2021 Epic Australia Pass $859

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Thought i would sneak in the pass purchace past the boss , orderd off the app on my phone,2 minutes later
I get a phone call," why are you getting email receipts from Vail group".
Season 21, bring it on.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
Does anyone have any idea on how to calculate whether the EAP will be worth it next year? Im a city dweller up in Sydney so wont have as much access to the mountains as others living close by. This will be the first time I'm getting the EAP and without being able to find lift prices from previous years (off peak/peak/shoulder), been finding it hard to crunch the numbers. Also, to play devil's advocate, Mountain Collective also seems like decent value - but does Perisher > Thredbo?

Dunno about weekly passes etc. but if you ski weekends you “ski for free” after five days.

The "ski free after 5 days" marketing line risks being a little misleading, as it assumes that the non-season pass alternative involves buying full-priced tickets for 1 or 2 days every time, which is of course the most expensive way to ski.

Buying 3+ multiday tickets or mate's-rates tickets from other season pass holders would reduce your costs as a non-season pass holder, raising the threshold for the season pass to break even.

I don't have the numbers from previous seasons at hand to share with Nitroaddict, but would suggest from our number crunching that the season pass breaks even after ~10+ days. This is, of course, precisely where the season pass is marketed - to try to get the 1-week-a-year skiers to pay a little bit more (and to commit upfront) for a lot more potential value.

Being a city dweller like Nitro, I do 3-5 days in the resort plus other trips for side and backcountry. I bought season passes on 4 previous years where I stayed down there for 3-4 weeks at a time, but have stopped buying them for now.

So if you're not doing that many days in the resort, then do have a think whether the season pass is worth it for you. If you're doing lots of days, go for it.

Reactions: dawooduck

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
The "ski free after 5 days" marketing line risks being a little misleading, as it assumes that the non-season pass alternative involves buying full-priced tickets for 1 or 2 days every time, which is of course the most expensive way to ski.

Buying 3+ multiday tickets or mate's-rates tickets from other season pass holders would reduce your costs as a non-season pass holder, raising the threshold for the season pass to break even.

I don't have the numbers from previous seasons at hand to share with Nitroaddict, but would suggest from our number crunching that the season pass breaks even after ~10+ days. This is, of course, precisely where the season pass is marketed - to try to get the 1-week-a-year skiers to pay a little bit more (and to commit upfront) for a lot more potential value.

Being a city dweller like Nitro, I do 3-5 days in the resort plus other trips for side and backcountry. I bought season passes on 4 previous years where I stayed down there for 3-4 weeks at a time, but have stopped buying them for now.

So if you're not doing that many days in the resort, then do have a think whether the season pass is worth it for you. If you're doing lots of days, go for it.
Crazy ...ski for a week just get the value and use overseas ..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
As I said, I only ski weekends and if you do then five days and you are in front.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
As I said, I only ski weekends and if you do then five days and you are in front.

There are many ways to slice and dice it. Previously we would opt for 3 adult family members with season passes. For next year we have gone for 2 SP but taking advantage of the discounted day tickets provided, for the one person with less free time next year for extended periods of skiing

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I’ve locked in my pass and ones for my boys too. As a Canberra resident it makes for an easy trip, and even with the challenges of this season I managed 19 days at Perisher. I suspect COVID-19 will still be around (and no vaccine yet available) for 2021, so am purchasing with my eyes wide open.

Muddy

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2012
considering whether to throw down a deposit or just wait and see what happens. I think it's likely we won't have a vaccine prior to the next Aus season so restrictions would likely apply again in season 2021, making the pass less attractive to me (for my own uninteresting reasons). I'm a bit tempted to risk the deposit anyway, but a bit concerned about the below extract from the Ts&Cs. It could be read as saying if you decide to put down a deposit you are 100% committed to buying the pass and can't cancel before the final payment. Any thoughts?

BY PAYING EITHER YOUR INITIAL PAYMENT OR YOUR PAYMENT IN FULL FOR YOUR EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE COMMITTING TO BUY THE EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES)FOR THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SEASON AND THE 2021-2022 NORTHERN HEMISPHERE SEASON. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WHEN PURCHASING EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES)WITH AN INITIAL PAYMENT, YOU REPRESENT THAT THE CREDIT CARD YOU PROVIDE WILL BE AUTHORIZED FOR PAYMENT OF THE REMAINING BALANCE OF YOUR PURCHASE ON OR ABOUT 1 MAY 2021 OR A LATER DATE AS COMMUNICATED BY US. WHERE YOU FAIL TO PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE WHEN IT FALLS DUE PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SKI SEASON, YOU FORFEIT ANY RIGHT TO THE PASS. YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO CANCEL OR OBTAIN A REFUND ON YOUR EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) PURCHASE AFTER THE INITIAL PART PAYMENT OR FULL PAYMENT OR RECEIVE A REFUND OF THE EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) FEES (OR ANY PART THEREOF) UNLESS: 1) WE HAVE FAILED TO COMPLY WITH THE CONSUMER...​

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
considering whether to throw down a deposit or just wait and see what happens. I think it's likely we won't have a vaccine prior to the next Aus season so restrictions would likely apply again in season 2021, making the pass less attractive to me (for my own uninteresting reasons). I'm a bit tempted to risk the deposit anyway, but a bit concerned about the below extract from the Ts&Cs. It could be read as saying if you decide to put down a deposit you are 100% committed to buying the pass and can't cancel before the final payment. Any thoughts?

BY PAYING EITHER YOUR INITIAL PAYMENT OR YOUR PAYMENT IN FULL FOR YOUR EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE COMMITTING TO BUY THE EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES)FOR THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SEASON AND THE 2021-2022 NORTHERN HEMISPHERE SEASON. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WHEN PURCHASING EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES)WITH AN INITIAL PAYMENT, YOU REPRESENT THAT THE CREDIT CARD YOU PROVIDE WILL BE AUTHORIZED FOR PAYMENT OF THE REMAINING BALANCE OF YOUR PURCHASE ON OR ABOUT 1 MAY 2021 OR A LATER DATE AS COMMUNICATED BY US. WHERE YOU FAIL TO PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE WHEN IT FALLS DUE PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE 2021 AUSTRALIAN SKI SEASON, YOU FORFEIT ANY RIGHT TO THE PASS. YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO CANCEL OR OBTAIN A REFUND ON YOUR EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) PURCHASE AFTER THE INITIAL PART PAYMENT OR FULL PAYMENT OR RECEIVE A REFUND OF THE EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS(ES) FEES (OR ANY PART THEREOF) UNLESS: 1) WE HAVE FAILED TO COMPLY WITH THE CONSUMER...​

The T&Cs are pretty clear- it isn’t a deposit, it is the initial payment you are paying. You are committing to pay the outstanding balance when it is due

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yep, deposit is an inappropriate term. It is just the 1st instalment. Don't do it unless you intend paying the remaining amount in may.

Read the insurance provisions. Expect them to honour what is promised, but not anything that isn't.

nitroaddict

First Runs
Sep 24, 2020

10 days seems like a lot to breakeven. I would have thought by my calculations that a 3 day weekend plus a couple of weekends on top would be enough to equal the price of the pass. Assuming also that lift pass prices will increase again next year.

Alternatively, what are my other options? So far, ive seen Mountain Collective, and groupon deals which may work out cheaper depending on how many days you go.

Weird that no one has past lift ticket prices.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
10 days seems like a lot to breakeven. I would have thought by my calculations that a 3 day weekend plus a couple of weekends on top would be enough to equal the price of the pass. Assuming also that lift pass prices will increase again next year.

Alternatively, what are my other options? So far, ive seen Mountain Collective, and groupon deals which may work out cheaper depending on how many days you go.

This was from 2019 have to factor in 2 years worth of price rises and depending on Covid restrictions if they even offer these types of options.

https://onsnow.com.au/wp-content/up...p-2019-Lift-Passes-Lessons-Hire-Pricelist.pdf

Current daily ticket pricing is $152

Now if you go back to school holidays this year this was the pricing ouch.
F4535590-EF1B-4AE9-A618-9744F4C8CD74.jpeg

One thing to factor in on top of that early on you had reservation system for epic pass holders up until around the 18th July. For me the system was terrible I could not get one single day luckily my accommodation allowed me to move to late end of season. Hopefully they will improve this next year.

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
Not sure why anyone would collect old lift ticket prices, they go up a little bit each year and so do season passes. I'd think most people have worked out what works for them and stick to it.
If you ski weekends breaking even after five days has been the situation pretty much since the introduction of cheap season passes, before that it was about 10 days when the pass was at around $1400.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Not sure why anyone would collect old lift ticket prices, they go up a little bit each year and so do season passes. I'd think most people have worked out what works for them and stick to it.
I prefer your approach, I think it’s easier:)

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
For 2021:

• Back for 2021! 6 Bring a Mate discount invitations: Guests will receive 6 invites for discounted, 1 day lift tickets valid across Perisher, Falls Creek or Hotham to share with your mates and when they buy online in advance, they can save up to 50%.
Yes, I've just found that after switching to my laptop instead of my tiny device. Do you thin this applies to a child pass?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
For the Mates invites it is "up to" 50%. From this cynical me assumes that weekend discounts will be minimal, maybe 10% or 20% and would probably they have to be purchased in advance by xxx? days. I'm trying to decide whether to buy 2 Adults Passes and 2 Child/Secondary passes or 1 of each then use the discounts for the other adult and secondary student. I will likely ski 10+ days but my wife and kids (in year 11 next year) are more likely to fall between 5 and 10 days including a 5 day mid-week. Of course if the weather is really crap on some days in that mid-week maybe we'd ski 3 of 5 days on that trip,

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I've emailed my enquiry to Epic Australia to clarify if Bring a Mate applies to the child/secondary passes. Still not phone number to call them.
I do note that with the discounts only applying to single day tickets they may not be worth much on weekends, school holidays or peak season.

Reactions: Chaeron

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
The other consideration is that if covid restrictions in 2021 require bookings again and limited non-pass tickets then without an Epic pass per family member we might not be able to get tickets or allocations for everybody on the same day.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The other consideration is that if covid restrictions in 2021 require bookings again and limited non-pass tickets then without an Epic pass per family member we might not be able to get tickets or allocations for everybody on the same day.
That’s the core issue.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
To ensure your Epic Coverage is tailored to your skiing and riding preferences, once you have completed the checkout process you will have the opportunity to answer two questions about the resort(s) you would like to have covered and when you plan to ski or ride.

Nothing about that here when I checked out

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Log back in, go to personal preferences and then select each individual and then you have the option to nominate a core resort/ period.

Found it!

It is in Account -> Epic Coverage

You can set it once for yourself and let that be the default for everyone in your family

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
@Chaeron you are now listed as an "OutLiar", what's that about?

I asked Epic via email earlier today if the STUDENT pass also gets Bring a Mate invites and if they can be used for adults and what % discounts would apply to weekends and school holidays. The response below wasn't definitive so I've asked for clarification in a second query. The purchase in advance requirement reduces the value for me. Could require weeks to get up to the 50% discount rate. Weather and snow conditions are important for me when deciding to book and pack and travel and go up to ski.

"Thanks for contacting the Epic Australia Pass team.
Bring A Mate tickets can be purchased for any age – Adult, Student or Over 65. The pricing can be up to 50% off depending on day purchasing for and how far in advance. We cannot provide an estimate cost as we have not released lift ticket pricing for 2021 winter."

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
@Chaeron you are now listed as an "OutLiar", what's that about?

I asked Epic via email earlier today if the STUDENT pass also gets Bring a Mate invites and if they can be used for adults and what % discounts would apply to weekends and school holidays. The response below wasn't definitive so I've asked for clarification in a second query. The purchase in advance requirement reduces the value for me. Could require weeks to get up to the 50% discount rate. Weather and snow conditions are important for me when deciding to book and pack and travel and go up to ski.

"Thanks for contacting the Epic Australia Pass team.
Bring A Mate tickets can be purchased for any age – Adult, Student or Over 65. The pricing can be up to 50% off depending on day purchasing for and how far in advance. We cannot provide an estimate cost as we have not released lift ticket pricing for 2021 winter."
Good to know Epic are on it.

( @Goski - my new ‘byline’ is just a bad Dad pun - combining the idea of statistical outlier with out and out liar - of course, outing yourself as a liar - do people know if you’re telling the truth? - Homage to one of my favourite paradoxes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox: “Epimenides, a Cretan, reportedly stated that "All Cretans are liars.”)

Reactions: Goski

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Didn't know about those preferences.

Does anyone know how much do they influence the refund / insurance process?

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
100% this needs to be factored in, from my perspective the reservation system was not good, didn’t secure 1 single day whilst that was in place whilst others managed multiple days and I feel 1 person who secured every single day.

I was lucky that my accommodation provider allowed me to move the dates albeit in the middle of spring. The ones later in the season told me it was my problem, which it is so fair enough.

Had it continued it would of been interesting how many days I could of secured.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Didn't know about those preferences.

Does anyone know how much do they influence the refund / insurance process?
Significantly - e.g. if you live in Vic and have nominated Perisher as your chosen resort and the NSW border closes you would be eligible for a refund.

Equally, say you nominate Hotham and it closes, then you’re eligible. If you did not nominate they could refuse a refund on the basis that Perisher/Falls was still open.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Significantly - e.g. if you live in Vic and have nominated Perisher as your chosen resort and the NSW border closes you would be eligible for a refund.

Equally, say you nominate Hotham and it closes, then you’re eligible. If you did not nominate they could refuse a refund on the basis that Perisher/Falls was still open.

Thanks @Chaeron, I've put Falls for 2nd week of July school holidays - haven't booked anything but it's a safe bet.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
May need a kids pass too now. 6 year old..

Seems they would get up to 20% off lessons too??

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass