud without any typical discounts being available, and then the bulk of my group won't be able to afford it.

I suspect we will be looking at late december 2022, but I havent given up yet!!

My oppositr concern is that my eyesight is rapidly deteriorating, and a big half of me doesnt want to wait another 2 years just in case

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
The Canadian govt will have you in agony by mid November when they still haven't opened borders and airports. I think by Christmas it will be open but much uncertainty before that.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
The Canadian govt will have you in agony by mid November when they still haven't opened borders and airports. I think by Christmas it will be open but much uncertainty before that.
Cmon @sly_karma , Justin will open to Aussie skiers. Everyone loves us. And we aren’t festy like your brethren south of the border.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
In the fall and winter the Americans and other international visitors for the most part aren't interested in tourism to Canada (summer tourism is orders of magnitude greater than winter). The real fear at that time of year is the constant coming and going of Canadians to the US in search of warm sand/cold beer, and the weekly shopping runs for cheap petrol and dairy.

Vaccine programs are gathering momentum but so too are the new variants. Canada can expect another surge in coming weeks before spring lets us go outside. Cases subside over summer anyway, but then in September everyone will be watching and wondering if another wave will hit. We will be well into November before it becomes clear that vaccination has done the job and restrictions can be eased. Hence my prediction of a stressful uncertainty as we wait to see what the ski season might look like for 2022.

Reactions: Chalkie and Roymond

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
Loving the optimism. Considering we still might have to do the 2 weeks quarantine on the return to Oz , that would make it an expensive holiday. Then there is the mumblings also of doing mandatory quarantine when entering Canada. Take an extra 4 weeks out of our holidays to sit in a hotel room at full price. Waiting until November to book flights, accom and season passes at full price will add to the pain. I see we can actually book flights with Air Canada now for under $2K. Not bad compared to the circa $1300 I usually pay. Hmm, book now and sit in hope, wait to November and then risk the rip off that could be. Supply and demand could have the airlines potentially doubling prices .

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Loving the optimism. Considering we still might have to do the 2 weeks quarantine on the return to Oz , that would make it an expensive holiday. Then there is the mumblings also of doing mandatory quarantine when entering Canada. Take an extra 4 weeks out of our holidays to sit in a hotel room at full price. Waiting until November to book flights, accom and season passes at full price will add to the pain. I see we can actually book flights with Air Canada now for under $2K. Not bad compared to the circa $1300 I usually pay. Hmm, book now and sit in hope, wait to November and then risk the rip off that could be. Supply and demand could have the airlines potentially doubling prices .
If tied to school holidays Banff/Pano/Kicking Horse at Easter is nice.
I agree Christmas is too iffy.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Can you get back?
Last time I looked at their website, I could book the flight into kamloops, but getting back to Oz was a very circuitous journey.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Not only iffy but prices might be higher as operators try to claw back lost revenue
I guess there was lost revenue last season with most resorts closing 3-4 weeks early, but they're making it back this year. Seaskn pass and day pass sales both well up. Snowbirds can't fly south and families can't do other winter sports like hockey, curling, martial arts, indoor soccer etc. Any outdoor gear is in hot demand, skis and snowboards were mostly sold out by Christmas, and snow machine prices are red hot - if you can get one.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I guess there was lost revenue last season with most resorts closing 3-4 weeks early, but they're making it back this year. Seaskn pass and day pass sales both well up. Snowbirds can't fly south and families can't do other winter sports like hockey, curling, martial arts, indoor soccer etc. Any outdoor gear is in hot demand, skis and snowboards were mostly sold out by Christmas, and snow machine prices are red hot - if you can get one.

i was thinking the loss of discount airfares and car r rentals

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Ah right. My friends who still have to travel for work tell me the flights are already eye watering. This is BC/western Canada regional travel which was quite expensive before the pandemic anyway, the old small volume/long distances problem that can't really be avoided in a large country with a small population.

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
Similar here too Sly as you would know.
Look at a return flight Kelowna or Kamloops to Van are circa $400 . Short distance regional.
You can buy a flight today Van to Calgary for $99
Sydney to Port Macquarie , circa $350
Sydney to Melb easy to find for under $100

jgm

Addicted
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
48 hours from original booking. Up til 7 days before check-in it's 50%, ie the amount we've paid already. However I've found that you can usually negotiate a date change without too much trouble if covid closures are still in place.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Yeah, seems likely. Most businesses here are planning for another no Americans summer season. Some of the slack will be taken up by Canadians visiting BC, but the higher end tourist operators who draw their clientele from worldwide will be down again. Rail and bus tours like Rocky Mountaineer, RV rentals, fishing lodges, wildlife/ecotourism lodges, whitewater rafting, hunting guide outfitters, all will suffer. Definitely no cruise ships, and today the province confirmed there is no chance they will permit gatherings of 500+ this summer. Although tough news, at least it allows organizers of music festivals and other large events to cancel their plans and move on.

Fortunately for BC, tourism is only 8-9% of provincial GDP, not as big a hit to the economy as many would think. Unemployment continues to fall and now sits at 6.9%. Some industries like construction are crying out for workers because it's so busy.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
spreadsheet is coming along nicely......I'll be ready when the rest of the world is :)

Might not be for quite a while yet......

Ontario students move to virtual learning indefinitely amid record-high COVID-19 cases

Students will be staying in remote learning indefinitely following the April Break as the province continues to see record breaking COVID-19 case and ICU numbers, the Ontario government says.

Ontario students were supposed to return to in-person learning after taking the week off for their delayed March Break.

Students in the hot spot regions of Peel, Toronto and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph, were already moved to virtual learning the week before the break.

Peel Region moved its students online the Tuesday after Easter Monday, while Toronto and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph followed suit on Wednesday.

The government said the decision to reopen for in-person learning will be based on public health data.

"As soon as we get the go-ahead from Dr. Williams and his colleagues, we'll make sure parents know with advance notice that they can plan for their kids to return to school," Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce said.

Premier Doug Ford made the announcement alongside Lecce, Minister of Health Christine Elliott and Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health at Queen's Park Monday afternoon.

"It's a risk I won't take," Ford said about the decision. "No one wants their kids in school more than I do but with COVID spreading like wildfire ... we simply can't be too cautious right now."

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
ON is in serious trouble. ICUs are maxed out in Toronto so they're air transferring patients to available beds as much as 400 km away.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass